Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shin Megami Tensei
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MariGreywords

The White Wind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Megatenists, unite!

Man . . . I remember playing Revelations Series: Persona when it first came out . . because my local Blockbuster had it for rent. I actually managed to find a copy of it about . . . four years ago? Maybe three? I bought Persona 2: Eternal Punishment the DAY it came out, from a Best Buy. Thank you experience. Nocturne, and the Avatar Tuner games I pre-ordered, and picked up the day they came out. Preparedness is always great.

Though I have Persona 2: Eternal Punishment as my all-time favorite game, I can't help but sometimes feel that I liked Megami Ibunroku Persona (Goddess Revival Persona), or rather . . Revelations Series: Persona, more. As much of a punk 'Nate' and 'Brad' were . . I loved all of the other characters . . especially 'Chris' and 'Main' (You're damn right I named the main character Main). I'm replaying it now, in fact . . . and I still remember my starting strategy. "GET VIRGO AFTER THE POLICE STATION AND GIVE IT TO MAIN" Once you've done that, the next three hours is easy . . . up until I swap Virgo for Remy. ;x

As for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment . . . what's not to like?!
Favorite Character list! (Minorish/majorish spoilers.)
10: Tatsuya (Vinyl jacket + Lighter = Joy)
9: Ixquic (She's the cutest <3)
8: GOLDFINGER! (Bond references, anyone?)
7: Ulala (You f@#king bastard! :D)
6: Katsuya (Just for his sunglasses)
5: Fscking GUIDO KANDORI/SARDENIA! (He has no eyes . . .scary!)
4: Tammy (COME ON! She's a fencer that worked as a Devil Summoner! How cool is that?! ANOTHER CAMEO!)
3: Baofu (The hair, the suit, the cig, the sunglasses. He is THE MAN. My one true love.)
2: Maya (Maaya! Maaya! Let's be positive!)
3: The Time Count . . AKA . . NYARLOTHOTEP!

YEAH, I SAID IT. I just totally let the cat out of the bag. If you've never gone to the Time Castle after the entire party gets to the final dungeon, and meets Nyarlothotep in his Tatsuya guise . . you absolutely have to do it. It is the single coolest time in the entire game. It's great how he just sits there, all badass. "Yeah, i'm trying to kill you right now . . but to be fair, i'll sell you some spell cards. Fight? No, you have to find me in the place you were just at." I read a fanfic recently, that had Ulala clock Time Count and break his monocle. BEAUTIFUL!

"Let's be positive!" ~Amano Maya

"Ok, so I bleed orange-flavored Jell-O. Big deal!" ~AdonisVaMPHuNT
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh my, I really feel like a bad person, my copy of Digital Devil Saga II been sitting on the shelf for like few months now, I should start it soon before something bad happens to it, but with Tactics in my hands things are a little bit hard.

Also because a mean someone spoiled a major plot ending for me that made me of course less interested in seeing if it's true for myself.

But I reeeally really should start with it, the first one was quite good, I want to know what happens next for myself.

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm lucky I didn't see the spoiler then, and don't tell me where it is. Thanks.

Nice to see so many people who are ready for more rpgs from Megaten.

Incidentally, I heard that SMT: Devil Summoner (or something to that extent) is to be released in PSP? Maybe I should buy a PSP... there's always the off-chance that they might revive the Persona series.

I wonder if any of you want to see any of the SMT series (or anything from Megaten) reproduced and re-released for PS3?
MariGreywords

The White Wind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to rumor, the game being re-released for the PSP is going to be Revelations Series: Persona, or rather, Megami Ibunroku Persona. The first in the line is coming back out!!! . . . possibly. The chances of this rumor being true, and it coming out anywhere but Japan, are slim to none. Who knows, we might get lucky. Hell, they might even pull a Wild Arms Altercode: F on it.

Shameless Plug in five, four, three, two . . .

I am currently working on a forum roleplay based in the Persona 2 setting, alternate universe. As soon as I get the thread started, i'll post a happy link to it in my profile. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in getting some Persona-style RP on . . . it'll be fun!

"Let's be positive!" ~Amano Maya

"Ok, so I bleed orange-flavored Jell-O. Big deal!" ~AdonisVaMPHuNT
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to be a spoiler but... (highlight below for spoiler in SMT: DDS)

Did anyone notice how easy the game became after the characters mastered the skills Ragnorak and Null Attack?

I probably will have to get a PSP... but I'll wait a while longer for the titles to be verified before I actually buy the console...
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Devil Summoner 3 got a 30/40 in Famitsu. Don't know how it is but it comes out (this week?) soon in Japan. They said they didn't like the random battle rate..don't know what that's all about as they gave DDS1 and 2 32/40 if I recall and those have pretty crazy random battle rates.

Anyways, no matter what Famitsu gave it I look forward to it as SMT is the most consistent and high quality rpg series this generation.
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played:

Persona (only played about 10 hours though - I thought the battle system was too slow and the dungeons were really bland)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (better story than EP, but too easy. Also when you go from EP to IS, you really miss some of the gameplay refinements in EP)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (first I played. one of the best RPGs on the PS1)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (probably my favorite Megaten game. awesome story and atmosphere)
DDS1+2 (fun, but they're basically Nocturne Lite)
Soul Hackers (shame that this and IS never came out in english :( )

I'm looking forward to the new Devil Summoner, even though part of me wishes they'd make something more like the older games (though I generally like real-time battle systems). It has a good chance of coming over here, too, considering how much attention SMT has gotten from Atlus USA in recent years.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
How they could give a 30/40 to a game that has a title screen this cool:

Is beyond me.

Nevermind the fact that, like Atlus R&D1's other PS2 games, Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidoh completely kicks the crap out of the other Feb rpgs: Baten Kaitos 2 (34/40), Suikoden V (32/40), Monster Kingdom (35/40)...

And I like how thier biggest complaints were that the battle system was bimyou, which basically means they didn't get it ^^; God forbid, someone tries something that deviates from the turn-based rpg formula.

I guess Famitsu didn't get their moneyhats in on time >_<

lol I can't wait for impressions
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread needs a bump.

So I finally got my good computer and I downloaded the ROMs for Digital Devil Monogatari I and II, Shin Megami Tensei I and II, and if...(there is a god! ;_; ), but I was only able to find English patches for Shin Megami Tensei I and II(god hates me...). I guess I'll be playing Shin Megami Tensei I and II first.

Playing Digital Devil Monogatari in Japanese is like... playing Digital Devil Monogatari in Japanese(sorry for my lack of comparrisons). The game has a huge menu, and so many enemies and people talk and I don't know what they're saying. I wrote down on a paper what I do know, like things in the menus and shops. =o But there's one screen - I'm guessing it's the Status screen? - I don't know what to do. I think I can equip weapons and armor there... but I don't know how. o_O And that's all I did on my test run.

I hardly played Shin Megami Tensei if... When selecting New Game, a fortune teller(with no body - just a shaved head and hands) asks me questions, which I'm guessing determines my stats? I know the first question asks me if I'm male or female. Maybe I'll look somewhere to see if someone translated the questions, because they're kind of important.

And I only played the first few minutes of Shin Megami Tensei I. I have an English patch for both, so they don't need test runs and I don't need to write down the menus and battle commands. xD But there was a creepy floating head that asked for my name... o_O

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only played the two Persona games which made it over here, plus Nocturne. Still haven't beaten any of 'em. Got to the final dungeon in Persona before giving up in frustration, and took on the final boss of Persona 2 a few times but never actually beat him. My game of Nocturne is still in progress, but I haven't picked it up in months now. I'm at that tunnel just before the Diet Building after an extremely lengthy run through the Labyrinth of Amala to get my überpixie. In retrospect, I shouldn't have bothered with the Amala stuff. Probably added almost 30 hours onto the game.

I'm looking forward to Persona 3 with an almost Suikoden V level of anticipation. The gameplay movies I've seen online make it look like one of the most stylish games I've ever seen. To think that they've managed to pull that off without Kaneko's presence is amazing.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have only purchased Nocturne a few days ago (just play tested it haven't moved on yet), and I like the whole demon theme so I was thinking what Shin Megami Tensei games are out there?

At least which got released to the west and on what platforms?

I know of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga I & II and the new Devil Summoner, what else?

Oh, and what is considered the best game of the series (kind of like how Suikoden II is for Suikoden and Final Fantasy VII is for Final Fantasy)...

The series is fairly new to me mostly because the first game to see a PAL release was Nocturne if I'm not mistaken, with Digital Devil Saga following (I'm sure II will get a release too but I'm not sure about Devil Summoner)...
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, I'm playing Shin Megaim Tensei I first. I got like 4 - 5 hours done last night. I got some demons as my minions!! :D My first was a Pixie, which I later fused with my pet dog to make a level 43 Keroberos, and the he left me... ;_; I also got some other demons, like a Weredog, a Kobold, Goblin... I can't think of them all. But I'm running out of room, so I need to find the place where I fuse demons.

Also, I got Jack O' Lantern and Jack Frost as my minions! <3 In the same battle! And it was so easy. I talked to them and they didn't even want anything form me, they were just like "Will you let me be your minion?" and "If I become your minion will you fuse me with a cute chick?" So yeah, I got Jack O' Lantern and Jack Frost. *crosses it off the To Do List*
Arenegeth wrote:
I know of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga I & II and the new Devil Summoner, what else?

Well, there's Shin Megami Tensei I and II, as well as Shin Megami Tensei if... for the SNES. Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei I and II for the NES(made by Namco, not Atlus). Devil Summoner I and II: Soul Hackers for the Saturn. Majin Tensei I and II: Spiral Nemesis, a SRPG game with Megaten elements, for the SNES. And there's the Last Bible series, also. Revelations: Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin(never released in North America) and Eternal Punishment for PS, and Persona 3 for the PS2. There's also 2 DemiKids for the Gameboy Advance out in North America, Light Story and Dark Story, but there's like a dozen out in Japan.

Quote:
Oh, and what is considered the best game of the series (kind of like how Suikoden II is for Suikoden and Final Fantasy VII is for Final Fantasy)...

Umm... I dunno. Many people love the main Shin Megami Tensei games, I, II and Nocturne. Others love Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. I still haven't played a lot of them(I'm on it) so I can't really give my opinion on what's the best. But I do love Digital Devil Saga. <3

Oh, and Digital Devil Saga 2 will be released in Europe.

Jorge Prima wrote:

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AANGE wrote:

Oh, and Digital Devil Saga 2 will be released in Europe.

You just made my day young man :)

there are only two Shin Megami Tensei games avalible to Europeans, they are Lucifers Call (known as Nocturne to you) and Digital Devil Saga. I own both, finally buying lesser know RPG's has paid off for me! One day i swear i will complete at least one of them.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lucky you, owning Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. D:

So I was looking around earlier and found English screens of Devil Summoner 3! :mrgreen: I was so excited. I almost fell out of my chair.

Here. Courtesy of Digital Devil Database.

18 days... I can't really wait anymore! D:

EDIT: Do you want to scream with joy?

Quote:
It seems the dream of any Persona fan might soon be coming true. A team of translators, headed by a person identified as Gimini, is working on a translation patch for Persona 2: Innocent Sin. If you're unfamiliar, this is the first of two Persona sequels. It never actually made its way outside of Japan.

The patch is expected to be completed in about eight months. It will be available in both English and Italian. Plans for a website detailing the progress of the patch are currently in the works. Current information on it can be found at RomHacking.net, along with some screens

~ Source: Digital Devil Database(again)

That's Italian though. But still. YAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!! <33333

Jorge Prima wrote:

Blazefeeler

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesomeness. Thanks for posting those screen shots up, it looks like a wild ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: