Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Love: Mind or Heart?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idylan Thomas

Moonlight Drive

105871 Potch
1194 Soldiers
1670 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Love: Mind or Heart? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We have this debate at school, the topic : In love, what do we use, our minds or our heart?

So, I was thinking I should make on here (not for debate but for references). Guys, what do you think we use?
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definitely the heart, since this one girl I really like I wouldn't pursue if I was in my right mind... :roll:

(Though some guys will think with another organ... >_> )

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We use our hearts and that is why we do stupid things, is it wrong?

No should we use our minds?

Yes and no, you see love is something wonderful, and it can also be an illusion, people have a hard time determining true love and affection for someone from an infatuation.

You see when you love one with the true meaning of the word then your order in life goes like this.

*That person*
Your self

Someone who has cheated on his loved one never really loved her, you can put a petty sexual desire over something so absolute as love.

So we use our vague hearts but in reality we should use both, the reason doomed love stories are the best is because usually at the end they didn't get to live happily ever after, they savor the love for as long as it lasts and that is why is kept true during that time.

Love is apparently a very fickle thing these days, you know that warm emotion we feel when we love someone, that butterflies in our stomach as it has been described, well you wake up one day and you notice that its gone, and that is because of the mind and not because of the heart.

People should use both and really come into terms with the concept of love, but if the question simply is what we use in love our hearts or our mind, then as I said our hearts, that is why most relationships don't work this days.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It depends on what you mean by love. Question is, is its affection for someone, or a lust for someone?

I think the problem of love being confused with infatuation lies with the fact that there are so many ways to use the word love. You know, the whole eskimos have 14 words for ice and we have 1 for love.

You can say that you love pizza, your mother, your girlfriend, and really each one has a different meaning. but all are love. and you don't (or at least I hope you don't) Love pizza the same was as your girlfriend.

Personally, i think we should use our minds to love, but people do what the disney movies say and go with their hearts.(The prince from Snow white should have known she was trouble. She was living with 7 dudes)

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm keep it real to the cold slap of reality we use our brains. The hearts just pumps blood.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the sense of love as in a relationship, I think a healthy romance needs both. You've got to get along - otherwise, it's just lust and it just fizzles out because you find yourselves having nothing - or not enough, at least - in common. But if you're just got a mental connection, well, it's a steady relationship but it's a passionless one, and a lot of people can't - or won't, anyway - be happy with that. It's more of a friendship, there, I think. (Though love can bloom from friendship. ^_^)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Odessa++

11000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it depends about the attraction, passion, trust, compatibility..etc.. all those kinda things that we know lead to love

maybe we like to think that we use our hearts when we fall for someone

Child of The Sea God wrote:
I'm keep it real to the cold slap of reality we use our brains. The hearts just pumps blood.

haha i guess i agree
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

Though love can bloom from friendship. ^_^)

Yeah, but make sure you don't ever try it... Trust me... I know how it feels, and the after effect of it too... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since love is a hormonal reaction (an 'emotion', like normal people say), I'd say that we love with our hearts.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Love is apparently a very fickle thing these days, you know that warm emotion we feel when we love someone, that butterflies in our stomach as it has been described, well you wake up one day and you notice that its gone, and that is because of the mind and not because of the heart.

This is wrong. Are you saying that many of the 20 years and older marriages today, that are breaking apart is because of a man and a woman who could not differentiate between their mind saying something and their heart saying something? News flash: sometimes love doesn't last forever. If you love someone many years before, often times, numerous factors, or even just time, can erode those feelings that you have for someone, away. It isn't because people were in "vague" love or anything.

Quote:
but if the question simply is what we use in love our hearts or our mind, then as I said our hearts, that is why most relationships don't work this days

Relationships these days don't fail because people refuse to follow their heart over their minds. Come on. It's a lot more complex and mature than that.

For my answer, it's obvious that we love with our "hearts". Not the one that keeps our body alive, but the heart, the soul. That unseen thing that likes to play with our lives and turn it upside down. You cannot convince yourself to love, or to think that you're in love. This is too simple to answer. Anyway who has been in love can easily say, it's not your mind that drives you, but so many other alien feelings and compulsions that we shouldn't try to understand.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

people are stupid and confussed and delude them selfs into things. or can't seperate infatuation from love, or their libido for "i am a cozy warm person" yeh well you need A to get to B.
the brain is a horridly wonderfull and amazing thing, chemicals go and tell us what to do, we're social animals by nature and are programed to set off for these kinds of ventures. some wonder though if humans were ment to be monogamus..sounds nice though? a little sappy but nice.

I think it could be possble to delude onelsef, like make your self think you are forming crushes easier than normal out of being a pathidic person and getting one step closer to "desperate", its better than being to picky right? On the otherhand its not very healthy to do that, then you never know if you truly want to presure somone.

as for love I figure its there when you don't give a crap about someone's hobby or apperance or if you don't do things they do (dance, drink, smoke, play tennis, like parrots, eat meat, are xyz faith) but when it bothers you...i guess you are a bad person. what would it mean if you 'are crushing somone" and focus on those things to wash away the needless "attraction".

again maby its a trick to get humans to breed, not just humans but Parrots and Dolphins. Or any 'pair-bonding' aniaml.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not everyone is the same, but for the most part, we use our hearts. Sometimes brains get in there, but mostly, it's hearts.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

El Regrs wrote:
Not everyone is the same, but for the most part, we use our hearts. Sometimes brains get in there, but mostly, it's hearts.

I agree 100% on this one.

But we are forgetting about something here...

The booze people!

I`ve seen many hearts soften up by it! Of course once the effects were off, it`s a nice slam dunk into reality xD

I generally go with the heart but sometimes thinking everything a bit helps too.

But what I dislike is the "cientific status" they are giving to love lately... saying that it`s all nothing but a chemical reaction doesn't seem right to me.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to go with Sophita on this one. I met Jenna as a friend and we became quite close, but nothing happened. Many months passed, and eventually I began to have stronger feelings towards her and after going out with her for months, began to fall in love with her.

I don't think my heart could trully appreciate her without the connection we had with our minds. Myself and Jenna have been together nearly 2 years and 4 months, and our hearts are in tune, but the difficult part (and I use the word difficult hesitantly) is making sure our minds our in tune. Talking and understanding. Because as St. Ajora says - many things can erode a relationship from within, and before you know it, your mind is still there, but hasn't caught on that the heart is gone.

The way I think of it is the heart is a simplistic tool. It loves, it doesn't love. It lusts, it doesn't lust. Very black and white. You can have this feeling flowing about you from your heart. Whether it's logical or not is irrelevant. Love you're unprepared for, or in denial, would feel like this.

The mind reasons and understands why you are feeling this way. If you have this feeling, yet the person is abusive and you still have these feelings, then it's difficult to get your heart to understand the logic of it all. Similarly, if you love someone that isn't of the "norm" in your group (be it friends, family, society, school etc) it can be hard for you mind to understand the logistics of why the heart is having these feelings. The heart wants what it wants.

Love is a mix of many things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. It's never going to be a fairytale movie where you have this epiphany and suddenly everything is perfect. You can't make your heart feel about someone, but in the same way, if your mind isn't in tune with it, it can take a long while to understand your heart. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard but I think in the end, you need a balance.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It all depends on the way that you look at love. If you are thinking about the feelings of love physically it is all in your brain. Physically, all love is, simply enough is a bunch of endorphins going off in your head when you see someone, or something you feel attached to in one form, or another.

When it comes to a girlfriend, or boyfriend it fuels chemically the need for companionship which comes naturally to all beings. You could almost say that it's an animalistic need, which usually goes hand in hand with the instinctive desire to procreate. There are of course, exceptions to that rule.

When it comes to a parent, a pet, or something you truly enjoy it's more of an emotional attachment love. While with a parent, it comes to you naturally with your birth, namely you cant unlove a parent instinctively, it's different with a pet, or a favorite food, or belonging. You grow to love your pet, because you are not instinctively attached to it. The same goes for favorite food, or belonging as well. With those two, you can also grow out of love with said food, belonging, or pet because it's more of a temporary attachment.

Love from the heart, even though it seems real, is probably nothing more than your heart reacting to the messages your brain is sending you. Of course it is real, just like the things I just mentioned however it is more like a side effect of what comes naturally. However, that part of the body, I suppose you could say regulates the control you have over said emotions. It ties in physically, not just figuratively as for the brain to send out said endorfins, it needs blood which is pumped through the heart. It's all connected folks, in the end the heart feeds the brain blood, and oxygen thus allows emotions which come through the brain to surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: