Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lost (Spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Lost (Spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Since we've started to talk about Lost in the Star Wars thread, I figure, we'd better move it to it's own thread.

http://www.lost-tv.com/

Here's a site about the series.

Now, I find the show's writing to be, well, subpar.

First off, there's a Trans-oceanic plane. It somehow splits in two and crashes on a remote, unknown tropical island. And 48 people sofar survive the crash. (Give or take Namleass characters who were killed here and there.) Now, the primary thing abot these characters, aside from them not knowing much about each other. The all also harbour deep troubling mysteries and pasts(tm) that are gradually shown over the course of the series. The main problem. EVERY damn character's a cypher and so the series has to go to great length to give viewers enough substance to not say; "Well, gee, that character's so 2 dimensional I could probably trace them."

Now, I'd imagine some people would be concerned for the lost plane, since well, it never reached it's destination. The logical thing about that problem is that there would be search parties in some capasity, looking ariound the last known Co-ordinates of the plane. Which, but all right would put it damn near this "unknown island." But, that's reallife logic, not TV series logic.

Plotholes to date: A polar Bear has survived either a plane crash or a life on a Tropical island. This bear is fully mature and falls to ONE 9mm parabellum bullet.

Someone else was trapped on the island, sixteen years before the current crew. And they left a radip signal on continous playback for those years. However, batteries, and moters stop working over time. Are these writers to assume people will just buy that the system, without any maitnence will still work for that long a time in a tropical setting?

This uninhabited island is no nolonger uninhabited, since two castaways were kidnapped by some unknown force.

Guess what? THERE'S ANOTHER POLAR BEAR ON THE ISLAND!!!

The french chick has manged to survive sixteen years alone on an uncharted island, without going insane. Yeah.

Then there's the "dreaded" Others. Whom, from what I'm reading, if I'm reading it right... are Pirates... Ok...

Now, this is all my opinion, I'd like to hear from people who would like to debate this show with me, or simpley want to try and help me understand these Poler bear plot holes.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Siertes

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Plotholes to date: A polar Bear has survived either a plane crash or a life on a Tropical island. This bear is fully mature and falls to ONE 9mm parabellum bullet.

Perhaps the bullet hit it in the head. I don't know...

Quote:
Someone else was trapped on the island, sixteen years before the current crew. And they left a radip signal on continous playback for those years. However, batteries, and moters stop working over time. Are these writers to assume people will just buy that the system, without any maitnence will still work for that long a time in a tropical setting?

All the power for the radio comes from a power line laid in the ocean.

Quote:
Then there's the "dreaded" Others. Whom, from what I'm reading, if I'm reading it right... are Pirates... Ok...

From what I've seen, I don't think they're pirates. Perhaps just men who have gone crazy from being trapped there, or maybe they aren't even men...
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a big fan of the show and i didn't miss any of the episodes when they aired this fall and spring on fox wednesday nights. I really enjoy the main characters and i can't wait for the next season.

I find the show to be believable for the most part, and i think the polar bears will be explained later on in the series. Maybe a ship carrying exotic animals crashed on the island and the polar bears were able to adapt to the climate. They could have swam from the sinking boat onto the island and managed a life. Or another theory could be that they were bread on the island by people already there to act as sort of guard dogs against other visitors. And it is possible for a single bullet to kill a polar bear, even if it is unlikely.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Siertes wrote:
Quote:

All the power for the radio comes from a power line laid in the ocean.

If that's the case then the island isn't very uncharted. And wouldn't the people who normally use the power from that sea line notice that there's something syphoning, even a small amount, energy?

But, that also brings up another question. The lines in the ocean are sunk at a depth that they wouldn't impeed oceanic traffic. Which is a couple of hundred meters down. How could a person survive the pressure of going that far, that far out, when there are sea going predators and the lack of O2?

Siertes

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You bring up a good point. This'll take some intense thinking to figure out.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Other unexplained events include some giant monster in the jungle, the mysterious "hatch" that locke found, the "numbers" that are cursed, and the abduction of children.

At the end of the season the hatch was finally opened and was found to have stairs leading downward-to what is the question. Does it lead into a spacecraft? an underground city? another world? the cursed "numbers" were on the hatch too, what do they have to do with everything?

How these all tie together are perplexing to say the least. I look forward to finding out.

There are many theories being thrown out there as to what is going on. Some say aliens, some say it's an island of mad genetic scientist. I've also heard an interesting one that suggests the survivors of the crash aren't survivors at all but are all dead and in hell.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When Lost first came out, i wasn't interested at all. I thought that i would ignore all of this, even until the end. But thigns like this tend to take a 180 on me. After i watched it in the middle of season, i kept on watching it.
It is supposedly big here in Australia.

Jhones wrote:
A polar Bear has survived either a plane crash or a life on a Tropical island. This bear is fully mature and falls to ONE 9mm parabellum bullet.

Was this the first bear? That Sawyer shot down? Didn't he shoot more than once, like 3 shots?

Barbarossa wrote:
Maybe a ship carrying exotic animals crashed on the island and the polar bears were able to adapt to the climate. They could have swam from the sinking boat onto the island and managed a life.

My thoughts exactly. i thought that some zoologists/hunters were delivering a shipment of exotic animals to Australia until CRASH! You can gues what ahppens after Crash.

Jhones wrote:
If that's the case then the island isn't very uncharted. And wouldn't the people who normally use the power from that sea line notice that there's something syphoning, even a small amount, energy?

But, that also brings up another question. The lines in the ocean are sunk at a depth that they wouldn't impeed oceanic traffic. Which is a couple of hundred meters down. How could a person survive the pressure of going that far, that far out, when there are sea going predators and the lack of O2?

How do you think that regular underwater power lines are set? But besides how the lines were made, you raise a good point on what the heck was it doing on an "uncharted" island. Hmm.....

Neclord wrote:
There are many theories being thrown out there as to what is going on. Some say aliens, some say it's an island of mad genetic scientist. I've also heard an interesting one that suggests the survivors of the crash aren't survivors at all but are all dead and in hell.

I kind of Silent Hill: Snake Eater, huh? :lol:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It came to the UK on Wednesday *YEAH* and the first two episodes were great i loved it. But anyway there has been a few theorys here they are:

All of them are dead
They could be all dead and are traped between Heaven and Hell.

Found a new Country
The plane could have flew into an area simaler to the Bermuda's Triangle meaning they dissapeared off the radar also meaning the rescuers would assume the plane is long gone down the ocean with 0 survivers and once again meaning the island would never be found.

Gone back in time
The plane could have crashed through time and crashed on that island that exsisted millions of years ago which would kind of explain the creatures.

Walt is God
He may look like a 9 year old boy on this island with his dad who he harldly knows, but he could be controlling things on the island? The poler bear appeared after he read that comic about some polar bear (i think) also when his dad said he'd look for his dog the rain stopped immediatly.

Jack is Adam and Kate is Eve
At one point Jack muses that he and the rest of the survivors had been born again. This theary suggests the island could be the new Garden of Eden and the rest of the survivors are biblical charactors from the Garden as well.

Well thats them.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those are alot of really weird theories.

Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, i got them from a newspaper there was other ones but there was no point adding them as they were stupid.

I also seen that season two is coming to USA in September is the first finished over there??
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, the 1st season is done and it'll be on DVD September 6th (or 13th? one of those two days). The season finale is a cliff-hanger, but it's also kinda annoying too. If it's just starting over in the UK, then I won't spoil anything for you.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks is the first season good oh and long does it last i love programs that last quite a while.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it went at least 12-15 episodes, I think. Maybe more. It kinda dragged on near the end of the run, but I still enjoyed the whole season. It comes out around my birthday, which is good, so maybe I won't have to buy it for myself. ;)

Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Destiny's Warrior wrote:
Walt is God
He may look like a 9 year old boy on this island with his dad who he harldly knows, but he could be controlling things on the island? The poler bear appeared after he read that comic about some polar bear (i think) also when his dad said he'd look for his dog the rain stopped immediatly.

Jack is Adam and Kate is Eve
At one point Jack muses that he and the rest of the survivors had been born again. This theary suggests the island could be the new Garden of Eden and the rest of the survivors are biblical charactors from the Garden as well.

Well thats them.

Those two theories are intriquing.

I hadn't made the connection with Walt reading the comic book with the polar bear and then polar bears being on the island.

The Garden of Eden one is interesting as well. Maybe Sawyer is the serpent, heh

However as interesting as they are I don't think they are correct, maybe partially but not a complete explanation. Those theories don't answer some of the new things revealed towards the end of the season.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, to correct myself from before, there were 24 episodes ( :shock: ) in season 1 (or 22 if you count Exodus Part 1 and Part 2 as one episode, same for the pilot). Now that I'm all caught up on all the little things I missed, as well as finally being able to watch the earlier shows I wasn't able to see, I'm PSYCHED for the season 2 premiere tonight!!!

The name of the first episode is called "Man of Science, Man of Faith" (which is a reference to Jack and Locke respectively, discussed in the season finale). I'm dying to know... *SPOILERS AHEAD!!!*

...what happened to the folks out at sea. Where did the Others take Walt, and what for? What happened to Sawyer? Did he get shot in a fatal area? How will Jin, Sawyer, and Michael survive with their boat destroyed? That's the story I'm most interested in heading into the new season, since it ended on such a dramatic down-note. Of course, I still want to know what is inside the flagging Hatchway, but I heard on the Howard Stern Show this morning on the drive to work that they won't reveal that until the 3rd episode. :roll: As long as it's cleared up, I'll be happy. *End Spoilers*

It's best not to think about the events that happened too critically so far, like the discussion in here earlier about the polar bear. We don't know enough yet. The writers said they planned this show out to take place over 5 or 6 years, so this was just the opening round. There's bound to be even more surprises and questions from here on out, and the polar bear will become small potatoes in comparison, methinks.

If you haven't watched this show yet, well, better late than never! Here's a very brief recap of the show to get you ready for Season 2:

Oceanic Flight 815 crashed on an uncharted island. The tail end broke off, as did the cockpit, and SOMEHOW the middle section of the plane did a cartwheel all the way to the beach. There were 46 survivors (maybe a few more?), and many survived with just superficial wounds.

Jack (Matthew Fox) is the hero. He plays a doctor, and as soon as he was oriented from the crash he took charge of the situation. Kate is a criminal, but we still don't know what she did in the first place. Sayid served in the Iraqi Republican Guard as a communications officer, and he currently has a love interest with Shannon, whose brother died in an accident on the island. Michael and Walt are father and son, and Michael's primary focus was to build a raft to get them off the island. Walt has some freaky powers of some kind that the show has been very careful with. He seems to... make stuff happen. Sawyer is a con man with a death wish, and he's probably my favorite character, heh. Jin and Sun are two Koreans who had marital difficulties until the season finale. Charlie is a washed up rock star who just kicked a heroin addiction, and he's been taking care of Claire, who just gave birth on the island. Hurley is a fat guy who is incredibly unlucky. And Locke is an enigma. He has knowledge of how to survive in the wild after being a paraplegic on the flight, so somehow because he's on the island he is able to walk again.

Locke discovered the Hatch... which we don't know anything about. There is some sort of security system on the island that we haven't truly seen, but the current thinking is it's some kind of monster. There are other people on the island, supposedly, called... well, Others, and they have been terrorizing the Flight 815 people off and on. At the end of the season, the Others showed up and kidnapped one of the survivors, and Jack and Locke found dynamite in an old ship they found in the middle of the jungle to blow the lid off the Hatch. That's how the season ended.

Okay, you're pretty much up to speed with the shortest description I could give, so don't forget to watch the premiere tonight! :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: