Suikoden United and Irrational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

great race
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you want to see for a new race?
Racoon-people
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Hawk-people(like the ducks but having wings also)
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Mouse-people
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Fariy
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
other/orginal
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
deer-people
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
selkie(bluntly a were-seal)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
people with purple skin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
toad or frog-people
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: great race Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hey, I don't see a "race" topic yet.
Long ago I slightly recall the "new races you would like to see" topic. Maybe it was here, maybe not, maybe it was for Suikoden 4 maybe not. If so, too bad we didn't have it anymore. It would be great to see if anything we said did ring true. I made a post like this elsewhere, this one is tweeked a bit.

so here we have it. What do you want to see, what do think will appear?
when you see the -people, think "kobolds".

what would they do, how would they act...if you wish, make up somthing. We have seen Ducks, Wingers, Elves and Dwarves(they behave in the classic manar), Lizards, and kobolds and others.

then we have like Dragons.Griffens, Unicorn and Kraken, but those are animals.

anway enjoy. Lets see what we can make out of it. there is a small sample of some "fun things".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I wouldn't like to see anymore races at all. Suikoden already has a plethora of races, and I feel that adding more would be somewhat gimmick like. You know the whole "Come see what new and exciting race we will be unveiling -this- game" sort of thing. Even if we discount the races that you listed as animals, or monsters, as I would call them, we still have the seven that you listed, as well as Nei-kobolds (did I spell that right?), lycanthropes, mermaids, whatever Yuber and Pesmerga are, humans, of course, and quite possibly others that I'm missing. That already brings the unique race tally up to twelve. I don't think I know many other RPG's that have that many distinct and unique races in it.

In some ways, if you use our own world as an example, having that many fully sentient and somewhat civilized races doesn't make sense. Of course, we don't know if Suikoden has followed the course of evolution as our planet did, but if it were so, I don't know that nature would produce so many dominant races. It does appear that humans are the most dominant, but the others, kobolds in particular, seem to be holding their ground very well. I suppose that magic might have something to do with it as well. If humans evolved for versatility and adaptability, on our planet that would be about the best you could get. If we look at the elves though, they seem to have taken an entirely different course, evolving for potency in magic. Moreover, I suppose it is possible that some of these races could have encountered magical radiation, for lack of a better term, that drastically altered their evolutionary path, causing them to evolve in an unexpected, but still beneficial manner. Magic throws in quite a few more possibilities, especially since we don't really know just how it would cause any effects, or how prevelant it was in the atmoshpere that life sprang up from and evolved through.

So, in conclusion, I wouldn't want to see more races. Twelve more than does it for me. What I would like is to keep having Stars of Destiny in these outside races, and perhaps to interact with them a bit more, and really learn something about their culture and attitudes. I would rather dig deeper in the races that we know than introduce another lot of poorly developed races that lack a culture, simply because they "look cool" or something.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never liked the non-human races in the Suikoden games, honestly. I like the elves and dwarves, but all the talking animals have made the game too Sesame Street-ish, in my opinion. I really hope Suikoden 5 doesn't introduce more of them. I can't say I've ever liked *any* of the talking animals...they make the game too cutesy.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am with you two. I think there are enough races in the suikoden world and i would prefer to see no new races. I like the elves and the dwarves, and even the kobalds, but the other races kinda bothered me a little. I mean i understood that the grasslands should have a diverse population so i could accept their different races, but i really didn't like the nay-kobalds. As soon as i saw a screenshot of the "cat people" i was not happy. I would prefer to see more focus on our current races and maybe start to give some background information on them and how they are accepted by the humans. I mean we have all these races and really no background information on them. Hopefully though, for my sake, there will be no more new races.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am going to have to agree with the majority. No more new races.

We have Elves, Dwarves, Kobolds, Wingers, Lycanthropes, Ducks, Lizards, Mermaids and Nay-Kobolds. As well as, of course, humans. And the problem is, we don't know that much about any of them. How about Konami flesh out the nine non-human races that we have so far rather than trying to cram in more half-baked, animal-man cross-over races? I'd agree to that more than the introduction of yet another new race.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*laughs* no more furries! what would you do if they added "an angel" to the ranks?
think fans would leave.

I guess you are right, maybe they can just make better characters, more Intellegent and cultured Kobolds that look like nice-dogs (not ratty mutts, Boris looks like an Afgand hound)
or maybe a Winger who isn't "shadey" or a creepy fellow. maybe a girl while they are at it. . or an dwarven poet prehaps? You know, breaking steroytypes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

German Sheperd Kobolds :P

I, too, agree that there are a great number of races that we know almost nothing about.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing gnomes. Ever since the David the Gnome show on television, gnomes have had a place in my heart and I wouldn't mind seeing them make an appearance. Even if it was an appearance that they were wiped out it. Fairies would be interesting.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeh, the other poll had Gnombs, faires, rabbit people, angels/demons, and drayds. but I thought to make this one a little more serious for you guys. We've fought faires in Suikoden (well pixies and sprites) so why not have one...even if it dosen't fight. that would be funny, having a farie for "the elevator man". But seriously. I dind't want to throw in to many "element-type" creatures. Its not the "mana" series, so i tryed to stay clear of it.

There are lots of magical beings out there, like centaurs, Minitaursand (can't spell it, the goat-men) so having a small sample is very difficult, choosing an example requires the thinking of "who is best". even if they aren't half aniamal, there are still a lot.
its just fiting them into the "suikoverse" and making it look good that is the problem. regardless if its for a real game or fan fiction. then again, a lot of people seem to be applaled by the Nay-kobolds. mermaids, even if useless live in the sea, so its logical to fish them up. but recruiting them.....thats differnt.
so you never do know.

I wonder if interbreeding is possible, sure its squicky, and stupid. but its just a thought. :P

Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weren't goat-men called satyrs?
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Toad or Frog people all the way. *thinks of Chrono Trigger* Glen was the best character in the entire game.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think they shouldn't make another race, but instead expand on the existing races and "flesh out the species" so to speak.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too bad there isn't an option for "no more damn races" I'd click that....

After ducks and now cats, I'm pretty sick of the new races. From the responses so far, I'm not alone. Wolf Stew, I agree with completly, it makes things too cutesy like a children's storybook.
At least the way Suikoden makes them. I have seen Nekobolds look fearsome or even sexy, but the Nekobolds(Nay-Kobolds) in Suikoden? Gimme a break, wide eyed hunchbacked big-headed cats? :roll:

The series should strive for more mature not less mature characters/themes I think. Leave the talking animals for another game, please! 8-)

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheNeclord wrote:
Too bad there isn't an option for "no more damn races" I'd click that....

there was going to be one, but I desided aginst it. Games have had lots of "races", I created one called "people besteriy" or somthing, where we could discuss our favorite "fantasy races", that appear in games, fiction and the media. it han't had enough attintion, and is posslby long forgoten.

but maybe enough is enough, I'm kind of netural on this subject, if they add a new race make it nice, I like cats, so the nekobolds gave me a chuckle. The ducks, gave me indescrbeable feelings. I mean, Ducks? Lizards I can see, its a fantasy staple.

With this New game on the way I wounder if its safe to say we'll see anything new or not, or just more mermaids and cats. It is possible.

lets just hope Suikoden 5 dosen't give us a rage of "hog-men". It would make me cry. I want to see somthing that touches the soul, prehpas more birds. I liked the bird-men in Shining force, losts of games had "bird men", they are like anthro birds, but with wings. I'm sure lots of people have these things. (I saw one on a MTG card)

Star Dragon Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah me too, the bird men in Shining Force were cool. Exactly what I would imaine in Falena. Fubar race, human like, and super smart and strong.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really care if they add a new race as it stands now, but if I had to choose I'd go with Deer-people. The have those sweet antlers, which have some kind of healing properties in the suikoden world I think. Have similar kinda of lore as that surrounding the shape shifting deers of the native american people (the Cheerokee I think had a belief like this) or the lore around the Hinds of Artemis in Greek mythology. I just thought they had potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: