Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most predictable plot "twist"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Most predictable plot "twist" Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's face it. the plots of games aren't as deep and unpredictable as the developers would like us to believe. What are the plot twists that were supposed to be "ubelievable" and were instead "well it's about time that happened"?

Obviously this topic will have spoilers from various games, so tread lightly. ^_^;

Here are mine:

Final Fantasy VII

Aeris' death. As soon as someone says this was "shocking" or "out of the blue" I realize that one of two things (Possibly even both) has taken place:

1) The person making that statement has no grasp on the literary device of "foreshadowing"

2) The person making that statement either didn't register, or skipped over completely, the many times the many characters said, basically "Thank goodness for Aeris. Aeris is the one last light of hope in this dark world. What, oh what, would we ever do without Aeris."

Lufia (The whole series)

So, the heroine is actually the Sinistral of Death, Erim? What a completely original, shocking revelation! Y'know...In the first game. In Lufia one, I was genuinely shocked the first time I found out Lufia was Erim. In the second one, I knew Iris (Technically not the heroine, but whatever) was Erim the second time I saw her. In the third? It was obvious from the start.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy's betrayal wasn't much of a surprise to me. As soon as I saw him I thought he'd pull some stupid crap. "Best friend" betrayal seems to be fairly common. -_-
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These are games that I just eyerolled at for its predictable plot twists.

Lunar: Luna being Althena just literally screamed at me during various points in the game, whether it's her singing, the clay statue the group made, Ghaleon's constant interest in her powers, the fact that you don't see Althena the goddess during the game, etc.

Final Fantasy X: You know, when I read a magazine article before it was released here, I made an uncanny plot guess. I thought, "Jecht's probably Sin somehow. Whenever family members go missing and they're not proclaimed dead, they're always seen again..." And I was right.

Legend of Dragoon: I was ho hum when they revealed that Shana was the Moon Child, but I was surprised at how Rose was the Black Monster, considering that she did incredibly well to hide the fact.

That's not to say there aren't any astounding plot twists out there that've shocked me, that I had no way of expecting such twists.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

God of War, I knew almost from the get-go that Kratos would replace Ares and that his suicide would be unsuccesful. I also was pretty certain the whole way through that he would die somehow as part of the plot, and a level or two would be dedicated to Hades (best design and worst execution of a level I've seen in a long time).

Vandal Hearts. I know it was probably supposed to be pretty obvious that Leena and Elena are the same person, but dear Lord, it was a lot more obvious than they intended. As soon as I saw Leena for the first time I was absolutely certain how that chapter would finish. I could have practically written the thing in advance.

Suikoden III. While I couldn't "see it coming" perse, it was still a little predictable. The Flame Champion is dead. Plot twist, he's still alive! Plot twist, no, just kidding, he is dead.

Final Fantasy IX. So... Zidane isn't human. No wonder he has a tail.

To tell you the truth, the only games that have left me completely gobsmacked by their plot twists are the Metal Gear Solid games, and maybe Final Fantasy Tactics.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

the only games that have left me completely gobsmacked by their plot twists are the Metal Gear Solid games, and maybe Final Fantasy Tactics.

Metal Gear Solid would anyone (this only excludes Hideo Kojima, and this is because the source of all Metal Gear series) gobsmacked. Take MGS2 for example. Who would have guessed that the Patriots ruled the US? Who would guess that the colonel was an AI?
But it has its predictable part, everyone (and this time is really everyone) knew that Solid Snake was alive and was "disguised" as Iroquois Pliskin (how come? they even aren't alike... :lol: )

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arrg I shouldn't have read this thread, I accidently got spoiled big time.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it says plot twists, you would have to realize that it would really be spoilers inside...

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I know one game that DID do great plot twists. That title belongs to Xenogears hands down. I'll avoid saying anything there just in case people are playing it right now. (Curse you disk 2)

There are times in games when someone will subtlely tell you about a Legendary *insert name here* that hasn't been seen for centuries. Well it usually ends up showing itself around the middle of the plot somewhere.

Taking the Jowy thing further, usually when a member of a family is lost somewhere, usually they end up on the other side at one time or another. Newer games are somewhat breaking from this theme, but a lot continue to apply today.

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
When it says plot twists, you would have to realize that it would really be spoilers inside...

I thought I had known all of them :P I didn't think LoD would be mentioned, but I think I read the Black Monster bit some years ago, so. But still, grr arrg.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of FFX plot twists, I called the "Summoner has to die to defeat Sin" thing somewhere along the Mihen Highway (Or whatever the place with the Chocobo Eater is)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are alot of plot twists that were very obvious. Jowy being the enemy was a give away of a plot twist.

Or Sheik in Ocarina of time was Zelda :shock: OMG She was!!! :lol:
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, at once when I heard of the Summoning in FFX, I knew she'd die during it. I think it's because I watched this anime once (Ninja Cadets I think) where someone did a final summoning and juped into a huge fire and summoned a beast (of course they were consumed by the flames and died). It was not that hard to figure out in FFX.

In The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, it was pretty obvious to me that Tetra was Zelda-like. Having played The Ocarina of Time, I knew about the pointy ear thing which made it very obvious to me. Not that sneaky.

In FFVII, we are led to believe that Nanaki's father was a coward who abandoned Nanaki's mother while she fought bravely against the Gi. Knowing, Nanaki's courage, I didn't believe for a second that his father was a coward. It turned out he was a brave warrior too.

Overall, I think that all plot twists can be protected, but in some games the makers put in a little too much foreshadowing so that you can tell immediately what will happen. It's unfortunate.
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How bout like in Final Fantasy Tactics. I bet everyone knew that Algus wouldinevitably be your enemy and that you'd have to fight your brother.

Another would be in Soulreaver II, it was fairly obvious that Raziel, While he was still human, ended up being the one to kill Janos Audrin. It's just usual generic irony that people like putting into stories... I don't know if anyone else has even played this game. lol
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about Sorry Mario, but our princess is in another castle. After reading that like 7 times, I was like where the hell DID they put her.
Blade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mortal Kombat Deception's Konquest Mode when you find out it was the Dragon King leading you along the whole time, I knew it from the beginning

The best twists ever in a game was the first Knights of the Old Republic.

UberYuber wrote:
Maybe if I keep saying stupid stuff I'll eventually get quoted in a sig!

There ya go UberYuber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: