Suikoden Unique and Irenic Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anybody else think THEY ARE rushing the Suikoden Series now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh well, okay then, I was a bit upset about the connection of "real fans" to PS3.

shinobix wrote:
But seriously, the PS3 needs Suikoden. The system isn't doing to well around the world, there isn't even a handful of JRPGs for the system, and a game like SVI would help bring in some much needed consumer base... Or at least please the RPGgamers that went out and dropped 700 bucks on the sytem.

That could be a catastrophe. PS3 is in dire need of games, but that means that less and less people will buy it. This could mean that Suikoden VI on PS3 could be a complete flop because of the small userbase. And what about all the people that didn't buy a PS3? They would be really upset that a game like Suikoden VI was released on a system that very few people own and that still costs more than the PS2 at launch.

Remember Suikoden III. Some of that game's problems and delays were due to moving to a new platform, the PS2, and having to start the development from scratch. Same thing with PS3, the developers don't have any previous experience with the notoriously difficult Cell processor, which means that the development could take a long time when they do everything up from scratch again and that the game might suffer from some problems and delays because of it. Now witness the Wii, which is getting several PS2 upgrades like Okami and Bully. It seems pretty obvious that it's easy to move from PS2 development to Wii development, which would mean that the Suikoden development team should have an easier time with it as well. Knowing how to do stuff well helps to prevent rushing.

shinobix wrote:
Or at least please the RPGgamers that went out and dropped 700 bucks on the sytem.

This is a difficult situation for PS3... people should make informed decisions when buying consoles, and buy the console only when the games they want are out or close to release. Suikoden VI might still be coming to PS3, there's no way of knowing without Konami's confirmation. But for RPGs, they take a long time to develop, and the current situation is that consoles that came out earlier like PS2, Xbox 360, DS and PSP have the most RPGs. Even Wii is only starting to get its own RPGs now, a year after being in the market, though it can play GameCube RPGs through backwards compatibility and older RPGs through Virtual Console.

I think the situation is confusing Konami as well, that's why they're being so silent.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The more I think about it, isn't it almost a necessity to move Suikoden to a system like the Wii? If Konami can't even recoup PS3 production costs from a mega-hit like Metal Gear Solid 4, what chance do they have to do so with Suikoden? Zero, zilch, and nada. It would kill me to see Suikoden VI be the last entry in the series. Unless Konami reconsiders, keeping Suikoden on the PS2 for the time-being, I'm not really sure what other option they have. The support of the Japanese audience certainly wouldn't hurt. It's really a matter of how many Wii-owning American consumers give Suikoden a chance, versus sales Konami would lose to Sony loyalists, I would think. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would appreciate any feedback.
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only thing that worries me about moving consoles is the fact that the game could change completely... i mean look at what happened to the Final Fantasy game that came out for the GameCube. I was excited to hear that FF would be on GC and then they gave us that stupid multiplayer game.

If it came out on the Wii the game mechanics would HAVE to change just because of the controler the Wii uses. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but it is much more likely to go horribly horribly wrong then it is to be a step in the right direction. I'm just saying if the game were to change systems the developers would have to be very careful in how they do it.

But you realize that it will probably be on the PS3 just because Konami hasn't really been having much success with games on Wii or XBOX (then again they haven't been having much success with PS2 games and they currently only have one PS3 game). At least that just my guess as to why they wouldn't cross to another platform.

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A Wiimote/Nunchuk motion capture control for a Suikoden game would make me sick! If they do put the next one on Wii, it better use the sideways Wiimote "old fashion" control style.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, not trying to get on anyones back but there is a topic out there to discuss the next Suikoden Title possibly being on the Nintendo Wii, it can be found here:

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20793&start=150

On the topic of if they are rushing the Suikoden games, I think that the delay we're seeing says that they are not rushing anything at all. Unless they should spring Suikoden VI, and VII on us in the next couple months like they did with IV and V it's a safe bet that they're taking their time with this title and the rush for Suikoden IV and V was just to beat the release of the next gen systems so they could get started on a title for one of the next gen systems. They wanted to grab PS2 players before everyone rushed out and picked up a new system and forgot about the new titles for the old.

I hate you Onimaru.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Sony wants to play it safe, I wonder if they'd consider keeping Suikoden on the PS2 for now, and making a port for the Wii at the same time? They know about what to expect, sales wise, from PS2 owners. That'd be their cushion, just in case it doesn't go over well with Nintendo fans. I dunno. Dumb idea? I simply wish all the speculation would end, and an official announcement would come from Konami HQ. It's driving me nuts.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BlackKnightYuber wrote:
If Sony wants to play it safe, I wonder if they'd consider keeping Suikoden on the PS2 for now, and making a port for the Wii at the same time? They know about what to expect, sales wise, from PS2 owners. That'd be their cushion, just in case it doesn't go over well with Nintendo fans. I dunno. Dumb idea?

Not really no, Europe wise with the release of the 40GB PS3 PS2 sales actually went up also, albeit slightly, but at the same time Suikoden really isn't "suited" to the Wii because outside of the mini games there's really no use for most of the motion sensoring and it's not niche so therefore the target audience would really be minimal from what it could be. The more viable prospect would be a form of HD release (to appease the crowd of better graphics = better gaming experience) and a past gen / handheld release, since unlike the Wii, Suikoden could actually make use of the Stylus on the DS (mainly the difference is with the precision & timing). So releasing on the PS2 is still viable, and what i see as less viable despite the market share is a release on the Wii.

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BlackKnightYuber wrote:
If Sony wants to play it safe, I wonder if they'd consider keeping Suikoden on the PS2 for now, and making a port for the Wii at the same time?

That would be a great idea. Everybody should be happy! PS2 games are still selling, and a number of games are released as multiplatform on Wii and PS2. Konami wouldn't need to rush the development since they already have a lot of PS2 assets and then could just port the game to Wii. If they made a HD version besides a PS2 version, they would need to redo the graphics completely, besides code and maybe even music and many other aspects of the game. It would be great for those who wanted sharper SD graphics, faster loading times and possibly motion control, while all the PS2 owners would be satisfied too. Even most PS3 owners could play the PS2 version.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd prefer that Suikoden VI come out for the PS2, personally.

I actually don't mind that S6 is being delayed either, cuz the longer it's delayed, the more likely that PS3 consoles will come down in price. I really don't want to spend $500 for a PS3....that's a ridiculous price. If S6 was released tomorrow, I would probably buy it but not play it for a long time.....until PS3s come down in price. I really can't afford to spend $500 to play a video game right now.
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I really can't afford to spend $500 to play a video a video game

True. but as for the rushing thing well their not gonna commit the same mistake twice, personaly i think the time between S4 To S5 was a big mistake.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I look back, they may have been rushing the series during games like iv and tactics. I think Konami realized that making games just to tide us over was a big mistake. Suikoden iv and tactics hurt the series (at least in terms of keeping fans and sales). I think Suikoden V's sales could have been much better if people weren't so turned off by those two games.

The reason for the recent delay to even officially announce the next title is probably because of at least some of the following reasons:

1. Not knowing which console to choose yet.

2. Dealing with new programing for the new consoles.

3. Learning from past mistakes it's better to work on one or two Suikodens for a long time before releasing them and not announcing them till they are months away from release.

I am still hopeful that we may get some news in December with Jump Festa though. :)

Probably not though. :(
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV was a great game, not rushed at all. As evidenced by the development time between it and Suikoden III. Suikoden Tactics however did seem rushed, and not worth of a proper Suikoden title, but then again, it wasn't even called Suikoden in Japan, it was "Rhapsodia".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: