Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Arc The Lad: End of Darkness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the young camila was hott so yeah it defitinly matters

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The young Camillia may have been hot (Which, for the record, I don't really think she was), but the old one was awesomeness personified.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
FF6Sage wrote:
Well, I can't say that I'm a fan of card games...

It's not a card game.

Bad terminology. See below.

Ced The Lad wrote:
everything from magic all the way to your characters (except for Edda) are in the form of cards to use.

I don't like games like that generally. The whole concept of cards holding powers (I know, nothing else is really any better) just doesn't appeal to me.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is set 5 years after Twilight of the Spirits, so the Camellia you use is the young and, err . . . blossoming Camellia. :D Although she hasn't made an appearance in the game physically.

The only characters from TOS that have appeared physically are Maru, Ganz, and Tatjana, but at the point of the game I'm in, only Maru and Tatjana became available as cards. Ganz is availiable later.

St. Ajora wrote:
Haha yeah I agree.

Well that's a mighty good description, thanks for typing it all out for us. From what I read I may not enjoy End of Darkness at all. I think I'll just complete TotS tonight or tomorrow and leave it at that. Just another question though, when you say things like Delma is the chief of the Orcons, you mean that her...power is channeled through cards right? And she's not actually a card...chief?

Remember how her brother was the Orcon Chief the last game? After Darc beat him, he became the Orcon Chief too? Well whatever happened, she is now the Orcon Chief. Although, if I'm reading the guide correctly, she took leadership after Volk? So I'm guessing he became a leader before she did.

Sorry, Dark Horizon Angel. I didn't see your question there. I give TOS a 6.5 out of 10. I liked the story, but many of the supporting characters didn't have much of a development here. Arc the Lad 3 had good character development, especially when gathering the Sacred Elements. Arc the Lad 2 had great character development as well mixing up the heroes of old and the new characters assisting them. The only thing I remember about the characters in TOS is that all the characters have one rival, but only Maru and Bebedora didn't detest each other. But if you're a fan of the series, then pick it up, so you can finish the main story of Arc The Lad.

I also didn't like the fact that Choko and Diekbeck weren't readily available until the end of the game. I understand it makes things easier, but that should have been my reward for getting them early in the first place.

I have to say that the map of this game is really informative. I like looking back and forth at maps of all the games to see where all the relative locations should be. TOS' map was the form of the globe, and I couldn't see what part of the world I was in. This game cleared it up for me:

Yewbell (The starting point of TOS) is in the landmass that Romalia used to be.

Dilzweld is at Western Halshinne, which means that the Romalian Sky Fortress traveled from Romalia southeast towards Halshinne (during Arc the Lad 3).

For some reason, an archeologist is looking for the Nidell Arena underneath the old Castle in Yewbell. She must have wrong information or something.

Mt. Sion, the place that started it all is at Sulfas. This is where Seirya used to be. Although it should be noted that in Arc the Lad TOS, they said that the mountain can no longer be climbed due to its age. But one of the early missions of End of Darkness takes you up to the very point where Arc and Kukuru met. (That old man you rescue must be some sort of climber)

As for Edda's ancestry, according to one of the Moflys, the Exorcists were descendants of the Saryu tribe. This would explain Edda's dark skin and ability to exorcise in the first place (Saryu Flute from ATL: TOS calmed the mummies' soul). For those who don't know the Saryu tribe, you may find the names Nam and Rata familiar. (In EOD, it's Nahm and Latta)

So far, I like this game. But I will admit, it doesn't take much to make me happy about Strategy RPG's. They have Choko, but I wish they added Anrietta. Oh well.

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh okay. I'm half getting this impression that the whole word is like...a card game and everyone in it is a card...>> Just never mind I can't wrap my brain around this one.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait.... how'd Elc get in the game...???

From all, Arc The Lad 3 was my favorite, the characters were so interesting! Even the sub-quests are really worth a view for, like the rival hunter.. 3 hunters, which one of them's father got killed by a body-transferring monster, and Spicy! Who couldn't forget the ninja and his pityful luck in dating..... the card system was very awesome!
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not just Elc, but Arc, Kukuru, Lutz, Choko, and almost all the other Arc the Lad characters. The ones missing from this game are Gruga, Shanti, Gogen, Sana, Poco, Chongara, Velheart, Marsia, and Anrietta (unfair).

The Twilight of the Spirits' cast live in this timeline, so their existence is explainable. But everyone else who lived thousands of years in the past are basically cards. Using some type of Cardish technology, their "spirit" for lack of a better term was placed in these cards in order for Hunters to use in their tasks.

Everyone from Twilight of the Spirits either makes a cameo appearance or are just mentioned, briefly. But you know they are alive. But you never actually get to use the "real" them. You use cards for them as well. That makes sense considering the 10 heroes (should be 12 counting Diekbeck and Choko) are really busy with work.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
The ones missing from this game are Gruga, Shanti, Gogen, Sana, Poco, Chongara, Velheart, Marsia, and Anrietta (unfair).

But...Shanti, Sana, Valhart, Marisa and Anrietta were, like, the best characters ever.

That sucks, yo.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, don't get me started with Anrietta! I believe that if we don't take Akura Choko (Arc the Lad 2) into consideration, she was the strongest character in all the Arc The Lad games. Give her the Romantic Stone and level her up to the max level like I did and she would destroy everything. From the time she joined the party, she never left. She was the anchor that held everything in place.

Her only problem was her high costing magic and her relatively low MP, but the stone reduced all magic cost to 0, canceling out that negative. Sure Giga Plasma was powerful, but her spells were more useful. Ruby laser was especially useful in paralyzing enemies to Cardish them. Platinum pressure was her strongest spell. To top it all off, her Jewelry Box healed everyone with Max hp ALONG with increasing a random statistic. Finally, just give her a lot of magic enhancing equipment to supplement her magic. She was just completely broken when one took the time to work with her. Princess types are always a blast in RPG's anyway.

Even if they managed to tone her down like many of the others, imagine the chaos she'd cause in this game.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They toned her down in Arc the Lad: Resurrection. Completely useless (Marsia kicked the pants off of her, and she sucks), which means you had to stick with Shu or Alec. You could use Lieza, but without Ravish, what good is she?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The card bit reminds me of Theo's cardish ability in Arc the Lad III which, if I recall correctly, allowed you to capture monsters and use them in battle, similar to how you could capture monsters with Lieza in Arc the Lad II.

I didn't even realize it was available now, I guess I should pay more attention to the IGN alerts I receive.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I beat this game a few days ago and managed to get Choko today, so I figured that I would share my opinions with all of you. I enjoyed this game more than I did Twighlight of Spirits. However that isn't saying too much since I hated TOS. If I were to rank this game in relation to all the other Arc games I would put it as the fourth best(or second worst depending on how you look at it).

The graphics for the game weren't that good, but graphics aren't really that important in an RPG. However it was sad that there wasn't even on FMV throughout the entire game.

The storyline was better than in TOS, but relatively weak in comparison to the early Arc games. It was also sort of just loosely connected at some points.

The characters in the game were not developed as well as they could have been, but I still liked all of them. I would say that it beat TOS because the characters in TOS basically only wanted to kill off all of the other side. Well that is except Lilia, but she was more annoying. I'm really glad they didn't decide to have her as part of the story.

The battle system is where this game is its weakest. The battle system is a hack and slash which is only half developed. You are only able to use a single chain with each character and each character only has like one single special attack. Some of those special attacks are not that good also. For example Arc got Total Healing which seems to me to be about the same as Cure III. He should have gotten Gale Flash! Also Choko's special attack is called vanishchoo(or something like that). I was expecting it to be like Vanish from II, but instead it is a balloon with her face on it that pops dealing damage. It was very dissapointing.

The synthesis system is only a shadow of its glory from III. You have no way of being able to keep track of which items were made with which recipes. Ypu have no way to quick make an item that you have already made before. There are no alternate recipes to allow you to get things easier. It is just kind of sad.

The hunter system is also a pale comparison. You don't have anyway to recap the missions that you have already taken. The missions don't create any interesting side stories like Alec's girlfreind(forgot her name), Spicy, the Rainbow Bandit group, and Anrietta(although I hated her). The non story missions are all just standard killing(or defending) missions that only slightly relate to the story.

I personally don't care much for the card system for abilities and equipment, but I can live with it.

The lac of a level up system hurts the game a lot. It really ruins the feel of the game. The hunter class thing doesn't make up for it at all.

I really think that they had some good ideas with this game, but they were implemented poorly becuase they decided to make the game online. I think that they should have kept the game as a tactical game, and made the returning characters as part of the storyline/ side quests instead of just random things. It seems like that would make sense to me with the main character an exorcist. Like for example I could see a real interesting side quest where you find part of the stone that Arc and Kukuru's spirits were in in III, and it has only one of their souls in it. That starts a side quest where you try to find the part that has the other's soul in it. I really think that this game had a lot of potential that was wasted because they decided to make it into an online game. However I have heard that they are already closing the Japanese servers, so hopefully the developers have learned their lesson.

Quote:

The only characters from TOS that have appeared physically are Maru, Ganz, and Tatjana, but at the point of the game I'm in, only Maru and Tatjana became available as cards. Ganz is availiable later.

Paulette, Delma, and Volk also appear physically(although Delma and Volk appear only after you beat the game). You also can see a couple of photos of Kharg that he sends Paulette after you beat the game.

Quote:

I also didn't like the fact that Choko and Diekbeck weren't readily available until the end of the game. I understand it makes things easier, but that should have been my reward for getting them early in the first place.

Theoretically if you tried hard enough you could get Diekbeck really early on in the game. It would just take a lot of time. I agree on Choko though. I also wish you could get Arc sooner. He is one of my favorite characters in the series.

Quote:

But...Shanti, Sana, Valhart, Marisa and Anrietta were, like, the best characters ever.

No the best characters ever are Arc, Kukuru, Tosh, Elc, and Choko.

Quote:

The card bit reminds me of Theo's cardish ability in Arc the Lad III

Well it should because the technology that the cards use in this game is supposed to be based off of the abilities of a Cardist(although this raises the question of why if they were still around they weren't mentioned in TOS).

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How're Alec and Cheryl? Those are the two I give a damn about.

Also, I hear Alec gets Impulse Bomb, which is pretty badass.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Revolving Sphere, I wouldn't call this game a hack and slash at all. I've had to maneuver numerous times, just to get out of a tough jam. But the first two hits of everyone's combo are usually the best tactics around, especially if they stun the opponent consistently (Arc, etc.)

I'm going to play this game religiously trying to make the best team possible. But I can't get Choko because the Desert Devil, Galum Head, Lackey Demon, Dandelion, and Master Ninja REFUSE to show up in the missions. Their missions won't come up for some reason. I have 150,000 G already, and they still haven't showed up. I'll take requests on characters but let's start with Cheryl and Alec.

*Note, so far, I've gone through Arc, Lutz, Shu, Elc, Leiza, Edda, Alec, and Cheryl*

Alec is very solid.

My Setup:

Alec: Element - None

Strength: 180
Magic: 140
Tech: 140
Defense: 150
Speed: 120

Special Skill: Impulse Bomb

Weapon Card: Brain Hilt (This changes the color of the hilt of his sword from white to gold. Alec's special card)
Defense Card: Lizard guard
Accessory Card: Romantic Stone (This reduces CP consumption and changes the color of the person on the screen! Even Edda's avatar changed color in the cut scenes. Very cool! In Alec's case, this changed his cape from dark red to dark purple)

Opinion:

Alec's normal attacks take most of their damage from Strength and not tech.

Hit 1 = 20% Str . . . 8% tech (slice type)
Hit 2 = 24% Str . . . 8% tech (slice type)
Hit 3 = 30% Str . . . 10% tech (Pierce type)

He hits as hard or maybe even higher than Arc! This is mainly due to his special equipment card which is Brain Hilt. It adds 80 to his strength rating and 40 to both his magic and tech rating. This does triple duty by making his attack higher (Tech and Strength) while making Impulse bomb hurt even more. His first two slashes are fast and stun the enemy consistently.

As all skills do, Alec like, everyone else, has an invincibility period when he activates his skill. Impulse bomb itself is a very devastating move. Though it only hits once for all enemies, with the setup above, it usually deals around 170 points of damage. Again, this skill relies on Str and Tech, making it one of the more useful ones.

I pride offense over defense in this game (Thanks to Healing Pigmy) and in particular, the first two hits of everyone's combo. I'd put Alec in the upper tier right below #2 Arc and #1 Lutz.

Cheryl: Element - None

Str: 110
Mag: 100
Tec: 200
Def: 120
Spd: 110

Special Skill: Napalm Frenzy

Weapon: Tactical Glove (Gives her a gold colored left glove. Special Card)
Armor: Lizard Guard
Accessory: Romantic Stone (Changes her shirt from Red to purple)

Opinion:

She doesn't need strength. None of her attacks nor Napalm Frenzy uses it as part of her damage. So why tactical glove gives a 40 rating to strength is beyond me. At least it adds 40 to her magic too, since everyone is going to need at least one cure spell. (Unless you have the Healing Pygmy)

Her attack is ok. They do stun the opponent with her first two hits, but seeing as the damage is so little (Even with her Tech raised really high) You may as well go for the whole combo. Don't miss though, because the last hit of her combo is three shots that leave you open forever.

Her Napalm Frenzy is dangerous! It really hurts a lot (Impulse bomb damage) but you add Range to it. She fires three explosive shots in a line causing anyone in the Area of fire to suffer a painful experience. This is her best move considering that she has crappy magic, and most of the Gimmicks (tool cards that damage based on tech) aren't that useful, except for paralyzer, poison bomb, and a few. So give her a Romantic Stone or Healing Pigmy (Restores 10 hp every 2 seconds), and just stay away from the threat blasting them from afar. She plays exactly like Shu, but I like her better. I know Shu can do multiple hits with his special move, but you have be somewhat close to the opponent to do that. That eliminates his purpose of being a gunner. Also, to me, Shu is a bit slower compared to Cheryl.

Just keep her away from the competition and it'll be fine. And stay away from her circle attack. She does an unnecessary flip before she shoots out a shot that knocks the enemy down. But not even the Kuskles stay long enough to get hit by it. And don't think about using it for evasion either. There are better ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: