Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Aldo & Ted [Spoilers]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouisDude98

Great Morland

27536 Potch
15 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ummmmm it is a little funny with their relatinoship and all. But it really doesn't say much except the end in Suikoden 4 right? Why exactly did Aldo meet with an "unfortunate" accident? Obviously because of Ted's rune, right? I mean there is no other reason I could of think why he'd be ashamed of it or hate it or considered it cursed even. There was no harm to him. So maybe there was harm to those around him? Maybe the Soul Eater Rune is similar to the Rune of Punishment but instead of Harvesting the Life of it's masters it would harvest the life of those around it. That would definately explain why Ted was so reluctant to join the fog ship. Maybe he wanted to be away from the rest of humanity. So I think it's very obvious that Ted indirectly killed aldo with the power of his rune.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can assume that the 'accident' that took Aldo's life was connected to the Soul Eater. We don't know for sure, but it's highly likely. Also, we already know that the Rune of Life and Death consumes the lives of those closest to the bearer, hence the nickname it is given as the Soul Eater. So, it's known that the Soul Eater consumes the souls of those around the bearer and we know that Ted avoided getting close to anyone for those reasons.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I think someone mentioned here a while ago that the Soul Eater doesn't consume the souls. It doesn't extract the souls from its victims and store them inside it for later use (consumption maybe?) as much as it simply causes the deaths of the people close to the bearer. If it did that, Ted and Tir would be constantly hounded by the trapped souls of those the Rune had taken in the past like Hero4 was.

S1 SPOILER BELOW (highlight to read)
So, when Leknaat revived Gremio she wasn't ripping his soul out of the Rune, just bringing him back to the realm of the living from the realm of the dead. Notice how she says "Open the gates of dimensions to bring us..." or something like that. She doesn't say "108 Stars of Destiny, retreive the soul of your friend from the clucthes of the Cursed Rune." That probably would have cause Tir to lose access to the Black Shadow spell also.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do we know that Tir and Ted aren't hounded by the trapped souls of the people close to the bearer?? I don't see how we can assume that they aren't. Also, we clearly see Tir suffering from the ill effects of the Soul Eater in Suikoden 2 because he has been denying it's urges. I'd find it confusing the call the Rune of Life and Death the Soul Eater if it did not eat souls.

Spoilers ahead for those that have not played Suikoden 1:

Also, if what has been said is true, Gremio's case is not conclusive evidence that the Soul Eater does not eat souls. He was saved by the Gate Rune and the wishes of the 108 Stars of Destiny which went through another gate in the Suikoden World which altered the effects of the Soul Eater basically making it so that Gremio never died, which would not give the Soul Eater a chance to devour his soul in the first place. Also, that could only occur once.

That event does not refute the evidence that Ted fed his soul to the Soul Eater to give it power along with Teo's death, as well. That is not just causing the death of those close to the bearers. It's feeding on them. Either way, we aren't shown whether they are haunted by the people that have been 'taken' due to the effects of the Soul Eater, but obviously Ted knows something about this and fears to get close to others.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EDIT: Typos and such

Quote:
How do we know that Tir and Ted aren't hounded by the trapped souls of the people close to the bearer?? I don't see how we can assume that they aren't.

And I don't see how we can assume that they are since the game doesn't tell us either way. It's a matter of conjecture and opinion. Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. Unless Konami has stated one way or the other we can't really debate this issue since there is no real evidence for either viewpoint.

Quote:
Also, we clearly see Tir suffering from the ill effects of the Soul Eater in Suikoden 2 because he has been denying it's urges

We don't know difinitively that denying the Soul Eater's urges are what's causing Tir to feel pain. I thought that scene was just the game's way of dramatizing Tir's inner struggle. SII was known for telegraphing emotions through physical and pictoral means like that (musical notes, water droplets, blushing, etc). I saw it as the game's way of having Tir say, "Can't get involved. My evil Rune will kill Riou and Ko and Ellie and all of them."

Gremio also says "I don't think the Rune itself is evil." Who would know better than him? If his soul was stolen and held prisoner within the Rune for whatever reason, I doubt he would think that the Rune wasn't evil. I know that if I was in that position, I would have a few choice words.

Quote:
I'd find it confusing the call the Rune of Life and Death the Soul Eater if it did not eat souls.

I find it confusing to call it the Rune of Life and Death since it does nothing that has anything to do with life other than ending it (except for the SIV version ... and even that's a stretch). "Soul Eater" is just a colloquial name, anyway. The Rune of Life and death is it's real name, I believe. It is also called "The Cursed Rune." I assumed that was an exaggerated term to warn people about how dangerous and scary the Rune was ("Stay away from it! IT WILL EAT YOUR SOUL! gwa ha ha")

Quote:
Gremio's case is not conclusive evidence that the Soul Eater does not eat souls.

It's also not conclusive evidence that it does. The only thing that would be is if Gremio said, "The Rune ate my soul," or if the game showed us the inside of the Rune (like in SIV) and we saw it happening. Otherwise, as I stated above, it's all conjecture.

Quote:
He was saved by the Gate Rune and the wishes of the 108 Stars of Destiny which went through another gate in the Suikoden World which altered the effects of the Soul Eater basically making it so that Gremio never died, which would not give the Soul Eater a chance to devour his soul in the first place.

Huh? Seems a little complicated to me. I would think that causing a time warp/time paradox seems to be a little out of the portfolio of the Gate Rune, since all we've ever seen it do it deal with summoning creatures. By definition a "gate" is a bridge or passageway, not a device to alter reality or the timestream. And if the Gate Rune ripped Gremio from the instant before he died and transported him through time and space into the war room, which I would think it could conceivably do, he'd probaly look like the end of Gremlins 2 thanks to the Spores of Agony.

Quote:
That is not just causing the death of those close to the bearers. It's feeding on them.

To feed on something is to consume it, digest it, and thereby destroy it. If the Soul Eater "fed" on the souls, then they wouldn't be able to come to Tir's rescue at the end of S1 and Gremio could not be revived because his soul would have been destroyed. Reconstituting an annihilated soul definitely should be beyond the powers of the Gate Rune, with or without the 108 Stars.

Quote:
obviously Ted knows something about this and fears to get close to others.

I always took this as Ted having a desire not to see the Rune kill anyone, whether or not it ate their souls. Either way it would suck for them, so Ted stays away to protect them. And if Ted and Tir were "haunted" by the souls in the Rune (assuming there are any), I think one of them would have said something about it to someone at some point. Or Leknaat would. Or the Fog Ship Guide would (maybe along the lines of "Ted, why would you weant to take the Rune back? Can you bear to hear the tortured cries of the souls trapped inside? Do you have that resolve?" Nothing is said.

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, you guys can wait for Rhapsodia to come out... The Promo ad on previously said that this is among the mysteries to be solved
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, I heard that. I just hope that the game is released in the US. But even if it isn't, I'll bet dollars to donuts that vital info like that will be up on this site real fast.

Acolytes of Chisha

6534 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Eggith Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This may be a bit late, but I want to adress Eggith's comment. He said something along the lines of Ted's not gay, and aldo is, so Ted killed him, so he has his bow. Now, this theory isn't based on anything, and you can't prove it against anything. Even IF Aldo was gay, and did like Ted, I highly doubt that Ted would kill him. Another thing, where does it say Ted has Aldo's bow? Not only did they both have regular bows, so it's not like you can't buy them in a weapon store. If he does have Aldo's bow, who said he took it from Aldo's dead body? If anything, I feel he would've taken it cause he would've thought Aldo was a GOOD FRIEND, and wanted to keep his memory close to him. Needless to say, your theory is totally unfounded, and aggravates me, and I think alot of other people.

Anyways, on the real topic, I may just be imagining, but didn't Ted say in Suikoden I that he's only had one good friend before Tir? I wouldn't be suprised if it was Aldo, I think after all the prying, Aldo could've become good friends with Ted.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought he actually called Tir his only true friend to be honest with you but I could be wrong I haven't played Suikoden 1 for a good couple of years right now. Maybe this is a good reason to start playing it again though.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Ted did mention in 1 that Tir was his only true friend... What really puzzles me though is why he chose to be friends with Tir, especially after the many "deaths" he caused due to the souleater... Aldo had also mention he remembered see Ted somewhere before, so perhaps Aldo knew him from long ago??
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What really puzzles me though is why he chose to be friends with Tir, especially after the many "deaths" he caused due to the souleater...

That is the great mystery and prominent plot hole, nobody knows that yet.

For Aldo if you take the bath sequence in mind is I mean, come on people if you were naked with a man in a bathtub alone and he made that comment what would you suggest that man to be, straight?

That comment is key to Aldo's sexual orientation as for the bow, well we really don't know what happens to Aldo I pray to god almighty who ever that may be, that we will found out in Rhapsodia, the fact of the matter it is that it had something to do with Ted and not necessarily the Soul Eater, though it is assumed to be this way...
Hsumi

The Tsugetsu

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Ted does indeed have Aldo's bow in Suikoden I, I think that after Aldo dies, (presumably due to Soul Eater) Ted took his bow to remember him by. Just speculation, mind you, but it seems logical.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope Aldo's true fate is revelead in Rhapsodia. Aldo was funny in that bath scene. I don't think he is queer as much as he just choose a weird time to say that. It was there for hurmours porposes more than anything. I don't think they became true friends as much as compainions, and the soul eater took the chance given that ted had been dinstaint from people for a long time.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
luc skywalker

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Aldo is Windy (he looks like her). and he is trying to be in friendly relations with Ted so he/she can kill Ted when he's not guarding himself.

The reason why Aldo did not kill Ted while their in the Ship is because..

* Ted is always on guard

* There are so many powerful people in the ship so he/she might be somewhat afraid to kill Ted.

That is just my theory folks..but damn Aldo really looks like Windy.
Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was talk about the power of the Gate Rune earlier...I'd just like to add this.

When Luc is leaving in his chapter, Leknaat casts a spell that Luc blocked saying her rune is incomplete so wont effect him. Do we have any idea what kind of spell that was?...could shed more light on the Gremio thing but whatever...That is not for this thread I guess.

Although Aldo is more vocal about it, he's kind of like Jacques...you get the hint that he has a crush on Aila but everytime Ace tries to talk to Jacques about girls he shrugs it off in the "girls are icky" kind of attitude. I'd still put my money on Aldo playing for the home team or just a guy who is incredibly annoying and latches on to you for no reason yet you can't be like "dude...chill, leave me alone for a bit"

Last edited by Its A Catapult on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: