Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What you learned from playing RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bosses always have higher HP than you do, but are designed to be patterned weaklings. You always have lower HP (and size, usually) than the bosses, but your strength matches Hercules against such a boss... if you're leveled up enough.

Speaking of levels, how do characters *know* that they get stronger? To them, what's the difference between a Slime and a Final Boss besides from greatly different stats that the Programming Gods come up with? If I was a character and I leveled up once, I wouldn't know the difference. I'd have to gain twenty levels just to see something, and how the hell do I know I gained twenty levels?

When you choose to run away from fights, it seems like you're always running nowhere for a few moments. I wanted to run away, not get some standstill exercise, dammit! Some RPGs have this problem.

There's always some hidden item(s) that are stronger than the ones offered in the main game. You go through lots and lots of trouble to get them, only to find out you're so leveled up that you don't need this item anyway. Why go through all that? Either to help someone else who's lost, for for bragging rights.

Isn't it scary how optional bosses hiding in obscure dungeons are always stronger than the final boss that's threatening to destroy the world? Must be something they eat.

As Halberdier said, currency seems to be the same everywhere in the same gaming series. I can understand Suikoden, since all of them are set on the same world. But how, in Star Ocean III, does an undeveloped planet like Vanguard III use Fol like all the advanced planets, even though contact is strictly forbidden? Again, exchange rates only exist for gambling places, and there may be prizes available in the gambling currency if you win/exchange enough. This is true for Legend of Legaia.

No matter how frontal or vague it is, there's always a love interest. And if there isn't, fans always make up odd pairings because they think it's cool.

If you're playing as a bad guy, there's always someone badder than you. Rarely do you ever get the chance to knock the good guys down a peg or two, and even if you do, you never kill them. This' been happening in recent games more than the older games.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
peeps

Zangetsu

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok... here's more I learned to be patient when I'm playing games especially RPG games
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned that I can waste 50 hours playing an RPG that I could otherwise be using to do something more productive, like Tae Bo or glass blowing.

I learned that shops withhold the good merchandise until later in the game, forcing you to buy up their crappy stock of weapons and armor first. Too bad the merchants didn't try to low-ball each other to get your service or offer coupons: "Buy 2 materia get the 3rd free!" That would be nice.

I learned that you always have to leg it before you are smart enough to obtain some kind of transportation. Really, setting out to save the world... on foot. Come on, now, my spiky-haired hero.

I learned that the hero of any RPG is living out the American Dream by starting out as a poor son-of-a-farmer destined to be some legendary warrior. It's Horatio Alger sticking his pointy nose in all over again. Just once I'd like to see an RPG where the hero and his friends set out and get thoroughly crushed, disappointing everyone and bringing on impending doom.

I learned that the villain needs some legendary artifact in order to bring about his/her grand schemes, which makes me wonder why no one keeps a safe in RPGs so these artifacts aren't lost so easily.

No matter how many times I kill a monster, they just keep spawning. Really, we need to spay and neuter some of the random monsters that are lurking about because there is definitely an over-population if so many are to be found. Oh, and despite using a sword to slaughter these monsters, my weapon never needs to be repaired. That's pretty handy, like the ginsu knife that can cut through a shoe.

...Anyway, that's it for now.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dark Horizon Angel wrote:
Is the Lunar you refer to "Lunar Legend"?

I think he still does the things he does in The Silver Star, Silver Star Story Ccomplete, and Lunar Legend.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrMan

Secret Agent Men

180000 Potch
0 Soldiers
341000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got a few

- never trust any of your allies, they might take a knife to your back when you least suspect it
- if a boss is overly dramatic and huge, chances are that it is ludicrously easy
- dont squander your items, youll be able to mix them later
- no matter what, you can always go into someones house and take something without them caring
- people on the streets have items they would give to you if you would just talk to them
- if youre walking on a plain, theres a good chance that youll be teleported back into the same spot where you fought the last monster
- people can breath underwater with no problem (FFX)
- if you find an abondend monster, take care of it and it will overcome its urge to eat you and instead help you
- pick up ANYTHING you find on the ground

theres more, but I cant think of em right now
MariGreywords

The White Wind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lesson One: The more high-pitched and girlish a male enemy's voice is, the more Potch/Fol/Gella/GP you're going to get for pounding him into the pavement. Bonuses if they carry around a flower, wear lipstick, and have extraordinairily shiny hair.

Lesson Two: Tired of walking around? Tired of paying good money to use trains, or horses? Have no fear, the airship is here! Just find the deepest, darkest cave near a lake or an ocean, and head to the bottom. It'll be there, every time. Exception: Occaisionally, it will be near a famous sky-pirate's grave.

Lesson Three: Early on in the game, if you find what you assume to be True Love, one of two things will happen. 1: She/he will die in five minutes. 2: She/he will betray the party, and stomp on your feelings. But don't worry, you'll fall in love with a nice girl in about five hours, and everything will be hunky dory.

"Let's be positive!" ~Amano Maya

"Ok, so I bleed orange-flavored Jell-O. Big deal!" ~AdonisVaMPHuNT
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most important items are unnoticable to the naked eye and you have to constantly search every corner of a room to find something of little value floating around.

If you come-across a Dark and dangerous cave with a Keep-out sign..... Then you should go right on in there because there's always good treasure at the very far end of the cave..... After you beat the usual optional boss that's guarding it.

And finally, all viscious creatures carry money and items on them. :mrgreen:
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1.) Violence does solve most of your problems (Looks back at EVERY RPG I've ever played).

2.) Meeting the physical emobdiment of greed is never fun. He says things such as "Listen, are you gonna have a metaphorical battle against your own inner greed, or do I have to eat you?"... Which is an unusual choice. He's easy to fool though. Just make crap up and tell him it would be greedy of you to waste his time having him eat you.

3.) You can catch three-story snakes made of rock and steel using a little plastic balls. You can also catch the three dieties that created the land, sea, and sky with the little plastic balls, too.

4.) Five-feet tall spikey hair styles require too much time and gel.

5.) All supremely evil people are feminine and have grey hair. Thus, I believe my grandma is a supreme evil being.

(The rest applies solely to Ever Quest)
6.) Spell casting requires two things: A tank, and a good tank.

7.) Never knock on death's door. Ring the door bell and run, he hates that.

8.) Never trust your tank if s/he says "OWNED! PWNAGE SAUSAGE!!!" after every kill. Get out of the group as fast as you can and run. Run like you have never ran before. If you hear "Oh GOD!!! It's the Shadow Hunter!!!!" Run faster. If you get knocked down, don't get up. Just lay there and prey he doesn't realize your still alive.

9.) See everything above? Yeah, repeat that like ten times.

10.) Never go to the Plane of Fear alone. You want a reason? Try the 20 story faceless freak named Cazic-Thule. He's more then enough reason. Also, don't go to the second layer of the Plane of Nightmares alone. Why? His 17 story faceless freak of a daughter, that's why. Lady still gives me nightmares...

11.) If you happen to be a tank, keep quiet and do your job. No one wants to hear your complaining about how the monsters hit hard. Think, igit. You're a living shield, not a hard concept. Hard job, yes, but not a hard concept.

12.) If you're a healer, HEAL!! Don't just sit in one spot for ten battles and on the verge of your group's death say "Oh, am I the main healer?" Cripes...

13.) If you're a Necro, trust me, don't group. You're better off working alone with your undead pet. You don't need a group, you are a group. You're better then they are. Don't take their crap about how you never do anything. Bottom line, your pet is another damage dealer and backup tank. Your damage over time spells do a ton of damage. Your endless supply of mana makes you a GOD!!! If things look bad for the group, feign your death and watch'm all die. They all probably deserved it, anyway. If you're high enough in level, bring their lifeless corpses back to life and use them as your undead minions...!

14.) If you're a Ranger, don't tank. Know why Rangers don't have feign death like Necromancers do? Because the fall would probably kill them.

15.) Monks. Only pull is you have to. That's a bard or berserker's lot in life. You should hang behind the tank and deal damage.

16.) Rogues. Besides getting the raid going by picking the lock, you have no other purpose. Stay behind the ranger, he'll protect you.

17.) Berserkers. Stop trying to take the only things Warriors have going for them...

18.) Shadowknights... Good job. Awesome tanking skills.

19.) Paladins... Good for nothing, do-gooders... Decent tanks, though.

20.) Warriors... Poor guys... But you know, that feign death skill really comes in handy. Oh? Oh... You weren't feigning... Sorry... Hang in there, pal. Life gets better once you get 200 Alternate Advance skills and are level 70 with access to the Plane of Time. Things get good for you then... Tanking gets a ton easier at these levels...

21.) Nukers... Idiots. For such intelligent people, why do they think that their next to death spells won't get the monster's attention? Seriously, I've seen tanks turn around and start attacking their nuker... Take it a bit easier, no need to rush that much.

Yeah, that's about all I've learned.
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suikodemon

Warriors of purgatory

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

all my english is tanx to rpgs, im from a spanish-speaking country

thats why my english isnt good :mrgreen:
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah me too:p
I already knew English when I was 8 years due to al the RPG's I played
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suikodemon wrote:
all my english is thanks to rpgs, im from a spanish-speaking country

thats why my english isnt good :mrgreen:

RIGHT ON! Though my nickname is Mucho.... I am very Hispanic and very proud!

Now before someone puts that riduclues simle on me....

What I learned from playing RPGS are....
1. Prepare for enternal lonlyness
2. Prepare for your parents to question what kind of friends you have
3. Any game with a Goffer is "Da bomb"
4. I have way the hell to much free time
5. Healing is for pantsies

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Party members always seem to withold money or items from you. "Yeah, thanks for paying for the cost of the inn, so why didn't I lose any money for paying for the inn? And why didn't you pay for the inn fee when I slept at this same in five minutes ago? Wait, I just slept here five minutes ago, so why do I have to rest again?

2. Party members always seem to lay in bed once the inn fee is payed for. "Hey look, it's only 3:00 in the afternoon. Instead of exploring, why don't we just rest in this fine inn until morning?"

3. RPG characters never have to use the restroom ... which kinda makes sense ... because they never eat either.

4. RPG characters can't jump. "Ah! The wall is up to my knees but I can't get over it!"

5. NPCs are more pesky than bosses. "Hey, I just killed a supreme boss and got some good armor, but since you're an NPC, I think I'll go around the world collecting the things you want instead of taking the treasure from you."

6. No matter how you treat the members of the opposite gender in your party in an RPG, the main character always ends up with the same person.

7. Things are always rushed:

"Now now playable characters, remeber that you cannot breed a monster immediately. You need to wait at least 30 minutes before you can mate two newborns, but at least they pop out a baby instantaneously."

-or-

"Now, I don't have the item you want right now, but if you come back in intervals of tenminutes, I might have it. I get a new shipment every ten minutes!"
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I learned to work hard so I can save the world.
2. I also learned that I can survive with only a liquid-diet (a.k.a. potions as you people prefer to call them) and going for days without a full-size meal.
3. I learned that burying corpses are so old school, because we can just wait for the body to dissapear into thin air.
4. Getting hacked and stabbed in the vital parts of your body mean nothing, just sleep in your nearest inn and everything will be all okay.
5. It may seem weird for some people if they see me run around in circles, but now I have a reason that counts: All I need to say is that I'm waiting for an enemy monster to pop-out from thin air so I can kill it and get some gold after looting it's corpse. I have to loot it quickly though, because the corpse dissapears into thin air almost intantly. (See # 3 XD)

RPGs are really educational. :D

Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

pretty much i learn to use my head a lot more in games, well since with rpgs you have to use your head most the time to figure out what your going to do next. like what place to go to, how to get certain people if their available and even battling

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Remember - ALWAYS trust the villagers! Barge into their houses, they shall give you items!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: