Suikoden United and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hardest minigame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilly Pendragon

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Hardest minigame Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's the hardest minigame in any rpg game. Like the rock paper scissors in Xenogears, or the rice planting in Legaia 2, or the card game in Final Fanasty 8 with the plus, random rule on.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try that drinking game in Chrono Trigger? That was some insane stuff... I don't know how you could actually finish all of those darn glasses. I did have a friend who claimed to have done it, but I really don't see how... It just seemed too impossible to mash the buttons fast enough to get Crono to down all of them.

Either way, it's just a real bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome waiting to happen, and hence isn't worth the time. :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I know about that. I could only drink 5. :( I'm not very good at that.

Umm, pretty much every mini-game in FFX-2 was awful.

FFIX's racing with Hippaul was bad.

There are a lot of bad ones out there, but I'll tell you that the button mashing ones are the worst.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've drank seven, never got eight. :roll: I do think that's the hardest.

First to come into my mind were in FFX: the butterfly game in Macalania for getting the Sigil for Kimhari's weapon was frickin' hard to get, but I was able to get it in the 286th time. The "dodge 200 lightning bolts" game in the Thunder Plains was pretty hard too, and while the chocobo racing in order to get the Sun Sigil in the Calm Lands was pretty hard, it was fun so it wasn't really as frustrating as the earlier two.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy X's minigames were unforgivable. The dodging of the lightning bolts wasn't so bad, but that infernal butterfly game really upset me. I hated the Chocobo Race even worse, because all it took was one stupid bird to mess up everything. I wouldn't have minded so much, but you need the minigames to get the best weapons (I know you can make better ones, but you save a lot of ingredients this way)

Maybe I was just lucky, but I beat that RPS game from Xenogears easily. Now that little dolphin with the card game was a lot harder. I hate playing speed, so much to my chagrin, I found out that Fei needed to beat this guy 5 times in a row. I can never beat him. Again, the main problem in this game is that the prize is so USEFUL. I'm of the opinion that you can't have a hard minigame if you make the prize one of the best items in the game. If you do, there had better be another way to obtain it. But no, that's the only way to get the Elly jr. Doll. I hear this buffs up Emeralda's magic by either +50% or -50%. She keeps gaining Ether Points every time she levels up, so that makes this accessory very useful.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas also has a side mission that was really difficult, but aside from 100% completion of the game, you didn't get much else. Some of us can probably remember that final trucking mission in the countryside. Basically, with cops and S.W.A.T trailing you, the point was to carry some weapons back to your base. Unfortunately, the slightest nudge makes you lose your cargo and thus fail the mission. This would result in you driving back all the way to the Trucking point and starting over. The drive itself is a massively long drive through the desert, over steep hills (losing your cargo accidentally), while law enforcement tries to ram you. It's one of the hardest missions in the game, and it made me hate everything alive. :D

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoa. I absolutely gave up on Kimahri and Lulu's ultimate weapons after painstakingly attempting to do those two horrendous "mini-games" for ever. I got Tidus' by half skill/half luck, so that wasn't so bad. I agree that these mini-games don't even deserve to be recognised as such. At least blitzball was great fun. Similarly, most mainstream mini-games in Final Fantasy are usually well done; highlights include VIII's Triple Triad and that other Tetra something card game from IX. These ones are more well-done than hard though.

Time-wasting lotteries in Suikoden III was godawful. Eliminating the need to wait for results in IV made the experience better, but the entire boring concept of lotteries simply turn me off. At least slot machines that they use in more modern-loooking titles can look fancy and colourful to not make you get bored so easily (but I still do). Relying on pure chance is hard enough, but it's lameness made it worse.

Fishing mini-games also appear in lots of games. Some were good as the rare items from them do not inhibit your full experience of the games, but most sure used this crappy excuse to make up for whatever shortcomings. Monotonous plus random is never fun. (I'd go into complaining about all those waiting spent in gathering Snowe's costumes in Suikoden IV, but I'll save it for another day).

Monster hunting for whatever reason can end up equally "hard". Unless it's a game based solely on these critters (or monsters, if you must), then there are another lame addition to make a game last longer. Of course, it doesn't stop me from filling up Gau's list in FFVI, or Legaia's list of Serus. They just take up so much time.

Speaking of games like Chrono Trigger little drinking game, button mashing mini-games destroys my controller. They're not exactly hard, I suppose, but it's hard enough for me to spend some real money for a replacement.

Those are probably "hard" mini-games because of their simplistic designs more than anything. I'm sure they are harder ones out there, but if they are well done, I can assure that I would not mind going back and play them until I get a respectable score, item, et cetera. Otherwise, even the ultimate reward of unlimited funding won't catch my interest. Never.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Final Fantasy X's minigames were unforgivable. The dodging of the lightning bolts wasn't so bad, but that infernal butterfly game really upset me.

That does seem to be the popular opinion, but I'm not so sure. I figured the butterfly game out in about 30 minutes. The lightning bolt dodging was the only thing I could not do. I couldn't do it. I blink a lot and because of it somewhere down the road, I'd miss. I just never got it.

As for the chocobo game, I have really weird experiences with it. In my second game (the first time I did the race), I got it with about an hour of work. In my third game, I managed to get it on my 7th try which is pretty darn lucky. In my most recent game, I got it in 2 hours and 15 minutes about. I have no idea why the game does what it does, but I think it's a great deal of luck.

I thought of another infernal mini game. You guys ever play Tales of Symphonia? Well, the worst game ever was on that on bridge in Tethe'alla. I forget the bridge's actual name. If you don't know the game I'm talking about, it's a Red Light Green Light game. It's evil. The other little kids keep bumping into Genis. It's so mean. I've never beat the hardest level. It's just too dang hard.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah. Blitzball was horrible. I didn't like it at all. But my stupid friend played Final Fantasy X just for blitzball. I think he has something like 144 hours on the game.

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was OBSESSED with Blitzball. I think it's one of the most brilliant mini-games ever. I still haven't learned all the skills for Tidus, Wakka and Brother, but I plan to right now. Damn, thanks for rekindling my love for Blitzball. Playing now...

Auroch's Spirit and the Jecht Shot 2 majorly own!!!
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I messed up in Blitzball. I too was extremely obsessed with that game, so I played it early on religiously. It got to the point where I was at level 76 by the time I eventually reached Zanarkand. I had gotten everything I needed to get and all the players I wanted. But then I found out that Wakka could be recruited. I didn't even consider being able to recruit him since the guy said he was retiring. Anyway, he was still in level 5 or so compared to the competition. I wasn't worried because I secretly hoped some team would sign him and bring him up to level 70 or so and teach him skills on their own. But of course, he's part of the party so no one will ever sign him.

I stopped playing Blitzball after the entire team hit level 80. Since leveling up the goalie is hard, I let Nimrook stay with the Luca Goers (His team in my game). But because of my playing early on, I've never seen Auroch's Spirit. What does he do anyway? Is it like the Aurochs' Reels where he spikes the ball?

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Level 80? :shock: Gosh, even I didn't get that high!!! *checks file* The highest level in my game is Tidus, at 53. Now you're giving me more reason to play it again.

Ced The Lad wrote:
I've never seen Auroch's Spirit. What does he do anyway? Is it like the Aurochs' Reels where he spikes the ball?

Not really. The original member of the Aurochs (Datto, Letty, Jassu, Botta, and Keepa) will each get a close up and have their SHT stat added to Wakka's (the maximum is 99, I believe) and Wakka will throw the ball with immense power towards the goal.

I think the first Blitzball game was what turned a lot of people off from that mini-game, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy... beats that damned butterfly game at Macalania anyway. :x
gari

high lifters

100063 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FINAL FANTASY X MINIGAMES SUCKS! GODDAMN CHOCOBO"S AND BUTTEFFLIES!
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, the butterfly, lightning bolt and chocobo mini-games in FFX were pure evil for me. Of those three, I've never finished the chocobo one.

In Dark Cloud II, there's a mini-game called Spheda, which is just golf except the 'holes' are dimensional rifts and the 'balls' close these rifts if you get it in. Plus the ball changes color each time it bounces off something, and the color of the ball has to oppose the color of the rift or else it'll be repelled like a magnet. God, I hate that game... pure evil.

Of any mini-games or sidequests available, my favorites are secret dungeons and mini-games that require time for you to build up or perfect your reflexes. I despise chance games unless I find a pattern, like Basil's top game in Suikoden IV.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Lilly Pendragon

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try playing the FF8 card game with the random rule rule and the Plus rule with your rare cards
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Getting the Edea card in FFVIII was ridiculous! Not only did you have to wait for Edea to use her Edea card, but once she had it with her she was nigh impossible to beat. That made me more furious then any mini-game that's not GTA. I finally got rid of all my non-rare cards, then played her and after restarting my game only three times was able to get the Edea card. It was way too much work for just that card, made me furious. And I mean furious.

In this play through FFX, I got the Caladbolg's Sigil without much difficulty, somehow the chocobo racing Gods were nice to me. The butterfly catching game was the biggest waste of time in the game, being as I hardly even used Kimhari. That was hard though, it wasn't extremely redundant (redundant) like the Lightning Dodging mini-game. Plus, Lulu's weapon wasn't even that great. Yuna's was much better since she could do Holy, he weapon was the easiest to get, and she also had healing magic. I stopped needed Lulu quickly after that.

GTA:SA is the worst about impossible mini-games though. I swear the Zero missions were, in some way, invented by Lucifer himself. It's like Rockstar was sitting in their game design room and said, "Now, we need to put a ridiculous side-quest here that the gamer will hate. Then a guy says, "But no human can create a mini-game of the caliber you speak of!" Then the guy looks down and says, "Lucifer?" And, as Ced said (that's a nice rhyme, though you probably get that a lot) the trucking missions could make you want to die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: