Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Shad":3js4o7rc]I changed my mind after two or three days and read "Reappraisals" by Tony Judt instead, then read Norman F. Cantor's "In the Wake of the Plague" yesterday. Both books were pretty bad. Well, I enjoyed them, but neither are what you'd call a scholarly review. I'm going to try Robert D. Kaplan's "Eastward to Tartary" next.

Instead I read Rick Atkinson's "The Day of Battle", which took me over a month, then knocked out "A Field Guide to Demons" by Carol K. Mack and Dina Mack in two days, around October 20th. Didn't read anything for a while, then started "The Baltic Origins of Homer's Epic Tales" by Felice Vinci, the most fascinating book I've ever read, on or around November 10th and finished it today. Next up should be "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Shad":16rcfe0b] Next up should be "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell.

I'm surprised you hadn't already read Campbell's book.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read Dead Until Dark. I... was extremely unimpressed.

Now I am reading Son of a Witch by Maguire. So far so good.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just finished 2 book in a row in one week. First one is Imperium by Robert Harris and second is The Ghost by the same author. And, damn, they're good!. Political novels are either really good or really bad, and these two are obviously not bad. Honestly, I wanted to see the reaction on Tony Blair's face after he read 'The Ghost'.

Harris is definitely one of my favorite author right now.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked up A Clockwork Orange today at the mall because I realized that I had never actually read it! I'm also reading The Mayor of Casterbridge and Heart of Darkness for school.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've not read a book since high school about eight years ago, but a friend loaned me a book he thought I'd appreciate so I decided to give it a chance. The book is called Tik-Tok by John Sladek, and I have to admit, I'm throroughly impressed. The humour is so incredibly dark that I find myself reading on in anticipation of the next morbid, yet hilarious, antic the main character - a robot - will do next.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Tullaryx":9llg7tki][quote="Shad":9llg7tki] Next up should be "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell.

I'm surprised you hadn't already read Campbell's book.
I wasn't very impressed. The guy knows a lot but doesn't seem to know that he knows it, rendering his points, while mostly valid, very obscurely and spiritually phrased, mystical in and of themselves, an interesting sort of self-vindication but hardly practical for an avowed teacher. I followed his interview well enough, but I question whether the intended audience would be able to.

Finished that yesterday, now I'm starting "Eastward to Tartary" by Robert D. Kaplan. I really am starting it this time - about 50 pages in.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Knocked my way through the first Chronicles of Chrestomanci collection, and started on the second. I need to make this one stretch until the new Ted Dekker book comes (ugh... January) out as well as Rowling's Beedle the Bard. It's holiday season, and I'm fairly sure I'll be broke for about a month with bills and shopping and all. :(

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Shad":11ivaeos]Finished that yesterday, now I'm starting "Eastward to Tartary" by Robert D. Kaplan. I really am starting it this time - about 50 pages in.

Just finished this book. I'm not sure which I'll start next. Maybe "Ten Days That Shook the World" by John Reed.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finally finished re-reading 'The Time Traveler's Wife', and is still deeply impressed by it. But the writer tend to push the sexuality too much I think. Then I visit Suikox and think suikodenally (if there's ever such a word) , "damn! the main character in that novel really resembles Viki"

Just started reading Neil Gaiman's Coraline now.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Shad":3astxtj8]Just finished this book. I'm not sure which I'll start next. Maybe "Ten Days That Shook the World" by John Reed.

Started Ten Days That Shook the World on Tuesday and finished it Friday. Next Monday I'll be starting "Twelve Days - The Story of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution" by Victor Sebestyen.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

God Behavingly Badly by Philips or Phillips or something... and Son of a Witch by Maguire.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am currently reading Israel's Secret Wars: A History of Israel's Intelligence Services by Ian Black and Benny Morris. Been a very great read so far. Shad should give it a try.

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading Pragmatism and The Meaning of Truth by William James. He's very expressive in his description of ideas, which makes them really easy to digest. Probably one of the best books I've gotten into in a while. Good times.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Shad":1038dshz]Started Ten Days That Shook the World on Tuesday and finished it Friday. Next Monday I'll be starting "Twelve Days - The Story of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution" by Victor Sebestyen.

Finished that Friday and started "A History of Slovakia" by Stanislav J. Kirschbaum yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: