Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: The Nature of Hikusaak
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Editorial: The Nature of Hikusaak Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--
http://www.suikox.com/ed/harmonia50529.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. I know that many people like articles about specific characters, but how did you like having a guest writer?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article change your perception of Hikusaak or any other character/place/historical period? Why/why not?
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I know that many people like articles about specific characters, but how did you like having a guest writer?

The writer made little difference to me as he/she seemed competant enough in Suiko knowledge to present a decent point. I don't care who writes the article, as long as it's well done.

The inclusion of certain unknown facts (such as the social class flipping) was pleasant, as I always enjoy learning something new about Suikoden. THe only complaint I have is that writer seemed more intent on convincing us that he'she knew nothing than telling us a theory about Hikusaak.

3. Did the article change your perception of Hikusaak or any other character/place/historical period? Why/why not?

Due to the small amount of confirmed facts in this article, my perception has not changed on anything, if anything it just gave me an outlet to come up with more wild theories about Hikusaak.

My two cents:

If the theory of the ruler of Aronia having the circle rune turns out to be true, then it would make sense for Hikusaak to go into hiding as the will of the rune (stagnation and all) would most likely force him into a paranoia of the same thing happening to him.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked it. Doesn't really matter to me either way.

It was formal and I liked that. It was well-written and supported by facts. Since I never finished Suikoden II, a can't say how accurate it is. There is some good speculation there, but nothing completely out of nowhere.

Well, I didn't know about Aronia (sp?) and I never really knew about Hikusaak at all. I've heard of his name, but I don't ever remember anything about him coming form an actual game.

I know my input is kinda unneccesary, because I don't know enough, but I wanted to share it anyway,
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, probably work better with a stronger article

Long winded, drawn out and inconclusive. The article basically boiled down to a theory that even the biggest Suikoden newbies make at some point or another: Hikusaak was a Tenkai. It's information was sketchy (I've never heard of this "reversing the social order". Without it being common knowledge a source should also be used. Otherwise it's speculation.) Essentially, it IS its source, an idea for a story.

This is all very negative as it's an interesting read but when you compare it to previous editorials which can provoke such interest and rethinking of established facts by USING those established facts, it doesn't hold up well.

No. Speculation doesn't change my perception of anything. I felt more like I was reading the logic behind the story more than anything else. The Mechanics Behind My Fan Fiction, maybe?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Truth be told, I do not mind who writes the stuff so long as it interests me.

Here is where the problem starts. Though I had earlier mentioned I do not mind who writes the stuff, I would really hope that the editiorials had more truth (not really truth, so to speak, but to have more than just pure speculation) to them. Picking this particular topic is undoubtly difficult, but this seems more like "How I made my Fanfic" then anything else.

Perhaps the writer should link more to the games rather than just come up with a story of his own. The Aronia theory was pretty well thought out, really, but like I said, it should have more refence to what Konami has given.

Imagination is a good thing, but if you do not have the power to stretch it, stick with the basics, or go do a fanfic.

I had never had much opinion on Hikusaak, except that he seems to be power hungry ruler. Since this article is based on speculation, it hasn't changed much.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't care who writes the articles as long as the articles are good. I found the writing in this article to be pretty poor, really, it was difficult to read at times by merit of poor organization of thoughts. Also, there was very little evidence, or at least, very little evidence that was supported with sources of any kind.

My perception of Hikusaak is unchanged.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This was a very good article for me.

1. I enjoyed reading the views of a guest writer who looks at things from a different perspective, and hopefully we will see more in the future.

2. One thing I liked was the theory that he was once a Tenkai star.

3. This article did not change my perspective on Hikusaak in any way, but it was a very good write up.

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ironic... I know I submitted something about the same topic beforehand as an editorial to SARSadmin. Not sure if he got it, though... I might as well link up what I had written beforehand so everyone can compare and contrast, if they so please.

As for having a guest writer, I'm all for it. I think it's an awesome / wonderful idea. Not only does it give us fresh, new perspectives, it also eases some of the work on our old pal SARS here so he doesn't have to be the one doing ALL the work. :P

Since I submitted something similar to this beforehand, I won't comment too much on this. My perceptions on him pretty much follow what I posted previously, so like I said, I'll link this to you, and you can read for yourselves.

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38872#38872

Hope you enjoy.

NOTE: I used to be called "Blue Lightning Flik," so that's why people quoted me as "Flik." ALSO, since this thread is supposed to be about the editorial on the main page, you should probably PM me with your thoughts on my work.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I think I have to agree with a few of the others here that the article was not very well presented. It doesn't matter to me at all that it was not SARSadmin who wrote it - I would very much welcome more guest writers - but it does matter to me that it sounds like this fellow is trying to converse with us rather than to write an editorial. This belongs as a thread on the forum, not as a webpage editorial.

2. Well, I already sort of said what I disliked. I did like the theory, but as has been pointed out, it's just a theory. In particular, this:
This is all speculation. I tried to be careful, but some of the 'facts' may not be as factual as I think they are. I haven't kept track. Who knew I'd talk so much about something I know nothing about? (Shut up.) simply does not belong in an editorial.

3. Unfortunately no, it didn't really shed light on anything that either I didn't think for myself or I didn't see elsewhere on this forum.

Side note: the woman he's looking for is Annabelle, and the word he's looking for, for what the Rune can do, is calcify. Yes, I'm stealing it from Werewolf: the Apocalypse, but I looked it up in M-W: it is very likely the best word to describe forcing order on something to the point of stagnancy.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like all types of informitive or opinionated articles and the writer certainly had some good and interesting ideas. Whether they are factual or not doesn't matter to me.

I found it very easy to read unlike others because it closes matches my own essay style of writing, but I can't say alot about it because I liked it for what it is.

Here's where the big impact incurs for me, I fervently try to stay away from Harmonian History, as there is alot to it, and half of it isn't confirmed. Also I enjoy Dunan, and SME's history more because the characters that I relate to the most are from or have stayed in those countries. But all in all it has given me alot to think about as far as Hikusaak and Harmonia is concered. Plus Aronia is a really spiffy name, which I'm adopting from here on out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For everyone who's commented about the rampart speculation and lack of facts in the "editorial", one should remember that this was actually originally a journal entry, not an actual submitted article for the sole purpose of being posted on this site. The original content was written on November 10, 2004, and was not reformatted as an "editorial" in the sense that one may read from the local newspaper.

That's why there are disclaimers that indicate that this article is speculation - it's because it is. It's more a hypothesis than it is a theory, and is really meant more to stir up discussion about Hikusaak and his rise to power than it is to try to argue a point of view based on concrete evidence.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Part of the reason why I asked Myaru if I can use her writing is because people either love it or hate it (which is always a sign of great writing). I think the feedback so far confirms this.

Thanks for the feedback.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't particuarly mind guest writers. In fact, it can be a nice change to see many different writing styles.

I am but a simple person, and I would've prefered more random art - like the "Hikusaak" picture.

I did like the style to be honest. While the assumptions and facts should have been evidenced with links and/or quotes, I liked the writing format - it felt like a friendly discussion.

Not really, as I've said before. The article was an interesting read, but without real proof of some points (noteable the slavery reversal) I remain sceptical. I still think of Hikusaak as a Tenkai and still think he's become stagnant.
But - it did make Hikusaak feel more approachable somewhat. That he was actually a real person as opposed to a mystical figurehead that we don't know much about.
Even though it's not much light, it's still some light that was shed on the mystery.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I did look for some "Hikusaak" art, but you'd be surprised how few people have tried drawing Hikusaak. The only ones I found were not up to the quality level I can accept. It seems as though hundreds of artist have no problem drawing Luc and Sasarai 100 times, while somehow not having the interest to draw Hikusaak, who should look pretty much the same.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I didn't figure for art work of Hikusaak alot, but there are images of Circles that could be easily made into Circle Rune images.

Or a quick diagram about the stagnation ditty.

Something to make my eyes widden with boyish glee.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: