Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your current educational situation.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11328371 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just thinking the exact thing as what Arcana said.

At my workplace, there's a guy who has a Ph.D in chemical engineering who is hiding this fact so that he can keep his job as a lowly software developer. As a chemical engineer, he's specialized in technology involving coal, and thus he can not find any work elsewhere if he used his degree. It's pretty sad.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea I am well aware of over qualification for certain job positions and I do keep that in mind, however a PhD in a broad area such as Management or Marketing can be applied to MANY different fields and as my dream job I would want to manage a game development team as well as work on the overall product myself but mainly just to manage the progress. If I manage to find sufficient funding and a team passionate enough and willing to pull through I may some day even start my own development studio provided I am capable of getting the resources and certain contacts.

A PhD enables me to GET work in pretty much any university around the world as a lecturer (which makes decent cash) which would be something to fall back on whilst I'm pushing through to achieve my true goals.

I'm unsure what exactly you mean by "normal job" as that is precisely something I DON'T want out of life. I don't want to be stuck nine to five, five days a week doing a dead end job which I don't even like. I'll push until I get where I'm going and I won't stop until I get there.

A doctorate does restrict you in certain ways; however it does open new doors and opportunities with it. Like I said, a PhD is a possibility but not a certainty and as such I'll wait to get the MBA out of the way before I decide if I should proceed with further studies (well I should get my degree out of the way first :mrgreen: ).
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See, this is why I'm majoring in the liberal arts - I can NEVER be overqualified for anything. :D Ever.

I'd like to get a masters mainly so I could teach in a uni, or get a nice pay raise (so, you know, a livable wage in most urban areas) for a high school job...but even if I could afford it, I think I am kind of afraid to plan to go through with it, though, because I think many high schools will not hire you if you have a masters, as your pay scale is much higher than someone who has only a bachalors. From what I've heard, it's best not to go for it until you find a school that you're willing to stay with for more or less the rest of your life; either your experience or your degree or both will make any other school extremely hesitant to hire you and you will likely be shut out of consideration entirely. (Of course, most of that is heard from the grapevine, but...it does unforutnately make sense. )

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masters != Ph.D. A Master's degree is usually an excellent way to raise yourself on the pay scale. However, in the United States you almost never ever do research-based Masters Degrees, and instead do mostly coursework/professional degrees. A Master's degree in research is a consolation prize for someone who couldn't get a Ph.D.

A Ph.D. is too, but you're limited to a narrow field. Do they even GIVE out Ph.D.s in Management and Marketing? There's management science and business administration, but a Master's of Business Administration (MBA) is mainly course-work, not a research-based degree, and a Ph.D. in ANYTHING is going to heavily be based on research.

That all said, a Ph.D. usually tends to be a GREAT qualification to have when you're starting your own business, especially if you've created some great intellectual property that you can make into a marketable product. Even then, if you REALLY wanted to be a game developer, you probably should have been in computer science. Developers are programmers, after all, and managers who have no software development experience rarely get opportunities to go up to the plate. I suppose Systems Development will work if you get a lot of software engineering and systems design experience there.
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

taking BSArchitecture (5 years) in my first sem....

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ed_20

The Stampede

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This coming schoolyear as a freshman I'm taking the course BsInformation technology.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KonRei wrote:

Great choice. What College / University (Country for that matter) are you doing the course in??

I did the four year Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology here in Ireland. The cousre is more technical driven rather than design driven.
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goldmember wrote:
KonRei wrote:

Great choice. What College / University (Country for that matter) are you doing the course in??

I did the four year Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology here in Ireland. The cousre is more technical driven rather than design driven.

Columban College in the Philippines.....I saw my application and it has designs like industrial and mechanical....

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a masters of science in ergonomics, I work for a company that makes air-tight chambers for high-pressure environments (for deep-sea or aero-space purposes). The masters program was pretty tough but I managed to pull through with really good grades! It was definitely worth it, because my job is pretty easy as long as I know what I'm doing. I'm usually pretty bored or just talk with people at work (or browse the net).
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I graudated high school in 1995. I was fourth in my class. That was because I was an excellent cheater. I knew my stuff, but I was more interested in recognizing patterns in testing structures and exploiting them. I am a fantastic test-taker. (BTW, for all you students out there, in my experience the "C Trick" works, only it's "B" now.) Sometimes I would flat out cheat, but I only did that on my economics final (and that was only to help out a friend of mine ... she needed an 89 on the final to graduate and there was no way she was going to get that on her own) and the AP Biology exam (which I got a 5 on, but I would have gotten that anyway).

I did receive several musical and dramatic awards/mini-scholarships but I missed All-State chorus in high school because of sight-reading. I got a 90/100 and they took tenors that year with a 95. I lost 5 points in sight reading. If I would have nailed it (which I could have) I would have made All-State and probably have pursued voice in college, but instead...

I graduated from the University of South Carolina Honors College in 1999 with a BA in Journalism. I had enough credits to double major in Journalism and Theatre, but the Journalism school said no. Oh, well. I just missed cum laude by .15 points on my GPA (3.35 and I needed a 3.5). No, I didn't cheat in college. Not once. I always seem to just fall short. Speaking of which...

the black knight wrote
Quote:
Im a seventh grader, moving up to 8th on June 23rd.

Dear God! I got my butt handed to me in the tournament prelims by a 13-year-old!!!! I'm more than double your age!!!! This is embarassing! j/k :)

SARSAdmin wrote
I
Quote:
do often wonder if I should go back to school to get some advanced degrees

I've often considered that myself. There's no money in Journalism, so most likely I would go for my MFA in theatre, then get my Equity card and start auditioning for national tours. Then Broadway ... :). I'm not above taking chorus roles (unlike some Equity people I've worked with), but I'd need to lose a signifcant amount of weight in order for my body to catch up to my voice type. If I was 50 the roles would be pouring in, but there isn't much out ther for an overweight 27-year-old.

The bank I work for has a nice tuition reimbursement plan. I'm leaning towards making a long-term commitment to the place so maybe some courses in marketing, business and finance would be a good idea.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am currently a second and third year student at Curtin University in Perth, Australia. It's the 76th Best University in the world ^_^. I would have liked to go to Melbourne with all of the high school friends, but i had to immigrate here with my family. Me dad's starting business here, since it's a quiet place and probably has little competition. So, yes, i'm still living with my parents. But that will change once i get my Bachelors in Engineering (Mechanical). It's kind of irritating when people hear that you're doing a degree in engineering and they go "Oh! You must be so smart! Please fix my fridge, Mr. Engineer." :x But i was told that the hardest thing of being an engineer was studying for it, so i'll bear with it.

I am only looking to do an MBA afterwards, but i don't care to get a PhD. As Arcana said, it's more for the sake of learning.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a high school graduate and I'm currently on a looong break. I'm going to community college in the fall of 2006, where I will study to be a paralegal =D A year ago though, my main motivation to work, was the hope of becoming a veterinarian technician, although my hopes were dashed when I found out that I needed many classes to get into the program, classes I had not taken. If only I knew beforehand. Oh well, I am a horrible math and science student anyway. Paralegal is much better suited for me as an occupation I guess...

Maybe someday, after acquiring years of experience, I'll go to university and study to be an attorney :P i most certainly have the arguementative (is that a word?) skills for it, but I'm...shy. But who knows. Maybe I'll get into aquaculture or something.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The word you're probably looking for is "debating" skills. But i would like to go into aquaculture. But I failed biology ( And i take physics, Chemistry and maths for my majors :oops: ). But i'm planning to be a water engineer. I think it would be more fun for me, staying near the ocean. I had most of my life.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im on second year of Law school, If everything goes smoothly I should get my degree in 4 years.

And after that I will sue you all for making me post here instead of lecturing me on how I should be studying for the Exam I have on tuesday. xD
Blackwind

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a degree in Law inforcement. and i'm have way to my law degree as well as a psycoligy plus I do have an asociates degree in theolegy.

I just keep taking new classes and have no real plans to ever leave the university. As long As I can pay for classes I'll keep taking new ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: