Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

International Duel Tournament - Announcements and Regulations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: International Duel Tournament - Announcements and Regulation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sign-up phase is over and so the tournament can begin. Please use this thread only if you have questions concerning the rules; use the other thread here in the Budehuc forum if you wish to to discuss pairings, duels etc.

Rules of Procedure
Each duelist has to submit a set of 10 commands for each duel. The commands interact in a Rock-Paper-Scissors manner, similar to the Suikox warsystem or the duels in the Suikoden games. If a duelist does not submit his commands in time, he will lose by default. I will state in this thread when I expect a certain participant to submit his commands.
Alongside the commands, the stats of the respective duelist determine the outcome of the duel.

The Relevance of the Stats
HP: Self-explanatory - zero HP, fight is over.
STR: Determines the amount of damage inflicted by Attack, Desperate Attack and Quick Attack.
DEF: Reduces the damage sustained by Attack, Desperate Attack and Quick Attack.
MAG: Determines the amount of damage inflicted by Magic and Powerful Magic.
MDF: Reduces the damage sustained by Magic and Powerful Magic.
SKL: Determines hit-rate of all commands except for Defend.
SPD: Decides initiative in most situations, seldomly allows multiple attacks; determines the amount of damage inflicted by Quick Attack.
EVD: Reduces hit-rate of all enemy attacks except for Defend and Powerful Magic.

A Description of the Commands
The commands are: Attack, Quick Attack, Desperate Attack, Magic, Powerful Magic and Defend.

Attack: damage based on STR; enemy DEF does reduce the damage.
Quick Attack: rather low damage based on STR and SPD; enemy DEF does reduce the damage.
Desperate Attack: high damage based on STR; hit-rate is reduced; enemy DEF does reduce the damage.
Magic: damage based on MAG; enemy MDF does reduce the damage.
Powerful Magic: high damage based on MAG; initiative is lowered, multiple attacks are not possible; enemy MDF does reduce the damage.
Defend: reduces physical damage, improves EVD.

The Interplay of the Commands
Attack vs...
... Attack: normal damage to both.
... Quick Attack: normal damage to both.
... Desperate Attack: normal damage to foe, double damage to self.
... Magic: normal damage to both.
... Powerful Magic: normal damage to foe, double damage to self.
... Defend: half damage to foe.

Quick Attack vs...
... Quick Attack: normal damage to both.
... Magic: normal damage to foe.
... Powerful Magic: normal (physical) damage to foe, double damage (magical) to foe.
... Defend: half damage to foe.

Desperate Attack vs...
... Attack: double damage to foe, normal damage to self.
... Quick Attack: double damage to foe, normal damage to self.
... Desperate Attack: double damage to both.
... Magic: double damage to foe, normal damage to self.
... Powerful Magic: double (physical) damage to foe, double (magical) damage to both.
... Defend: double damage (own STR) to self.

Magic vs...
... Quick Attack: normal damage to self.
... Magic: normal damage to both.
... Powerful Magic: normal damage to foe, double damage to self.
... Defend: normal damage to foe.

Powerful Magic vs...
... Attack: normal damage to self, double damage to foe.
... Quick Attack: normal damage (physical) to self, double damage (magical) to self.
... Desperate Attack: double damage (magical) to both, double damage (physical) to self.
... Magic: double damage to foe, normal damage to self.
... Powerful Magic: double damage to both.
... Defend: double damage to foe.

Defend vs...
... Attack: half damage to self.
... Quick Attack: half damage to self.
... Desperate Attack: double damage (enemy STR) to foe.
... Magic: normal damage to self.
... Powerful Magic: double damage to self.
... Defend: nothing; if Defend vs. Defend happens a second time in the same duel, the spectators throw items at the duelists, inflicting damage according to KARma.

You will notice that this system is more complicated than a simple RPS-system, but this allows you to actually use strategy instead of just guessing the right command. Study the interplay of the commands and your enemy's stats carefully - you might be able to foresee his moves.

(I know that the commands are not equal in power - this actually improves the strategic possibilities. A "pure" RPS-system (where every command beats exactly one other) would create as much strategy as an orange t-shirt, whereas a system solely based on stats would be as thrilling as the mentioned piece of clothing.)

To enable me to write the duel reports, each duelist has to submit the following information to me via PM:

1) How does your character look?
2) What weapon does he use? What rune?
3) Anything else you want me to integrate into the duel reports.

I reserve my right not to mention what you submit under #3.

The following contestants can submit these informations to me right away, since their karma classes don't have preliminaries:

Goldmember
Inko37
Barbarosa Rugner
Ganon Dun
Death
punchdoll
sybillious
Abyscal
Celes Tilly
Midori
Sophita
Gaara
Pyroflame
Marshmellow

I will post the results of the preliminaries for the other karma classes (1-99, 100-199, 300-399) soon.

Last edited by iscalio on Fri May 27, 2005 6:22 am; edited 4 times in total
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rules of Procedure, Addedum 1:
If a set of 10 commands does not suffice to end the duel (which is not very likely considering my formula), an additional roster of commands has to be submitted.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio wrote:
Defend: nothing; if Defend vs. Defend happens a second time in the same duel, the spectators throw items at the duelists, inflicting damage according to KARma.

:lol: Big Joe . . . Poor Fei. And poor us if this happens to anyone.

One minor question. In the unlikely event that both attacks drop both duelists to 0 hp, how do you decide the winner? Will you do some type of "Adrenaline Power" aspect like Suikoden 3, or will you determine the loser as the person who has the most negative hp?

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In relation to our roster of ten, do we submit what we will do each turn to you and then just watch as the fight plays out, or do we get the chance to switch up between each attack?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced wrote:
One minor question. In the unlikely event that both attacks drop both duelists to 0 hp, how do you decide the winner? Will you do some type of "Adrenaline Power" aspect like Suikoden 3, or will you determine the loser as the person who has the most negative hp?

Initiative decides the winner in most cases. For example, both duelists decided to "attack" and both attacks would defeat the opponent. In this case, the faster one wins, since he strikes first and prevents his opponent from attacking at all.

In some situations (like a "spectator kill" in a Defend-Defend situation or in a situation in which "Powerful Magic" goes off uncontrollably (Desperate Attack vs. Powerful Magic)) a double KO might actually happen. In these rare cases, both duelists lose.

Scarlet assassin wrote:

In relation to our roster of ten, do we submit what we will do each turn to you and then just watch as the fight plays out, or do we get the chance to switch up between each attack?

It's the former. The only case in which you will be required to submit commands after the duel has already started is in case 10 commands are not enough to end the duel.

Last edited by iscalio on Thu May 26, 2005 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The preliminaries of Karma Class II (100-199)

The following members have signed up in this category:
Raze, Ranadiel, TheNeclord, Harukaze, Sai Fujiwara, !Shadow Wolf!, The Hot Ice, Milan Fiori, blank and Revolving Sphere.

These are 10 members, out of which 8 may enter the tournament. I rolled a ten-sided die to determine two pairs of combatants to fight preliminary duels. Thus, luck guides 6 out of these 10 directly into the tournament.

The two duel pairs are:

And the winner is Sai Fujiwara!

And the winner is !Shadow Wolf!!

The participants of Karma Class II are therefore:
Raze
TheNeclord
Harukaze
Sai Fujiwara
!Shadow Wolf!
Milan Fiori
blank
Revolving Sphere

Please submit the requested information about your character.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The preliminaries of Karma Class I (1-99)

Ashton Anchors, Lucia RareGroove, PF, Scarlet assassin, Earthquake923, Kalidor, The Black Knight, Everyone's Grudge, Wataru14, Beast Rune, Benit149.

These are 11 members, out of which 8 may enter the tournament. I rolled a twelve-sided die to determine three pairs of combatants to fight preliminary duels. Thus, luck guides 5 out of these 10 directly into the tournament.

The three duel pairs are:

And the winner is The Black Knight!

And the winner is PF!

And the winner is Beast Rune!

The participants of Karma Class I are therefore:
PF
Scarlet assassin
Earthquake923
Kalidor
The Black Knight
Everyone's Grudge
Beast Rune
Benit149

Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, oh. Pardon my stupidityness. So, right now, the prelims decide who will enter the tournament, and we don't do anything for now? And then the people you put in now must PM you their information. So that means that so far:

PF, Scarlet assassin, Earthquake923, Kalidor, The Black Knight, Everyone's Grudge, Beast Rune, Benit149, Raze, TheNeclord, Harukaze, Sai Fujiwara, !Shadow Wolf!, Milan Fiori, blank, Revolving Sphere, Goldmember, Inko37, Barbarosa Rugner, Ganon Dun, Death, punchdoll, sybillious, Abyscal, Celes Tilly, Midori, Sophita and Gaara

give you the information now. But others like yors truly, Black Pesmerga, Njord, Wiseman and such have to wait for the prelims to be over?

Thank you for having the patience to deal with my imbecilinity.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, class III (karma 300-399) hasn't finished the preliminary round yet. So there are technically no "participants" yet in the tournament for that class. Hence, those who are in class III would have to wait until the preliminaries are done. Once done, there would be 8 participants in the tournament for that class that would be required to send the 10-round commands for the duels.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I take it we will be submitting our commands blindly becasue we wont know who exactly we are fighting. It will be fun trying to work out a strategy against everyone in my KARma class! :lol:

Best of Luck to all.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a question - Does it matter which rune we choose? (eg, does it influence your attack/defense/whatnot?) Does it have to be elemental, or could we have technique based ones toovcx , like double strike?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
I have a question - Does it matter which rune we choose? (eg, does it influence your attack/defense/whatnot?) Does it have to be elemental, or could we have technique based ones toovcx , like double strike?

It's purely a guess but I'd assume it was for the purposes of storytelling. I doubt iscalio would let someone gain an advantage like that by letting them kit themselves out with fury/double beat/double strike or something!

I'm sure that wasn't what you had in mind anyway just an OTT example of why I think it will have no bearing on the actual battles.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goldmember wrote:
I take it we will be submitting our commands blindly becasue we wont know who exactly we are fighting. It will be fun trying to work out a strategy against everyone in my KARma class!

Best of Luck to all.

No; I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that. A few people already submitted their commands, but that's not necessary - I only need the character information for now. You will learn who your opponent will be before you have to submit your commands.

Sophita wrote:

PF is right. The runes (like the weapons) just serve the purpose to describe the battle and your character. I need one magic rune - otherwise you won't be able to use the Magic and Powerful Magic commands. But it doen't matter which you choose - all are equally powerful. Most people have chosen Rage or Thunder runes, but they could have chosen Fire and Lightning runes as well. Some people chose True Runes, but I won't allow that.
Concerning Skill/Stat Boost runes: I will try to include such runes into the story, but they won't give actual boni.

@Starslasher: That's completely right.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The preliminaries of Karma Class IV (300-399)

Moody Mage, Jeremy, Lord Dredd, Njord, Wiseman, Fliktor, Unknown, Diaz, Man In Black, Starslasher, Drummsta, Sadness, Black Pesmerga, Futch, Kuwaizair, Crono, Kohaku, MMan9000, Ced The Lad.

These are 19 members, out of which 8 may enter the tournament. I rolled a twenty-sided die to determine nine pairs of combatants to fight a first group of preliminary duels.

These nine duel pairs are:

And the winner is Kuwaizair!

And the winner is Ced The Lad!

And the winner is Wiseman!

And the winner is Black Pesmerga!

And the winner is Fliktor!

And the winner is Lord Dredd!

And the winner is Njord!

And the winner is Man In Black!

And the winner is drummsta!

These duels eliminated 9 members. In Karma Class IV are now left:
Lord Dredd, Njord, Wiseman, Fliktor, Man In Black, Drummsta, Black Pesmerga, Kuwaizair, MMan9000 and Ced The Lad.

These are 10 members, out of which 8 may enter the tournament. I rolled a ten-sided die to determine two further pairs of combatants to fight a second group of preliminary duels.

These duel pairs are:

And the winner is Lord Dredd!

And the winner is Ced The Lad!

The participants of Karma Class IV are therefore:
Lord Dredd
Njord
Wiseman
Fliktor
Drummsta
Black Pesmerga
Kuwaizair
Ced The Lad

Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yay! Wow Mr. I...you have done a tremendous job here and a very good one if I do say so myself, pity I didn't enter, but me thinks I would have been easily defeated...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: