Suikoden Utopian and Informational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Games You're Embarressed to Own
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Games You're Embarressed to Own Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, you know the ones.

These are the the kind of games that you feel the need to buy in a trenchcoat and sunglasses; where you feel the overwhelming desire at check-out to tell the clerk that "you're buying it for a friend" and that it's not yours, no, not really. You know it's going to be bad. You know you probably won't enjoy it. But you feel compelled to buy it anyway.

And then there are those games you see, and you take a chance on. Maybe you like the artwork. Maybe you think it looks interesting. But then you put it into your disc drive and .... THE HORROR hits you, and you realize you've bought as bad a game as can possibly be. So bad a game, in fact, that you can't even pawn it off to your friends (or possibly so bad you can't even mention its existence to your friends) or pawn it off on eBay. So it sits. In your home. Haunting you.

We've all made those embarrassing purchases. Now's the time to come clean, and confess it in the anonymous glory of cyberspace. XD

I'll bite first, being topic creator and all:

I own almost all the Mortal Kombat titles under the sun. Not just I and II - aka the good ones. Oh no. I own Mortal Kombat 3; I own Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3; I own Mortal Kombat 4....I even own the absolutely wretched and bug-ridden Mortal Kombat Gold. I even own Mortal Kombat Deception; when Mortal Kombat Deady Alliance goes down in price, I'll probably own that as well.

The thing is, though, that they're not good games. I know that they're not good games. They haven't been good games for over a decade now. The gameplay is stuck in 1994; the humor, sophomoric and stupid; the characters, poorly designed. And yet...every time a new one comes out, I bite...only to be disappointed again. As a result, they all lurk in the back of my closet. ^_^;

I also confess that I own Saga Frontier. And I have no defense for this one, as I bought it in 1999, long after everyone knew the game suck-diddly-ucked. But the character art was so pretty, so I thought it couldn't be that bad, and even if it was, I could at least get some interest out of the character art.

Nope.

So that one is hiding in the closet as well.

And, in my desperation for RPGs for the N64, I have to confess - I owned Quest 64. *hangs head* I'm almost afraid my RPG-player card will be revoked for that one, but damned if it doesn't feel good to finally admit that. That jive turkey managed to get brought back to the store I bought it from, but before I had time to sell it back, you bet that was doing some hardcore hiding under an old pair of gym shorts in the closet.

Well enough about me; how about you? What games are you embarrassed to own?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also got Quest 64 for the Nintendo 64 for the very same reason Sophita, it was the first RPG (well, RPG-Lite) game for the system and I just love the genre. I didn't hate the game, I was just... underwhelmed.

In a similar vein to your Mortal Kombat story, I own every WWE SmackDown! game for the PS2 since Shut Your Mouth, though I flat out refused to accept one of the PSX SmackDown! games when my friend tried to give it to me. The versions I have aren't bad, but they aren't stellar either. Usually, they will add a good feature, but for every good feature they add it seems they taketh one away. It's a minor point, but I still don't understand why no game in the past decade which has featured a cage match has ever realized you can escape the cage via the bloody door!

I once had Ys III for the Super Nintendo, which I think I may have bought partly because the art wasn't too bad and it was an RPG (also because I couldn't find Final Fantasy II anywhere) but it didn't last very long in my collection once I completed it.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I'm extremely sad cause I own those games AND I like them. I love Saga Frontier. Quest 64 wasn't all that bad. Water magic rocks! And I am the Mortal Kombat King! I used to spend hours upon hours kicked everyones butt at the arcade with Sub Zero.

Anyways as for games I own.... It's much more scary.

NES:
Sesame Street 1 2 3- This game used to be my favorite game when I was a kid, I have no idea why I still have it but um it's still in my room.

Monster Party- Probably the dumbest game in the world. And is currently lost in one of the draws in my room.

There's alot more here since I have almost every NES game ever made but those are the only ones that really sticks out.

SNES:
Total Carnage[b]- A really really dumb shooter type game. The sad thing is I still play it.

PS1:
[b]Vagrant Story
- I KNEW this game sucked and yet I still bought it. I even bought the strategy guide for it and I can't even get stomach more that 2 hours before I have to put it away.

Hrm I know I have alot more, I have way to many video games and can't remember half of them. Those are the ones I know are just horrible and am so ashamed to have and still play occasionaly. (Except Sesame Street!) Plus I like most of the other games people think are "Stupid"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zoop, for the playstation. It is the worst puzzle game I've ever played. So very boring. Level after level of the same thing. It is like buying Tetris for $30.00. A waste.

I bought Tekken. It was so horrible. I hated it. Tekken is such an aweful game. I don't know if the newer ones are good, but the original was terrible.

Last edited by Tonberry on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only game I am very embarrassed to own is Rhapsody. If you know the game and/or own a copy of it, you will understand.
Idylan Thomas

Moonlight Drive

105871 Potch
1194 Soldiers
1670 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

highwind44029 wrote:
The only game I am very embarrassed to own is Rhapsody. If you know the game and/or own a copy of it, you will understand.

The 'Musical Adventure'??..if that is what your'e talkin' about, yeah..
they sing when a battle is about to begin.
It's not that bad..
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, but it had the dubious honor of being the only Strategy-RPG that breaks into song (with the occassional dance number).

Hmm... I was a huge fan of some Barbie platforming game on the SNES-- Barbie's Dream Vacation, or some such. I never bought it, but I rented it three times.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Barbie hey? Moving along...

Wow, Sophita, your list would mimic exactly what I would have posted in this topic had I created it. Weird coincidence because I too own all of those games you speak of, and feel exactly the same way you do, utterly embarrassed and cheated out of good money. Oh well it only teaches us to be more careful in what games we buy...not that it stops us from letting history flow like a river anyway!

I also own Alundra 2...(hey it wasn't THAT bad).
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess Saga Frontier is a love or hate game, because I really love that game. I've played it over and over. The characters, plot, setting, and theme all get me. I generally like the feeling of powerlessness the SaGa series gives you, the feeling that "you're not the most important person in this world!"

Anyhow, back to the topic. I own a huge number of games, but probably the worst one is "Jet de Go!" which is a flight simulator game released in Japan, where you can be a commertial airline pilot and fly jumbo jets. The problem is that it's really boring once you take off. It can take about an hour before you finally arrive at your destination.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

I also confess that I own Saga Frontier. And I have no defense for this one, as I bought it in 1999, long after everyone knew the game suck-diddly-ucked.

I love SaGa Frontier.

And I think I only have one game which is slightly embarassing; Chip & Dale Adventures for the NES.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Monster Seed. It's a really bad pokemonish/monster rancher rip off. Yup I own Pokemon, and Monster Rancher also. I own RPG maker for the playstation, and I don't even know how to use it. Hangs head in shame.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chip and Dale is an awesome game! I still play it! I love the whole bar level. Heh ahhhh good times.

Alundra 2 wasn't that bad of a game either, I replayed that thing with the bull boss chasing you down a tree thing for hours.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Master of Monsters : Disciples of Gaia - PSOne

Quite possibly the worst tactical RPG ever created. It was so bad that GameStop refused to take it from me.

Pebble Beach Golf Links - SEGA Mega Drive (or Genesis in America)

It's a great game and I'd still play today if my Mega Drive worked but... it's golf. And outside the gaming universe, golf is as boring as hell.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I liked Saga Frontier so I can't claim that one as an embarrassment. Quest 64 was better than the first and only game I'm ashamed of buying thus far:

Aidyn Chronicles for N64

I bought it because it was trumpeted as the N64's first rpg (although Quest 64 was the first technically). And I longed for another rpg after SNES final fantasy's (and I didn't have a playstation at the time). It was an rpg wannabe at best. Awful battles, characters, and story. It was so dang hard to do anything or go anywhere and even harder to level up.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im not embarrassed by any of the games in my collection really. They are all good games.......including Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: