Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Konami Crossovers in Suikoden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yumi

Mysics of the Forlorn

0 Potch
170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Konami Crossovers in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I'm sure most of you have experienced before, many gaming companies enjoy putting references and cameos from their other products in their games. And, of course, Konami is no slouch when it comes to this. Whether its putting a Simon Belmont robot in Contra Hard Corp, or having the Vic Viper be in Zone of the Enders, they are experts at crossovers. So far, Suikoden has been spared from this. So, my question to you is, what would you think if Konami began to put Easter Eggs referencing their other games in Suikoden? Would you think it was a clever joke, or would you become bitterly angry? Or, perhaps you just wouldn't care?

My opinion, personally, is that if Konami ever decides to do something like this, it should be kept to a minimum. Having a item or weapon or something referencing another game would be alright, I think, as it really would not effect much. For example, if there's a character who weilds a whip, and they name one of its forms "Vampire Killer", I would probably get a kick out of that. However, I feel that they should not put in anything major, that could actually effect the game. I love Suikoden because of the rich history and story they put into creating the Suikoden world, and polluting that with references to other games would cheapen that, I think. That said, the day they decide to make Goemon one of the 108 Stars is the day I stop playing the series.

In any case, what do you think about this?
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the fact that it hasn't been done yet is an indication that it probably won't even happen. Unless you count Psycho Mantis in MGS mentioning it if you have a save on your memory card.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is possible that Konami does this in a form similar to Schtolheim Reinbach III...

Just a slight refrence... In unimportant parts like suggesting a name... Still, Suikoden is an RP different from most others. It would do it good to be kept special and one of a kind...
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt it that it would happen. The reason is simple, Suikoden world doesn't seem to be coherent with other game's world. So it wouldn't really make sense to give connections from on to another.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Masked Bishop

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KoRnholio wrote:
I think the fact that it hasn't been done yet is an indication that it probably won't even happen. Unless you count Psycho Mantis in MGS mentioning it if you have a save on your memory card.

Ah, I almost soiled myself when I heard him say "Oh, you like Suikooooooden, don't you?"!

As for the topic at hand, I doubt Konami would do that. Konami seems to take Suikoden pretty seriously, and I don't think they'd put something so... demeaning into the games, if that makes sense. And, as was aforementioned by someone, if they were to do something like that then I doubt it would be very major. For example, I don't think they'd put make Liquid Snake a boss or anything, but they may have a NPC say something about the demise of Liquid. I don't know, Suikoden just seems too mature for that kind of thing.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have thought if anything they'd have a vampire hunter with the last name of Belmont, instead of Marley. It also would have been cooler if Kahn had used a whip, as a castlevania tie-in.

The only other way I'd see any kind of easter egg would be in the names of individual characters' weapons.
Yumi

Mysics of the Forlorn

0 Potch
170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I doubt it that it would happen. The reason is simple, Suikoden world doesn't seem to be coherent with other game's world. So it wouldn't really make sense to give connections from on to another.

Its true that the Suikoden world doesn't seem coherent with other game worlds, but that has not really stopped them before. I mean, Castlevania and Contra are not very coherent with one another, and yet they have had crossovers there.

In addition, I don't think the fact that they haven't done it yet signifies that they never will, as KoRnholio suggested. After all, the first two Metal Gear games did not have any references to other titles in them, yet then they stuck some in the two Metal Gear Solid titles.

In any case, that's a little besides the point. My question is less of whether or not you think they ever will do it, but rather what would you think about it if they did.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a game by KCET called Azure Dreams that has a little "cameo" of both Suikoden and Vandal Hearts.

If I remember well, there's a library (or librarian? been too long since I played it) that mentions the war in the first Suikoden and also the war of Vandal Hearts 1, but very briefly.

Does that mean that Azure Dreams is in the same world as those two games? I think it was just a joke if you ask me. The game itself isn't very serious.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree the fact that it hasn't happened yet is indication that they are intent on keeping it a unique brand free from the crossovers that inflict other titles. That may change down the road but one can hope that it will not.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they won`t do too much of it, but I would likely miss it anyway, since I haven`t played too many other Konami games. But some small ones wouldn`t bother me, as long as it`s done in a funny and interesting way, rather than being blantant and stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: