Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Characters Protecting Others, and Other Neat Gameplay Aspects of Suiko
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Many characters did it in Suikoden III actually. They did the position swapping defense. The mercenaries did it as well as Chris and many others. The character would swap places with another ot gaurd.

Haha, was that what that was?

I thought it was a glitch in the game. It happens when they change something. :oops:

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy007 wrote:
Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Many characters did it in Suikoden III actually. They did the position swapping defense. The mercenaries did it as well as Chris and many others. The character would swap places with another ot gaurd.

Haha, was that what that was?

I thought it was a glitch in the game. It happens when they change something. :oops:

Yes, that was what that was. Just some protection. Even if it did more hurt than good.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually marshmallow, Millay guarded the hero4 as [SPOILER] Millay has a crush on Hero4
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i only mentioned those pairs simply because i can vouch for their actions, not because i didn't think others could, thanks.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guarding seems more like a random system in this game. There are times when Keneth protected Paula, and one of them protecting the hero. Someone has claimed Aldo guarding the hero, and another said Mitsuda guarded Rita. Also, recently when Ted was at critical, the hero protected him. Which is strange since the hero doesn't really have much of a relationship with him, other then they both have true runes. So I think it's random.

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guarding feature has always been fun... In S1, of course we know that all of Tir's servants guards him. Those should be 100% occurance if he's HP is in critical i think... There're also others, like Kirkis protecting Sylvina and such.

S2 had them too. Nanami would protect Riou and Jowy would protect Nanami. I can't remember if Riou would protect Nanami as well though... Mostly were characters who are related to each other in some sense. This held true for all four suikodens.

Sheena on the other hand protects all females though... Except for some special ones...

In S3, some times it's more of just protecting the weak. S3's protecting feature doens't usually require the target character to be in critical HP. Sometimes it works even if their HP is full. But this happens on certain conditions i think, which i'm not entirely sure what they are. For example, Chris almost always protects a character like Piccolo from physical attacks.

They're definitely unrelated, but since Chris takes 1 damage while piccolo would take say.... 100 or something, the reasoning is there. However, sometimes, depending on how the enemy attacks and their position, Chris sometimes fails to switch position with Piccolo. Of course, i'm sure there're many other examples, but since for me, i witnessed Chris and Piccolo the most often, i cited them.

Protecting in S3 was definitely a more random thing than the other suikodens. You'll get to see enemies protect each other as well. Especially in major battles... Zexen and Harmonian Knights would sometimes protect critical HP comrades. And i guess the pattern is that the "heroic" characters or those with high defensive capabilities would protect the "weaker" and more frail characters...

S4 reverted to the related protecting feature. Just like Millay would protect Hero4. Anyway, i'm pretty sure Gretchen and Helga would as well since they ARE his bodyguards... The Razril knights i think all protect each other...

Anyway, yeah... This feature in Suikoden is very neat IMO, and they should always keep this feature on. And also the becoming berserk when someone important falls feature. They better keep that as well too...
Eternal Wind

Silver Wind

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Star Ocean 2 also had the go bezerk when character dies on some characters. Of course, that, AFIK was a problems sometimes because mage couldn't cast when bezerked
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

during gameplay in siv, sigurd took hits for characters with low hp, not just hero; has anyone else noticed other siv characters doing this as well *outside of millay*?

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, syb. It turns out all the characters protect each other in Suiko4. I realised that too. There need not be any relationship between them (Other than being party mates, of course.).
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm, kinda takes away that 'special' feeling when you see it, i guess; another wonderous feature used, abused and made mundane. yay.

Lena Suphina

Luna Azul

7653 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only saw it in my Sui3 game where Fred protected Rico. That was awesome.

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In suiko3, they only guard the person they are partnered with. For example, in your case, Fred is probably in front, and Rico behind, so when Rico is in danger of being hit, they swap posit tion. This is different from 2 and 4 (I can;t remember if 1 had this aspect). 2 only allows blocking if the blocker is related to the person being blocked, or if the knight rune is attacked, whereas 4 allows anyone to protect anyone.

*reads what he wrote*

Hmm... Not making much sense, I am? :?
Roger

Chain Brigade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it Halberdier!

Suikoden 1 and 2 had the related system. I saw Hiz and Tengaar, all of McDohl's servants protecting him, and I think Kasumi and McDohl (what a cute couple.)
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did some testings, and apparently for S3, the switching place protecting feature is random indeed. As long as the paired characters have a vast difference in defence, the one superior in defence very often protects the one weaker in defence regardless of hp. THis of course applies only for physical attacks. Runic/magic attacks don't work.

FOr example, the knight characters like those who can equip armors and have a insane amount of defence very often protect those in low defence such as mages. Chris, Fred, Mua, Ceccile were such characters. I think that as long as they have a high enough defence, or if the partner is of critical HP, this sometimes happen. I've also seen relationship protects too though... Like Ace for Joker, Futch for Sharon, Ceccile for Thomas, Sarah for Luc that sort of thing...

Of course, for S1,2,4 it's mainly based off the relationship thing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: