Suikoden Unique and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Best Strategy against a vast opponent army
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augustus Silverberg

11109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Best Strategy against a vast opponent army Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suppose you were a skilled military strategist. You had ambition of your own to dominate the world. Unfortunately, your liege was a foolish monarch who would not believe you completely. On a tough mission to defeat a fortress, he gave you only 5,000 untrained soldiers to combat against 300,000 trained soldiers commanded by an experienced general. You had only 15 days supplies. Your enemy had never-ending supplies, since their king kept sending these to them. Should you lose in battle, you would be executed by your enemy or your liege. In that difficult situation, what strategy would you use...?
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a toughie, I'm not very good with strategy, so I'll leave it to the more skilled people here. :P
Cirape

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Strategy against a vast opponent army Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Augustus Silverberg wrote:
In that difficult situation, what strategy would you use...?

I would cry.

No, wait. Let me think about it. But I always prefer the bribery or dirty ball stratagies...
So it'd probably be along the lines of people sneaking in and capturing someone important while the rest distracted. Then I could threaton to kill the Important Person who the King Really Likes if I don't get what I want!
And then I could make that King kill my King. Wee~~~
I'd just have to find the Opponent's Leader's price and bargin with it. Everyone has a price, weither its money or keeping someone alive.
((I'm not evil. Really))
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any strategy would be in vain, that is just simply too much a difference in the number of troops. The best thing I could think of though would be to ambush the enemies main unit at night and kill the enemy general, similar to S2. Still there would be close to 300,000 troops left against your 4,000+ depending on how many casualties your side had. Then I would just retreat leaving the enemy forces in a confused state hopefully buying some time, but victory is just not possible...

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With a 15 days supply, there is no point in trying to defend the fortress. 5000 can defeat 300000 as long as there are supplies, but the lack of supplies would make it completely pointless.

What I would do is withdraw, and make it look as sloppy a withdrawal as possible. Make sure things are messy, and don't take all rations--I will make the enemy think I ran away scared, and didn't even bother to take supplies with me. An experienced general would know that my soldiers are not well trained, and assume that morale crumbled. Their army is also huge, thus they can not follow me very fast. Likely, they will dispatch a smaller force to come after me, lead by the general. As I retreat, I will reduce the number of fire pits I leave behind (armies need to make these every night to prapere food). This would show the enemy that my soldiers must be abandoning their post.

After a fews days of this, the enemy would assume that I have only 500 or so soldiers. By then, their soldiers would be exhausted, but the idea of capturing me, protected by a mere 500 soldiers, would keep them in pursuit. Likely they would only number in the thousands by then.

After that, make a simple tomb with my banners in the path of retreat, ideally located within a forest, or on the side of a hill or mountain. The tomb would read my name, and the enemy general would likely come forth to read it. Once he is there, crossbowmen would launch volleys to kill him. After the leader is killed, the enemy's forces would be in shambles.
Knight of Saint Loa

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You talk to your troops telling them their leige has sent them to their deaths and ask them to pledge loyalty to you, for you will see that they will live and all the ones that don't have the right to leave and return back to their king. With the remaining troops you send a formal address to the enemy general asking if you may join them because your current lord is wacko, making sure you'll be staying commander of your current men. You then properly train your men and show your true milatry genius to your new lord, thus becoming a higher ranking officer and lead your new lord to total world domination.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would take with me a party of five warriors and go to the nearby ancient ruins, defeat the Guard Dragon, and obtain the long-lost jewel that is the last of eight keys to activate the secret crypt. This secret crypt contains the ancient scrolls which teach me a new magic spell which is all-powerful. In conjunction with this spell I send out an envoy to a nation on the other side of the world to send reinforcements just at the right time, after the ancient spell has weakened the enemy but they are still defeating us. The perfectly timed reinforcements will trap the enemy and crush them.

See, its easy! All you need is seven of the eight jewel-keys before starting the process. And five brave warriors.

What possessed me to write this? I don't know. It's 1:30 AM, and the lack of sleep is getting to my brain.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a sneaky suspicion that he'd pull one of the "Sun Tzu said so and so" tactic after reading our posts. But that's alright if there was an old tactic that could be the answer to the situation.

My tactic would be sort of different, but sort of similar as well, compared to what the others have said. I would definitely find out about their water source and wether it would be possible or not to poison it. No matter how many soldiers one side has, no matter how much food supply they have, it would all go to waste if there was no water (or the water being poisoned). If it's possible, then I would simply poison the water and wait until they surrender. Easy and flawless victory. Of course I'd be smart enough to have the antidote or whatever to neutralize the poison once I have captured the fortress. There's no point in capturing a fortress full of poisons.

If that tactic couldn't be done, I'd see the location of the fortress. If it's surrounded by trees, jungles, forests, bushes, or whatever that I could burn, I'd definitely burn them down. When my life is the bet, then I'd take any form of victory rather than thinking about which one is better, to capture or to destroy. Whatever it takes, I'll take it as long as I win. And since I'm a smart strategist, I'd bring a long people from Greenpeace, they'd definitely love to plant back all those trees that I had to burn to win the battle. Victory has its price, and if Greenpeace could help me out, feel free to do so, just don't expect me to make monthly donations for the rest of my life.

If that tactic couldn't be done either, I'd use the last resort. Pretend to surrender and since the opponent probably have a Sun Tzu wannabe strategist, they'd be thinking to capture and use me instead of executing me right there and then. I'm sure that they'd do the same to my 5,000 untrained but loyal soldiers. With the unlimited supply of food, I could take forever to figure out a cheap way of defeating the enemy while at the very same time, escape the death sentence by my own King. Sooner or later, I'd figure out a way to capture the fortress, and by technicality, it would be considered as a victory. Hence, there would be no reason whatsoever for my King to execute me. For I, won the battle ... it's just that it probably took longer than the 15 days he liked to have as if I'm David Blaine ... a lot longer that is.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Angelus Silverberg

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well what kind of environment is this? If it was a forest it would be much easier. Is the fortress on the side of a mountain or in an open field? I need to know these things.

Living and dying, laughing and crying.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lure the enemy out by retreating to a location that's more favorable, making myself look weak and disorganized- a nice prize. Then burn them or ambush them. And try to attack those nice unlimited supplies.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angelus Silverberg

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would spread out, especially if it was a forest. And use Guerilla tactics. To attack us, they're bigger, more vulnerable, and we can see them easier. We're smaller, can spread out more. Oh and what does their armor/uniforms look like?

Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

-- editing as i didn't read this properly. ---

Assaulting a castle with 5000 troops... As they are all highly concentrated, any magic rune you can use will be very effective. Perhaps a fire / rage rune as the primary assault.

If even 10 of your 5000 soldiers are mages, equip them with fire runes and station 500 soldiers around each one. Cast your biggest fire magic on the castle from every direction.

Earth rune with 'Earthquake' would also be effective I guess. Poisoning the water supply and other guerilla tactics will be effective here, but obviously you don't want them to know you're there, because if they do they will march 50 000 troops out the gate and cut you down.

Last edited by Falcon Critical on Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey SARSadmin I like the strategy you posted, its. nice and easy. I on the other hand am a more diabolical fighter which is to say I don't fight very fair. The first thing my army would do is to launch volley after volley of burning naphtha od some sort over the wall. Next would be volleys of dead rotting animals just for the awful odor they produce. After that it would be breakable containers full of poisoned water just to make them very careful of what they ate.

After a couple of days of this I would lay in with some nice sized boulders to lay waste to the walls and buildings inside. During the endless volleys being launched I would surround the fortress with my archers to pick anyone on the walls off or just to keep them from looking below. Than I would barricade any exits from said fortress making it virtually impossible to get out. Than I would set it the fortress to fire having my numerous archers kill any who try to get out.

As the fires are being set to the fortress I would also launch vats of hot tar for the fire to stick to and spread even farther. The only way to stop my endless stream of bombardment would be for the absolute surrender of the fort.

Mercy is for the weak.

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If your lilege sent you on a mission like this it's proably because he wants you dead for some reason. Even if the opposing army was commanded by a cat you would still lose. You have 5000 untrained soldiers with little supplies and you're trying to take a forttress with an army of 300,000 soldiers the difference in numbers alone would be enough to ensure your defeat but you're also trying to take a fortress which would be difficult if the numbers were even it's just not possible to think up any strategy where you come out the winner.
Angelus Silverberg

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im rebellious. I would probably take the men, raise their morale, and attack my siege. He wouldnt expec that. Counter his plan to get me killed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: