Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

British Election

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: British Election Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not the most politically inclined person but I went and voted for this today, the results should start coming in soon and from the poll results things seem to be indicating a Labour win and another term in government for Tony Blair. The question is how big will the majority be if he is in?

The alternatives to Blair were Howard with the Conservative party and Charles Kennedy with the Liberal Democrats.

Anyway, since I'm not that informed about things I will leave it to other to discuss their thoughts on the parties in general, I'm sure you foreigners can chip in with opinions on Mr. Blair as well, what do you think of the prospect of him for 4 more years?

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both of the big two main parties have disgusted me with their tactics and if I was actually British I definatly would not vote for either. I'd be voting Lib Dem. Both Labour and Tory attempts to remove them for the race (ie "A vote for Lib Dem is a vote for Labour" and "A vote for Lib Dem is a vote for the Tories" is a common theme) have endeared me to them.

Outside of that, someone needs to smack the UKIP in the face. Guess what? Europe isn't out to get you, NO-ONE CARES! And how on earth can the BNP be getting any votes in the 21st century?

So, yeah, Liberal Democrats are the way to go for me. If I was British.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Charles Kennedy is the most trusted leader, but no one thinks he has the leadership qualities to run this country....i voted Lib Dem, the lesser of three evils! I'll never trust a politician....its all backstabbing, underhanded scare tactics.......

There was a whole page dedicated to jokes about the Lib Dems in the sun the other day - the day before, a massive indepth spread on why we shouldn't vote lib dems.....the article twisted and exaggerated lib dem policies to make them look like the work of the devil was horrible.

I should vote Monster Raving Loony......Or the Green Party.....save the trees....abolish cars....smoke weed....it may be a plant....but its giving us something back man.

Oh yeah...ban tuesdays.....employ eggs as currency...add more letters to the alphabet...save this country.

oh...and bartering - i'll trade you a pig for this fine cow and some oily rags,

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My bet is on Labour winning, but loosing some of their massive majority - I'm hearing on NPR that according to exit polls, they're going down from around a 160 seat majority down to 65ish majority.

Personally, I am down with the Liberal Democrats...if I were British, I would have voted for them. All for centralist goverment, yay. (Although now that Blair has shifted Labor, I suppose they're the most leftleaning...Which kind of fits the name.) I think they've got some good ideas - free education (well, education grants), open government, etc. They'll never win the majority of seats, but I sure hope they get some.

Seraph, I would trade you a fine cow, but only if you throw in a sheep and 2 mechanical pencils. Pig alone doesn't put food on the table, you know.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Lib Dems are doing better than they ever have so far i'm pleased to say.

Its funny how every forum i'm reading seems to majorly cite the Lib Dems as their choice....maybe its just the age group....

I like their free education policies as well...all i ever heard Blair do was promise education imrpovements that weren't delivered in the way promised. and now he's preaching a strobger economy...how i fear for this country....No Tories in Scotland.....

Sophita - I'll throw in a sheep as well if you'd like (it seems sheep are popular these days - an amusing animal indeed) An old school penny farthing as well, that'll put some food on your table queen. i here its hard times in falena. i'll throw a runic relic as well......ahhh.....magic.....

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Labour looks set to win with a slimmer majority than last time so you called it right Sophita, my vote was used with cutting that majority in mind so I voted against Labour and with the Lib Dems (the popular vote here it seems). I would prefer a more balanced parliament so it's harder for each party to seek out it's own agendas, that was my thought process anyway. Like I said I'm no political know-it-all.

I for the most part dislike all political parties and politicians, I feel they do what they do for votes and not with the best intentions in mind, I feel they're for the most part simply power hungry but that's me and my cynicism.

Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the result was rather predictable...moreso than something tinny like the Eurovision song contest.

Here in glasgow, the candidates wouldn't share a stage with the BNP candidates...good on them....DOWN WITH FACISM! i can't believe these facist parties are allowed to exist. i'd put my trust in the MRLP before i would evil idiots like the BNP or the UKIP even.

Once again though, the elctoral system falters - Labour only had around 30% of the votes....and thats enough to win over the whole damn country. sometimes i wish thet'd emply a proportional representation system. because the Scotland would be partly ruled by the Lib Dems. although i dislike the SNPs preachy patriotism.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, the system works the best. It's more democratic than the United States for one and a lot of other nations. Labour got 30% of the vote, but no-one else got more.

And as much as I hate the BNP and parties of its ilk, in a democratic system, they have the right to run. The problem is in the fools who vote for them.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Eh, the system works the best. It's more democratic than the United States for one and a lot of other nations. Labour got 30% of the vote, but no-one else got more.

And as much as I hate the BNP and parties of its ilk, in a democratic system, they have the right to run. The problem is in the fools who vote for them.

True, but a HUGE 70% of this country don't want Blair in power.The system is awful, and the two main parties use nothing but scare tactics. Howard is resigning. Thats his own fault for focusing his campaign on himself. he should keep one eye open, he's going to be stabbed in the back.

I am aware that proportional representation would probably be a step backwards (they haven't used that system for years....and i'm talking a serious amount of time....) and one election we'll get about 1% in it.......hmmm.....there has to be a way to harness a stronger electoral system. i still disagree.

As for your latter point, totally agreed. proportional representation would lead to the possibility of facists running parts of this country. god forbid.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So who should be PM? The men who got even less votes than Tony Blair? :? No election really works with a huge majority, you're never going to have a PM waltz in with 51% of the votes, it can't work, especially in a multiple-party system. The parties tactics for this campaign were terrible but not a symptom of the system but more a symptom of voter apathy. When people vote for a party just because they always have or their parents did, or because Tony Blair has a nice smile, you know there is a problem.

How many seats did the SNP get anyway? Hooray for Scottish independence! Throw off your shackles! Mel Gibson! Freedom! Et cetera!
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The SNP got about six seats or something.. SNP have often been a fart in the wind in recent times, when in the 60s they actually meant something.

I'm Scottish and I can't say I'm surprised with the results. Looking at the results in terms of regions, it seems that the Lib Dems had a lot of success in Scotland.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lib dems seem more popular as a whole in Scotland and Wales, or that's just where I was noticing them gaining seats as I watched, possibly they're more popular in Scotland for Charles Kennedy being Scottish himself? I don't really know but it's a possibility.

kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seraph wrote:

I should vote Monster Raving Loony......Or the Green Party.....save the trees....abolish cars....smoke weed....it may be a plant....but its giving us something back man.

Oh yeah...ban tuesdays.....employ eggs as currency...add more letters to the alphabet...save this country.

oh...and bartering - i'll trade you a pig for this fine cow and some oily rags,

awww cute. too bad we need trees for oxygen, filtration and OMG errosion and food (maple sryup, fruit, monkeys)

and why not add more letters to the alphabet? its just we'll need a system overhaul. I thinkits cool other laungages have word-characters. if I can go *insert symbol* for "the' its a lot less problems for me.

save this country? which one...do you mean like pointing fingers overseas or "save ourslefs" ?

as for "smoke weed" why stop there, sure good old Cannibis is harmless compaired to opium or somthing, to many people place importance on fun-drugs. this is the only flame I'll agree with. its not snake oil.

and your trade is awfull. a pig for a fine cow an oily rags....shame on you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be good if Blair becomes Prime Minister again. Although he isn't very popular, he's been a strong supporter of the War on Terrorism. I disagreed with the war at first, but now I think it is a good thing; we are starting to see some positive outcomes. Afghanistan and Iraq now has a democratically elected leader, and Lebanon was able to free itself from Syrian opression. Although Bush and Blair look silly, and may not be the sharpest tool in the box, as long as these two are in power you can be assured that someone would be fighting the terrorists.

I can't believe what I just said, someone hit me hard or something! :cry:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: