Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Importance of Luck
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apathy

14000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think in suikoden luck helps your dodge rate, counter attack rate and your critical blow rate(i went through and read all 4 suikoden booklets to see what luck actually did). i never knew it helped with gambling and other random things until i read this thread.

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luck is easily the vaguest of all the stats. In some games, it affects crit/dodge rates, in others, it affects damn near everything else. In the Breath of Fire series, it affects a random occurance: Guts. If a character dies, there is a small chance that the character will actually come back to life with only 1 hit point.

so yeah, Luck=t3h vague. Shrew would be proud.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Kalasnikov

Perfect Harmony

5410 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luck...an important skill in every game...
My primary objective in every RPG is so train my characters in the early part of the game so if my luck is low I can beat the hell out of my enemies...
But even with a high level of luck, if you are weak...it doesn't matter...
You will die anyway...so my tip of the day is....train your characters to the maximum level you can get and your luck won't do any difference in the battle...
You will have your wisdom and skill to help you...good luck...
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not true... If you are statistically weak but have a high luck, and luck affects criticals, just imagine giving a nice critical every turn... That would still do tons of damage...

BTW I have finally found someone else using three dots at the end of every sentence like me! :mrgreen:
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This much I can tell you: Luck DOES affect critical chances.

When I was trying to make Viki my castle statue in Suikoden II, she did a lot of critical attacks. On one battle, she dealt critical hits on every single enemy, and she only has average skill, but insanely high luck.

I believe SKL is a bigger factor though, since Clive still deals more criticals despite that super low LUK he has. Then again, it's really hard to test those two because Clive has a pretty high SPD (that can interfere with the test because he might do multiple attacks) and Viki's SPD is as low as Clive's LUK.

When I get my Suikoden IV disc back from my friend, I'll try doing a test with Maxine and Chiepoo, who have the same sum of SKL and LUK and see who deals criticals more. I have a feeling it will be Maxine, as she has the higher skill, but I'll do it anyway to make sure.

Of course, that's not to say criticals is the only thing LUK can factor to. It can very well be a factor in parrying/counterattacking in Suikoden III (which I also think SKL can contribute more to). I could also test Hugo and Chris against the SoldierSkels over at Mt. Senai and see who parries (and deals Heavy Damage) more.

Hmm... now that I think about it, LUK *could* very well just be an additional factor to some (most likely SKL and EVA), if not all of the other stats.

Edited to add: I don't think I have ever used the word "factor" so much in a single post. :?
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a formula for critical hit rate Suikoden 1 or 2 was released in one of those japanese books that don't come to the US/Europe. the formula weighed both Skill and Luck equally. Clive performs better than expected in S1 because he has some secret Skill boost... (and in the same interview with Murayama, he also said Crowley had a magic boost)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: