Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies


  [ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Sims is smut as well, according to this guy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blade




Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Post Count: 155

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: The Sims is smut as well, according to this guy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
[UPDATE] Miami attorney Jack Thompson claims cheat codes make EA's life sim a pedophile's paradise by showing genitalia; calls for ban on T-rated game.

How do you like your hot coffee? If you're Jack Thompson, you like it scalding game publisher's laps. The Miami attorney and antigaming activist has done his share to see that games don't fall into the wrong hands. And lately, those hands have belonged to almost everyone.

Thompson was among those who spearheaded the recent effort to slap an "Adults Only" rating on Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and he's often been on the forefront of many other gaming issues, several of which have targeted the crime-spree-based GTA franchise. In the past, he's represented defendants who have been the victims of GTA-inspired crimes, including the triple homicide of three police officers by an 18-year-old boy in Alabama.

His beef with San Andreas? Unused code in the game that depicts sexual acts. These minigames can be unlocked by using game-cheat devices or patches available on the Internet.

Thompson is on a roll...and he's not done yet. His latest goat is a game that doesn't involve guns, carjacking, or prostitutes: He's going after Electronic Arts' The Sims 2.

In a manifesto sent today to press outlets, Thompson focuses on dismantling the Entertainment Software Ratings Board and exposing what he calls the industry's "latest dirty little secret." The secret's out now, and it involves nude sims.

In the statement, Thompson says, "Sims 2, the latest version of the Sims video game franchise ... contains, according to video game news sites, full frontal nudity, including nipples, penises, labia, and pubic hair."

The Sims 2 is a "life simulator." In the game, players steer their digital beings around their cyberlives. Actions include everything from the spectacular (getting married, having children, receiving promotions at work) to the mundane (cooking microwaved meals, going to the bathroom, mopping the floor). Such activities, as in real life, sometimes require nudity. EA circumvents inappropriateness by "blurring" out the nether regions, almost to a comical sense.

Knowing that the game is popular among all ages, EA has even taken steps to ensure that Sims fans aren't exposed to indecent depictions. In the recent expansion pack, The Sims 2 University, gamers can send their teenage sims off to college. However, instead of packing the expansion with "keggers" and "reefer," EA chose to use juice and bubble blowers.

Thompson doesn't seem to care. He cites a cheat code that can remove the blur that covers the nether regions. "The nudity placed there by the publisher/maker, Electronic Arts, is accessed by the use of a simple code that removes what is called 'the blur' which obscures the genital areas. In other words, the game was released to the public by the manufacturer knowing that the full frontal nudity was resident on the game and would be accessed by use of a simple code widely provided on the Internet."

It's not just the adults that are liberated from their wardrobes. Sims kids can also be nudified, "much to the delight, one can be sure, of pedophiles around the globe who can rehearse, in virtual reality, for their abuse."

Were this to be true, Thompson would have his smoking gun, and EA would be forced to recall all copies of The Sims 2. However, it's what's under the blur that Thompson's after. And what happens when the blur is lifted? A simple mannequin-esque smooth body, according to EA.

Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications at EA, in response to the accusations, told GameSpot, "This is nonsense. We've reviewed 100 percent of the content. There is no content inappropriate for a teen audience. Players never see a nude sim. If someone with an extreme amount of expertise and time were to remove the pixels, they would see that the sims have no genitals. They appear like Ken and Barbie."

Thompson doesn't buy it. "The sex and the nudity are in the game. That's the point. The blur is an admission that even the 'Ken and Barbie' features should not be displayed. The blur can be disarmed. This is no different than what is in San Andreas, although worse."

[UPDATE] Thompson this afternoon updated his earlier statement, saying he is aware certain mods only remove "the blur," but adds that "Electronic Arts has done nothing about this." Thompson's new conclusion: EA is "cooperating, gleefully, with the mod community to turn Sims 2 into a porn offering."

The last time we checked, The Sims 2 was rated T for Teen by the ESRB, which means that anyone 13 years of age, with $50 to spend, can purchase the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/0...ws_6129609.html






I also found this http://keepyourkillingclean.blogspot.com/2005/02/jack-thompson-is-douch e-bag.html


Clikc it, its funny.


Edit: I also happened to snag the guys E-mail if any gamers want to try to convince him of his folly. jackpeace@comcast.net
_________________
The Candadian Destroyer




UberYuber wrote:
Maybe if I keep saying stupid stuff I'll eventually get quoted in a sig!


There ya go UberYuber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!


Joined: 22 May 2004
Post Count: 3427
Location: Plaats
174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uh the orginal sim had a cheat t remove the pixalated censorship. and what about people who let their kids run around naked...they should be thrown in jail it just make the pedo's hot...causing problems.

can the sims in Sims 2 do stuff? yeah they can right? like the heart-bed in the orginal.
_________________
few runes short of a set of 27

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen


Joined: 18 May 2004
Post Count: 2328
Location: Chefurbo Kaimuttal
237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is idiocy. This is like saying something like "COPS" should be off the air because you can hunt down the original film and view it before it was censored.
_________________


Fear our Vagueness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KFCrispy




Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Post Count: 95

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
This is idiocy. This is like saying something like "COPS" should be off the air because you can hunt down the original film and view it before it was censored.

i disagree. a film, once produced with the censors and other speciall effects, does not contain the original footage so consumers do not have access to the original footage.

game designers can easily have simply made the original "nude" polygons to be censored or anatomically incorrect (like a Barbie and Ken doll); it makes no sense whatsoever to make nude models that have parts and then just put a cover graphic on top. if your coding has flaws, there can easily be parts where those body parts are exposed.

i find it absurd that programmers find it necessary to make anatomically correct models, and if they really have a need to make those types of models, they can release 2 versions: adult-oriented and standard, standard would have the model without.. extra parts.
_________________
try the new KFCrispy Duck at participating KFCrispy Restaurants!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order


Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Post Count: 2030
Location: Montmittel
35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats the thing though KFCrispy, Sims 2 does not have any of these extra parts. It's just this complete idiots obsession, with essentially trying to make games into these stupid little games with no meaning, and no value. I can only imagine how crappy these games would be if this guy got his way with every single game out there. More than enough reason to never buy a video game ever again, for more than a few people possibly killing the industry completely because teens are the main market. Frankly if it was my opinion, I would take this guy out and beat some sense into him, if with all of the problems out there in the world he is focusing on games. Talk about a guy who has his priorities mixed up im telling you.

The Sims is a good clean game, and always has been. Sure there are hacks out there that are fan made which can change the game mechanics. Adding genitalia, and so on but why should the company have to go, and change their games rating for something the fans put in themselves? Thats the idea behind making hacks for something, to add something into the game that wasnt originally there in the first place.

Thats the difference between Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and The Sims 2. The code that has been mentioned to be in GTA was added in there already, while anything this guy would be trying to talk about would be added in by, or changed by fans, and not the programmers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade


Joined: 13 May 2004
Post Count: 4744
Location: Reina Mia
498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What cracks me up is that if you do take off the censor in the Sims 2 (which you have to look up a code for on the internet for Sims 2 - it's not listed in the cheat's help file, if I recall correctly. To access it, hit ctrl+alt+c , then type help, I believe. I don't have the disc on me at the moment so I cannot be certain; will check later, maybe.), you're going to get...images of your sims sitting on the toilet fully clothed. And a very brief scene of nudity in the shower, where your sim looks like....a ken or barbie doll exposed. It's the equivalent of a fleshcolored stocking. There is no genetalia present. Whatever gaming site said that never bothered to type in the cheat and see for themselves. (so...the gaming sites in his head?)

And yes, while you can download skins that do have genetalia and the like, those hacks aren't made by E.A., who can't - and shouldn't - be held accountable fo rthe hacks in their games that don't utilize, oh, their own code. They can't control everything fans of their games put on the internet.

And you know what? Even if someone does get a hold of those skins, they're going to see them, what, all of 5 seconds? I suppose you could get a "Nudist hack" and then you'd get...well, naked sims going around reading the newspaper, eating, and humming. OMG WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?!?!? HOW DARE THEY EXPOSE MY CHILDREN TO NAKED PEOPLE EATING SPAGHETTI!!!!!

And the sex (Woohoo!) is very comical in nature and I think possibly even less risque than the original love bed was in the first sims. (And while you can have extramarital woohoo, it's worth pointing out you have to have a very high lifetime score with another sim to woo hoo! in the first place - 75 or over, if I recall correctly. It's just 2 people ....diving under the covers and giggling. Making out in the hot tub is more explicit than that, for crying out loud.

Is anyone surprised that he went after this, instead of ...oooh, say, the fact that Sims 2 Sims can not only be gay and straight and bisexual, but it also allows joined unions? The original sims, I'm pretty sure, was even "worse"; I'm pretty sure it allowed you to have gay weddings. It seems to me like a "values driven" conservative would be on that like a pig on slop. (But of course, you'd have to play the game to find out.) Or the fact you can *gasp* play a criminal career track. But something tells me violence is fine, so long as you don't get a french kiss afterwards with this guy. 0.o

Quote:

[UPDATE] Thompson this afternoon updated his earlier statement, saying he is aware certain mods only remove "the blur," but adds that "Electronic Arts has done nothing about this." Thompson's new conclusion: EA is "cooperating, gleefully, with the mod community to turn Sims 2 into a porn offering."


Why should EA be responcible for hacker's/modder's content? If they do overwrite the global files needed for the censor-free codes to work (which, IIRC, they do do occasionally - I know every single time a new expansion pack comes out, one of the first topics seen in any sims forum is "where can I find a working censor patch?" It's been diminished somewhat by the in-game code to banish the censor, but there's still a big market for a censor patch since you have to reenter the code every time, I think.), all that will happen is that the modder community (which is MASSIVE - check out Mod the Sims2 sometime and just...well...let's say if there's enough want of any sort of hack, then someone there will find time to do it.) will do is update the patch to get around it. You cannot stop the community from hacking into the game, really, especially not one with as massive a modder community as the Sims has.

Furthermore, I think he misses the point of the blurring - it's funny. It's like when they show someone on say, Saturday Night Live nude and pixalated. In reality, the actor is probably wearing a nude bodystocking. Could they air the nude bodystocking on TV? Sure. But is it funnier with the blur? You bet. It's just a little funny quirk of the games, like the fact they speak Simlish or their programs on TV.

And on a side comment, you would have to have pretty hardcore mod skills to modify the game into a pornapalooza, and anyone into that is probably just going to get Singles: Flirt Up Your Life or that Playboy game instead of the Sims. (Which is, ah, shall we say, a bit more on the explicit side of things.) It would be a lot of mod work for relatively little reward; you'd have to rewrite quite a bit of code to turn it into a playboy mansion style game, I would think.
_________________

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Post Count: 436
Location: Retto
7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thus my reasons for hating most americans who think they're being rightous.

The ESRB is there for a reason, what these idiots should be doing is watching parents who buy these games for their kids.

GTA is rated M, no kid can buy that. Nor should any kid play it. It's NOT FOR KIDS. But, they are playing it, since their parents, who are supposed to be mature buy it for them to shut them up. Thy don't care what their kid's playing so long as they aren't bothering them.

THAT'S the moral decline in america. Parents who don't parent their kids!!
_________________


I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade


Joined: 13 May 2004
Post Count: 4744
Location: Reina Mia
498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not just Americans, though. *bugged by that statement* There's negligent parents all over the world, unfortunately.

I think that parents who buy their kids M rated games before they're of an age able to handle it are....well, exactly like the person who rents a Freddy Krueger movie for their 5 year old.

However, the Sims games are all rated Teen.
_________________

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order


Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Post Count: 2030
Location: Montmittel
35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only reason why people think that the United States is so corrupt with their moral values, parenting and the like is because it becomes publicized more often. Are you kidding with every stupid decision, and backwards thinking parent in the United States when something happens it gets blown onto television world wide. Are there far bigger, far worse cases outside of the United States? Well of course there are, but there are also just as many within the United States as well. It is merely a problem of the media that anyone thinks that way about all of the United States.

Sim games are all rated teen, as well they should be because within the games a person can create situations of a nature better handled by teens, and adults. Some of the things that go on within the games might be taken too far by someone of a younger age so I agree to that extent. However, there are times where I think even making it a Teen rating is going a tad bit far, so long as the parents are there to watch the reactions of users.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blade




Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Post Count: 155

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sent Mr. Thompson an e-mail today, I hope to have a response


Hello Sir,





My name is Erik Vandermark, I am an Airman First Class in the United Stated Air Force, and I have been reading some of your views on the gaming industry, and there are some things I don't understand. Who, exactly are you trying to keep these games away from, the ESRB says a game like GTA: San Andreas is only for people 17 and up to buy, Rockstar games puts that directly on the packaging complying with all gaming laws. Shouldn't your "crusade" be more against the stores that are illegally selling these games to children, or the parents who give in to the gimme gimme mentality of their underage children than to the gaming industry who is doing everything in their power to keep these games out of childrens hands. Maybe your problem should be instead with the society that makes sex and violence the biggest selling points in anything whether it be music, movies, or video games, its not the gaming industry's fault that these things sell, once they stop becoming the main selling points in society, they will stop appearing in video games.





I also believe you seem to be forgetting the millions of people who play violent games like GTA and Halo (myself included) who don't go around and kill people and blame their own personal decisions on something else when in fact, its just that there are bad people in this world. The majority of people play these games as a way to release the anger inside them in a virtual world rather than using it in the real world.





I hope you take my words to heart, and I hope to hear a reply from you sir.





Airman First Class Erik Vandermark

Radio and Television Broadcaster

AFN Aviano



Edit:

I got a resppnse from him

They're aggressively marketed and sold to kids. You've apparently missed about six years of news stories since Columbine. Get back to doing your job, will you, and leave the law to the rest of us. thanks



I decided to respond to Mr. Thompson tho:

Some games I will say are marketed to kids, but those games are rated mostly E. The T and M games are only marketed to the age groups that why you never saw a Halo or GTA ad on Nickelodeon or even Cartoon Network. I hate when people keep brining up Columbine, geez, how many people and groups are you going to blame Columbine on, let me make this straight for you sir, Columbine didn't happen because Marilyn Manson released angry music or John Carmack released Doom, Columbine happened b/c two boys were pushed and pushed and pushed to the point where they felt that what they did was the only way out, now instead of trying to put the gaming industry out of business, maybe we would get better results trying to figure out why these people got pushed this far and why no one tried to step in and help them.



What exactly do you have against video games? And after Video games, what are you going to blame next, Marvel Comics? The WWE? Muhamed Hassan? Sony Music? How many things will you blame until you realize that the way to stop all of this is to change who we are as a society? Its not some magic thing like your bizarre personal Vendetta against Video Games, its changing the way all of society looks at things.
_________________
The Candadian Destroyer




UberYuber wrote:
Maybe if I keep saying stupid stuff I'll eventually get quoted in a sig!


There ya go UberYuber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade


Joined: 13 May 2004
Post Count: 4744
Location: Reina Mia
498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) The fact you recieved a responce is amazing, but the fact that he blew off an airman FIRST CLASS and insulted an army man is ....pretty much enough that if he were running for office, he would get so very, very SOL. Go back to your job? Jeeeeebus. What a nasty man. Completely disrespectful.

2) I don't see how San Andreas is sold to children....?

3) I am totally sending him a letter about the Sims 2 now.
_________________

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Raze

Shinigami


Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Post Count: 418
Location: Warrior's Village - Lorimar Region
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the man is a complete D(rhymes with 'goosh')-bag. He's also sent back letters that are letters from him to Lieberman and Clinton, claiming that gamers are trying to take his life! If someone really wanted to kill him, they'd have done it a long time ago.

He will not answer anyone's questions, as he can't talk without committing multiple fallacies and breaks in logic. He loves to use half-truths and Ad homminem fallacies. (attacking the speaker, not his issues.) And, as a lawer, he has the most twisted sense of logic I have ever seen in any individual. And I thought Lieberman was bad...¬.¬ Lieberman's soft compared to this whack-job.

You may not want to reveal that you're a gamer in your letter, because chances are, he'll completely disregard you and throw nasty attacks at you....the DB.

[EDIT:] found this and thought it was hillarious. enjoy.


Quote:
I wrote:

I found a link to your site, www.stopkill.com, through an online forum. I looked over it, and although I think that there is some genuine concern over the effect of violent media on kids, many of your statements on that site were made in ignorance. What I plan to do in this email is to help you gain a better understanding of video games, and to show you that while your intentions are good, your current course of action is a mistake. I'm going to present my arguments calmly and logically, and you're welcome to write a rebuttal if you wish. First off, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 14, and I've been playing video games avidly since I was 8. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the subject of video games as a whole, and I've played my fair share of Halo 2 and other shooters, including the Ghost Recon series, which is regarded as one of the most realistic FPSs (first-person shooters, in case you aren't familiar with the terminology). I also enjoy strategy games, in which the death toll is often far higher than what you'd encounter in a FPS. I'm an archer, a martial artist (Tae Kwon Do), and I was taught how to operate a gun by my grandfather, who's an experienced hunter. And, oddly enough, I've never felt the urge to kill, or even seriously injure, anyone. I imagine that killing in self-defence would be extremely difficult for me, despite my alleged desensitization. Now I'd like to dismiss a misonception (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and not assuming that you're twisting the truth) you have about games like Halo, which are called FPSs. These are not "sniper games." They are games presented in first person, in which you shoot enemies, manage ammunition, and explore levels. You may fail to see the distinction between "sniper" and "first person" based on that description alone, but if you ever take the time to play any of these games, you'll understand that there is no comparison between playing a FPS and operating a rifle. Which brings me to my next point- games can't accurately "train" you to commit violent acts, despite your claims. First off, games are innacurate by their very nature, and they give you less practical knowledge on operating firearms than watching a few hours of History Channel would. Secondly, I'm going to walk you through a typical scenario of me playing Halo 2, which is probably the best FPS available right now:(1) I rotate the right control stick slightly, then hold down the right trigger. There is no violent intent towards my enemy, wether it's an AI-controlled bot or a human opponent I'm facing online- it's a simple challenge in the case of the former and a friendly competition in the case of the latter.(2) On screen, a series of polygons which emulate bullet trails appear. Those polygons collide with the polygons rendered to represent my enemy, and those same polygons then emulate my opponent dying.The important distinction here is that there is no gun, no bullets, and no enemy. There is a rotation of the control stick and a pull of the controller's trigger, resulting in a change of the onscreen display. Anyone who can't see the difference between this and the act of firing a gun at a human being is clearly unfit to be playing these games and, frankly, is an idiot. Which, once again, leads me to the next point I'm going to make. No one in their right mind would ever do the things that you blame on video games. A quick glance at such actions shows that there are far bigger, far more serious causes than violent media behind them. Now, you may wonder, "Why would someone kill a person in a video game if they think it's wrong to do in real life?" Well, the truth is, no one gets hurt when you kill a video game character. There are corporeal consequences to commiting acts of violence on real living things, but the difference is that real living things are just that, real. Well, that's my case against your Anti-Violent Games crusade. I support efforts to get parents more informed about the type of games their kids are playing, but it doesn't take some kind of genius to look at the back of the box of the game your kid wants to buy. If that doesn't tell you enough, there are many popular, respected websites that can give parents reliable information on the content of games. There is no evil conspiracy to turn America's youth into killers going on here- developers are people too. It should be noted that any federal interference with the video game industry would go down in my book as a violation of freedom of speech, which is something I dissaprove of under all circumstances. PS: On the topic of the 'Hot Coffee' mod for GTA: San Andreas, I get the feeling that you don't know what a mod is. Mods are code written by third parties, which adds to or modifies the game code, thereby adding or changing gameplay features. Also, you should keep in mind that this game is rated Mature(17+), and it's clearly displayed on the box that GTA contains sexual content, so any parent who walks in on their kid playing Hot Coffee shouldn't be at all shocked, in my humble opinion.

Jack Thompson wrote:

Of course they can train you to kill. The games suppress the inhibition to kill, which is why the military uses them for that purpose. Thanks for writing.

I wrote:

That's a half-truth. The games used by the military are not the same as the games available to the public, and they're far more akin to simulators than to entertainment systems. There is only one game that I know of which was used by the military and is now available to the public, Full Spectrum Warrior, and the civilian version was modified for faster gameplay and improved graphics. Things such as making the grenades go off quicker, for example, to give it more pick-up-and-play, entertainment value. Even then, anyone can tell you that killing in a game is not at all comparable to killing in reality, because killing in a game is, in fact, not actually killing.Flight simulators aren't used to suppress the inhibition to fly, they're used to give the pilot-in-training technical skills needed to operate a plane. The military uses video games in the same way.

Jack Thompson wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/15/news_6129301.html

I wrote:

Well, I'll admit defeat on Hot Coffee issue, but my point about violence still stands. I'd hardly call that article an effective rebuttal to my statements. And just for the sake of debate, let's hypothetically say your theory is true, and violent games do indeed reduce the inhibition to kill. Does that neccessarily mean that a gamer would have any more desire to kill? It would simply remove a roadblock for someone who already has violent urges and tendencies, caused by other, more serious factors, would it not? A rational, peaceable person who's inhibition to kill was reduced still would lack the violent urge to even contemplate murder.

Jack Thompson wrote:

In the UK an M game can't be sold to a minor, which is the only restriction I seek here. Smarten up. Your ignorance is showing.

I wrote:

Oh, really? Seems to me that you're attempting to draw negative attention to a major game company, spread false information that suggests that violent media creates killers, and continually changing the subject during this discussion. I'd like to bring your attention to the replies you allegedly sent to a few other gamers who have emailed you:
"I am not interested in 'gamer's thoughts,' as that constitutes the latest oxymoron." "Screw off" These are people who I have never known to lie, especially on matters of politics. Perhaps you're being so curteous to me because you don't want Mommy and Daddy upset? Don't worry about that, Mr. Thompson, because I like to fight my own battles. You're spreading ignorance, taking advantage of others' misfortunes, attempting to destroy a well-established industry, and using technicalities to evade my arguments, which you seem to be incapable of refuting. Your two-faced, ambulance-chasing nature is showing. If you want to convince me otherwise, respond to my arguments instead of changing the subject. I'm not as naive as you think.

Jack Thompson wrote:

check into the nearest mental health facility

I wrote:

Mental institution? Whatever for? Did I hit a soft spot with that last email? That reply had a clear tone of finality to it, but you haven't gotten rid of me yet. Personally, I enjoy verbally destroying your "beliefs" and watching your petty attempts to shut out the truth. So, tell me... what exactly are your motives for professing these beliefs that you make no effort to defend? Really, I'm curious. I've never understood how people like you find it so easy, so satisfying, to uphold beliefs that aren't your own. That clearly aren't your own. If you want to insult me, find something witty next time. Being called insane isn't very deragatory, nor is it very clever. PS: I was going to include a joke pertaining to me allegedly having no inhibition to kill, but as you are a lawyer I opted against anything that could be considered a threat in even the most liberal terms.

Jack Thompson wrote:

Not interested.

I wrote:

Well, I've had fun antagonizing you. Also, I think I should tell you that I've posted this entire conversation on a public forum. You're unlikely to garner any support from my little corner of the web.

Jack Thompson wrote:

Post that, junior.

I wrote:

With pleasure. I know some people who'd get a real kick out of it.

Jack Thompson wrote:

I bet you do. While you gamers are all autostimulating yourselves with hopefulness that all of this is going nowhere, I'm in the current Reader's Digest and working with US Senators. You all ought to be concerned.

I wrote:

Reader's Digest? How ironic that they once had an article poking fun at frivolous lawyers. Funny ol' world, ain't it? Well, you never know what crazy things politicians will do, but if people critically examine your viewpoints as I have, then I doubt that you'll get far. A great deal of disdain towards you is growing in the gaming community, and there are a LOT of voting-age gamers in this country. Who are some of the senators you're currently talking to? I think I'd like to contact them as well.

I haven't gotten a reply to that last one yet :wink:Sorry to make you guys read that huge block of type, but if you hate Jack Thompson, it'll be worth the effort. If you know other people who are against him, or people who support him, link them to this site. JACK THOMPSON WAS PWNED BY A 14-YEAR-OLD.


haha, hillarious. Mind you, this isn't me, but I'd have done the same thing, and perhaps printed the conversations out, framed them, and hung up on my wall. :3
_________________

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order


Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Post Count: 2030
Location: Montmittel
35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would send this complete moron an e-mail, but frankly that would be condoning his moronic opinion with a response to it. I could go about, outright lying mind you giving myself some sort of job with prestige which I dont have to catch his attention. Then i would berate him on his sheer, idiocy on turning away from the real cause of societies problems, and not the video games people play. However I wouldnt do that, because essentially that would be giving this guy some reason to spout off more of his complete bull. So im not going to bother, however if anyone throws some Sims 2 at him and get a response i'd like to see that for sure.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blade




Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Post Count: 155

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He was mean to me.... :x :x :x :x :x



Put I got people from other forums e-mailing him non-stop now for disrespecting a member of the Armed Forces.
_________________
The Candadian Destroyer




UberYuber wrote:
Maybe if I keep saying stupid stuff I'll eventually get quoted in a sig!


There ya go UberYuber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KFCrispy




Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Post Count: 95

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
It's not just Americans, though. *bugged by that statement* There's negligent parents all over the world, unfortunately.

I think that parents who buy their kids M rated games before they're of an age able to handle it are....well, exactly like the person who rents a Freddy Krueger movie for their 5 year old.

However, the Sims games are all rated Teen.

except... only in america can you sue for literally ANYTHING!!! i spilled hot coffee that i ordered on myself, NOW PAY ME! i ate your food and i got super fat NOW PAY ME!!!!!
_________________
try the new KFCrispy Duck at participating KFCrispy Restaurants!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
suikox.com by: Vextor


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
  Username:    Password:      Remember me