Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: The Nature of Hikusaak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor, you say it sounds like a friendly discussion. My question is... why isn't it? Yes, SARS wanted feedback, showing that people either would love or hate this article... but I don't see why it wasn't just begun as a thread here. It could, just as easily, been posted by SARS in the Character Discussion forum, and had us all discuss what we thought of it in that sort of forum. The last editorial we saw was SARS' "My Apologies Concerning Georg," a very detailed, fleshed out, and most importantly accurate article. Even though there is still a lot we don't know, SARS presented that fact and then moved on to discuss what we did know about him.

That is the sort of thing I expect an editorial to be, I guess. I want them at least to have that degree of professionalism, otherwise they belong on the forum itself.

Oh, as for the Circle Rune, there is always that image I found on the GS3 website. It's not a Rune, but it's very likely based off the Rune :) I'm sure someone could adapt it to be more Rune-like and make the claim that it -is- the Circle Rune.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should read editorials on some newspapers (even major ones)!
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear what you're saying, but this site isn't renowned for it's profesionalism (no offence Ted). Take the Theory section. Even some of the editorials, Pesmerga Sucks Ass for example, and even Makai's Political Maneuvers to an extent, are more for fun than seriousness. While SARS writes these in a very profesional manner, but that's not the only way to read them.

There is little to no evidence surrounding Hikusaak, so writing a "pro" article would do little other than to sound "pro" and come up with a zip conclusion.

I think the style reflected well the subject matter - mostly speculation on speculations - which is not typically professional.

If a pro article was written, I doubt the content would be much better other than a continual speculation, but with no facts or real information to back it up, would result in mostly a block of text that is quite stale to read.

Quote:
Oh, as for the Circle Rune, there is always that image I found on the GS3 website. It's not a Rune, but it's very likely based off the Rune I'm sure someone could adapt it to be more Rune-like and make the claim that it -is- the Circle Rune.

That's the one I meant lol

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
You should read editorials on some newspapers (even major ones)!

That's why I don't read bad newspaper editorials but I do read the previous articles here. "Everyone else does it!" isn't really a valid reason for an editorial to be devoid of anything factual and concrete.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you for your feedback John, I appreciate it.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right from webster

Quote:
1. An article in a publication expressing the opinion of its editors or publishers.
2. A commentary on television or radio expressing the opinion of the station or network

No where in that definition does it say there had to be any facts. An Editorial is an opinion. Which is what this is.

And now knowing it was written as a journal entry and then turned into a editorial without out any revising, gives reason to it's writing style, which wasn't bad to begin with.

And Harukaze... what you said about it becoming a discussion.... isn't that what this thread is for? SARS wanted those three questions answers but he did't say you couldn't discuss it afterwards, did he?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Thank you for your feedback John, I appreciate it.

I hope that's not a sly "Shut up, John" :wink: Just kidding.

It may look like I'm taking punches at the article so I'll just add that it would work well in an enviorment that wasn't perviously always factually based. In fact, it would work better as a non-joke Speculation Shelter article more so than an editorial. I just don't think this gels with, say, "My Apologies Concerning Georg", "Makai's Political Maneuvers" or "Thoughts on Bizarre Suikoden Technology".
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was a great editorial. I wondered what Hiksuaak might be like, but this editorial put a new idea in my head. I appreciate that!
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I know that many people like articles about specific characters, but how did you like having a guest writer?

I dont mind who writes the article as long as they are well written. This article was well written.

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

I liked all the facts, well either know or unknown. It was all new information to me.

3. Did the article change your perception of Hikusaak or any other character/place/historical period? Why/why not?

No, not at all. I did not know much about Hikusaak to begin with.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I know that many people like articles about specific characters, but how did you like having a guest writer?

This particular guest writer was quite good. I had no trouble about it being informal. It's apparent that this guy did his homework.

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

If there was anything to note, it was that there was certainly a whole lot of guesswork. Not that it was bad or anything.

3. Did the article change your perception of Hikusaak or any other character/place/historical period? Why/why not?

It gave me a good idea about Hikusaak. I didn't think of him as a previous Star od Destiny, but it seemed to fit him. For that, it had changed my perception of Hikusaak.

Speaking of which, it was given here was Hikusaak was probably a Tenkai star in the Hero War. Well, i would think that he was more of a Tengou star. This star correlates to Lepant, Ridley/Boris, Sarasai and Lino en Kuldes. I would think so because He is a symbol of authority. And more because he became the leader of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, just as Lepant became the president of the Toran Republic, and Lino led the Island Nations Federation. Just a thought.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to really discuss your post Starslasher, but Lino en Kuldes and Lepant never actually led the war. By the sounds of it, "One Hero" and such similar remarks, it would be safer to assume that Hikusaak actually led the original war against Aronia to form Harmonia. He is also the bearer of the Circle Rune - but whether he had it at the time of the rebellion is unknown, if he did, it would certainly fit in with the plots of the Hero of the wars leading the rebellion/joining the nation.

Saying that though, neither Chris, Hugo or Geddoe were Tenkai stars, and they led their armies and unified the Grasslands and Zexen (well not both of them together) so I guess it's not out of the question to say that Hikusaak was not the Tenkai star.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't say that they led in the war. I just said that they ruled over the new nation. Lepant didn't lead the war, but he ruled over the newly created Toran Republic. Lino didn't lead in the war, but i said that he ruled over the newly created Island Nations Federation.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Editorial: The Nature of Hikusaak Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I loved it, having guest writers is a great idea, because not only does it give us a different writing style, but a whole new perspective from the Suikoden world (not meaning to be offensive, but if all the editorials were only from Sars, I don't know which adjective defines this situation better that a "one sided" argument)
And of course, the fact that the community bonds strenghten, because it gives the hope that if what we write is good enough, we may get a spot on Suikox!

2. I liked the sense of humour in it, and how the writer doesn't mind forgetting little details, like anabelle's (or however its written xD), the mayor of muse, name.
There isn't particulary anything I dislike, if I should be pissed of at someone it would be with Konami, because of how little info of the great "Saak" is out there.

3. Of course it did! Myaru thought of things I didn't have in mind, and not only that, those things also made me think about the Suikoden world, and invent my own crazy theories, which is in my opinion the most valuable thing of editorials, and the feedback they permit.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I didn't say that they led in the war. I just said that they ruled over the new nation. Lepant didn't lead the war, but he ruled over the newly created Toran Republic. Lino didn't lead in the war, but i said that he ruled over the newly created Island Nations Federation.

I never said you did either. If you read my post, I said that they never led the war. By the sounds of the Hero War, Hikusaak did. This would not seem in keeping with the style of the Tengou star who don't actually lead the war - they're strong generals.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh ok. But you still can't deny that Hikusaak allegedly ruled Harmonia afterwards. he didn't flee like the other heroes into a journey somewhere else. He stayed, as did the other Tengou star guys. Well, the majority of them.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: