Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is your favorite war system?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite war system?
Suikoden
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Suikoden II
72%
 72%  [ 29 ]
Suikoden III
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Suikoden IV
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, again, you'll see me siding with the majority here. In all honesty no Suikoden game has really had a GREAT system for strategic battles. Someone else has said that Suikoden I's system is just a glorified rock, paper, scissors game, and that's pretty much the truth. The thing that impressed me with the original system is that it actually gave you a soldier count, so you could get a feel for how big the battle was.

This was left out in Suikoden II, and though it's the system of choice (for me), there is a complete random factor involved, and I find it rather irritating that I can't boost my ATK and DEF numbers past 17, (And that's one or the other) especially when one considers that you're actually supposed to BEAT Yuber in one of those battles. It's mostly the randomness of the battles that I find irritating, and lack of numbers to give us an idea of scale here. That's what was missing, and hence is why I favor a battle system similar to Dynasty Tactics 2, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII. (Koei, anyone?)

As for Suikoden III, it was basically a string of random encounters. Yipee. It wouldn't be so bad, if you could control the actions of EACH MEMBER, as opposed to giving out a general order. Come on, that was the absolute worst, because we all know how the computer's AI tends to be... *cough* RETARDED *cough*

And finally there was Suikoden IV. I'm still playing through this one, but the system is mostly fun, and there for entertainment purposes. Not easy to lose, but I suppose I like it that way. I'd just as soon crush my enemies, and that's the way I like it. Little to no challenge, just fun with a great story. :mrgreen:

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II, no contest. I'm surprised no one has voted for S1 though. Sure it was just a basic rock, paper, scissors game, but it was the first game in the series and it's my second favorite after S2. I felt S4 has the worst war system, it is WAY too easy.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 3 and 4 took a step in the right direction. Your army's level and stats should determine the strength of the army itself. But the battles should be as challenging as Suikoden 2's.

With that said, I prefer Suikoden 2's battle system over the others. It's more engaging and it really does seem like the entire army is fighting.

But Konami never listens to us. I really hope they bring something like Suikoden 2's battle system back.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Suikoden 3 and 4 took a step in the right direction. Your army's level and stats should determine the strength of the army itself. But the battles should be as challenging as Suikoden 2's.

This logic shatters when you consider that you're supposed to be just one man in a vast sea of thousands of warriors. Your 125 STR and Lv 10 weapon shouldn't affect anything that much.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

suiko 2 was the greatest
Reideen

Silver Arrow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

None of them , to be true.
I can think of better Warsystems than those 4
They're not bad but...well...I wouldn't buy a suikoden-game because of the War-system ^^""
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played them all but Suikoden III's was the best.

Suikoden I: Suikoden I's was the base for the series, so the battle system would be the worst (i think). I's was ok but it wasnt that great. The worst part was i could never have someone from the Imperial Army join me becasue it was rare, no let me rephrase that: because it never happened. I liked it somewhat but it still was not that good.

Suikdoen II: Suikoden II's was the second best, i couldnt pass up a chance to say "come on Gilbo", "Gibo was wrong with you", and "i love you Gilbo". I know i get into it, and Gibo is Gilbert. Before i found out that the little person that represents the unit stoped shaking when it wasnt thier turn, i had a hard time figuring out who didnt go. Back then if i posted this then II's war system would be the worst. Also i just love the music.

Suikoden III: Ahhh Suikoden III, the best of them all. It was cool to see the characters just fight like a party battle. It made more sense just to have 3 or 4 people in a unit because there was no real army just the 108 Stars of destiny, a few Zexen knights and some Grasslanders. Another huge reason why i liked this one is because i really liked the music even more than Suikoden II.

Suikoden IV: Suikoden IV's was third on my list because it reminded my of battleship in Video game form. The only other reason is the music is good and you can play more battles by talking to Elenor.

So to summerize up: Suikoden III was first, Suikoden II was second, Suikoden IV was third and Suikoden I was fourth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wraith

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 2's battle system was great.There was strategy in it while in S3(not being the story of a war like in S1 and S2 and S4)it seemed logical that they had the Fire Bringer's(108 SoD's and some soldiers).Still the S2 system felt like a real war.I liked the S4 Ship battles but they where far too easy,they should put somthing like S2 War system in the next game.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I's battle system was good, but not really as good as the others.

Suikoden II's battle system was better then S1's battle system. It had some strategy and more options.

Suikoden III's battle system is probabably the best. It has actual fighting in it, and you need to be halfway good with strategy to do good at it.

Suikoden IV's battle system was a good idea, but too easy in the long run. It could have been better done, and more epic and difficult.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoa, I'm definately in the minority here, I loathed Suikoden 2's battle system. I hate the way it never allows me to win when I want. Many of the battles I try to win as fast as possible and the experience is ruined when one crappy Highland unit manages to survive for 3 rounds by itself :@.
Also the fact that you could be winning 10 units to 1, and then Apple appears and says you must retreat, yeah that annoys me a lot.
Also the music is all choppy in the major battles in my game.

I dislike Suikoden 3's major battles because it never fells like you are leading an army, something I have always though as crucial to a Suikoden game.

That leaves Suikoden 1 and 4...

I liked Suikoden 4's battle system for about 5 minutes, until I was boarded and lost the Dauntless. Unlike other Suikoden game, I didn't really care to improve, that game drains my spirit or something :S.

And that's why I'm the only person to have voted Suikoden 1 so far :D.
Although the battles are far too easy at the end, that's only after you get 3 ninjas, and even then I love the simplicity of it :D.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the S2 war,the customization thing and the movement remember me the old FFTactics long days,and the guys screaming when fight sure os like children playing,its really funny.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden III's system is my favorite, the moving spaces idea was pretty nice...
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Call me old, call me traditional, but I still love and prefer the first war system over the others because it gave more meaning and role to the 108 stars, everyone had a part in the war game and everyone is needed to power their regiment, it gave another meaning to gather all the stars.

Suikoden II's war system was fun and might have added a little bit of strategy to the wars, but it was still simple, maybe more realistic for not having the unplayable characters, but still, it would make more sense for the other unplayable Stars of Destiny to do a simple thing as supporting the others in battle, and yes, some might say that they do support in the castle by for example making the food, singing to raise their morals, or even washing the clothes, but the kind of support I'm talking about is using the same abilities inside the battle, for example like returning some of their health in battle, raising their powers or maybe giving more defense power by the power of song (Jongleur Rune maybe, yeah I know they don't have any in Suikoden II, but still, let them use some of their own powers for once) or making them toasty and more cleaner than their enemies (secret power, won't tell it's affects ;p), things similar to that, things that makes everyone useful in real war.

Now, Suikdeon III, in my opinion, more engaging with the war in a way, but not having control on your characters action's is a downfall (talking about each characters action in here), nonetheless, I loved seeing my characters fighting so closely, even though it looked more like a gang fight rather than two armies at war.

Suikoden IV, well, what can I say about it, fighting on water is fun, but just like Suikdeon II, this war system is simple and easy, maybe less strategy in here, even though I liked how almost everyone has a role in here, but still, it didn't feel complete to me.

For some reason, I thought that Suikoden IV had war battles on land, I don't know what gave me the idea, but I remember seeing in one of the old trailers something like two tiny red armies fighting each other (similar to Suikoden II's war battles where the two armies run at each other when engaged), but since I can't find it then I might have been dreaming or something.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh... I'd have to say that none of Suikoden's war systems are excellent. However it is still great to have them because they add that epic feel to the game.

Suikoden 1- Short, sweet, and simple. It's not complex at all and isn't realistic. It's also damn easy. Still it's great because of the humor and fun of it. Plus it does a good job of showing a lot of troops on the field.

Suikoden II- It's great to have the ability to choose lieutenants, and the basic strategy is great. But the stupid random damage! ARGH! So frustrating! That is the fall of humanity right there. Bleh. I remember how Max, Oulan, and someother dope took down half the Highland army in the final battle. What the hell?

Suikoden III- Suikoden III hit one thing right on the head: character balance. The combination of 4 independent groups and this battle system meant that you had to use many different characters- not just a few characters you love and a couple story required characters. The auto system was annoying, but I learned to live with it. My biggest problem is the lack of war feel. It really was just a small group fighting another small group. It made the war feel so ragtag and small.

Suikoden IV- Nice idea, combining II and III, but rune cannons were awful. Maybe if the enemy didn't have idiotic rune setups, this would have been good. Troy was the only challenge in the whole game, and that was just one battle. Yuck.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II definately.

Suiko 1 didn't take much thought since the ninja were so cheap, and it seemed like all we saw was sieges.

Suiko 2 - it incorporated REAL strategies - flanking enemies, reinforcements, and you saw the actual battleground on a grand scale. Archers fire from a distance and the unit special abilities were great. The people that didn't like this system IMO didn't take the time to learn it. Unit customisation was great and battles took a long time like they should.

Suiko 3 - similar to 2 I guess, strategy was coming into play here however since the battles were 4 man parties it felt like skirmishes rather than war. I seemed to lose some characters from active service ( piccolo was great in thomas' story yet I couldn't use him once flame champ came ) - characters used useless runes and abilities in a limited time battle.

Suiko 4 - the ship battles were interesting, but with a strong party you could just pack them onto a fast boat and ram all your enemies for an easy win. Never fought more than 4 enemy units ( or less ) and therefore it again felt like pirates fighting pirates rather than a military fleet. They should have done the RoP use like Luc's True Wind in GS2 - show 15 ships against your 2 then after a few rounds RoP and take it down to 3 or something.

SO IN SUMMARY - Suiko 2 was the only one that really felt like armies battling, and had great strategies. Reinstating this battle system can only do good things if they ever restore an old battle style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: