Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Quitting Vegetarianism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarlightEx

La Brigade des Loups

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if the problem is only proteins, you can get everything you need from soy products, my gf is like that. And my grandmother was a vegetarian too, well not those that don't eat dairy products, she just didn't eat any kind of meat.
I think a person can live perfectly without meat.
Just for the record, I'm not a vegetarian, I love meat, and I also love tofu =p
Sucks that I have to go on a diet from red meat and sea fruits (that's the biggest problem) cause I have too much... something acid in my blood (dunno the word in english, sorry).. hehe

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tofu isn't bad, but I can easily understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea. The texture is very unique, as is the natural flavor. If it's something you try for your first time at an older age (as opposed to growing up with it,) it would definitely be a bit of a ... unique food. There's no point over arguing personal tastes, though :)

I think tofu is a perfectly fine tasting, though I'll admit I'm not a fan of it completely plain (i.e. dumped out of it's container onto a plate and left for consumption. My host family in Japan pulled this on me after I said I liked tofu... I guess I'm not as big of a fan as I thought, I enjoy a little bit more with it than just the marks from its plastic container...)
Angelus Silverberg

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Errrghhh, i hate the texture blech!

Living and dying, laughing and crying.
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like tofu, but not plain cold tofu. I can eat that too, but deffinately not something I enjoy.
I'm not vegetarian, but I've considered being vegetarian. I like veggies and tofu and such a lot, and I greatly dislike some meats. I only really enjoy a limited amount of fish, and chicken/turkey. And to top it off, I don't eat much of that either. I just find it more convenient to be able to eat meat as well, for when I go to visit a friend for dinner, or try to find something to eat on the run. vegetarianism seems too difficult for me.
But one day, I will probably switch, since I always feel bad after eating meat. I don't like to think about eating something that was once an animal. For now I'm just a morally regretful meat-eater.
StarlightEx

La Brigade des Loups

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I for one couldn't care less if what I'm eating used to move or not. I mean, that's how nature is. I mean, the way they are killed is obviously cruel, but at least is not as painful as having a huge lion hanging on your neck lol And for me, plants are living creatures just as well, I wouldn't hurt one just like I wouldn't hurt an animal (except for eating of course, although I'm not the on who does it). Although I'd have no problem becoming a vegetarian. Meat is good, but not essential.
This reminds me of something I read in another forum lol "I'm a vegetarian not because I like animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmmmmm......meat *drools*

I would not be able to survive without meat. :twisted:
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue, I got a question. You say you do indulge in a juicy chick....one second. *Goes to grab a nice slab of beef* Alright. You like to eat meat right? Do you, yourself, consider....yourself to be a vegetarian? Or do you just say to yourself "I'll only eat meat once in a while. Seeing as it's not a staple to our health (Save the protien and iron red meat gives you) would you consider yourself a vegetarian, or do you just have meatless eating habits?
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crono wrote:
Mmmmmm......meat *drools*

I would not be able to survive without meat. :twisted:

Physically, almost everyone could, but choose not to.

emotionally / psychologically, i understand many cannot let go of old customs/traditions. you can survive without meat, ask most doctors, it'll just mean you have to watch your diet more vigerously.

now for something odd
"mmm, asparagus, mmmh!" :roll:

(oh, i'm not 'starting' anything!)
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tofu made me...um the texture is strange.

soy, its such a poser, i mean come on man..its in crayons and food. why not build moon rockets out of soybeans?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if I could bring myself to eat Tofu, I mean there's just something about ripping in to something that use to be alive that appeals to me, but again I say I applaud you who can stay away from meat.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've had Tofu different times, and have come to different conclusions about it. I've had Miso soup, in which there were squares of Tofu, which I thought were incredibly delicious (I love miso soup), however, a year earlier I had eaten some tofu-stick things that my friend, who is a vegetarian, brought in to work. These tasted like cardboard, so I dipped them in BBQ sauce, to have them taste like . . . barbecue flavored cardboard. I guess different things just taste better when prepared in different ways. Or, it could have been different types of tofu, but I have no idea.

I also have views on vegetarianism, which I came up with after a shower I took two days ago. To live, we have to kill, right? Regardless of what it is, for a human to survive, it has to consume something that was once alive. Plants are alive too, so what's the point in refusing to eat living things if abstaining from the consumption of one type of organism just causes one to consume more of a different organism.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Sucks that I have to go on a diet from red meat and sea fruits (that's the biggest problem) cause I have too much... something acid in my blood (dunno the word in english, sorry).. hehe

what is a sea fruit? I straining to translate it into well, my english...the closest thing I can think of is a mer-banana but they don't exist, and sea cucumbers are animals.

Quote:

Plants are alive too, so what's the point in refusing to eat living things if abstaining from the consumption of one type of organism just causes one to consume more of a different organism.

well, there are people for that, they are called "fruitarians" or somthing, they only eat fruits that naturaly fall from trees, they claim it hurts an apple tree greatly when you pick it's apples. Its mean to do this so its best to eat what falls from it (why I hate apple picking, too many drunken wasps)

Quote:

I'm a vegetarian not because I like animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

thats a good one, just like the "peta" once (people eating tasty animals

mind you there are some people/races/tribes/ect who have diets, Peta is trying to make dairy look evil by giving us stats on the number of lactose intolerant groups, while traditionaly/historicaly/bioloigcaly these people aren't "milk/cheese" people, if you are of European decent you are a cheese person, if your ancestory is African, and your ancestors stop eating milk after being weeined (sp?) then of course, you will be Lactose intolerant.

on another note, um, don't Inuets(damn the spelling!) have a primarly meat based diet? (Alaska isn't New Jersey you know) so as a people they can live off of manily raw sea animals and hooved animals (the spelling of cara-boo escapes me)
while if a peole live where crops do well, naturally they will be suited for a varied or, plant and grain diet.

If I can recall correctly from one of my nerd shows, we, as humans might not be where we are today if we did't start eating meat, the protiens in meat are good for the brain, in fact Mr. Brain needs them, for a bigger brain humans had to give up another organ that was "expensive", this was the gut area, a large gut is needed to digest plant fibers.

I've see both ends of the gut size argument and the digestive processes of meat and plants, one side says "meat cannot be digested, it sits and rots in your stomach, meat-animals have small intestents that go strait from the stomach out to the butt" they add "humans have big stomachs for eating plants and plants are easily digested.

Then I hear from other people "plant fibers are very hard to digest" and the fact that it takes longer to digest and basicly all the foodstuffs sits and ferments for a long time, the food isn't jam packed with nutrients so they need to eat all the time.

the "anti meat" argument was by somone on the internet (an english speeking person who made my typing coherrent and spelling good) the "true story of digestion" was from a nerd show on what scientists are piceing togher on how dinosaurs lived.
-----------
for some reason its becoming hard to explane things logicaly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the brain thing is interesting: einstein was a vegetarian, and he is said to have used the largest capicity of his brain than anyone else in history. his brain was efficient, yet i do NOT believe this had anything to do with his choice of diet.

Plant fibres are hard to digest, sometime, not even digested at all (food high in fibre, blah blah). yet our bodies are suited to absorb maximum nutrients from these "hard to digest" foods, as our intestines are long (i think we got 3 meters, and many times more if you think of surface area).

anyone's body can adapt to the food they eat: i could easily start an atkins protein diet, and i believe i would only get sick for psychological reasons mainly. i could take up a vegan diet, and not get sick either.

as for lactoce intolerance: my friends are european, and they're lactoce intolerant. *urgh* my friend is indonesian, and she can't drink milk. but they all once could.

milk is kind of icky anyway.

the other argument is that only 30 percent of crops are fed to humans: the rest is redistributed to animals for the meat industry (apparantly). this is seen by some "moralistic" vegetarian/vegans as an inequitable distribution of food resources, while people in 3rd world countries still starve to death. by not participating in the meat production industry (by consuming meat goods), not only do they drive down the DEMAND for meat DOWN (which results in cheaper prices) it theoretically means Producers will REDUCE the SUPPY (less animals, which will "Stabilise" prices). this results in less animals being killed, and less food "wasted" to feed them.

so in that, there's "pain minimisation", and food distribution equality.

on pain, plants are not highly evolved to feel and respond to pain much. it's more like a reflex, when we put our fingers in a flame, the plant reacts to pain not out of emotional and physical hurt, but out of defence and reflex mechanisms. it doesn't stop and thing "I've been hurt". it doesn't function on the same level. yet it does feel some type of pain, but not in the way an animal can, which is more simular to a humans pain.

vegetarianism isn't being forced upon anyone (except by self-rightious "meat is murder" groups), it's a choice, and i like having chosen it. not many can.

and still on pain: Whale or Chicken? i choose whale! the bigger the animal, the more "cuts" you can get off it, the less animals you have to "hurt" to get meat from.

but then again, whale probably tastes really fishy, and i don't like those "ugly" fish (salmon, tuna = bleh!)
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My dad would frequently question my vegetarianism (oh, update: I'm eating meat again. I've gotten sick twice, once from ribs ((good lord the sickness)) and once more the other night after eating chicken at ruby tuesdays ((i blame the restaurant, i mean, TACO BELL didnt get me sick for cryin out loud)),) his main argument was always: "man evolved because we ate meat. There's a reason the food chain exists." and so on. My reply would always be that "we've made it to the top of the food chain, yes, so we have a choice of what we can eat."

I dont know, I don't buy into the politics of vegetarianism. Be a fruititarian, be a vegan, it's a personal choice. Your views wont change anyone elses, and even years of medical research won't change someone who doesn't want to be a vegetarian into a vegetarian unless they WANT to be one.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that as long as you balance between these things (vegetables and meat) you will be fine; it is really a fact that anything that exceeds its limit can be harmful so you should have a balance in everything in your life. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: