Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Characters Protecting Others, and Other Neat Gameplay Aspects of Suiko
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Characters Protecting Others, and Other Neat Gameplay Aspect Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look at that long title!

Well, I was playing the other day, with Millay, Viki and Rita in my party, trying to get the nymph attack. One enemy set (which was actually allies because I was in the training hall) would continually whittle the Hero's HP with physical attacks, until he ended up in the critical stage with few HP left. On a strike that most probably would have killed him, Millay jumped in front of him and took the hit. I found this incredibly cool because of two reasons. One, there is no Knight Rune (To my knowledge) in Suikoden IV, and there surely wasn't one equipped on Millay. And Two, Millay is one of three people who are the Hero's Self-Appointed bodyguards, along with Helga and Gretchen. Is it possible for those three to all protect the hero? Do stats have any effect to it, or is it purely random (I'm no good with mathematical formulas and such, thusly, I made this topic)? I also faintly recall another character taking a hit for a non-hero character, but I can't recall whom. Therefore, my hypothesis is that, if characters are connected in certain ways, there's a certain percentage chance that they'll take hits for another character if they're critical. For example, I'd assume that Sigurd, Hervey and Dario would be able to protect Kika if she had little HP left. Can anybody reinforce/ disprove this theory.

Also, I guess this thread can serve the dual purpose of being a discussion on other strange occurrences in Suikoden IV (for example, if anybody finds any more failed unite attacks, etc). Or if anyone has used a Codebreaker to look for new runes, etc (I know there are some available for codebreaker use, but has anybody actually used 'em and gotten an effect?)
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Protects were a feature in S1 that they got rid of in S2 and S3 and replaced with the KO berserk feature. I guess they brought it back in S4. I actually thought it was pretty cool. Glad to see it back.

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no, they still had it, but with fewer characters; miklotov would take hits for others, as would geddoe.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's cool. I never saw Geddoe do that. Miklotov I know did because of the Knight Rune. That's weird, though. The games have been out for this long and that's the first time I've heard of protects in the middle games.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Many characters did it in Suikoden III actually. They did the position swapping defense. The mercenaries did it as well as Chris and many others. The character would swap places with another ot gaurd.
Reideen

Silver Arrow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw it ,too a just while ago.
I was pretty surprised.
Well I think its great to have this feature back again 'cause its kinda heroic *lol*
I mean to remember that certain characters protect those who they're attuned most more than others...but I can't tell if this is right or not...it's been a while since I played GS1
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, this little nuance has been in Suikoden from the start. The only one I really remember using is that Hix will take damage for Tengaar, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think Wakaba took hits for LC Chan? I'll have to go back and double check.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh I think...other Suikoden 2 charas do it for eachother, which is sad because it may make people think they "are a couple" but I was supprised to see random people defending others low on HP when in battle for the S4. They "had nothing to do with eachother" you know, not siblings, not lovers, not bodygaurds. Juts genuine...well. Humanity.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spell Breaker

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I noticed that in III when I was fighting Chris in Geddoe's Chapter 1. I always thought it was a quirk due to turn order. Usually when I had someone attack Chris on the first turn, she would switch places with a knight who would then get attacked by one of my characters then would attack right after. I don't think I ever saw that happen afterwards which is why I thought it a quirk.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, while looking at the title, I think this might be a good time to mention that, it was supposed to say "Characters Protecting Others and Other Neat Aspects of Suikoden IV" but it got cut off.

That said, try to keep any discussion to Suikoden IV only.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it doesn't happen constantly, more of a random thing; i noticed it seems to happen most often with aila in your party...and her paired with him.

came in handy for handling the sindar ruins, i must say; she was still pretty weak at that point, so i was surprised to see him switch with her and take the hit in her place.

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um...I might be mistaken (and correct me if I am), but I believe that "protecting" only happens in Suikoden 3 with paired characters. It's the "buddy system", remember? I noticed that only paired characters would switch places, but I might have missed something.

And if you search Suikoden websites, you can find lists of characters that defend each other. Basically, if the characters have something in common with each other, they'll likely protect one another. Nanami will take hits for Riou, Freed will take hits for Yoshino, Gremio will take hits for McDohl, Miklotov will take hits for anyone (because of his rune), and such.

Suikoden 4 is no different than the first two games..at least in THIS respect. Don't get me started on everything else -_- Of course, having Jeane in your party ruins finding out who will actually protect who, since anyone will protect her.

Then there is the Phero Rune of Suikoden 1 (found by killing Target Lady types outside Kaku) and Suikoden 2 (purchased at Sajah after deafeating the Beast Rune or by the guardian statue deity). Any character equipped with the Phero Rune will be protected when critical by any member of the opposite gender.

^Actual quote!
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

read my post; that's what i said-they were paired.

i'd forgotten that humphrey does this as well in sII, as far as others go, i'm sure there are more than just those few.

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are many more than those few.

^Actual quote!
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has been there since the first and second installment. I know Gremio, Cleo and Pahn protect Tir whenever he's weak, and Nanami, Jowy and Oulan do likewise to Riou. Does anyone know where to find a list of who protects who throughout all the Suiko games?

ETA: I know during the first two games, guarding rate is 100%, as long as the person being guarded has red health.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: