Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Only in America?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We are not just talking about a difference in watches. Arenegeth, what do you do for a living, how long have you been doing it, and how old are you? I am not trying to be rude, but if you've never been on the other side of the counter, you really can't imagine:
1)How many poeple you interact with in 1 day.
2)How butt holes really stand out during a day.
If 5% of the people you deal with give you crap, that could easily be 20 for the day. That's alot of crap to take.

I said it in another post on this board. I ALWAYS try to treat people behind the register nicely. I know what it's like.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

while that's a nice sentiment, arenegeth, you're making the assumption that we treat everyone like crap, and that's not true.

as far as someone waiting to show up until closing or nearly closing, think of how that disrupts things; most companies REQUIRE their employees to have everything related to closing the store completed within an hour or less-often, the list is long and cannot fully be accomplished within said allotted hour, so various tasks have to be shuffled around and completed before that time, and those that can't have to be completed after.

anyone showing up can disrupt this, making closing take longer than it's supposed to; the shift lead in charge is responsible for justifying this overage, and in some cases, can get fired, even though the overage couldn't be avoided *something to think about before you take that high and mighty attitude of 'i take my job seriously, blah blah.' just because people want to complete things as they should without the thoughtlessness of someone showing up just BEFORE this time doesn't mean they don't take their job equally as serious as you do.*

as far as mistreating workers, i can only speak for myself; i don't mistreat them-even when they're rude. i understand their situation *being in it myself* and try to stay out of their way; if they are rude, i simply leave-no arguments, no rudeness on my part, i just leave.

Quote:
Well that what they were paid for, you see unlike the rest of you and most of humanity with no career jobs I take any job I may have seriously, meaning I'm not tired unless I finished the work I was supposed to finish I take a job as a duty that I must complete, my employer paid me to be at the news agency (example) until 11:00 and you shall still find me there at 11:10 helping customers that may have come right on closing time why?

this whole statement is rather presumptuous and rather high and mighty, holier than thou or whatever label one might put on it; just because sophita mentioned that the people might be tired *and usually, they are* and want to complete their tasks in a reasonable amount of time doesn't mean they aren't dedicated.

being 'paid for' doesn't mean allowing a person to abuse you simply because they're a customer-that's asinine. no one deserves that kind of treatment, regardless of how their day went, etc. for some reason, some people think that because a person is there working they are there to service your every little whim-they are mistaken.

the worker is there to help you, but not to 'carry around things,' seek out things that aren't even related to their store *such as phone numbers for other stores* or accept bad treatment.

the person showing up just before a store closes isn't exactly a model customer-they may not be able to show up sooner on that day, but is it really imperative to handle something involved late at night? this is rather rude and thoughtless of them, not to mention selfish-people have lives and things they need to do, but they can also consider others needs by coming in at a reasonable hour, something that isn't that great of a challenge.

try dealing with this type of 'customer' after a day of dealing with people being belligerent for no particular reason, families who turn their children loose in your store to wreak havoc *sometimes, damaging things without paying for said damage,* or people who aren't satisfied no matter how hard a sales person tries and maybe you'll understand where they're coming from. i certainly do, especially after working at a toy store-one of the worst places to work in my experience.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Now I don't know about banks in the US but where I'm at people working at banks get over paid, work only five hours a day, no weekends of course, always have their own parking in, air-condition, comfy chairs to sit on, high tech computers to work on.

Well, I don't know what country you live in, but at my bank I work a full 40 hour week. We are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. six days a week (longer on Thursdays and Fridays) I have to work two Saturdays a month. We do have our own parking lot and air conditioning (whhich are standrad issue for larger places of business) We have high-tech compters to WORK on. I don't know how much leisure time you think we have at work, but I can see upwards of 250 to 300 people a day, more on drive-thru. DOesn;t leave much time for web surfing. Espeically since we have an IT department that monitors web usage. And as for being overpaid, how do you deicde what is overpaid. Is that a judgement call you are qualified to make? I work for a non profit credit union and I can't complain about my salary. If my salary is high it is not passed on to our member in terms of higher rates since we are a non-proft. I also lice on Long Island, which is one of the most expensive areas in the United States in terms of housing costs. I live in a two-bedroom apartment that costs $1455 per month (luckily I have two roommates). My parents pay nearly $7000 a year in property taxes alone.

Quote:
And after all that they have the right to be impolite, unhelpful, taking personal trivial calls while people are waiting in lines, or start conversations among themselves about what color would look good on them, and when you say "excuse me" they respond "in a minute".

Now I am 27 and have been working in retail on and off since high school. I have NEVER seen this kind of behavior from a regular employee. EVER. And if I did, it was from a person who was fired ten minutes later.

And back to stupid people, I used to work at a weekly newspaper in the newsroom and answering phones was part of my daily tasks. I would get calls from people who would say things that basically boiled down to "My cat is pretty and I think your 1,000,000 readers would be extremely interested in my pretty cat. If you don't write a cover story on her I'm going to call everty day for three months and complain." I've also gotten "I'm suing someone and I want you to write a story about it but make it totally from my side so he looks bad and I win. Don't even call the guy, just write what I say."

I've gotten people (mostly old people) who have sent me poetry and demand it gets published when we had never done that in our 45-year history, demand free full-page adds for their church bake sale, demand full coverage of their car dealership simply because they bought a 1/4 page ad, and anything else you can imagine.

This is the actual verbatim transcript of a call I had to take last year.

"Good afternoon, newsroom."
"Yeah, what's the number for the fire house?"
"Um, which one sir?"
"The one right here, it's across from the CVS. I'm looking right at it!"

I took a long break after that one.

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One stupid story I watched on Cold Case Files was of a dead body found in a bog, and alligators would've eaten it were it not for the cops intervening. The body turned out to be a dead serial rapist. What's even more bizarre is that he was killed b/c he molested a serial murderer's kids. I mean... why? I see several things wrong with this picture:

1. Serial rapist. Serial murderer. You do the math.
2. How in the world can a serial murderer have KIDS and manage to hide his past?
3. Is there really such a thing as justice in this case? If there is, it's VERY convoluted.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh, the unpleasant customers.

Yeah, the showing up at closing time issue is a good one. I do indeed agknowledge I have a duty when at work, but my duty specifies working until closing time - not "until whenever". Do I stay late if necessary? Sure. I'm not a jerk, I want to help my customers and co-workers, but it certainly is irritating when people come in that late, ignore the announcements we make about closing, and then show up with a variety of items and an inconveninent form of tender.

I can understand that we are a drug store, and that you'd like to get your medication; I can definitely sympathize with those who show up late, because I'm none too quick about getting out the door myself (getting to work excluded). But I have the decency to hurry, and if I know I won't have time, I wait until the next day. It's my fault that I'm not there in time, not the employees'.

For the most part, though, the customers are agreeable. I really don't run into all of these jerks and morons that others mention, not so many, anyhow. Maybe I'd get more if I worked in the pharmacy? As it is, I do pretty well with the customers. I try to be polite, and I really honestly like helping others, so that makes for smooth sailing. But I do have moments - I suffer from some mental illnesses (of the emotional variety), and sometimes things begin to get to me. My mind won't function as well, everything becomes irritating or impossibly difficult, every problem becomes personal, every obstacle speaks ill of my abilities, and I get increasingly stressed. I'll eventually break, so when I sense that coming I have to get out of there and take a break. I can seem rude until I do, and I suppose I am, though it's far from my intent. My mind simply doesn't work the same way as it usually does in those cases.

I'm the stupid part of the equation all too often. ...forgetful, mostly. I have a memory like a fruit fly; I have honestly - and I mean honestly - blanked out when I have to write my name on something at work. I have had my manager list two endcaps I have to work on three different times before I could remember properly, no matter how hard I was trying. BLEAGH. I hate looking that stupid.

Yeah, I need to run into more stupid people. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all Wataru man there is a reason why I said locally so don't get offended about the bank thing specifically, the US is the biggest country in the world where I live is just a hell hole and that sort of behavior happens all the time.

And over paid as in working for five hours and making $2500 to $5000 a month with all the benefits of course.

Next I don't think you guys got the reason of my post, it was to show you that not all customers are simply stupid but like you they have life's and some times due to reasons beyond their control can't make it on time, and that some times you can find your selves in their place.

I guess you guys have being abused in the work place by customers and you are really feeling bitter about it, and as I said some people really are bad customers I have being in the receiving end of bad treatment my self.

I didn't assume that you treated people badly in general but just on closing hours.

And about acting high and mighty, if you didn't noticed I repeatedly said that only someone clearly not sane would do what I do, putting your self, your health and your sanity back to help people is not something to be proud about I'm sure that you are committed to your jobs, but I'm still guessing how people around me operate always take that in mind people were I'm at aren't committed In an...

I shouldn't go on about this since I just got the urge to look for a shotgun.

Now to honor Earthquake923 (you're not rude) I will give some personal actual experience.

I will give the most recent one though not behind a counter.

I was a security guard in a water park, my job was basically to walk around the place overlooking things and helping people when necessary, and people were asking questions not stupid questions I might add (though asking me when the park closes while a sign behind me show the open and closing hours was stupid, but then again what would you expect from an 6 year old) the reason that nobody asked me any stupid questions is because all this time I was interacting with tourists.

But god almighty when a local comes up to me and asks me to hold his child for a while until he gathers his stuff and I wait for like a half an hour with a wee little girl in my arms and find the father at the cantina drinking beer and laughing when he left his kid with the "baby sitter", it kind of got to my nerves, but I kept it cool and waited for a few minutes the father was still conversing and the child was getting restless I went up to him, when he saw me he was like "sorry man I forgot" no thank you no nothing.

After that I was reassign to a parking lot that was hell it self I'm actually traumatized by my experience there (where is MY shotgun) and quitted after two days, why?

Not because of the torment but because I was paid $12 a day to do so.

So as you can see I know what you're talking about because I was abused too and at the same time mistreated by employs.

The point that I'm trying to make is that you guys shouldn't look this from your own perspective only and keep an open mind not everyone is simply stupid.

And I repeat I say all this by the experience I had locally this may not apply in any other part of the world.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sometimes people do have extenuating circumstances, but when people are calculating about it, that's when I get mad. People show up five minutes before closing not because they have other things going on in their lives or they can't get there any other time. They get there at that time because they think they won't have to wait. I have heard many many people say that verbally to each other when they are suprised to see a line out the door at 4:28. Plain and simple. My bank closes at 4:30 p.m. on most days. I would absolutely love to have a job that allows me to be up and around and visiting the bak at 4:30 p.m., but unfortunately I do not have one, nor does anyone I know. These people are most likely off from work or have been off from work for a while and just up and decied to go then because they think it will be the quickest experience for them. And I don't care what your day is like. If the only time you can go to the store is 10:25 p.m. then you need to take a few courses in time management. Its all calculated.

Quote:
I didn't assume that you treated people badly in general but just on closing hours.

I don't treat people badly at closing hours. I treat them just like any other customer. I may curse them under my breath and in my mind, but by no means do I let that come across. I personally only treat customers badly when their behavior becomes personally insulting or irrational. People become agitated when you calmly explain things they don't like to hear and start turning it around on you personally. Then the gloves come off. Otherwise, only an idiot would make it overtly obvious to a late customer that they were angry they were there. If a sign says you're open until 4:30 then you serve people up until 4:30 without any cross looks.

People in this thread are saying "Yeah it sucks" but no one is saying "We shouldn't have to deal with those people." It's obvious you serve these people. That's my job. People who show up AFTER that and expect the world to move for them are the problem. Yeah, they might have had things in their lives that kept them from getting there on time, but I have things in my life I need to get to and they are causing me to miss out on what I have to do. Why is their time more important than mine?

And I'm not talking about people who need a money order or something simple. I have no problem staying open for that. You're right on that point. If I was in their shoes I would be really appreciative about someone doing it for me. What I'm talking about is the guy who decides he absolutely has to refinance his mortgage at 4:28 p.m. and therefore make half the staff have to stay late. Very late. We can't open the vault to put our cash away when someone is in the building.

Quote:
Not because of the torment but because I was paid $12 a day to do so.

Is that legal? Don't they have minimum wage laws where you are? Even working at McDonalds you get $12 for 2.5 hours' work. How long were your shifts?

And as for taking resposibility for someone's child when they leave your field of view? Why on earth would you do that? What if this guy just up and left the park? You would then be responsible for this kid! What if the kid had a medical condition and had a seizure or something? It then becomes your problem. Doing stuff like that is just setting yourself up for problems. And what if there was an energency at the park you needed to take care of. You were a security guard. You wouldn't be able to respond becuase you were dealing with this kid. If I somehow got suckered into wathcing the kid, after a half-hour I would have gotten on my cell, called CPS and said, "Yeah, some jerkwad just decided to abandon his kid in the hands of a total stranger. Come and pick her up."

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know what you mean some people are like "Lets go to the bank is closing time there won't be anyone there" this kind of people should be shot at.

I guess I was trying to be helpful, that was part of my job there, and people some times treat their kid's like luggage.

My mother works 8 to 10 hours a day EVERY day even Sundays, ALL holydays, yes Christmas, New Year, Easter the works and all assorted local holidays, NO benefits whatsoever which means no pension fund and she only gets herself paid $600 a month, some times she does not even get a bonus Christmas time.
All this in a card club making coffee for old men cleaning the place and be responsible for the "rights"* they have to pay for playing there.

So don't tell me about the law, POLICE MEN buy pirate games where I'm at AND they suggest that you should too.

There is no "law" here is like the very bowels of hell (I guess now you can partly understand why I say I live in hell).

I worked a six hour shift you can calculate how much that is an hour.

*The person who wins that particular deck pays for the right of playing there coffee and all assorted beverages and food are part of that right, this a VERY old method used back in the 30's I think and is still being carried over all this years.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

arenegeth, that has to be the most contrary group of answers ever; first you say 'they have the right' without understanding the reply, then you change your answer to try and cover up your initial ignorance of what others are saying.

i've worked from retail to janitorial and many things in between, to include military service; i've seen a wider scope of just how ignorant and stupid people can behave. granted, this doesn't apply to all people, just to those who can't seem to dislodge their heads from their fifth point of contact long enough to carry out business with some courtesy.

nope, they chat on their cell phones, snap at workers and treat them like crap, yet we're supposed to accept this as 'part of the job?' not just no, but hell no; there are limits to what a customer can do, abusing workers definitely doesn't fall within that scope.

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes I sound contradictive because I'm not with side A or side B.

And I didn't try to cover up anything.

Oh and I forgot about "We don't have to take that crap" you're right you don't.
I don't tolerate certain things either, things that are outside the job description.
If someone on the water park had told me to polish their cars for instance, I'll tell them in a polite manner that I obviously can't, if they insisted I would have contacted the manager.

So again I try to differentiate if someone was simply being demanding within the job description then I would have shut up and do as they asked.

Of course if they offend me then that's a different thing.

What you don't understand sybillious is the point of my posts.

You guys were looking only at black and white.

So you see I don't agree or disagree with you, you're not wrong and I'm right and vice versa.

All I was trying to do with my posts is make you people understand that not everyone is stupid not everyone is anything actually.

Don't be absolute.

Hehe I get the feeling some times that you guys take the things said here a reason to start a war.

Remember to respect each others opinions I do respect yours since I can understand your point of view.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Just to be annoying, have you guys notice your own behaviour when dealing with service? Just wondering.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no better common etiquette class than working say, 6 months of retail. You get to see great examples of human kindness and great examples of human jerkiness, all in the same boat. Generally, though not always, I think the people who work retail are some of the BEST tipers, some of MOST polite people to deal with when there's a problem, etc. - they know what it's like. You kind of sympathize with people in your same area, just because you know you're all in the same boat. For example, I do notice that after working as a waitress, I started tipping more than I did previously, as I did not know waitresses made so little money. Before I generally typed 15% for OK service - not bad, not great and 20% for great. After working as one, I tipped 18-20% for decent service and maybe 22-24% for great service. (Assuming I could afford to do so. Though if I couldn't afford to tip then chances are I'm not going out to eat.)

There are people who worked retail and think that entitles them to SO MUCH MORE (eg, "I worked here 14 years ago. Can I still use my employee discount card?" Uhm, no. Or "Hey, I work at (X competing store). Can I use my discount card and coupons here?" Uhm, no. Or "YOU SHALL WAIT ON ME RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE I AM HIGH AND MIGHTY AT THE BIG OFFICE - WHAT BIG OFFICE? OH NEVER MIND THAT." but generally, I find, those who work the shifts has a bit of a bond with those who have done the same, for they know much their feet hurt after 8-10 (or more) hours on the job, how little money they get paid, and how much stuff they have to put up with. It humanizes those on the job more than we are generally accustomed to think, and the barista behind the coffee counter or the janitor sweeping the streets are not just barista and janitor to us but fellow human beings in a similar place.

Arenegeth wrote:
You guys are a bit selfish and forget that YOU act the same way.

While I won't deny that I've occasionally been rude to others, I try desperately hard not to be so. I don't go to a store after it's closed and wail on the gates that they better open up the @$@ #%#$# @#@ #%#%#$ store now, I don't demand to see a manager every time the cashier says they're out of Newports, and I try generally not to treat fellow human beings like I own them.

Quote:
Sophitia mentioned something about telling a customer that they are closing at 11:00 sharp and when someone appears at 10:55 and found the doors closed and most of the staff inside was tired because they were working for eight hours.

Well that what they were paid for, you see unlike the rest of you and most of humanity with no career jobs I take any job I may have seriously, meaning I'm not tired unless I finished the work I was supposed to finish I take a job as a duty that I must complete, my employer paid me to be at the news agency (example) until 11:00 and you shall still find me there at 11:10 helping customers that may have come right on closing time why?

I have scheduled hours. My job starts at a given hour and ends at a given hour. Once that hour comes, I am no longer, Sophita - Super Cashier. I am Sophita - Super Fellow Being. My job does not define who I am, and I am not on call 24 hours. To expect people to go that far beyond the call of work is somewhat silly - if your friend is a professional sport's player, do you demand he coach your child's football team? If your friend is a pizza delivery boy, does that mean he must go and get every pizza you order, even if, say, you order Sunday at 7pm and he gets off work at 6? Does your girlfriend who is, say, a paralegal, required to help you research your law papers?

Just because a store closes at 11pm doesn't mean that business stops at 11pm. First of all, you have the "final flight" customers, who either stay around a long time or don't come in until very late - the process of checking them out begins with the announcements the store is closing, usually 15 minutes early. Generally in my experiences there's at least 10-15 people left to check out, and since all the minors have to go home early (10-ish, I think), there's usually only 2 people left at the check out, so that takes 5-10 minutes depending on how many people there are and how complex their transactions are. There's also usually at least 2-3 "problem customers" who just ...don't see reason (ie, people on a last minute run for cigarettes who don't bring their ID and look close enough to 18 to be carded), or have a problem that we really can't help them with quickly (for example, someone who's check won't go through and we need a driver's license number but they don't have one, or they have one but it's from a foreign country which causes problems with the machine and we have to get a managerial override and it's - it's...just a very long, boring drawn out process.).

At the same time, you have people going through the store and checking to make sure there are no more people in their departments. This, too, takes a while, and if any customer is still in the building, we have to ask them either to leave or check out. This process often takes longer than checking those who first came up out, so we have to wait until each and every department gives the all clear. That can be really quick, or it can be really slow, depending on who's working and how many customers are left in the store. By the time this is over, it can be 11:05 or it can be 11:30. And we're not allowed to sit in the store, so that's an extra half hour of walking and waiting if it's a long night.

Once those people all leave, the doors are locked. Anyone who arrives beyond 11:00 (I did not say 10:55; I said 11, when the store closes.) -whatever can not enter, and that's just tough luck, because there's a lot more business that goes on in the store after those who serve the customers leave, and they're on the clock, so they have to get started on it. Yes, cashiers are probably still around, but they're all counting down their tills. Even if we wanted to help someone, we couldn't, because once we get the managerial override to count down, we're done. Nothing more we could do, even if we wanted to. And to be honest? No one wants to. Everyone who's left at closing time has been there a looong, loong time and has taken crap all day and all they want to do is go home and relax or do their own thing. Even people with work ethics that would drive a horse to shame really, really want to go home at closing time. You show up past when the store is closed? Sorry, bucko, but you'll have to go to another store.

As far as "no career job" - Do you know how hard it is to find a career job in my field without a bachelor's - or preferably, master's - degree? You don't see too many high school teacher positions going to those who just graduated high school. I'm working all these so called "no career jobs" because a) they pay for my schooling and bills and b) it's work experience. I do as good a job as I possibly can, but I only work the hours I've been assigned. If it's 12:30 and I get off at 11pm? Touch luck, buck-o, I'm going home.

As far as being tired - dude, you get tired regardless of how hard you work. It's a body regulating system that forces you to be more open to the possibility of sleep. You get tired if you work hard, and you get tired if you do nothing at all. You might not act on that tiredness, but to deny it happening is kind of ...out there. It happens. It makes you human. Doesn't make you a bad employee.

Quote:
Because it's my duty, I was paid to do so and I will satisfy any remaining customers to the best of my abilities, but that is just me and a few other demented lunatics out there.

Er...Every store I've worked at has a policy where you must serve every customer that comes in the store until such time as the store closes. After that, though, the store is closed. And that means? La tienda está cerrada, hombre. No more new business occurs past business hours. Your employer will generally want you off the clock at a reasonable time so they don't have to pay you overtime, so I can't imagine they would be thrilled if you decided to say, stay open until 6am and pull a double shift.

Quote:

The same I would expect from someone else, but of course I don't since the only reason you're doing that job is money and not because you like it or intend to have a future on it.

Uhm...Money is a damn powerful reason to have a job. Most of us need to eat, have a place to sleep, etc. - and those necessities cost money. A lot of us don't have nice trust funds to rest on. Frankly, I'd trust someone doing a job for money more than almost anyone else, because I know that that person will bust their buns trying to do their job, because they want to keep it.

No offense meant by this dude, but you seem very condescending and inconsiderate to people who work jobs you judge beneath you.

Quote:
And after all that they have the right to be impolite, unhelpful, taking personal trivial calls while people are waiting in lines, or start conversations among themselves about what color would look good on them, and when you say "excuse me" they respond "in a minute".

You know, I've honestly only met one employee like that in my lifetime, and she was working with me at the time. L was often assigned as my "partner cashier" (i.e. she would take the front/back row and I would take the other, and whoever did the back row would generally get less business and thus often be recalled to relieve whoever was in the front's line - more people always cue up for the front lines, even when the back lines don't have any people in them. 0.o) L. was a nice girl but very young and she came from a very rich family and had no idea of what it was like to live from pay check to pay check or even to know what it was like to have to save up for something. She took the job because she was bored and her parents wanted her out of the house. But after the novelty value wore off (ie, 2 to 3 days), L. got bored and started bitching about it. She was rude to the customers, she was rude to her fellow employees, etc. She often closed down her register and just wandered off. She made demands to be put in different department's because checking was "dull." She often used the phone to call her friends. She got her butt fired, but her parents came in to complaign and the manager was afraid of angering rich people who could afford rich attorneys so he rehired her. And we were stuck with her.

But other than her, I've never met an employee like that. Most people who have jobs have them because they need them, and they will never, ever do anything to get themselves fired unless they are very, very dumb or very, very lacking in willpower. 0.o

Quote:

But don't get me wrong nothing is black and nothing is white life is full of shades of grey with multiple colors in between.

This means that yes there are the bad customers who treat you like a slave and order you around like they own you.

You just have to understand that you might be in the place of those people some times.

And I bet some times you where.

I have never treated anyone but my slaves but as queen I have the God given, sovereign right to do so as underneath me and act like I own them. Most people who are very rude to people in service jobs are those who act as if they are better than those in service jobs and act as if they own them.

Hey sybillious, can I ask you a question about you janitorial days? A friend of mine, M, just got out of the military a couple of years ago and decided to go back to school. The army pays a nice amount of her schooling but of course, she still needs money for necessities. She found a job as a janitor in a nice but kind of yuppyish neighborhood and says she finds the pay to be good, but what really sucks is that people constantly come up to her and berate her about being a janitor. Did that come with the job for you, too, or is it something that just this neighborhood is particularly assy about?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I think Arenegeth is trying to say is that we shouldn't be so quick to point at all these people and label them stupid and feel that we are on top of an untouchable pedestal. I would wager that everyone here has done something incredibly stupid (possibly multiple times) and we should remember to stay humble. Even if you think you haven't done something stupid, just remember that most people have seen at least one Pauly Shore movie in their lives. You are tainted as well! ;)

But still, everyone who has worked in a customer service position has some horror stories and general pet peeves they acquired, and most times it does fall into the stupid people category. I'm in no way saying that all customers I have, or even most of them, are stupid, it just so happens that this is a thread devoted to stupid people! So I'm sharing some of the things that urk me the most on the job.

If someone made a thread about good people they've met at work (or in general), I'd be happy to tell you guys about some of nice people who are regulars at my store, and those who are understanding when I'm the only one on the floor and their is a line of 10 people at the counter, and those who accept the fact that I messed up the transaction and have to void it out, and those who are patient when I need to get change or check on a movie, and those who understand when I tell them that the title they are looking for is unavailable and don't yell it me because I can't order it. If only every customer I had was a patient, understanding, respectful individual, my life would be so much easier.

As for the attitudes exhibited by employees at closing time, believe me, it's hard to stay alert and helpful when it's 15 minutes past closing and a customer decided just then to put something on layaway. I have to stand at the door on guard at those times and tell people who for some reason are still at the mall after hours that we're closed after this last transaction, and I don't let them in. There's nothing I can do.

First of all, it's company policy, as Sophita mentioned. I am usually on the clock for a 5 hour period (I only work part time) that ends at 9:30 pm. The gates close at 9 pm. The district manager will "have a talk with" my boss if people are constantly leaving the store at 10, 10:30, 11 pm every night. The business hours of the store are clearly marked at the entrance, and we have to abide by it.

Secondly, at the end of the day, the only thing I am thinking about is straightening up the store for the opening shift the next day and NOT customers. Sure, I help the few that are left if they need it, but my job is more than helping customers and standing at the counter. It usually takes me 15-30 minutes after closing every night to straighten, and when a customer comes in and lolly-gags around the store and doesn't seem to concerned over the fact that it's been a long day for me and my co-worker while we have a lot left to do before we can leave, it really gets under my skin.

I remember being a shopper. I didn't go to the mall very often, but whenever I go to a music store or whatever, I always put stuff back where I got it from. It's common freaking sense. I was never told that I shouldn't make a mess of a browser, or leave my McDonald's cup sitting on the floor because I was done with it and was too lazy to throw it away, I was always respectful of the store and the employees who worked hard to maintain it. That was only reinforced when I started working at Suncoast. I just don't get people who act like morons because we don't have the obscure 1970 sci-fi movie that was never put on DVD that they were looking for. I just don't get people who think that I am their indentured servant and not a regular person who has a knowledge of the layout of the store.

I never treat customers badly, but I treat them as humans. I'm willing to joke with them or tell them a movie sucked, because I'm a movie fan just like they are. I don't pretend to be something I'm not, and it's just nice when you have customers who will treat you like a human.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it can be, soph, but it depends; unfortunately, i was enlisted, so my skills weren't in great demand post military. people tend to treat those in cleaning service jobs like crap, since most seem to think that people take jobs like that *maid services or janitorial* because they're less intelligent *not so, but they can have their misconceptions and shove them...*

arengeth, i realise there is no black and white; to insinutate that i don't is beyond insulting-i've been around too long and have worked at too many different jobs to foolishly believe so. i will treat those around me with respect when that respect is due-it comes at first, but if they're abusive, they get cold civility and nothing more.

as much as i'd like, i don't get nasty with them, even if they're being total a-holes with me; if things get too ugly, i call in a manager or shift and let them take care of it while i step out to cool off. better that than me going nuts on said person and possibly ending up with an assault charge against me, don't you think?

i do my best to treat others in retail with courtesy, since i know what they go through, but then again, sophita summed up my thoughts far more eloquently, and i won't reiterate points already made.

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all I want to remind everyone that I base all I say with my experience locally,
And by the looks of things the US is a LOT different than "hell".

I guess you're right I shouldn't expect that from people I say this because people here don't even care about basic things and I just wanted to be treated right for once.

To be more specific about the closing time I rather define to some people that we close at 11:55 a second later we wont let you in, but that is just me with my unique opinions on pretty much everything.
So I always get people telling me I'm crazy and other stuff is something I have to take
I just can't change they way I think.

And about over time yes it is silly I was talking about my crazy old self I would expect every one else to be at the last moment and not do free over time.

But I didn't phrase it right.

I would however expe..

Why do I go on with this we obviously live in a different world.

In your case Sopthia now that you explained your particular job I see what you mean, however not all jobs like the one you described have that many complications.

Yes about career jobs, you see again judging locally people who haven't even finished school are in high positions here that is because everything works in a "family system" "his married to my daughter" "I owe his father a favor"
That is how things are done over here unsuitable people get positions they don't deserve because of that.

About the tired part of course I get physically tired I simply denied and I fall like a leaf to bed when I go home, that's what I meant but yet again I didn't phrase it right. (I don't seem to be able to do anything right lately)

I will just like someone to do their job because they like it I know about the money incentive that was why I worked all I worked in my life but I don't like to see people getting stressed and not doing their job properly because they don't like it at all.
But now that you mention you're right "mercenaries" are better trusted because with money their goal they will go out of hand to serve you.

And if unintentionally (again I guess I'm stupid my self) have I offended anyone I sincerely apologize, no one is beneath me because you can't get lower than me.

After all this I want to ask you all a question.

Would you rather live in the country I described but with people of ordinary intelligence?

Or you would rather live in the US as you do with the same stupid people?

I don't even see a dilemma.

This is the first time I talked about this on a forum it made me realize as I said before that this "hell" I live in is real and is happening before my eyes while you people get to live by rules and regulations.

This is the first time ever that I have even thought of killing my self but I have to hold on, I will be out of here soon.

So be happy of they way you live and work and try not to complain about some obviously stupid people, the are things a lot more worst out there and enjoy life while it lasts as best as you can.

I have nothing more to say on the subject unless any of you guys refer directly to me.

And sybillious man sorry if I offended you specifically by what I said I wasn't trying to but I guess I'm as much stupid as the people that you're talking about.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no, not implying you're stupid, since i don't know you, just that it's not what you're taking it to be, but that's a done deal.

as for a country/people, i'd go for average intelligence as long as it comes paired with common sense and the country really doesn't matter too terribly much.

i understand nepotism; it's bad, but not much can be done about it if it's a strictly family owned business-i try to avoid places like that *already worked for one and am the sorrier for it.* it's sad and frustrating to see anyone incompetent in a position of authority/responsibility, especially for those working under them-those people will be too busy cleaning up their supervisor's screw ups to accomplish much, unfortunately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: