Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The F1 Grand Prix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure exactly which year you're talking about, but I think Michael Schumacher vs Damon Hill rivalry occurred between 1994-1995 (1996 was Damon Hill's year to win the championship but that was Williams total dominance and not rivalry with Michael Schumacher). Here are some stats that might shock you when you look at it.

Drivers Standings:
1. Michael Schumacer 92 points -> 8 wins
2. Damon Hill 91 points -> 6 wins
3. Gerhard Berger 41 points -> 1 win
4. Mika Hakkinen 26 points
9. Nigel Mansell 13 points -> 1 win

Constructor's Standings:
1. Williams 118 points
2. Benneton 103 points
3. Ferrari 71 points
4. McLaren 42 points

As you can see, Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher ended up being separated by a single point. Great rivalry, but a 2-man race none the less. 8 wins by Schumacher, 6 by Damon Hill. Leaving 2 races that weren't won by either of them. Berger was practically the man who is "the best of the rest" all alone with no competition. Ferrari was also in the same position as Berger with them being in the land of nowhere on third position.

Driver's Standings:
1. Michael Schumacher 102 points -> 9 wins
2. Damon Hill 69 points -> 4 wins
3. David Coulthard 49 points -> 1 win
4. Johnny Herbert 45 points -> 2 wins
5. Jean Alesi 42 points ->1 win

Constructor's Standings:
1. Bennetton 147 points
2. Williams 118 points
3. Ferrari 73 points
4. McLaren 30 points

As you can see there, now we have 5 people winning it instead of 4. But Michael's dominance was clearly there with him winning 9 races out of 17. Damon Hill was left alone in second position, not threatened by the third place but not able to catch up to first either. Once again, Ferrari occupied the no man's land position with no one to compete with.

Now compare to what happened this year.

Driver's Standings:
1. Fernando Alonso 133 points -> 7 wins
2. Kimi Raikkonen 112 points -> 7 wins
3. Michael Schumacher 61 points -> 1 win
4. Juan Pablo Montoya 60 points -> 3 wins
5. Giancarlo Fisichella 58 points -> 1 win

Constructor's Standings:
1. Renault 191 points
2. McLaren 182 points
3. Ferrari 100 points
4. Toyota 88 points

Here, as you can see clearly Alonso and Raikkonen were equally good with each of them grabbing 7 wins. You said that Fisichella and Montoya weren't as good as their teammates, but I disagree. Montoya grabbed 3 wins this year while Fisichella grabbed 1. They compete with each other, and clearly an integral part of the team.

Quote:
but back in the day there were other strong competitors...

Coulthard, Alesi, Berger, Hakkinen, etc...

Statistics disagreed with you though. They were nowhere near Schumacher to be called as "strong competitors" Berger in 1994 and Coulthard in 1995 occupied the third position, yet, they were so far away behind Schumacher and Damon Hill (though Coulthard was close to Damon Hill in 1995).

If you say that they are "strong competitors", then obviously in 2005, Schumacher, Fisichella, Montoya and even Ralf and Trulli (45 and 43 points respectivelly) deserved to be called as "strong competitors" too.

In 2005, you see many rivalries:
1. Renault-McLaren as teams for first place.
2. Alonso-Raikkonen for first place.
3. Montoya-Fisichella-Schumacher for third place.
4. Ferrari-Toyota for third place.
5. All out battle between BAR, Red Bull, and Williams to get the 6-8 positions in a race.

Compared to 1994-1995 era .. that's a lot more competition (1994 was 2 horse race all the way while 1995 was a race for the rest with Schumacher running away on his own). I don't see how 2005 is more boring than those era.

Quote:
You also had Bennetton, Williams, McClaren, and Ferrari in close competition...Williams has fallen off the map...Who know what Ferrari's problem is...yeah, blame the tires but think there's other issues. Bennetton is Renault now right?...I assume so cuz they look exactly like Bennetton's old cars.

Yes Renault is the same as Bennetton. But once again, statistics disagree with you. It had always been Williams-Bennetton up front with Ferrari being in distant third position in those era. McLaren was a far far fourth. On the other hand, in 2005, you got Renault-McLaren for first, then Ferrari-Toyota for third. Definitely more competitive than before.

Quote:
It's just a knwoing that a McClaren or Renault is going to win barring getting neat Takuma Sato...or an equipment failure.

I understand your point, but still, no difference whatsoever compared to the era when you actually liked F1.

1994: 8 Bennetton, 7 Williams, 1 Ferrari
1995: 11 Bennetton, 5 Williams, 1 Ferrari
2005: 10 McLaren, 8 Renault, 1 Ferrari

What's the difference, really?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess you had a point...I think it seemed different cuz I remember a guy like Mika Hakkinen who would always run with the top 2 and then do something stupid and crash or break...The McLaren's were often the unreliable cars back in the day.

You also wonder what that race would be like if Ayrton Senna hadn't died...That would've been a 3 horse race.

Another thing...Ralf Schumacher. How good would this guy be if he wasn't always in inferior equipment. I'd say close to his brother.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately, McLaren *is* still not the most reliable car this year too >_< Kimi could've won the title this year had he not lost lots of points because of mechanical failure that either forced him out of the race or got him the 10-grid penalty ... x_x

Yeah, I do wonder what would've happened had Ayrton Senna did not die. He was the first driver that I cheered for. I still remembered the day when I was about to go to school (still in elementary school back then) and read the morning newspaper. I just stood there, not knowing how to deal with such news. Bless his soul.

As for Ralf Schumacher ... yeah, his car screws him up. So we have never seen him at full strength yet. So far though, I'm under the impression that he's the kind of driver that cannot turn around the situation. Once he's stuck in the middle of the park (around position 6-10), he seems to be cruising and just can't find any answer to challenge. Even when he was still in BMW Williams back then.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Michael's little brother won't amount to much I don't think, he'll probably be better remembered as the other Schumacher moreso than in his own right when all's said and done. That's not to say he's not good but I don't think he justifies the massive wages he got from Toyota they overpaid him a bit for what they're getting. Best I think that we would see from him would be a career somewhat resembling Coulthard's, just my personal feelings.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that Coulthard hasn't had a solid career.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Coulthard is simply one of the solid drivers that is constantly good but not destined to be a world champion no matter what. So yeah, I think Ralf Schumacher would pretty much end up like that unless he somehow got the #1 driver in a world-champion challenging car.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: