Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NASA finds 10th Planet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: NASA finds 10th Planet Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NASA astronomers just found a large celestial object larger than Pluto orbiting the Sun at about twice the distance of Pluto's orbit. The planet is yet unnamed.

Source:

www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/newplanet-072905.html

Last edited by Vextor on Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:22 am; edited 5 times in total
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they name it after Greek Mythology (their roman names, of course). Maybe they can name it Diana (Artemis) or Vulcan (Hephaestus or whatver it's spelled).
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This are exiting old news (the article mentions initial discovery in 2003 and planet confirmation in last January), Astrology is one of my favorite subjects and I intend to study about it in the future, as for the name they should name it after me, but since they probably won't I go for Morpheous, I don't know, the god of dreams fits in something far away like that, though there may be a constellation by the same name already.

Whatever they call it I hope is indeed named after Greek Mythology...
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OH so now they find a planet..I recall finding a floating thing they named after an Inuit godess. this is really going to mess up the
"my very intelligent mother just serverd us nine pizzas" thign. oh well there are other ways to rerember the planets i guess.

is this or isn't it about Sedna? I though tthat wasn't a planet persay, then again Pluto has been called thigns other than Planet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the one that they found a little while back that they named after the Inuit goddess, Sedna, was a planetoid, not a planet. I guess the difference between a "planet" and a "planetoid" is pretty ambiguous though, and the only real criteria seems to be that it has tio be larger than Pluto, and have no other object on the same orbit.
Siertes

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IMO, anything beyond Neptune doesn't matter. Anything past that should be put into an entirely different class of "heavenly bodies". Call them something like Planetary Outcasts or something to that effect.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, this is a very cool discovery. I'm not sure what it'll be called, most of the good mythological names have been taken by the other planets and moons...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yes, quite exciting discovery. I wonder what all the astrologers will do!
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This discovery just goes to show that we as humans know squat about even our own solar system, let alone the galaxy. Hell there could be more planets that are part of our solar system that we don't know of still.

Looks like all of those "planet X" theorists where right.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neclord wrote:
This discovery just goes to show that we as humans know squat about even our own solar system, let alone the galaxy. Hell there could be more planets that are part of our solar system that we don't know of still.

Looks like all of those "planet X" theorists where right.

Most humans begin to assume stuff out of their a** after discovering a little about a subject they know minimal about.
Zieg

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm...we might expect other discoveries of that kind in the nearest future. Our technology is in constant process of developing and our telescopes are far too weak to be able to infiltrate the outer parts of solar system, at least for the time being. It also seems as though scientist weren't that interested in exploring that part of it anyway, because none of the sondas were designed to study that area. I think I can recall that I read something about astronomers saying that the mass of Pluto is not big enough to distract Neptune's orbit ( or it's radio signal, I don't really remember the exact reason for that interference), that's why the search for Planet-X had not been stopped. I believe that the mass of the current 10th planet also "won't do" and so the research shall be continued.

Oh and to clear things up...astronomers, not astrologers.
Astrologers are people loosely bound with astronomy, they're more into predicting future and horoscopes.

Last edited by Zieg on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes but Astrologers use the planets in there astrological decision making.

Anyways very cool, well I guess it's always good to check back over your work, you might find a planet or two. :lol:
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I meant astrologers, whos divination relies on the relationships between the 9 planets.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find it ironic that everyone calls it the 10th planet when half of the world's astronomers can't decide on whether Pluto is a planet. I heard about this when I was out at JPL for the summer. I also heard that they named a planet they found elsewhere, which has 3 suns, Tatooine. Yes, they named it after the Star Wars planet. No word on this one though.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being on the subject of heavenly bodies I'll just use this topic instead of making one too similar.

The smallest extrasolar planet was announced yesterday! The planet is estimated to be about 5.5 times as massive as Earth and thought to be a rocky planet. It orbits a red dwarf star about 28,000 light-years away. More info can be found at...

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060125_smallest_planet.html

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: