Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Give me a theme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think will do?
sacrfice
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
"brotherhood"
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
power isn't everything
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
sight and knowage through understanidng
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
love(not like romantic realtionship stuff)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Give me a theme Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if it had its own topic or not, but why not talk about "the theme" of Suikoden 5. Forgive me if its been talked about already, I can't recall if anything I said was here, on other forums in "general what do you want from Suikoden 5". I "get around" so to say.

But here we go.

Since we know the theme of Suikoden 4 was, because of its rune "forgiveness and Atonement" and apparently the theme of the third was "coming together to defeat a common enemy (or so I read/thought). What should this one be? (What were the first two anyway?)

What should "the theme" be, and how do you think it can be incorporated into the plot, given that our "rune speculations are at hand" and "given that the geographical setting is", not to mention 'given the time frame" plus "given Tenkai/hero is xyz". Not to mention any personality they would have, or important characters.

For example, a theme of sacrifice in, turbulent, but no so dark times in "a nice" place, with a little boy is different than, the theme of sacrifice, in a horrible place, tenkai is a she-kobold living in a place that has been at war already for 123 years, with lots of evil people using runes to destroy things to throw their weight around and rule by fear.

Or we can have a theme like "power isn't everything", about loss and gain and knowing what truly matters. In this situation we can, lots of loss of "meaningless" things. Does it really matter if a person is nobility or a peasant? If they have political power or are slaves, if are "the strongest fighter alive" or someone physically weak but is strong in other ways or just normal or "strong in heart"(big buff people are considered powerful am I wrong? While the latter is your "hero you never thought". It is what really matters, things inside, not titles and adornments. Status, power. It isn't everything in a big picture. It could be some arrogant jerk that turns around and sees this by having to help others and stop thinking only people like they matter.
But then explaining it like this makes it sounds like a different topic. Maybe they were powerful and fell, only to need to help others rise.

Or maybe, a theme of understanding and brotherhood. Though some of this could of been seen in Suikoden 3, when they needed to put aside petty differences and band together. But maybe there could have been some people who, were misjudge, mislabeled and exploited or even worse because of it. Would it be best if these relations were between two groups of humans? Or something else. All in all, deep down our "souls are the same". Or it could also be a "smearing the line between black and white". That in it's self is another theme.

*edit* (brother hood could be swaped for "humanity" if needed or can go with)

I forget much of my math class, but the combinations are endless, speculation has no numbers so I can't say how we can shuffle the variables. All I can say is "ok so the theme is...how would it work"
This sounds like making a plot. Hopefully it can act as inspiration.

(forgive me I had my poll fields blank I post a topic but it still wants a poll.. sorry for the stupid poll)

Last edited by kuwaizair on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... I haven't decided on the poll for a theme. For the previous games, I get these impressions of themes:

S1: Maturity
S2: Enduring trials
S3: Unity
S4: Forgiveness

So for Suikoden V, I think something to do with revolution or change would be different. Harmonia would be an obvious setting, but it's far too early to look seriously into Harmonia. Falena could benefit from a revolution, since we're aware of matriarchial abuse towards men, and it doesn't matter to me if a boy or a girl frees the land from corrupt rule. Personally, I'd prefer a girl b/c it's time, but that's for a different thread.

The 'change' can happen with the land, government, and people. Those who refuse change will only get hurt, while those who embrace it must be prepared to give up something, like a habit, a way of thought, etc. It's not blatant 'kill the boy with mysterious powers to save the world' sacrifice, but depending upon the change required for future betterment, it can possibly be devastating. What if Falena had a king installed? What if an incompetent princess was forced to take the political stand against a raging enemy army and you, as the hero, were her only support? Would you let her guide the queendom to failure, or would you disobey the matriarchial law and lead the army yourself? Would the princess accept this? Changes like that would be very interesting to explore in Suikoden, never mind war-theme RPGs.

Sacrifice seems to be a popular theme popping up, but it seems so easy to do. I'm a person who likes creative challenges, and sacrifice seems like a cop out for creative themes, IMO.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose brotherhood because it seemed the most desirable. But if I were to design the next game, it would be given a theme of "Power corrupts, ultimate power corrupts ultimately" I'll be using my nobleman Falena from the setting thread for this one.

Tenkai lives with his noble family in Falena, including his either A)adorable sister, or B)Loving mother. Said female character receives some sort of power (true rune or something) and is immediately taken by the Falenian government, and afformentioned happy family is destroyed. Tenkai is enslaved while the other members of his family (aside from female prisoner) are killed. Tenkai is made to fight as a gladiator while unaware of the fact that the female prisoner has begun to become respected in Falena. Tenkai starts a slave rebellion and takes out he government, only to find that towards the end, it was his "Adorable sister/loving mother" corrupted by the power of her "true rune" and turned into an evil nutcase. Tenkai must now deal with the fact that in the place of an evil government, his benevolent female relative has established a matriarchy that dwarfs the evil acts of the former tyrant. Using the remnants of his slave rebellion, Tenkai mounts an assault on wonderful female relative and is victorious. (At some point or another he could've acquired a true rune)

Sound good to you?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me brotherhood seems to be the most viable of the options and does not seem too farfetched (Which none of the choices are.)

I feel that brotherhood would allow the characters to build a strong background and army through overcoming petty differences or years of war to fight a common foe. The cause being one that would naturally draw those dissatisfied with the current situation in whatever place the stafff chooses for the game to take place in. Location would not necessarily be important. Although I would certainly enjoy seeing the setting in an area new to us. A place like the Nameless Lands or Falena. I also wouldn't object to a direct sequel to Suikoden IV because there is certainly plenty of room for such a thing.

If it were to take place directly after the story of IV, then it could be a setting in which Gaien decides to go on an offensive against the Island Nations Federation/Kooluk who have just recently been at war. Also, a war with Falena being drawn in would not be farfetched either. I certainly do not think that the same hero would used from IV in such a scenario as his situation with the rune has already been taken care of. I believe that a new Tenkai would emerge and the hero from the previous game would offer his assistance to the anti-Gaien forces.

It could involve the INF (Island Nations Federation) and Kooluk joining together after their war which happened so recently. No time to let wounds fester, both nations would quickly have to disregard their prejudices at the drop of a hat. Falena could come in as the metaphorical glue to hold the two nations together.

Such a setting would enable players to see a vast amount of the Suikoden world if the characters moved from country to country they would be able to see parts of Kooluk, Falena, and Gaien. The staff would be able to give them a more in depth perspective of the INF and possibly even include the SME. I am probably elaborating too much but all countries being in such close proximity it is not a preposterous idea.

I don't really know if this is that good of an idea but I personally liked it quite a bit. It was very fun thinking about it and elaborating on it as well. I hope you like it as much as I did. :P
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow, I like those. I can almost feel them. Pretty good work you have there guys. I hope to see more from the rest of the members.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think brotherhood (or humanity) is a good idea. Actually, the brotherhood essence of suikoden III is the only thing that makes me like it. The characters in the story (the sexens, the lizards,the karayans, the dwarfs and the mercenaries and maybe a small regiment of harmonians) decided to forget about old wounds and deep seated grudges to fight an army that threatens them all. I really liked the thought of them fighting side by side against an army far stronger than them. I would like to see more of these brotherhood themes in the fifth game if it is possible. But I like the theme of sacrifice too. For me, it's very touching and it generates memorable sad scenes for the game.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thinking between sacrifice or sight and knowledge through understanding. But i felt that since there weren't any characters that died in IV, there should be some compensation! :twisted:

Ok, ok, seriously, i think that there would be some importance in sacfrifice. It will not be about human sacrifice, or giving up you life for something better (not neccessarily), but about giving up the approprate things for the desired goal. Such sacrifices would be like, the sacrifice of vanity, the sacrifice of money, stuff like that.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose to vote for power isnt everything. I don't know that a true rune could be like that, but if it was, it would be weak or for healing. I would also like a Suikoden that is harder than the ones that are out now, so a weak true rune would be great.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
I chose to vote for power isnt everything. I don't know that a true rune could be like that, but if it was, it would be weak or for healing. I would also like a Suikoden that is harder than the ones that are out now, so a weak true rune would be great.

Rune of rending and mending may work. That is if you go with the duality aspect of true runes. The Rune of Punishment is the rune of Atonement and Forgiveness and the Soul Eater is the Rune of Life and Death. So, why couldn't there be a rune of something similar like the Rune of Rending and Mending. I guess I just like it because it's catchy but there has yet to be a rune of destruction and rebirth. It would also fit in perfectly with the suikoden plot and the staff would be able to take it a step further and you would be involved in the healing process of the game that we see so little of. As in Suikoden II we saw the Toran Republic when they were fairly well situated and past the worst of their post war trauma.

I think it would be interesting to make decisions in the post war mayhem that would affect the outcome of the country's healing process. That is only because I am curious as to how problems are resolved in the few months after the war is ended and I think it would be a interesting scenario to elaborate on the events that take place after the war. It would be interesting to view the turmoil and decision making that occurs after nations are toppled and a new government is set up in its place.

That was quite a bit of thought based on just a sentence :p
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But i felt that since there weren't any characters that died in IV

Commander Glen, Bradeau, and Assassin weren't enough? Also Kika's, Warlock's, and someone else's ending included their death.

Anyway, I'm sticking with either brotherhood or Corruption.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Commander Glen, Bradeau, and Assassin weren't enough? Also Kika's, Warlock's, and someone else's ending included their death.

Maybe Starslasher meant that no star of destiny died in Suikoden IV unlike in the previous Suikodens. Oh and I think the other one that you meant was aldo. Are you referring to Ramada when you said Assassin? Becuase if he is the one, I though he survived...not sure though... :D

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ramada did survive, assassin was the little dude that ran around screaming that everyone was about to die when Brandeau was about to unleash the Rune of Punishment, it's also the scene in which Hero IV (Konami or Dennis, choose your own preference) is protected by that green glow we see.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Last edited by Exile on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Ramada did survive, assassin was the little dude that ran around screaming that everyone was about to die when Bradneau was about to unleash the Rune of Punishment, it's also the scene in which Hero IV (Konami or Dennis, choose your own preference) is protected by that green glow we see.

Oh, I see, thanks for the bit of information, I seem to have forgotten the little guy. Maybe it's because he played such a little role... thanks for correcting me PF! :wink:

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeh, we needed an Odessa, a Gremio in 4.

anway with Power isn't everything Its kind of like beind dethrowed of status, as I explaned. does it matter if you are a peasent farmer or a noble, and what if two were friends and they both becamse lost or captured as slaves, or somthing. their whole world comes upside down.

or maybe a theme of standing up for your own belifes, and not living by other's dictions. like jumping when you think so, not somone says so because you have no choise. this could apply for somone making your character do things...like kill, steal and what not. do wrong things. somthing -like that-.

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And then, we could get something among the lines of Sword of Mana (spoiler) a noble's son which gets captured and is forced o compete in the arena against his own will.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: