Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Help me decide on a laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Help me decide on a laptop Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sorry if this is this the wrong forum. I just saw" for whatever purposes" in the forum description and decided to post here.

*copies and pastes*

I am currently in the market to purchase a laptop and I am interested in purchasing either of these two laptops: Dell XPS M140 and Dell Inspiron E1705. I should note that I'm getting the laptop mainly to run digial softwares like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, OpenCanvas, etc. Here are some major differences:

Inspiron E1705:
Screen size: 17"
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Price: $1,183

Pros: Nice screen size and from what I've read, duo processor sounds amazingly powerful. Dell.com is also currently having a sale which gives $400 off for spending $1400+ on the laptop.

Cons: It doesn't have a S-video unless I get the media center addition with the tv tuner which is an extra $130.

XPS M140:
Screen size: 14.1"
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
price: $1148

Pros: Has a built in S-video, which all laptops should have. It looks slick, small, and powerful enough to run softwares I need to use.

Con: The price is almost about the same as Inspiron E1705 while E1705 uses the new dual processor.

I'm really split on making the decision because while I love the portability and the functions that XPS offers, E1705 seems to offer more in terms of power. I also am very confused about the Media Center Edition and the differences between XP professional. I also don't know how much difference the duo processor makes compared to the Pentium M processor. Also, since the pricing is almost similar, it makes it even harder to decide. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Shadow

The Arabian Nomades

649 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you should buy the Inspiron E1705:
Screen size: 17"
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Price: $1,183

because it's scree is biger and it only cost about 40 more dollers than the :D h
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea.. I'm leaning slighty more towards E1705.. I'm just trying to see if anyone else thinks otherwise. Thanks for the reply :D
Shadow

The Arabian Nomades

649 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your welcome :D
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got an inspirion I9300 that's the Media Center edition with a 17" screen, and I love it to pieces.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my parents offered to by me a laptop last year. my mum still insists on it, but the truth is it wont do what i want it to do... in a way that i want it to.

portability is nice feature, but not if it dies after so and so using it. the keys are living hell if my dad's is anything to go by - i'm so used to daily typing on a normal keyboard than the tiny, weird, flat keys of a lap top.

screens, bit small. capabilities... i dunno, i still think they're somewhat limited. navigation - hell with touch ones, rollerballs, but mouses are okay, so long as they're not minature ones.

there's too many hurdles i wish to not bother with.

if i were a novalist, then sure, having a laptop would be awesome, i'd get over that fidgety keyboard thing.

but i can't justify a laptop. i want to play some online games, and be heavy on the media, use excel frequently and accounting and financial forecasting programs - and well, i wanna hook it up to my room, run it through my tv and stereo - it can be done, so i want to do it... but probably not a lap top.

i'd like to get a new computer, which now makes me: :off topic: so i'll leave it at that
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are you looking for hugeness of screen, or portability? A 17" laptop is going to be a pain to carry around if you're looking to bring to and from school or work every day on the bus.
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Are you looking for hugeness of screen, or portability? A 17" laptop is going to be a pain to carry around if you're looking to bring to and from school or work every day on the bus.

I'll mostly be using it from home. The reason I decided to buy a laptop was because my current desktop, while it can process majority of the things I need on the norm like MS word, graphic tasks tends to lag. If I'm going to make this thing faster in terms of processing power/speed, I'll need to get a new cpu, probably a 7200 rpm hd, and mostlikely a new motherboard since my current mobo is pretty outdated. It'll still cost me about $400 - $600. Might as well by a laptop while I'm at it since I'm going to need it sooner or later.

I will be carrying it around, but not all the time. Portability is plus of course but if I'm to choose between portability and large screen, I wouldn't know for sure, which is why I need you guys' opinion.

I guess in a simple question it would be: Will Pentium M satisfy the power I need in a laptop?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're going to continue using "the norm", then the Pentium M will do fine.

However, you seem to want more power, and a bigger screen. If that's the case, then the 17" with Core Duo is the better option for you.

However, be sure that you check the extras included. I've noticed that you did not post complete system specifications. What hard drive size and speed? How much RAM? What kind of burner does each one have? Do you need a bag? How about extra batteries? What's the battery life like? Does it come with a mouse or a USB key?

Also, be sure that you double-check the sizes. What's the footprint? How heavy? How thick?

It might be the case that the Inspiron E1705 has fewer features than the XPS M140 in terms of extras; it may also be the case that the Inspiron E1705 weighs a ton.

What you need to do before buying is to decide what you need in a laptop, instead of asking people you don't know on a strange Internet forum. Based on what you've said, you're looking for a desktop replacement kind of system that has some portable features; if that's the case, then power and comfort (i.e. screen size, keyboard size) are probably more relevant than portability (i.e. size and weight) and battery life.

Oh, and Dell is notorious for making crappy products. Their service is excellent, but apparently the laptops they ship out are kind of crappy, at least according to the experiences of many colleagues of mine who've done ordering and service at the University I used to be at. They'll go out of their way to help you replace your laptop if it breaks down, but the problem is, it might break down. If you do go for a Dell computer (or any other computer, for that matter), I recommend making regular backups.

But you all make regular backups anyway, right? :)
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:

However, be sure that you check the extras included. I've noticed that you did not post complete system specifications. What hard drive size and speed? How much RAM? What kind of burner does each one have? Do you need a bag? How about extra batteries? What's the battery life like? Does it come with a mouse or a USB key?

I didn't bother listing the ram, harddrive size/speed, cd/dvd rom drive, and battery because the M140 and E1705 in these aspects are almost identical. I just listed the parts that are majorily different which I need more information on.

Quote:

What you need to do before buying is to decide what you need in a laptop, instead of asking people you don't know on a strange Internet forum. Based on what you've said, you're looking for a desktop replacement kind of system that has some portable features; if that's the case, then power and comfort (i.e. screen size, keyboard size) are probably more relevant than portability (i.e. size and weight) and battery life.

Like I said before, I need a laptop which can run digital graphic programs so there, I've completed your step one. I've looked around, asked around and out of all the laptops I've heard about, I came up with the conclusion that M140 and the E1705 had made my top 2. Again, I need a laptop that is capable of running graphic programs meaning that even if Pentium M processor is not as powerful as the Duo Core processor, if people think that it's suffice for my needs than I'd make a note of that and think more on it before purchasing it. However, if I were to really benefit from the the duo core processor and the screen size, I'd be sold for the E1705. This is my FIRST laptop purchase so I'm just being careful in making the right decision. I've read reviews, asked my tech-savy friends, read around other forums so now, I'm asking the people I don't know on the strange internet forum. Again, I'm just being careful.

Quote:

Oh, and Dell is notorious for making crappy products. Their service is excellent, but apparently the laptops they ship out are kind of crappy, at least according to the experiences of many colleagues of mine who've done ordering and service at the University I used to be at. They'll go out of their way to help you replace your laptop if it breaks down, but the problem is, it might break down. If you do go for a Dell computer (or any other computer, for that matter), I recommend making regular backups.

I've actually heard otherwise.. I bought a Dell desktop for my dad last year and had no problems with it so far. My friend just bought a 600m laptop and he loves it to death and recommended that I buy a laptop from Dell. I guess it differs from time to time.
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to double post but I just wanted to thank everyone here for giving me feedbacks and whatnot. Arcana, I basically reviewed the system and went with the E1705. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally would advice you checking the website of Alienware.

Their computers and laptops are total ownage if you fully upgrade :D

(They aint cheap though :? )

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, cool stuff, Hoonn. Hope it all works out for you.

I've heard that Alienware stuff really isn't that great - for the price you pay, you're not getting an awesome price-performance ratio, and their customer service apparently isn't that awesome either. Seems like it would be a better idea rolling your own PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: