Suikoden Unique and Irrational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

American encroachment on Canadian laws? Or seeking a legit criminal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For one thing, it is a crock to go and commit a bunch of crimes in one country, only to go, back to your own to be tried. The difference being there would be no justice by trying him here since our judges wouldnt give him his rightful jail term. They would literally slap him on the wrist, letting him back on his way to traffic even more drugs across the border. What kind of presidence would that set, by keeping someone here, giving him no jail time at all though he should get some? The on top of that with no jail time, he just keeps commiting the crime over, and over again in the country he was before? It sound to me, that every Canadian that feels like murdering someone, will just head south, kill a bunch of people just to head back north. Only to avoid their rightful death penalty, because they are here in their home country where at most they would get a life sentence. Frankly, I say if they commit crimes there in the states, they should be tried by Americans, with a jury of Americans, with punishments Americans would get.

No I am not comparing, drug trafficking with murder, but rather the fact that the judges here treat murderers the same as drug dealers. If the judges cant enfore what type of punishment the person can get, they wont hand them over. Which is absolutely rediculous considering that those people commited the crimes in the other country. What right do our judges have, to demand only a certain type of maximum penalty for crimes not commited in their country? Can anyone actually condone those actions, of not giving people the punishments they deserve, merely for the location they are currently in?

Why is it that people on this forum insist on talking about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic? Making marijuana, legal or keeping it illegal has absolutely nothing to do with the situation. The fact of the matter is, marijuana is illegal right now in both Canada, and the United States. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about that fact. Trafficking drugs across the border through the internet from Canada into the US is a crime in the US. There are no questions about that fact. Why shouldnt he be tried, and punished in the United States considering he commited the crime there?

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've read this and read through all of your guys comments/ opinions. it just seems like this topic is going no were. everyone is saying the same thing....kinda

Marijuana is illegal in America (medical too).
Drug Trafficing is illegal in America and in Canada (right?).
Marijuana isn't murder.
In Holland they're doing pretty good with Marijuana legal.
A couple of people say that he should be extradited to America some say not.

First off to answer the question. I believe that America has no right to go into Canada and take one of their citzens. Also i believe it is not right for Canada to turn a blind eye to his operation. If Canada isn't going to deal with the situation i believe it's best if they handed over Mark Ermey to America.
Or America should atleast put political pressure on Canada to arrest him. Becasue the crime is being commited in both countries i believe that he should first be tried in Canada then America (if he gets the far).

Now Marijuana isn't murder i understand and i don't really believe it to be a gate way drug from my personal experiences. i think that it isn't a good thing to abuse, but it isn't worth 25 to life for being convicted of first time drug offense so small as to have a gram on your person.
I think that America is high balling the punishment and Canada is low balling it. So the real question is do you want this man going to jail for a few years or stay in prision. this shouldn't be a black or white issue but it saddly is.

to answer my own question. when it all comes down to it, i think that he should be extradited to America for reasons stated above.

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I am not going to make much mention to your post besides one particular fact I want to make mention of. Are people essentially saying the same things over, and over? Yes but they are also adding various aspects of their personal opinion on said things along with each post. Thus responding to what the other person said, by backing up their opinion even more. Thats all that is gong on, it's called discussing the thread thats going on, and nothing more. I mean you are discussing it yourself now arent you?

However, I am glad that I am not the only person who thinks he should be extradited on this forum. I mean he is commiting a crime in the States, regardless of where he is from. Thats just my opinion on the matter anyway.

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i meant it was going no were in the fact that some people are going off topic. but i did say kinda didn't i yeah yeah yeah!! i think it's funny when people are super liberal. rehab isn't going to teach a criminal that's all i have to say. Sure rehab can be a good option after some prision time to actual make them more open to the idea of quitting and actually taking rehab seriously. The only way to send a message is to make the punishment harsh (but 25 to life is absurd)

see there i go going off topic back to topic

he should be sent to the United States

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everybody seemed to think that I was trying to say that Marijuana should be legal, I'm not, I was just trying to show you the severity of the case, and I will disregard some specific things said and finally voice my opinion.

Should he be send to America?

No.

Why?

Because the severity of the crime does not guarantee that, if it was murder, terrorism or something great yes if something of a lesser degree like that is going on then no.

The reason?

Because next time if a Canadian husband beats his American wife and then crosses the border he will be taken back to the all mighty and legally (from my point of view) messed up U.S.A.

Sending him off now shows weakness and bowing over, what stops US from doing it again for whatever trivial thing they want to?

Nothing.

Another reason is again the severity and if I'm not mistaken that the crime happened both in the US and Canada sort to speak (import/export).

If the Canadian legal system is too lax then fix it, is that simple, you can't or you don't want to?

Then let things go on than letting other countries to your bidding.

The above is a PO of mine.

Should Marijuana be made illegal in the US?

Heck no, every kid in the country would be high in no time depending on the price as someone said, but then again people spend their money in a lot of stupid things so I'm doubting how much price would affect it.

My stance on drugs has to do with a lot of things but I won't go off topic here.

That's it folks that was another episode of hearing Arenegeth's political and social rumble.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Because the severity of the crime does not guarantee that, if it was murder, terrorism or something great yes if something of a lesser degree like that is going on then no.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong here, but again I'll point out that illegal international drug trafficking is a huge offense that should not be taking lightly. You might not think that it is severe, but there are huge consequences that have to be considered if this crime is not duly punished. Thus, as someone mentioned before, the country that has more severe fines should be allowed to prosecute, technically. A slap on the wrist is not really a 'just' punishment for a crime that could potentially have severe consequences in international trafficking of goods.

I just ask would you like having illegal goods exported to your coutry, potentially filling your streets with potentially hazardous goods, and then allow the person whom is partaking in such action to go back to his coutry, while your country suffers from the effects of his actions, and get a much lesser penalty than he would in your country?

Yes, one can argue, but it's just weed! But, I just want to point out that it can start as something as seemingly trivial and quickly escalate if not duly punished.

Quote:

Sending him off now shows weakness and bowing over, what stops US from doing it again for whatever trivial thing they want to?

Nothing.

Another reason is again the severity and if I'm not mistaken that the crime happened both in the US and Canada sort to speak (import/export).

If the Canadian legal system is too lax then fix it, is that simple, you can't or you don't want to?

Then let things go on than letting other countries to your bidding.

I do agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but again this is an international issue dealing with the illegal trafficking of narcotics. There are proper procedures that must be taken. Canadian law is just not as strict on this sort of thing. This is the main reason for international border laws dealing with commerce. It's there for a reason. It is set up to allow two countries the ability to negotiate over the proper prosecution of and offender. Clearly, it is a serious issue or there would be no debate over who can properly prosecute. The U.S. has more potent laws in this realm, so technically, they should prosecute. This is not something Canada has to be ashamed of.

Also, you mention they can just fix it. Well, this is easier said than done. Laws take precedents to establish. Canada does not have overall experience in international commerce as the American legal system thus it has not needed to pass harsh laws in that realm. This is an issue of expertise in a certain field. Would you want a brain surgeon performing open heart surgery? Of course not. America is more suited to deal with such a case right now, so why not let them handle it. Canada can use this as an experience. They can look at how America handles this issue, see if it positively effects international commerce, and then assess whether or not changes need to be made to their law system in that realm.

I think one can get into an issue of national pride here where pride in one's nation is not the issue. The issue is the proper prosecution of the offense. I don't think by allowing America to prosecute this offender that it will have an averse effect on how effectively Canada prosecutes their international offenders in the future. Just think about it.

What if an American came to Canada and did these sort of offenses and American law was not as effective in prosecuting the offender. Would you want America handling the case, giving the man a much lesser penalty, where this person had defiled your country? I just argue that no matter how the severe the crime can be seen, the nation whose laws more effectively punish the crime should be allowed to prosecute. This will help to prevent such actions from occuring again.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
Quote:

I just read the artical, and of the two conspeacies and thew money laundering... That seems... Well stupid. Who exactly was he selling the seeds to? There are several hundres of thousands of americans who use marajuana for medicinal purposes.

Which is still illegal. Though I'm not sure if it went through in Oregon, though I think Ashcroft said he'd be prosecuting for it.

It's completely up the Canadian authorities if they want to hand him over, and I commend them for doing so. I think it was the right thing to do, and it makes sense considering the good relations between the two countries.

The article suggests that the United States authorities went in and grabbed him themselves, not that the Canadians grabbed him and handed him over. I have a problem with the first case, but not the second.

Everyone, please remember that it does not say that Emery CROSSED THE BORDER to sell weed. He was selling weed online.

Also, I feel that the discussion of marijuana being legal is not entirely relevant, BUT in Canada there is a big controversy about decriminalizing marijuana. As a result, a lot of people ae defying the government and smoking weed in public. We can go off and round up all of these people but that would be an incredible strain on the system that's being taken away from looking after wife-abusers and armed robbers. In fact the Marijuana party is one of those forces trying to fight for the decriminalization of marijuana - which is probably why he defies the law to sell it.

Last edited by Arcana on Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, they should have let the Canadian government decide to hand him over. That was a bad move by the U.S.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He was selling weed online, but he was selling said weed online, knowing full well it was going into the United States, not Canada. He was blatantly thumbing his nose at US laws, because that is his personal political agenda when it comes to drugs. He knows that here, he will get no jail time for his crimes, because the judges are far too liberal to give any non violent crime much jail time, if at all. I still dont get why people are even making the issue of marijuana being legal or not an issue here. Folks, you need to understand one thing, that isnt the issue at all, in both countries weed is illegal no matter how you look at it. In fact, selling it in cases besides medical marijuana which is only legal here in Canada if he has a permit, is illegal. The fact of the matter is, the US got themselves a warrant for his arrest, Canada wasnt going after him. The US arrested him, so now the issue is whether they should send him there. He commited a crime in the US so he should face punishment in the US. Should Canada have arrested him? Of course they should have but they didnt, the US did. Frankly if I were them, I would take him anyway if our liberal judges dont extradite him there.

As such with his party fighting for it's decriminalization in Canada might give him leeway for selling in Canada in defiance. That does not I repeat, DOES NOT give him the leeway to sell said weed into the US. It doesnt matter where he was selling the weed from, he was selling the marijuana seeds into the United States. Thus making it, him commiting a crime in the United States, thus there shouldnt be an issue of whether or not he should be extradited.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you on pretty much on every count, Filipe, though depending on what state he's tried in I wouldn't have much faith in him avoiding "liberal judges". Hell, in my state (wacky liberal area) one judge told a young girl who was raped to "get over it", then gave the offender a slap on the wrist. Something is very very wrong with these people who think that we need to "listen" to criminals rather than lock them up...but that's a whole other topic altogether.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have considered making a topic about that Lunarblade, since it would be interesting to see what people's responses to these crap judges. I mean come on, Lunarblade made a picture perfect example of the kind of case that should have the judge sent to prison for. I mean, if it's a drug charge or something, a minor drug charge mind you, like possession I can understand giving them a chance the first couple of times. But in a case of rape, after the person gets convicted of it, you dont just slap them on the wrist, and send them on their way. That is a violent crime if I have ever heard of one, so not putting the person in jail is beyond disgusting. Much less having the absolute gall to tell the victim of the crime to just "get over it". Frankly the judge should be put in jail right next to the rapist he released.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I have considered making a topic about that Lunarblade, since it would be interesting to see what people's responses to these crap judges.

You and Lunarblade stand for certain political belief, that doesn't make you subjective in political matters, but as long as you keep you cool and present your arguments from your perspective I'm fine.

But that is for another topic moving on...

Black and white, black AND white, left and right A and B, get it or I will have to spell it out, I will anyway, nothing is black and white for me as in this case and wait a minute here.

Quote:

Lunarblade made a picture perfect example of the kind of case that should have the judge sent to prison for. I mean, if it's a drug charge or something, a minor drug charge mind you, like possession I can understand giving them a chance the first couple of times. But in a case of rape, after the person gets convicted of it, you dont just slap them on the wrist, and send them on their way. That is a violent crime if I have ever heard of one, so not putting the person in jail is beyond disgusting. Much less having the absolute gall to tell the victim of the crime to just "get over it". Frankly the judge should be put in jail right next to the rapist he released.

More details about the case please, nothing is as it seems perhaps that girl was provocative or something we don't know about it I mean you just say she was raped I mean what?

What about the particular case what did the guilty (supposedly) man had in his defense (he must have had something, liberal is one thing but not punishing at all is another).

So please don't put a court case in comparison without the particular info to back it up since I could say the opposite.

Some guy looked at a girl wrong and he is now doing 25 to life, you know what the judge said to him?

He told him to get over it, so there.
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth, the thing with that case is, from my understanding the male in question had already been found guilty, and was given a slap on the wrist. He is not supposedly guilty, he was found guilty if it went to the judge to decide a sentence. Otherwise there would be no issue on this, because no judgement was made on whether the man commited the crime, or not. If Lunarblade made light of a case, where the judge just made the decision whether the man was guilty, or not rather than him being tried, and convicted than it has no place here. I am talking about Liberal judges who even after the person is convicted, dont give any sentence at all to the criminal. Thinking that, rehab for these criminals is better than giving them a punishment. Also, so I wont go into it now, but dont even start with the carp(intentionally misspelled) argument about how she provoked him into it, with her actions, or how she was dressed. The moment someone says no to sex, and are forced into it anyway it becomes rape people.

I dont even know where you got this other case about a guy looking at a girl wrong, and getting a sentence of 25 to life. I am sure people would have made a huge deal about that somewhere already, so essentially you are trying to make an example. However, idiocy of judges works both ways, however it's worse on the liberal side considering that at least on the right, when someone is convicted they get jail time.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is just that I can't believe it, of course there are guilty and guilty, I mean perhaps he was sentenced to 20 years but for Lunarblade that was a slap in the wrists and a death penalty more just (though I really think that the punishment of rape should be great my self).

It is also a matter of the case, perhaps it was a date rape or something similar, some times women remember to change their mind mid session if you know what I mean and the guy couldn't stop or something.

And no, rape is not black and white and no dressing though that is not provocative in my mind but there is no argument here since no case is officially present.

Now you have to understand the possibilities, liberal judges is one thing, but letting a man go with just some community time or whatever after a proven beyond a doubt clean cut rape seems a little exaggeration and extreme to me, and yes I was just making an example but what I said has practically the same weight as to what Lunarblade said, I need more info to take this particular case in mind though a bid off topic again but what the hell is not like were on a Gullah or whatever they are called.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: