Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your current educational situation.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am currently getting ready to go back to school this summer term, where I will get my Associate of Applied Science Degree. To put in in terms that everyone will understand I am going to school to become an auto mechanic.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kohaku wrote:
I like what I'm studying right now, even though my grades are pretty so-so, and this week is the final exam. I pretty sure that I won't pass the accounting exam, so I guess next year I could only take 18 credits, oh well.

Kohaku! Don't come here! If you see this, turn off the computer! You should be studying.

SARS, go for an advanced degree. I think you should.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently a first year at the University of Melbourne studying a Bachelor of Arts and concurrent Diploma of Modern Languages (Japanese). My Japanese units are pretty much set, but hopefully by the time I graduate I should be at the kind of level where I could translate professionally. As for my BA units, well I am doing a mixture of things but mostly focused around Politics (both domestic and international); I know most of the units I want to study and a lot of them will be focused on minority groups, discrimination, equality, though I'm also doing first year Psychology, too.

I don't know how long I'll end up studying for but doing an Honours year is not out of the question, nor is getting my Masters or PhD. I almost definitely want to do a year of exchange but I'm not sure exactly where yet. How long I end up studying for is partially dependent on whether or not I am easily able to get into employment at the end of my degree. I do want to end up doing something related to the politics/ sociology of discrimination, though; I do want to try and "make the world a better place". Just how I'll do that is yet to be seen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I recently completed my third year at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, though I am still technically a junior going into the next fall. (I'm short like 6 credits to be considered a senior, which is okay because I needed to take an extra semester after the four-year plan because my major's requirements are kinda goofy.) I'm majoring in Psychology, but I'm not looking at any careers in that field. MAYBE as a researcher or something in the field, because I definitely don't want to use my knowledge to sit in an armchair and have 40-year old men cry about their childhood to me.

What's weird is I kinda want to be a writer, but I haven't taken any classes in that area yet... so maybe I'll take a class or two as electives down the road and see where I'm at.

I just completed one of those semesters where two weeks into it I stopped caring. In fact, I read Outlaws of the Marsh in some of the lectures which I absolutely couldn't stand. I never studied (except for 10 minutes before the actual test). I think I got C's on all five of my final exams. After all that, somehow, I still ended up with four B's and one A. *shrug* Apathy works!

The good news is I finished all but three of my required classes, so my next three semesters are going to be filled with electives! Should be awesome. I'll be taking Intro to Film, Intro to Business, and Music Appreciation next semester on top of a few more Psych classes. Next spring I might take mountain climbing, tae kwon do, advanced sitcom watching, and glass blowing 101 (the last two are not real classes at UNLV).

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished my sophmore year in highschool a few days ago. Now I am going to summer school to lift weights.

My grades were all good (mostly A's and a few B's) and I am just going to summer school for the fun of it and meet up with a few friends.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:

If I do that, I'd probably have to close this site though!
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I graduated last June. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Architectural Technology, with First Class Honours (i just had to stick that bit in there)
I am working at the monent but i hope to go back in a few years time when the new course, Masters in Sustainable Architecture, is set up. Chances are i might be able to do that course part-time and still work so at least i wont be broke!
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am currently saving up my money so that this September I can go back to school where I will be studying to eventually get my career of choice. Which unfortunately has not been one hundred percent confirmed at the very moment. I mean i am sure I will figure out what exactly I will be looking to do by then but right now I am not worrying about it. I am merely right now focusing on saving my money I am doing a pretty decent job of saving my money so far and hey things are looking up for yours truly when it comes to my education.

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Everyone's Grudge wrote:

If I do that, I'd probably have to close this site though!

What area of study?
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be starting my senior years in highschool this june 6. Then i think i'll take up philosophy and be a lawyer...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:

What area of study?

MBA (Masters in Business Administration)

Either that, or maybe a M.Div just to make people puzzled.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Either that, or maybe a M.Div just to make people puzzled.

Well, you puzzled me all right. I think you can go to get an advanced degree and still run this place. You'd have to let more others have more responsibilities, but I think it could work.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hoo, I've had an embarrasing education after 12th grade. I went to the Graphic Design program after finishing highschool, but I totally failed it. I'm not going to lie here, but I had FIVE 'F's on my second semester report card! God, it was horrible... but I've moved on. It helped me decide once and for all that Graphic Design wasn't my path.

I just finished a second year at the same school in the Chef Training program, but once again I fell short. Nowhere near as disastrous as Graphic Design, but I failed two important classes for the certificate. Now I'm planning to save enough money to retake those two classes so I can get the certificate, but I have to wait until January. After that, I'm tired of school and I intend to do some work, then just go from there.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Well, you puzzled me all right. I think you can go to get an advanced degree and still run this place. You'd have to let more others have more responsibilities, but I think it could work.

Unfortunately this wouldn't work with an MBA. The workload is simply too huge, even without work and running a site. If he did manage to do all three, then.... dayamn.

Anyways, I'm doing my fourth and final (hopefully) year at University of Canterbury. I'm majoring in Systems Development and Design and IT although I'll be starting my MBA next year and will most likely get into Management and Marketing sectors. I've taken a hell of a lot of subjects ranging from Computer science, psychology, philosophy, classical studies, mathematics, hip hop studies, rock 'n' roll culture, film studies and many more so I can actually relate to quite a few people here and their degrees.

@ Njord: Don't worry about your degree too much. I started out with a Computer Science and Psychology double major but decided to switch after the first year due to intense boredom. Whatever you though, doesn't necessarily determine your career path. I've got friends who left university with an arts degree to become managers in an accounting firm. They say that you learn more about your field of study during the first year of work than you do through three years of study at university so don't be too hard on yourself as even if you come out with your computer science degree, you'll have to get prove yourself to your boss in whatever field you get into for the rest of your life. :p

Well, I'll take this a little bit further and elaborate a little on my future goals (where I hope this degree actually takes me) as that is really the reason to take these courses in the first place. Currently whilst at university I'm working part time as an IT technician for the university (decent pay and hours too :D) so when I finish IT or Systems Development will probably be the field of choice for the first few years until I build up a rep and gain some valuable true work experience. I don't really care much what I do for the next ten years but by the time I'm 30 I'd like to be in charge of my own team in game development (not own a company or anything but just have a team working on a game of my choice).

I have considered doing a PhD in either Management or Marketing after my MBA as I could have my doctorate by the time I'm 25 giving me five years to reach my goal and build up sufficient work experience. Either way, I'm gunning for that game developer goal and will hopefully some day get into the industry. :mrgreen:
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you want to be a game developer, or if you want to work in any normal industry, don't do a Ph.D. A Ph.D. is a ticket to restrict yourself to a specific field of study of your choice. With a Ph.D., you tend to either create your own career, or you stay in Research.

You'll never ever get a "normal job" unless you go to great lengths to hide the fact that you have a Ph.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: