Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Any Mudders out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Any Mudders out there? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll admit it, I am entranced by the phenomenon known as Mudding. I can't think of any games that are more dynamic or exciting to play. For those that don't know, a MUD is a text based game that you play with other players from around the world. It can be run on Telnet, which comes with most Windows systems as far as I know, or on a better, dedicated MUD client. Basically, the MUD is another world that you can immerse yourself in, much like any RPG. However, this is a story played out in real time, that does not have any linear path set out for the players. It is like a choose your own adventure novel, except that you can choose just about anything you want. It's really the best kind of game you can play, because you get total control of your character in every aspect, and get to decide what their life is in its entirety.

Currently, I am mostly playing Shadows Of Isildur which is a MUD set in the world of JRR Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings". It is an RPI MUD, as are most of the MUD's that I will even consider playing. RPI stands for Role-Playing Intensive; basically, you remain in character the entire time you are playing. Shadows of Isildur is set in the Third Age of Middle Earth, focusing on the conflict between Gondor and Minas Morgul. This is before the return of Sauron to Mordor, so the Witchking is the overlord of the dark forces. Osgiliath has not yet fallen to the East, but it will within the next few years, according to the chronology. Players can choose to start out on each side, and join the battle for Middle-Earth. However, what makes this MUD even better, is that you don't have to join the battle either. You can play out a life as a backer, or a clothier, or a blacksmith, and each of these professions are given just as much coded support as a soldier role. In fact, many of the opportunities of the game are given to those people that take a more "normal" life than the boy whose parents are killed by orcs, so he takes up the sword, practices for nine years, and joins the army :P

Another MUD that I'm keeping my eye on is Etherea, a mud that is currently in development. It is being created by the man who started SOI, and SOI is a fabulous MUD. The ideas that are floating around on this one sound fabulous, and I reccomend that anyone that has any interest in MUD's join in the discussion to what this entirely unique MUD should be made up of. It is a chance to see those features that you always wanted implemented, for your own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others.

So, what MUDs do other people on the forums enjoy? Feel free to list them, and tell why you like them. I also hope that I'm not the only one here who knows what a MUD is...but I think I'm probably clear on that. Oh, and check out the MUDs that I linked to, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have fun, if you enjoy a good story at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: