Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Love: Mind or Heart?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hormones are not an issue when it comes to love. It is an issue when it comes to attraction. What neanderthals did was based on hormones. There was no issue of love. It was mating for the purposes of copulation. The brain cannot tell you who you love and neither can your emotions. They can often be confused based on those very same hormones. We may confuse physical attraction with the notion that we love a person, but that is not real love.

When they say love is blind, it truly is. Hormones don't recognize character. Hormones are simply biological effects that stimulate the sensory processes of the body. They cannot be equated with love. Love is not a physical thing. If that was the case then hormones and pheromones (female hormones..for lack of getting to scientific) would be perfectly acceptable.

But, love is not just about attraction. It involves more than that and is quite a bit deeper. Yes, hormones trigger parts of the brain that correspond with emotions such as anger, happiness, and various processes that deal with the sex organs, but never could they be associated with love. Love is more than an emotion. Love cannot even be explained as an emotion. Most of the time it is not even logical.

There are all types of problems when you try to associate love to science and talk about how emotions are generated. The soul doesn't consider attraction. Your eyes tell you who you are physically attracted to and your brain rationalizes it, but that is not the essence of love. Love does not need to see and it is certainly not rational. Therefore, I find it hard to associate with biological functions. Love is not innate to anyones biological structure. We are basically animals in that aspect. We essentially only need a partner to continue the species and that's basically what hormones come down to, the beginning of puberty and our ability to mate. I would certainly not associate that with love.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You, know this argument is never going to end, on whether love is a part of natural human behavior that comes from the brain, or something else completely. However it is very clear that emotion, and love have absolutely nothing to do with the heart no matter how you look at it. Even if it did have something to do with the heart, the only connection it would have, would contradict your argument about it not having anything to do with hormones. The heart pumps blood to the brain, making the brain run smoothly, not to mention make sure it keeps working. The brain pumps hormones, among other things throughout the human body, thus the heart itself has direct correlation with causing emotions.

However, does the soul have something to do with someone falling in love with someone else? I cant say that with any certainty, and im fairly sure that no one else can either. All anything about the subject of a persons soul is all ifs, and, and maybe's with nothing concrete to say it has an effect, or if they even exist. We have no way of knowing until we are dead, so all we can do is sit back, and wait people.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could contradict, but I believe love ultimately has nothing to do with the heart or the mind at all. I believe I even state that in my posts. So, therefore I can't see how anything to do with hormones could contradict with what I stated. The heart (symbolized emotions) can be confusing, misleading and faulty if anything. The only purpose for hormones and the reason why they trigger these so-called emotions is ultimately for procreation. That has nothing to do with love. Love is a little more complex than just emotions and I think we can all agree with that. So, trying to rationalize it is faulty in the first place in my opinion. I'm not going to say that love is certainly the by-product of the spirit, I'm just saying that it is not based on either the brain or the heart. It has to involve something deeper.

Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont personally recall that I was disagreeing with you, but merely that if you were making the argument for the heart on the matter, it would be contradictory. I am sure anyone who has ever taken the most basic of science classes would know that the heart is a muscle that pumps blood. Nothing more, and nothing less than that. A lot of people have said, and I somewhat agreed that love is a by product of the workings of the human brain, and a persons spirit. For without the drive to procreate, right along with love emanating from the spirit than love is meaningless in the long run. If you have love, in it's base form but you dont have the physical need to procreate with the person, you are denying the primal need.

Since the beginning of time itself, the one thing mankind has always had, besides the need to hunt for food, is to procreate. Love, sometimes gets in the way of the human need to procreate, and carry on their gene pool. This brings about the whole issue of homosexuality now, as if love and the need for procreation are conjoined how does that work? Perhaps those that are so inclined, can resist the human need to procreate, to follow what their heart( figuratively speaking) is telling them. Just like someone can go out there, and find someone they dont love at all, just for the sake of procreation. It works in many ways folks.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Love is a little more complex than just emotions and I think we can all agree with that. So, trying to rationalize it is faulty in the first place in my opinion. I'm not going to say that love is certainly the by-product of the spirit, I'm just saying that it is not based on either the brain or the heart. It has to involve something deeper.

Soul?

People keep a perspective here, I mean what the heck is a soul if you are not religious (thus from a perspective), let me tell you what is, continence, if someone opens my brain right now and pokes at it he can make me cry laugh and all sort of emotions to rise up.

Don't look at this romantically or at least if you do recognize that is simply your perspective that is not based on facts but beliefs, love is simply some chemical reactions, adding into that is the Psyche, yes that is the continence that shifts and changes according to our genes and experiences in life, and remember animals here.

I heard on the news was it yesterday or the day before that a Whale was making circles over her dead baby whale carcass of the cost of Australia (the little whale was caught on some nets the Australian authorities put to keep the Sharks at bay), was that maternal instinct?

Isn't that a form of love and devotion, that animal at that time loved its child and mourned at the loss, there was no soul involved nothing deeper than chemical reactions love is one of the emotions we get to have as advanced living beings, for a realist like me all that we are is flesh and bone that rots and deteriorates in time, what would love mean after 100 years, maybe nothing the world will not be the same then.

There A LOT of factors going on here so take them into mind, the power of suggestion and our gullible psyche is to blame some times.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say neither, come on, who believe loves comes from the heart, or even the mind, my heart pumps the blood, and my brains does everything mental and physical (for a certain extent).

I say it's that little creature's making, the one some call Cupid, he shots the arrows and people fall down in pain fist then in love.

To be more serious here, I don't really know, I never been in love, and how can someone be really sure where love comes from.

If love is a feeling then it is from the heart, and if love is an idea then it is from the mind, simple as that, no one really can be sure.

But for me I think love is both, a thought and a feeling altogether, when the thought of love (or whatever, you know) comes, the shivering feeling fellows along (I believe), making love both a thought and a feeling coming from both the heart and the mind.

Yeah, that's what I think, but again, this is coming from someone who never fell in love.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Soul?

People keep a perspective here, I mean what the heck is a soul if you are not religious (thus from a perspective), let me tell you what is, continence, if someone opens my brain right now and pokes at it he can make me cry laugh and all sort of emotions to rise up.

It seems that you've totally missed the point. I'm saying that love involves neither the heart or the mind, it may have a little of both, but it is far beyond those two realms.

Quote:

Don't look at this romantically or at least if you do recognize that is simply your perspective that is not based on facts but beliefs, love is simply some chemical reactions, adding into that is the Psyche, yes that is the continence that shifts and changes according to our genes and experiences in life, and remember animals here.

So, if I understand your statement correctly, you are saying that we are not supposed express an opinion if it is our own perspective? That's kind of strange as everyone who has made a post here is basing everything on their perspectives, their beliefs, and certainly not facts. Love is a word. It is not a chemical reaction. Hormones don't dictate love.

My point is that bringing science into the realm of love is faulty at best because no one can properly ascertain where it originates from. We believe that intelligent beings can love, but how do we explain the apparent loyalty of our pets? Is that a chemical reaction or an action of the psyche? I think not. Whether you deny religion (atheist) you still have faith in something. So, you can renounce the soul, but you must accept something drives us.

My first dog had been with another dog for years. That dog passed away and my dog did nothing for months. It would not eat, walk, or anything. Just sat in a corner. My dog had no idea that dog had even passed away. So, was that a chemical reaction? Was the cause of its sadness just some sort of biological function or was it something deeper? I can't say for sure, but I'll go out on a limb and say it had nothing to do with my dog's hormones as they were both female.

A chemical reaction is making salt from Na+ and Cl-. Hormones only serve to prepare the body for necessary functions, such as protecting itself. Love is not a rational explainable thing.

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

So, if I understand your statement correctly, you are saying that we are not supposed express an opinion if it is our own perspective? That's kind of strange as everyone who has made a post here is basing everything on their perspectives, their beliefs, and certainly not facts. Love is a word. It is not a chemical reaction. Hormones don't dictate love.

Erm, I never said that what I said is to recognize that I can do the same and say aliens have scourged the earth, I have any facts to support that?
No I don't, thus making it my belief something that I personally think is the case, they way you make it sound is like that is the way not for you but for everybody.

Make sure you differentiate, as I keep saying everyone is allowed to their opinions, you don't present any argument with any facts like Filipe for instance you just say is that way because I feel like it, is your right but for you not for me or anyone else, that is where the line goes.

Quote:

My point is that bringing science into the realm of love is faulty at best because no one can properly ascertain where it originates from. We believe that intelligent beings can love, but how do we explain the apparent loyalty of our pets? Is that a chemical reaction or an action of the psyche? I think not. Whether you deny religion (atheist) you still have faith in something. So, you can renounce the soul, but you must accept something drives us.

Eh, you miss the point here, we also love inn-animate objects what deeper beyond our mind telling us we need love is there, I know people that have fallen in-love with women without ever seeing them simply because they talked to the to them a couple of times on the phone, and to an impartial woman, is that really the deep love you are talking about, that unexplained thing (to you) that drives us is our body and our psyche, hormones have nothing to do with love in specific but sex, that is a different thing.

Also people love their houses, people love their soccer teams or whatever is all in the mind, everything is in there.

The something deeper that drives us is not deeper at all, is simply what we think is right and wrong, you think that Hitler thought that the things that he did were wrong, no he didn't, to his mind all that horror was right (an extreme example of a convinced mind).

EDIT: Let me say something more about how I feel and think about love.

I think that love is a perception a thought an illusion and yet I'm romantic and I like to fall in love, but I recognize the reason the cause and effect, still I like to think in romance and some thing deeper kind of like you but with a twist, that I recognize reality based on facts, I still like to let my self be taken over by the dream as long as I'm aware that is just a dream and I have my feet on reality I'm fine, for example if I fall in love it will be forever.

Why?

Because in that kind of feelings I'm obsolete, love is a beautiful chemical reaction and when I'm romantically interacting with members of the opposite sex I don't think like I state above but more like Urn using words such as spirit and heart, but I can find my self lost in a woman's eyes for example but as far as I know that all those things are a physical mortal thing I repeat then I know that I will not lost my self in a mixture of feeling depending on situation.

Now a question to all of you, have you ever heard of an epic true love outside of the realms of fiction and to make it easier history?
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The something deeper that drives us is not deeper at all, is simply what we think is right and wrong, you think that Hitler thought that the things that he did were wrong, no he didn't, to his mind all that horror was right (an extreme example of a convinced mind).

Maybe I did miss the point, but everything you stated before this contradicts everything you said in that quoted statement. How can loving an inanimate object deal with right and wrong? Do you believe a house has feelings? So, why would a person consider the right an wrong in that? And I don't even know how Hitler got thrown into the mix.

Quote:

Make sure you differentiate, as I keep saying everyone is allowed to their opinions, you don't present any argument with any facts like Filipe for instance you just say is that way because I feel like it, is your right but for you not for me or anyone else, that is where the line goes.

Well, I'm certainly confused with that statement. So, Filipe is stating facts? So, he has proven what love is through facts? Hmm, everything that I read in his statements seemed like an opinion to me. Also, I believe this thread was intended to express what we believe love to be either the brain or the heart. So, I'm wrong for expressing what I believe it to be? I have nothing to contribute to the argument because it is my belief?

I'm not saying that is what you are saying, but that is how that statement comes off. You, Filipe and myself are all expressing beliefs. Nothing in here can be considered facts when you are talking about love. The only real fact that Filipe added was that hormones contribute to emotions, but again, that has nothing to do with who we love. So, I will continue to state what I believe it to be.

Quote:

Because in that kind of feelings I'm obsolete, love is a beautiful chemical reaction and when I'm romantically interacting with members of the opposite sex I don't think like I state above but more like Urn using words such as spirit and heart, but I can find my self lost in a woman's eyes for example but as far as I know that all those things are a physical mortal thing I repeat then I know that I will not lost my self in a mixture of feeling depending on situation.

What confuses me is that you say all that in the above quoted statement, but then you say this:
Quote:

I think that love is a perception a thought an illusion

So, is it a physical, mortal thing, or a perception, a thought, an illusion? You talk about cause and effects, dreams and reality; that's my whole point. Love does not have to make sense. Dreams, reality, cause and effect; those are meaningless to love. You are trying to make sense out of a word that we have given for an emotion that has no definition and thus cannot be explained. Science and reason cannot explain love. It's beyond reason. When you try to apply logic to love you only end up going around in circles.

As for the epic true love question, I don't know if I have or haven't. I come from a family of slave descent. Nothing can be seen as a true epic love when nothing can be written down, but mostly passed on through word of mouth. I know of great grandparents that met during the end of slavery, fell in love, and went on to live together for 60 years, and dying together. That's what I call finding a 'soulmate'. That was my grandmother's parents. But, whether that is true epic love or not, I'll leave that up to you.

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Maybe I did miss the point, but everything you stated before this contradicts everything you said in that quoted statement. How can loving an inanimate object deal with right and wrong? Do you believe a house has feelings? So, why would a person consider the right an wrong in that? And I don't even know how Hitler got thrown into the mix.

Hitler did something that was right for you or something that is debatable?

He did something wrong but from his perspective it was right, thus the example of his convinced mind.

As for been contradictive you people are killing me, I'm the mother of contradiction and I have explained why elsewhere I'm tired to say it again just think of what contradictions I say carefully and you will see what I mean.

Quote:

Well, I'm certainly confused with that statement. So, Filipe is stating facts? So, he has proven what love is through facts? Hmm, everything that I read in his statements seemed like an opinion to me. Also, I believe this thread was intended to express what we believe love to be either the brain or the heart. So, I'm wrong for expressing what I believe it to be? I have nothing to contribute to the argument because it is my belief?

Fact, something that is proven.

Belief, something that is thought to be or conceived to be.

I never said that you have nothing to contribute, you do, everything must be taken in mind, I contradict again don't I, then let me explain.

Because what you say is not proven and is simply your perception that doesn't mean that is not true, is just not proven to be, so it can't be taken as a fact, get it now?

Quote:

So, is it a physical, mortal thing, or a perception, a thought, an illusion? You talk about cause and effects, dreams and reality; that's my whole point. Love does not have to make sense. Dreams, reality, cause and effect; those are meaningless to love. You are trying to make sense out of a word that we have given for an emotion that has no definition and thus cannot be explained. Science and reason cannot explain love. It's beyond reason. When you try to apply logic to love you only end up going around in circles.

Here to put it otherwise, love is a dream we have two things here the man who is crazy and the man who is mad let me give an example in the difference though they basically mean they same thing.

Mad: This man has a problem in his brain that makes him think he's in love a physical problem an anomaly that doesn't let him faction properly.

Crazy: This man is crazy he thinks his in love, he has no brain reason to do so he is just convinced that, that is the case, he got convinced by situations and appearances.

So you see those two things can also combine but the second one is everyone in love, and no I don't claim that everyone who falls ion love is crazy the crazy and mad are used to set an example based on the physical and psychic state.

I hope I make sense now.

Quote:

That was my grandmother's parents. But, whether that is true epic love or not, I'll leave that up to you.

I will not say that is not because it actually might be, but I'm sure that depended on other things and the need to unite since love is not the one person and the other alone.

Unfortunately love has a damn relation to sex a very close one, people who are in love or think they are or whatever have sex in their being together list right at the very top.

Though at the same time sex has nothing to do with love, or some people would start to rape things and relatives left and right, so there several levels and forms of love based on several things.

I hope that my general philosophical dribbles make sense.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Hitler did something that was right for you or something that is debatable?

He did something wrong but from his perspective it was right, thus the example of his convinced mind.

I just didn't see how Hitler was relevant, or how it was relevant to the topic as a whole.

Quote:

Fact, something that is proven.

Belief, something that is thought to be or conceived to be.

I never said that you have nothing to contribute, you do, everything must be taken in mind, I contradict again don't I, then let me explain.

Because what you say is not proven and is simply your perception that doesn't mean that is not true, is just not proven to be, so it can't be taken as a fact, get it now?

It seems that you just don't get it. What Filipe stated is not facts because we cannot prove that hormones have any relevance when it comes to love. You are stating use facts and give a nice little definition of what facts are, but you miss the whole point that his usage of hormones and their relevance to emotions is in no way a fact when it comes to love.

So, anything that was mentioned there is based on his own perception of how hormones relate to love. So, when you say use something that can be proven, or a fact, that you are wrong from the beginning because it is all based on perceptions. So, that is why it is confusing when you say that I only use perceptions because the whole argument is based on each person's individual perceptions. We couldn't even begin to discuss this subject if we had to rely on facts. That was what I was trying to point out. If my flaw is using perception, then we are all subject to that same flaw and if that is taken into account then we all have relatively nothing to contribute.

Quote:

Mad: This man has a problem in his brain that makes him think he's in love a physical problem an anomaly that doesn't let him faction properly.

Crazy: This man is crazy he thinks his in love, he has no brain reason to do so he is just convinced that, that is the case, he got convinced by situations and appearances.

So you see those two things can also combine but the second one is everyone in love, and no I don't claim that everyone who falls ion love is crazy the crazy and mad are used to set an example based on the physical and psychic state.

I hope I make sense now.

This example just shows that no one knows what love is and that it definitely cannot be explained by the brain or the heart. The examples that you use have a bias sort of feel to them anyway. You try to express that there is a reason for these two individuals to believe they are in love, but you negate the fact that people can be in love without ever meeting the other person. They can fall in love just at the sight of another person.

They don't have to be crazy or convinced. It could just happen. I love my mom and I don't know why and I don't even try to explain it. You might say, hell it's because she's your mother, but that isn't true because she has never been a mother to me and I still love her. I'm not obligated to do so and I can;t even tell you why, but I still do. People love all sorts of things without any reason and you forget all about those situations in that analogy.

Quote:

Unfortunately love has a damn relation to sex a very close one, people who are in love or think they are or whatever have sex in their being together list right at the very top.

Though at the same time sex has nothing to do with love, or some people would start to rape things and relatives left and right, so there several levels and forms of love based on several things.

I don't even know where to start..I'll just crown you King of Contradictions and let that be the end of it. But, this just shows that we have no idea where love comes from. Science can't explain it, logic sure as hell can;t explain it, so there must be something beyond those two ways of thinking.

Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't pretend to speak for everyone, and i don't think anyone could, but i think we use our minds. I know i do at least. Sure everyone eventually comes to love someone on a deeper level than just looks or situation, but i think it all starts in the mind. When you first approach a potential friend or girlfriend it is based on the situation you are put in and how they present themselves. I think of myself as very superficial when it comes to girls as potential girlfriends so i know it comes from my mind. I have predetermined specifics that girls i date usually have to fall under and those determine if i will ever be put in a position to love that person. That tells me that at this point in my life my mind is telling me who i should love or who i should be put in a position to love.

I do have a different position on this matter when it comes to family though. Since we have no choice of what family we are born into, i don't think mind has that significant of an affect. We are basically forced to spend so much time with our family that choosing who to love doesn't really matter. I know as far as my family goes that even though they may not be my first choice as to who i spend time with, i will always love my family because i grew up with them and the experiences we have gone through. That in my mind is more of love dealing with your heart. (not the physical heart of course.)

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the confusing here comes when trying to ascertain the difference between family and non-family aspects. I don't discern between love. Sure I love my family different than I would love a girlfriend, but it's love all the same. We can use our minds to try to reason out why we love or don't love a person, but that's after we have already consented to the fact that we love them.

So, where does love come from? You can't choose who you love, no matter which situation you try to derive it in. There can be logical reasons to love or not love a person, but does logic really play a part in real love ultimately? We derive emotions from love and we try to logically explain the reasons for those emotions with the brain, but again this is after we have already consented to loving or not loving someone or something. So, ultimately we are left to contemplate where this love comes from.

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I just didn't see how Hitler was relevant, or how it was relevant to the topic as a whole.

Hitler's reference comes as an example, nothing more nothing less.

Quote:

It seems that you just don't get it. What Filipe stated is not facts because we cannot prove that hormones have any relevance when it comes to love.

They don't have a direct contact, is just that Filipe proved part of the attraction with facts, because part of it are the hormones.

Quote:

So, anything that was mentioned there is based on his own perception of how hormones relate to love. So, when you say use something that can be proven, or a fact, that you are wrong from the beginning because it is all based on perceptions. So, that is why it is confusing when you say that I only use perceptions because the whole argument is based on each person's individual perceptions. We couldn't even begin to discuss this subject if we had to rely on facts. That was what I was trying to point out. If my flaw is using perception, then we are all subject to that same flaw and if that is taken into account then we all have relatively nothing to contribute.

Perception is when you think things are a certain way; fact is when you know things are a certain way.

I know that love is part of many things; the psychological conviction to love is the most important since it has to do with all the kinds of love.

Quote:

This example just shows that no one knows what love is and that it definitely cannot be explained by the brain or the heart. The examples that you use have a bias sort of feel to them anyway.

I don't understand about the bias part, there biased like how?

Love is our physical and psychological need to connect, as long as someone recognizes that they can lose themselves in the illusion, safely knowing that whenever they want they can come out.

Quote:

They can fall in love just at the sight of another person.

People have fallen in love with fictional people they have fallen in love with celebrities and it goes on you see, is all in the mind.

Quote:

They don't have to be crazy or convinced. It could just happen. I love my mom and I don't know why and I don't even try to explain it. You might say, hell it's because she's your mother, but that isn't true because she has never been a mother to me and I still love her.

Hmm, strange, because I certainly don't love my mother and there's a damn good reason for it, so you see from your point of view you do because of your experiences, we don't have choice on family Barbarosa Rugner put it better so I won't go there.

Quote:

I don't even know where to start..I'll just crown you King of Contradictions and let that be the end of it. But, this just shows that we have no idea where love comes from. Science can't explain it, logic sure as hell can;t explain it, so there must be something beyond those two ways of thinking.

There is but I don't want to go on an off topic philosophical rant again.

Quote:

o, where does love come from? You can't choose who you love, no matter which situation you try to derive it in.

You can love anyone that fits your profile for attractive is nice to you and you spend a lot of time together is that simple, you can even come to love people you have connection with and don't fill the rest of the requirements, you can fall for people you feel sorry for or people that need you or people who abuse you is all in the psychological condition and what you think you feel.

Quote:

We derive emotions from love and we try to logically explain the reasons for those emotions with the brain, but again this is after we have already consented to loving or not loving someone or something. So, ultimately we are left to contemplate where this love comes from.

You can tell that you will fall in love with someone before you do, or in some cases convince your own self to do so.

Love is not just one and two things, is based on some physical and some psychological criteria, I don't know why you want to add depth into it, you can still live the illusion knowing what is really about I know I do.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Perception is when you think things are a certain way; fact is when you know things are a certain way.

But, we don't know that hormones are in a certain way involved in love, so it's just his perception.

Quote:

They don't have a direct contact, is just that Filipe proved part of the attraction with facts, because part of it are the hormones.

I don't see what attraction has to do with love personally. Being attracted to a person has something to do with sex, but nothing to do with love. So, proving part of the attraction served no purpose at all to me and really didn't further our knowledge of where love comes from in my opinion.

Quote:

I don't understand about the bias part, there biased like how?

It just means that you used examples that could not help but point a person towards one single conclusion and not allow for any others. Those examples were set in away that it was clearly obvious what your opinion on the topic was. In order to make good examples, it should not have a slant bent towards only your opinion but should be neutral.

Quote:

Hmm, strange, because I certainly don't love my mother and there's a damn good reason for it, so you see from your point of view you do because of your experiences, we don't have choice on family Barbarosa Rugner put it better so I won't go there.

Worng! Consider the fact that I never met my biological mother. Now what would you say? Thus, I could have no experiences with her, right?

Quote:

Love is our physical and psychological need to connect, as long as someone recognizes that they can lose themselves in the illusion, safely knowing that whenever they want they can come out.

I can say I agree that the need to connect on a physical and psychological level is involved in developing love, but I won't consent that it is love. Love can happen without conditions. It can be unrequited. It is supposed to be without cause. So, I don't know if that is love.

Quote:

People have fallen in love with fictional people they have fallen in love with celebrities and it goes on you see, is all in the mind.

Whether or not tha is true or false, I cannot say, but falling in love with a celebrity cannot be seen as true love. I'd say that it is an illusion of love. I can't consent to that being love.

Quote:

You can love anyone that fits your profile for attractive is nice to you and you spend a lot of time together is that simple, you can even come to love people you have connection with and don't fill the rest of the requirements, you can fall for people you feel sorry for or people that need you or people who abuse you is all in the psychological condition and what you think you feel.

Yes, you can, but those are reasons for loving someone that you derive after being in love. That does not say when loving that individual began and certainly does not say where love comes from. When you love someone you don't say I choose to love you. You've already made that decision before the words come from your mouth or the thoughts appear in your head. The above are just reasons to love, but not where love comes from. You don't choose to love.

Quote:

Love is not just one and two things, is based on some physical and some psychological criteria, I don't know why you want to add depth into it, you can still live the illusion knowing what is really about I know I do.

Who is adding depth? The depth is already there? This topic asks where does love come from: the heart or the mind, and it is obvious that it is neither. I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't want to come to a conclusion, but I'm more than convinced that love comes from something other than emotions and reasons. So I choose not to live in an illusion as I pursue truth. Accepting an illusion would mean that I quit in my pursuit of knowledge. As for this topic, I just wanted to convince myself that there exist a spiritual bond between two people in an undefinable form or what we call love.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: