Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How come many RPGs are underrated?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilly Pendragon

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: How come many RPGs are underrated? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How come a lot of rpg games get underrated. Suikoden, Xenogears, Breath of fire, Grandia, Star Ocean and others don't shine in the spotlight. How come know one really play rpg games. Is it because they don't want to think. I live in Ga, no one know any rpg games except Final fanasty or Kingdom hearts. All they like is sports, driving, and action. I bet if more people play these kinds of game , they would like it.

[Edit: Changed unclear title]
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe they get under rated for a reason? Maybe because Squaresoft had an absolute hit with Final Fantasy 3 that warranted such attention for their next dozen games or so? Many other games didn't have that one break out game, therefore, SE is dominating. It's natural for one thing to take the focus off another thing. That's competition. And many would argue that Suikoden, Xeno and BoF aren't as great as Final Fantasy. I wouldn't say that they're all under rated (especially Xenogears, come on this is Xeno freaking Gears we're talking about) they're just not as well known.

I'm not sure why you think that no one plays rpg games...sorry to hear that no one is interested in them where you live (it always sucks to be isolated like that :\) but hey, there's always the internet where we can gush about our hawt hawt Suikoden obsession and whatnot.

I own 4 out of 5 of those games.
Genome Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I own all five of those games you mentioned. Great games. Not sure if people would play the kind of games we like they would like it too... A friend of mine online says he doesn't like turn-based combat, at all. Even if the game has an epic and super great storyline, he wouldn't care, he does not have the patience for turn-based combat. I really want to change his mind...because he is a story writer like I am. But it's no use.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moving thread to "Game & Anime Discussion" forum.

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Publicity.
Outside Japan, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and sport/racing games get a lot of publicity. Or at least more than the average game. That's why anyone who's barely into videogames knows Final Fantasy or Grand Turismo or whatever FIFA/NBA/Whatever game, whereas bloody magnificent games like Tales of Phantasia or even Suikoden pass mostly unnoticed to those who are not "in-the-know", so to speak.

All the way to the edge of this world
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you expect any other roleplaying games to do as well as the "mainstream" Final Fantasy series in terms of popularity, then you would be disappointed. That series are usually considered 'in' alongside other popular titles like fighting, sports or first-person shooter. It's marketing on the publisher's side, and it's image on the consumer's side.

Like you, I don't exactly know that many people who play Suikoden, let alone other series besides Final Fantasy. There are, of course, some who enjoy RPGs, but it's not something to talk about. Sports or fighting are better because they are meant for get-together activities, so naturally they are more fitting for mixed company.

Almost all roleplaying titles are 1-player, and that doesn't really help. I'm surprised that Final Fantasy got much popularity in the first place. Whichever title that did the deed must have made quite an impression. Among those who are closest to me alone, they are pretty much varied between VI, VII and VIII. So I suppose that ultimately it was not a single title that made it so popular, it was definitely the company's ability to keep producing good titles one after another. Honestly you cannot really say the same for most other series.

In Suikoden alone, while the move from the original to II was widely acceptable as an overall improvement (debatable, but I digress), nothing of the same could be said about the transition from II to III, or even the more recent III to IV. And, considering how most complaints come from longstanding fans, I am not surprised. But, hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions and they definitely should give a fair review to prospect fnewcomers, correct?

Marketing is another subtle thing. There are a lot of who claim that newer RPGs should strive "for story, not graphics". Forgive me, but that won't do good to any games at all, regardless of genre. Positive progress should be applied to everything, so that all party can be happy with the upcoming title. That is why you don't see flat and monotonous text-adventure with deep symbolical references to religion doing that well anywhere. You will also not find many games with only eyecandy and no substance doing well, at all.

Well, ultimately being in the "spotlight" implies sheer popularity more than anything. If a series can provide the things that the crowd consider value-adding to their image (or whatever), I'm sure they'd sell better. As a rule of thumb, an excellent product shall never be succesful unless they actually meet the consumers' needs AND sufficient information are provided to catch their attentions.

Fans' word of mouth helps a bit too, but I always find it risky when it comes to hyping games that might not appear appealing to others. Especially when I overhyped a title and led them to unrealistic expectations.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's a matter of gameplay more than anything. It's wonderful to get a title like Suikoden II with a fantastic storyline and rich characters. But there are all sorts of games that offer this element, but also have an advantage by providing superior graphics and gameplay. Let's all face it, Suikoden III wasn't really a looker, especially compared to other games coming out around the same time, like Kingdom Hearts. It doesn't help that the "gameplay" is turn based and exploration based. Suikoden II can be played with one hand, for crying out loud. It isn't exactly very engaging, and for that matter it'll be this unengaging for 40+ hours. North American audiences especially, particularly casual gamers, prefer something a little more "high impact". Something that plays more on reflexes and action, and god willing, the ability to lift your opponent over your head and tear him in half in real-time.

What's more is that the quality of RPGs, especially the more popular mainstream sequels, appears to be steadily decreasing. I mean, it might just be that my interest in RPGs is waning (although the two phonomena may also be related), but fewer and fewer RPG releases seem to be of any significant quality.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say that Metal Gear Solid is better than the recent Suikoden expeditions, God of War is better than the last five Final Fantasys (or the next one), Kingdom Hearts is dominating Wild Arms...

I look at my games collection now. Packed with RPGS and Strategy titles from when I was so hardcore about them in grade 8 and 9. I want to just sit down and chill with a good hack-n'-slash or shooter adventure. I've been renting the new Medal of Honor a lot, a good sensory overload shooting adventure. Great multiplayer too. God of War was a winner. Devil May Cry 3 was a wicked title too.

I'm holding my hopes high for Rhapsodia, but otherwise, the next purchases I make are gonna be Kingdom Hearts II and European Assault.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't stand real-time games. I can tolerate Kingdom Hearts' gameplay because the story is so great, but otherwise I pass them by. In Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, I spent more time running around in circles from enemies while I fumbled around with submenus looking for my potions. Where is my menu screen goddamit?!?!? I want to hit "start," go into a big option/status screen, and play with commands. Trying to focus on a room full of baddies while simultaneously flipping through badly-laid-out menus with my awful dexterity was not fun in the slightest. I also can't deal with first-person games since my depth perception is really bad and I jump off cliffs more than anything else.

Turn based, in my mind, is the way to be. Even in games where they gve you the option, I always set controls to "wait." I'm just bad at button-mashing, which is one of the reason's I don't play minigames like fishing. The cookoffs dealt with button mashing, but it wasn;t all that integral (you can get the preparation meter to full without going ape**it on the controller ... and a turbo controller will fix any problems you have).

To me, gameplay is a means to an end. It supports the story but it shouldn't needlessly try to reinvent the wheel. The Buddy System took too much control away from the player (Whaddaya mean I can't make a party of six mages and have them all cast magic? Why else would I use a mage?) and it made me bring along people I didn't want to just so I wouldn't have charcaters refusing to follow my commands (Estella, I'm looking at you). I can stand the Sphere Grid, but I want to take a shower whenever I think about Junctioning .... (shiver)

Unfortunately, opinions like mine will be the death of RPGs in the current market.

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wataru14 wrote:
I can't stand real-time games. I can tolerate Kingdom Hearts' gameplay because the story is so great, but otherwise I pass them by. In Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, I spent more time running around in circles from enemies while I fumbled around with submenus looking for my potions. Where is my menu screen goddamit?!?!? I want to hit "start," go into a big option/status screen, and play with commands. Trying to focus on a room full of baddies while simultaneously flipping through badly-laid-out menus with my awful dexterity was not fun in the slightest.

yes, that was a bog problem i had with Lament of Innocence. I died many times fumbling through that menu while fighting death. But playing as Joachim more than made up for the stupid menu thing. Until I found out that Joachim can't be healed, and never leveled up.

But it is a Castlevania game, so I shall obey.

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All genres have good yet underrated games, RPGs are no exception. Publicity determines initial sales, then quality coupled with how much the general public loves it determines continuity in sales. Halo for instance wasn't too terribly well-advertised in the beginning. But sales are still steady even two years after the release due to the popularity of the game. In the end, quality isn't as important as how appealing it is to younger people.

high lifters

100063 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because most people don't have the patience to play a rpg. I hear a lot of people who say 'I like rpg's, but it takes to damn long to finaly get some action'

And rpg's are also a very special genre, you are not in control of anything, only saying what someone should do. In shooters and driving games for example you choose where you shoot and drive. People like to be in control of everything.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, Lament of Innocence was a miss. But give me Symphony of the Night any day. It had your precious menu screen (even if you did have to use your items in real-time). In Medal of Honour: European Assault you can use healing medkits by simply pressing the "up" d-pad button, which I think is brilliant. God of War had a menu screen in which to use healing items. So yeah, I don't think it's fair to say that all real-time games (which is like, 70% of the gaming market o_O) are unplayable because Lament of Innocence was poorly designed. Not saying that's what you said, I'm just standing up for my homies the real-times.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well to be blunt... most people think that RPGs are games for the loners the introverts and the losers. I personally have lots of friends (none who like RPGs mind you) and go out and have fun all the time, I consider myself and extrovert but I dont fit in to the stereotypes.

People like games that they can play with friends... ex. sports games, shooters, racing games etc. RPGs are almost all single player games and dont facilitate team play. I also wish I had people to talk to in real life about RPGs, (I should find some, considering I live in New York City but eh.) but thats why I come to this message board. I can talk about whatever I want and not feel embaressed. Thats another things, some people might not admit they love RPGs just cause they are embaressed that people will call them losers.

Why Suikoden didnt get the fame of Final fantasy is all in the marketing. Suikoden never really had much of an advertising team while Square-Enix was always out there on the tvs in the papers everywhere promoting that their new game was coming out and it was even flashier then the previous, go out and bye me ra ra ra. Thats all for now.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This may be just cause I'm weird, but I personally like that RPGs are underrated. I like being different and I feel that if too many people liked RPGs that they would just become a genre that just comes and goes. I really hope that RPGs never become popular.

To tell you the truth, I'm one of those people who will do things differently and then flaunt it. Like, most people will blast rap while in their cars, but I will blast game music and techno. I feel like being different is a good thing and that we should embrace it rather than trying to make RPGs "mainstream."

It is truly unfortunate that some people only play popular games such as Final Fantasy. I say that if you like it, then you should explore it more, not just stick with what everyone thinks is "cool."

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt that it's an issue of wanting to be "cool" or not. Just many rpg players out there don't know what else to play. or some just enjoy the mainstream stuff and they have no time or patience for anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: