Suikoden United and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wha . . . but they could fight before . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Wha . . . but they could fight before . . . Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hasn't anyone ever thought it strange that Tuta was able to fight with you when he was an effeminate eleven year old, and then fifteen years later, he has NO STATS at all! This happened with Yam Koo from Suikoden I to II as well, and now they're doing it with Jeane, who has always been unplayable. I wonder what Konami is thinking to suddenly make characters who couldn't fight at all into ones who can, and ones who have fought before into weaklings who can't.

The reason this all struck me as a topic is because I replayed Suikoden III, and I wanted to use Tuta in my party, and then I found out I couldn't.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's more likely meant as a tie in, to make it more suikoden-ish. remember that in sII when you had tir, if you'd gotten the right ending in sI, you'd get him and gremio, but gremio wasn't playable.

you can use tuta, just as support; he's second for best choice after goro and jeane falls somewhere after that.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've thought about it before, but I don't think that there is a satisfying answer at all. In my opinion, it's simply Konami wanting to bring back the old character, but not bothering to make them playable for whatever reason. To me, Yam Koo's case might be that his role in Suikoden II was specifically for the fishing mini game and just that. While for Tuta, well I have no clue whatsoever, but probably Konami thought that he wasn't all that great in Suikoden II, so there might be no point into making him a fighting character in Suikoden III. But who knows, I don't think that it would be answered.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just because a character doesn't fight doesn't mean they're physically incapable of it. In the case of Tuta, he became the army's doctor, so it's natural that they wouldn't be putting him into battle. He serves the army best by healing soldiers outside of combat.

Also, Jeane has always been a powerful magician. Though she has never participated in regular combat she has always been rather formidable in the major battles. But, once again, she stayed at the HQ to supply her services as a Runemistress, not as a soldier.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Viki wasn't usable in the original too. It was the first obvious change to me... not surprising at all.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not fighting does not mean that you do not know how. Tuta probably just wanted to go into a field of helping others instead of fighting and killing them. Jeane most likely just did not feel like fighting and instead wanted to draw in young men with her. . . well you know the rest.

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that its more to do with whether or not the characters wanted to fight.
Maybe Yam koo decided not to fight in the Dunan Unification War, because he had no wish to and he was only there to stay wih Tai Ho whereas he fought in the Gate Rune Wars maybe to save his homwtown.
Tuta probably spent more time studying and in S3 spends his time healing, so cannot fight.

I don't understand why Viki would suddenly start fighting however....
Kyojin Blight

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a strong feeling that Jeane won't be a weak character in Suikoden IV. Anyway, I think the fans deserve to see what she's capable of. Maybe she'll have the ability to seduce people (theme of pervertion stars to play). Nobody knows...

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had wanted to play with him too when I first played suikoden III, i was like 'oh cool! its tuta! hm...i wonder if he'll be any better than in suikoden II?' then...sadly i was dissapointed when i realized you couldnt fight with him cause i was really lookin forward to throwing pebbles at the monsters! *sighs* OH! and im new to this message board and this is my very first post! ^^
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the role reversals allow for more lifelike play, where characters have a different part to play in the plot. I mean just look at Luc, in the first two Suikodens you recruit him and can use him to fight the enemy, yet in 3 although he is considered one of the 108 stars he is the enemy that you fight throughout the game. Lucia is another, in 2 she is an unplayable enemy yet in 3 a big part of the story as a good guy.

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A simple explaination can be given actually... In S1, Yam Koo has always been potrayed as the more docile one between him and Tai Ho. Possibly, by S2, Yam Koo decided that he's had enough of fighting, and decides to focus on fishing. Tai Ho, the rash one would still be out there fighting.

As for Tuta. In S2, if you look at it in a story way and not via gameplay, he wasn't actually a fighter. Instead, due to the fact that he has to run errands for Huan around the area, he'll have to have some kind of defence. Thus, he learnt the art of highly accurate stone hurling. However, by S3, he's a fully grown man, and an accomplished doctor. He will be too tied up with the medical matters to actually go into the battle field. Just like Huan and Liukan, Tuta wouldn't be able to fight. Besides, being a doctor, he probably would be too busy curing than learning new forms of fighting, and hurling stones isn't exactly suitable for a man in his twenties...

As for Jeane, rememberm it's in the past. It is possible that some event between these 150 years caused Jeane to decide that she should stop engaging in battle, and focus more on running the rune shop, and only aiding in large scale battle. Another possible thing would be that in S4, she might not even be runnign the rune shop. Note, this is just a little speculation, and if there's information that she IS indeed running the rune shop forget it... So possibly, by the time of S1, Jeane has taken the interest in running a rune shop, and thus decided to forget about fighting.

As for Viki, she probably only remembered she could use her magic to fight by S2... :?
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It made sense to me that characters changed roles in different ways, and I really didn't question it much, but I was rather upset that I couldn't use Tuta, and moreso that his data didn't transfer. (I used that kid a lot when he was a cute little pebble-boy. He would have been great if his data transfered!) I was thrilled about him being in Gensui3, and wanted to see his new weapon, if he had one...
and then he didn't, and I was very disappointed.
I still accepted it and understood the change, since Huan wasn't playable in 2. Dispite that fact, I must say, you aren't the only one who wanted Tuta in their party anyway.
ragingchaosgod

4000 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Makes sense that Tuta became an unusable one. I mean, could we throw Dr. Huan in battle? I don't think so. (But that would've been a sight to see...)
Piercezoner

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes tuta couldnt fight because now he is a full-time docter and must treat his patients instead of fighting
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kobold wrote:
As for Tuta. In S2, if you look at it in a story way and not via gameplay, he wasn't actually a fighter. Instead, due to the fact that he has to run errands for Huan around the area, he'll have to have some kind of defence. Thus, he learnt the art of highly accurate stone hurling. However, by S3, he's a fully grown man, and an accomplished doctor. He will be too tied up with the medical matters to actually go into the battle field. Just like Huan and Liukan, Tuta wouldn't be able to fight. Besides, being a doctor, he probably would be too busy curing than learning new forms of fighting, and hurling stones isn't exactly suitable for a man in his twenties...

Luikan is able to fight in Suikoden.

Also, the repeated points made about Tuta changing his role to a doctor don't explain how, after Mio joins the party, she asks Tuta if he will be alright alone, and he explains how he fought in the Unification War. He most probably also has to fight some monsters to get all the way from Iksay to Chisha.

My whole thing on Viki is that Konami probably hadn't fleshed out the whole Blinking Rune thing, so they waited until characters could have more rune slots to add her. This whole thing about Viki confuses me more and more however. Initially she is not playable, then she becomes a playable character, but with only one open slot and the Blinking Rune. However, in III, she is playable with Blinking and 2 Open slots. This makes me wonder how she keeps improving in so little time, since she skips from one Suikoden to the next. I wonder what kind of improvement she'll have in Suikoden IV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: