Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Suikoden II Prestige
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think Suikoden II is most known for?
Being rare, high price, I'm gald to have one for that reason and the love of the game
14%
 14%  [ 12 ]
Being rare, high price, but that should be changed so more people(I) can get it
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
The game itself, being rare is just a minor detail
25%
 25%  [ 22 ]
It is the best game of all the Suikoden games
48%
 48%  [ 41 ]
It is just plan overrated and not even the best game of the series
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 85

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: The Suikoden II Prestige Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you think is the most important reason why Suikoden II is viewed as highly as it is? Is the high cost of the game good or bad for the series?
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's viewed as highly as it is because it's a great game. The only reason it's rare is because it was crushed by a Final Fantasy title (I think it was VII at the time?) so most gamers were putting money into that instead of Suikoden. The game sold few copies and Konami decided not to issue more thinking financially it wouldn't be worth it.

Which is the reason it's so expensive. High quality + low quantity = high price. High demand + low supply = high price. Pretty basic economics.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

but what would a random guy who only heard of suikoden games tell you first? that II is rare to find I would think, which is almost the first thing that is told to anyone who is trying to find suikoden II for the first time. good or bad that's pretty strong publicity if you think about it, cause instendly two groups of thoughts will be formed; people who would just giveup and start looking for something else they can buy, and the ones that will see what can be done to get the game.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game itself, man. Really, this game is awesome, and I don't think most people think about Suikoden II because of how rare it is. Granted, I think it being rare has given it some notoriety, and makes it more expensive on e-Bay, but if the game sucked, it wouldn't matter how rare it was.

It may be hard to find some games, but if they really suck, then most people won't be willing to pay more than 10 bucks for it. I think that's why people talk about looking for Suikoden II so often, because it is good. If it wasn't, no one would talk about it, and most people would probably make fun of people who DO look for it. I don't see that happening on most forums.

Even so, Suikoden II has gotten pretty good reviews from several reviewers, most notably Game Informer. I don't really recall how well Gamespot or IGN.com rated it, but I think it was somewhere around 7.5 or so. However, if you compare Suikoden II to most of the 3-D RPGs out there, it really bests almost all of them. And most people would rate the game as better than a few of the esteemed Final Fantasy games. (Not necessarily 7 or 6, but I think most would say that it's better than 8, 9, or 5.)

As far as how fun the game itself is to play, that's also a huge factor. There are few games I've played as entertaining as Suikoden II. It has drama, emotion, realism, tradgedy, and a memorable storyline. These things make Suikoden II one of the best RPGs of all time.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose the last one because it seems everyone likes it a lot, but I like Suikoden III better.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's most well known for being the best of the series. Being rare is only known to those unfortunate souls who haven't played it.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really think it is the best game in the series. Now, don't get me wrong, I love S1 and have been playing it since the first year it came out, but when I picked up S2 on the day it was released, I thought, "Wow! This series can really compete with the FFs." When I beat it, I said, "Compete? This game can blow the Final Fantasy series away!"

Rarity does, however, influence demand. Remember the South park episode wher Cartman opens the amusement park? Telling someone "You can't have it often does make them want it more." People have heard good things about it, yes, but when finding a copy is so hard, it elevates it to that Holy Grail status. People want it just to see why it's so expensive. Then they play it and say, "Wow! That's why!"

I treat my copy of the game like gold because if it breaks, God help me if I have to go find another one!

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know this sounds quite childish and even a bit selfish but I take pride that this series takes the underrated role to the majority of the public(as in lot less people have as much intrest in it than the final fantasies, wild arms, or even xenogears/sagas), and the fact that our fan base is the size it is. since of those that trys to "check out" this series to see if it would catch their intrest or not, suikoden II's price restricts any sort of quick pickup by some random gamer.

I'm not againest any kind of fan base expansion as I won't claim to be a day one suikoden follower myself, but unless square stops making rpgs, suikoden would never be one of the major rpg series here in North America just based on the lack of publicity alone. So why bother with those here today gone tomorrow fans? call me selfish but I'd rather be the owner of one of the rarest Playstation games ever made, than have suikoden II reprinted just so some more people that can say they played this game before.

The major hike in suikoden game price came after III was viewed by most as one of the best early PS2 games, so as long as konami keep putting out good suikoden games, the fan base will grow the right way with followers that truely loves the game.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel that anyone competent enough to enjoy the Suikoden experience should be entitled to play Suikoden II without having to fork over exorbitant sums of money.

I feel that those who are already loyal members of the Suikoden fanbase should be given a chance to play and own Suikoden II without having to pay $100 for it.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game it self had changed my life when I first played it, yes it had that big implications, is a great honor for a game to be called my favorite after all the games I played and my general critical nature, but I wont go into detail here there is a thread about what Suikoden means to you already.

The rarity makes no difference to me, the reason is the relative small print the game had in the US and Europe because Konami though that westerners weren't going to like it compared to the flashy Final Fantasy VIII and the upcoming IX.

The price does concern me, though I have the PAL version which I got close to launch I need the US and Japanese NTSC versions as well for collection purposes and not only, since there is some memory transfer going on with the Suikogaidens.

The US version is the expensive one the Japanese version comes cheap.

But I owe a lot to Suikoden II so I can give away the money knowing that they worth it.

Is sad that its price makes it hard for some people to play it.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I feel that those who are already loyal members of the Suikoden fanbase should be given a chance to play and own Suikoden II without having to pay $100 for it.

yeah man I feel ya, the high cost for sure keeps away the pretender fans but I'm sure almost everyone fan enough to be here deserve a copy, and I do fell bad that some true fans are unable to find a copy since the price hike. like I said in the other topic, keep checking the suikoden II item page on gamestop.com and you should find one in a month or two if you live in a somewhat big city, I'm pretty sure of it.
gari

high lifters

100063 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I'm very lucky to have both original (1 and 2- 3 never came in Europe) and I got 2 for free with my gamesmagazine:) then later on, I was looking for suiko 1 everywhere and then just out of the blue I found it in ToyRus :P
Blackwind

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm saying it's because it's a great game in it's own us why it's viewed so highly. The only reason that it's rare is that it went up against Final Fantasy 8.

My first copy of the game burned up in a fire and I Traded $60 about $70 in magic cards for mint copies of Suikoden2 and Final Fantasy Tactics geting them both was a good deal but I was willing to pay $100+ for either game.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is just the best in the series. I was lucky, I only saw it once on the shelves and bought it (along with NFL Blitz 2000, they were half the price).

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is "just" nothing. It's the best in the series to some. Not to everyone. Clearly those of us who feel this way are outnumbered, but we do exist. Personally, for reasons that I am a story whore and that Suikoden III had the best story of all of them [Suikoden IV coming in second in terms of story, even if its gameplay was so painful to me that Suikoden II easily beats it out in my book] and had a very interesting and innovative approach to the series. True, it had its failing points - the war battles, for example, not to mention the buddy system [nice idea, poor implementation] - but I think it was the culmination of the series' greatness. It was, simply put, a wonderful game in my book.

Personally I think much of the hype of this game stems from the fact that it's so hard to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: