Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

RE4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keo

JutsuNinjas

1161 Potch
4 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: RE4 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thoghs of you who have Resident Evil 4 did you like it and thoghs of you would want it what do you know about it.

I was considering geting RE4 but am not sure if its worth while.

Does it have good replay value.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most overrated game of 2005. Hands down. The game is good but people act like the game offers some new type of gameplay or it's revolutionary. The gameplay imo is shallow, and it gets boring after awhile. RE4 suffers from "way too long syndrome". The game is just overly long for a game with such shallow gameplay like that.

The town was neat though.

Still, even with alll my complaints it's still good. Definitely the best RE..but then that's not saying much is it?
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I have heard this game is farily decent. I personally am not a fan of any resident evil since the first one. That game was really good. I have played moments of Resident Evil 4 and I have enjoyed it.

For the most part the realism is what sells it to me. When I play it, I feel like I'm playing as the character and I actually get scared and nervous as I round corners and have to pump those undead bastards full of bullets. The game goes beyond being an action shooter and becomes more of a King's Quest style game with numerour Pole Plying elements mixed in.

Compared to the earlier games where I felt the games were all rehashes of the origianl, Resident Evil 4 takes the game to a new level and introduces plenty of elements that I feel compelled to. As a big time RPG lover, I do not often stray from my genre unless a game is totally worthy of my attention. Resident Evil 4 is quickly rising on my list of non-RPG games I want to invest both money and time into. This is ironic because the movies bored me, and for the most part zombies and the like actually scare me. Like Dawn of the Dead, to me, was really scary because I'm scared something like that could heppen. I'm weird. But that is part of the thrill of playing the Resident Evil games for me. If I confront my fear, I get that rush, similar to the rush given when you take the first large plunge on a roller coaster. At first you're ike "God no!" but then once you finish the ride you're like "Damn that was great". The same with Zombies. at first I get scared and then once they're all dead I'm like frigging A that was crazy, lets do it again!

Once I can get my hands on a cheap copy of the game, I'm going to play it out because it definitely deserves it. At first when I heard of the production of Resident Evil 4 I was like "No.. not another" but I'm glad they've reinvented themselves as a decent game series. If 5 proves to be just as innovative and intriguing, you're gonna see a lot more clones of this game pop up. Again.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was never good at the Resident Evil game. I bought Code: Veronica X a few years back and it took me forever to finally beat it. I really hate fact you always have to find some really random house hold item thats generally sitting around blending it perfectly, to open the door to the next set of puzzles. Honestly the puzzles and everything about the Resident Evil games were the best part. What I hated where the Nemesis Monsters that took like 2 rounds of pistol ammo and could kill you in like 1 hit. Yeah.. generally Resident Evil games make me cranky. I'm pretty sure Resident Evil 4 isn't much of a difference.

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt it. RE4 is exponentially better than all the other ones.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Resident Evil 4 is one of my hotspots; I have debated about it allover the net I hope I won't be doing the same here.

Well Resident Evil 4 is overrated, why that is I will leave it for the overrated games thread what I can say here however is that it was more disappointing that it was fulfilling, for each step forward there was a step back, this game made so may things right and so many things wrong at the same time.

If you're a fan of the series, and I mean that with the real meaning of the word, not a fanboy a fan that truly appreciates the series you will be disappointed with the awful travesty that is the plot.

If you're not a fan and you like action/shooting games and don't pay any attention to the plot you may actually enjoy it, well as much as you can enjoy a shooting marathon.

If you don't like running around and shooting all the time and don't get exited by silly Hollywood-like set pieces then you're better off.

Is not a bad game by any means if I don't take the plot into mind I have to say is good ( that is due to some factors that make up for all the bad stuff), not great but good.

As for been better than the rest, that depends, is different than the rest, a lot different, personally I prefer most of the old ones, but that is because I got used to that awful Survival Horror controls first introduced in Resident Evil 1, if you overcome the controls of the old games and like the sometimes very smart puzzles (the ones in Nemesis were very good) then let the B-movie horror take you away.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely enjoyed Resident Evil 4. It has a very high replay factory (trying to buy new ultimate weapons that are only available through replays) as well as all the secret things you may have missed.

Is it overated? A little. I find most games tend to shy away from their ratings when hailed as "perfect" and "the greatest game of 200X"

It's definately a fun game and engrossing game, however if you're cup of tea isn't watching people get shot (with full on gore) and having gruseome grotesque things pop out of them then this definately isn't for you. I'd say it's clearly more bloody and full of gore than previous installments of Resident Evil especially due to it's nice graphics.

The plot is good and bad. Stand alone plot, it's not bad. I actually liked the seperation of the zombies from previous games to the Guado's (spelling?) in this game which aren't zombies but are being controlled by parasites. They amount to a much more troubling and engaging enemy to say the least. But as Arenegeth pointed out well - if you don't mind suspending belief then I would recommend this game.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems they really can't win. Had Resident Evil 4 have used the old fixed camera control system and a classic plotline they would have been crucified for just making another RE clone game, so they went the whole hog into redefining the Resident Evil series.

While I was a little sad to see not much involvement of Umbrella corporation or any links to the previous games like the viruses - this game isn't bad on its own. They've added a whole new dimension to ammo conservation - how many times in the old REs have you stood there with your shotgun pointed skywards waiting for a zombie to get in range? The controls to me really seemed to fit the transition to full 3D environments - did you not think it a little cheap that you used to be able to lock onto enemies in the distance and hit them without fail?

The game has flaws, but all games do - I think they have done a great job with the transition to 3D, maintaining the survival aspects while keeping a RE feel. There were less puzzles and more shoot outs, I mainly attribute this to the fact they were trying to get all their 3D ideas into one game.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the storyline now - I hope they do go back to the old umbrella zombie style...

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From the screen shots of Resident Evil 5 that I saw a while back on another forum, it looked like zombies again, and definitely the Umbrella corporation. Also, it looked like it might be Chris Redfield as the protagonist. I can try to dig the screenies up again, but that's not really what this topic is about, I guess.

As for Resident Evil 4, I remember I thought Resident Evil was the greatest thing in the world when I first played the first when when it first came out on my PSX when it was brand-new to me. Admittedly, the voice acting was horrible, and the controls were so bad it wasn't even funny. Somehow, I managed to convince myself that I needed to get Resident Evil 2 and 3. I managed to stop myself there, as I never even managed to complete Resident Evil 3 (I got to one frustrating puzzle part, got mad at the controls, and never played it again...)...

Resident Evil 4 does suffer from some of the same problems as the previous game. It still mystifies me that Leon is incapable of running with a weapon drawn, even the knife, which amplifies the hell out of the difficulty level. I don't know about you, but if I saw a town of extremely hostile villagers coming at me with rakes, I would run and fire. Not just one or the other. But that's me, and Leon is admittedly far more hardcore than I am. Further, they didn't even really change the controls, just the perspective (which does make it play about a thousand times better).

Honestly though, I thought it was pretty good...possibly the best Resident Evil installment. If you're into the survival-horror thing, then RE:4 is probably for you. I don't know how it plays on PS2, as I have the GameCube version, but I imagine it's much the same...maybe I'd have more to say if I'd managed to find the time to complete the game yet...but no, I'm just a few hours in, milling about. Standard fare for me.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know it's not the place to point it out, but for Resident Evil 5, Chris Redfield is the protaganist and it apparently he's out to settle the score with Wesker once and for all. Apparently there are zombies as well.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masaya wrote:

Quote:

I was never good at the Resident Evil game. I bought Code: Veronica X a few years back and it took me forever to finally beat it. I really hate fact you always have to find some really random house hold item thats generally sitting around blending it perfectly, to open the door to the next set of puzzles. Honestly the puzzles and everything about the Resident Evil games were the best part. What I hated where the Nemesis Monsters that took like 2 rounds of pistol ammo and could kill you in like 1 hit. Yeah.. generally Resident Evil games make me cranky. I'm pretty sure Resident Evil 4 isn't much of a difference

He he he, Masaya...maybe survival horrors are just not for you. lol. I'm actually very good at these games.

And yes, I have played this game. It is very good...and I don't really think it's overrated. Maybe compared to other survival games (since there aren't' many out there that are new).

I agree with Axis that it has very good replay value...and the unlockables are very good...much better than the other ones (extra costumes and New Game +? Psh...that bull...this is the good stuff!!)

The Ganados which means "the ones that were won over"...I know Spanish...and I think it means they were won over by that cult leader. I liked that they weren't zombies...and were much more intelligent...the chainsaw guy that chases you up the stairs at a fast pace? Hella-scary!! :cry:

It was even more funny for me because I'm pretty sure it takes place in Spain and the villagers that are chasing you around are cussing you out in Spanish like mad! It was hilarious! My mom walked in and was like "did that woman just say what I think she said?". I couldn't' stop laughing...*Michael Bolton BBQ!* Ah...it's a great game!

I loved the customizable weapons....you can increase their strength and bullet speed...and the amount of rounds that can be fire with each clip. Good stuff, y'all.

It feels a lot more mature than the other ones...if that is even possible. I liked the fact that you have to protect Ashley...it adds a lot more to the challenge. And you get to drive a boat and a water-thingies that look like motorcycles...I forget the damn name for it. Sheesh...that blind guy with the scythe-like arms...he was hard...and I didn't want to waste my rockets.

So, overall, it's an awesome game. I'm not sure if it's better than the Resident Evil remake which I love...but it's definitely up there in the ranks.

I think you should get it but don't' pay more than $25. Sorry... I'm a cheapskate...just wait until people sell their used copies...that way if you don't' like it you wouldn't feel like you got cheated. Just my opinion, Keo.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think another interesting point is that you don't have a knife to equip anymore. It's a quick and simple shoulder button to bring the knife out as you always have it on for emergencies.

Another nice aspect is the hand to hand aspect of it. You can from time to time kick or beat the Ganados in a group to knock them all back. The best part however, which I told Futch about, is when you shoot one of the villagers/priests in the shins to bring them to their knees and then run up to them. Instead of Kick you get Supplex. It looks fantastic and has a higher chance of decapitating them.

Las Plagos is the huge water beast you have to fight. Those blind Ganados with the huge retractable cat claws are insanely annoying.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It's a quick and simple shoulder button to bring the knife out as you always have it on for emergencies.

This is honestly probably one of the game's best features..instead of having to fight to reload when being swarmed by hordes of zombies, you can make quick slashing attacks. But I'm still bothered by the fact that Leon is totally unable to move while wielding a weapon. He's a freaking special forces guy in the employ of the President searching for his daughter. You would think they'd send a guy that can run with a weapon drawn...it would be hard to aim, and that's totally fine with me...but with the knife in particular, being able to move forward would be nice. I initially had trouble with zombies who were just out of reach, trying to slash them to finish them, but falling short, and then getting jumped by a bunch of them and getting grabbed before I could kick.

Quote:
The best part however, which I told Futch about, is when you shoot one of the villagers/priests in the shins to bring them to their knees and then run up to them.

The aiming system is another big improvement over previous Resident Evil games. The whole 'hold the trigger to aim then fire' bit is quite simplistic, and doesn't give you a chance to use any kind of strategy. Being able to shoot them in the knees gives you a chance to kill them quickly, or run if you're in trouble, because they really can't do anything right after they've been shot in the shins. I guess that kind of crap probably doesn't work on zombies anyway...but I'd still say it makes for something of an upgrade over a simple "hold a button then tap another repeatedly for the win" system.

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm I really don't like the "not being able to shoot and run" aspect but I don't know how they'd fix it with keeping the controls fairly simple. You'd probably get to aim at a standard height while running unless you stand, aim, run then shoot. Bah, they could probably think of something. Even a lunge attack with the knife would be nice.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. A lunge with the knife. That would correct about half the problem I had with RE4. It wouldn't be on my overrated games list anymore. I still miss Umbrella, but...I have a feeling that Resident Evil 5 will make up for it. I wonder if they're planning to end the series somewhere around 5? I guess this isn't the thread for it, but meh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: