Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Manga or Anime?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Anime or Manga?
Anime
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Manga
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 33

Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

malicesoul wrote:
BTW...are all mangas black and white? If so, then why is that?

I don't actually know, but my educated guess would be price. It would definitely cost a lot more if you bought a manga that's all colored. And it would take a long time and more effort for the coloring. Yes, our beloved comic artists are too lazy. :lol:

malicesoul wrote:
Definitely anime since I like action. Many fight and action scenes just isn't the same without motion and music acompanying it.

That is true, but that's the ideal of anime. But not a lot of animes can capture the moment as sometimes the music isn't that good, or the animation is kind of lame in some. One example for me is Naruto. In the Manga, the fight scenes are a lot more intense and dynamic. But that fail to capture that intensity in a number of the fight scene in the anime. But that's how i feel.

Granted, there are animes which have really good animation and music to boost, the primary example for me would be Shadow Skill and El Hazard: The Magnificent World. but there are a lot of animes that are like Naruto, which have a few good fight scenes e.g. Rock Lee vs. Gaara.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I think manga are in black and white because of price. Most Japanese manga I know are actually first printed on magazines, like Weekly Jump and Weekpy Sunday, etc. Those magazines are pretty thick, and if it was all in color, I think the artist will die!! Coloring is pretty tough work! Also, the mags will be really expensive!!
VAD

Dark Centurion

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i prefer anime simply because with manga you can't experience the tension build up and other types of dramatical effect that you can get from anime. for example in bleach when there is a fight you can see when the characters are suffering by the way that they move and by how laboured the speech is, another more specific example could be in bleach episode 57...

warning spoilers

...when ichigo and byakuya are fighting and he releases his soul slayer and you tnihk its going to hit ichigo but he easily parrys it and cuts him, there are other, scenes more tence scenes but i forget easily :? :?
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should really add a niether column, because honestly I think they both suck.

Julious Cezar
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1: Why you like that medium better than the other.

Manga. Since I'm Chinese, manga translations from Japanese to Chinese is usually cheaper than from the newer Japanese to English format. I have never liked the latter translations, though to say the truth, I am more articulate in English than in Chinese. No offence meant to non-Chinese speakers, but I seriously think some of the dialogue sucks when translated to English. Then again, that's only my opinion.

Also, in mangas, you can see the development of the artist in his/her artwork over the time. For example, Yu Yu Hakusho started out pretty inane, but later the characters became more well drawn and were better developed. I like to see that. Anime allows you to only see the finished cells, the end product in other words. I'm not saying that they didn't put enough effort into the making of the animes as well but I suppose I do appreciate a manga more when I can see the changes develop over time. It's also nice to see comments from the artists on the difficulties of their work and their own comments on the characters they made.

At any rate, I choose to think that good readers prefer Manga, whereas good tv watchers prefer Anime. I'm not entirely against Anime, some actually do look better than the manga itself. Sadly, that's not always the case. Yu Gi Oh fans are recommended not to read my next comment: For example, Yu Gi Oh translated in English for the anime earns 5 thumbs down.

2: Give examples of some series you like from that medium.

That's sort of a hard question to answer. I've collected over 100 series in manga and I believe I hit 1,000 mangas somewhere 3 to 4 years ago (I was keeping a record of the mangas I had, but that stopped when I moved). But that's collected over more or less 10 years. I believe I have hit 2,000 somewhere last year and I now have 3 bookcases and 3 cabinets full of manga. I'm not exaggerating and I can take those pictures of those book shelves if you want (the cabinets are located on top of my closet and I'd rather not climb, thank you very much).

Not to mention that I collect other types of "manga" as well, though I won't suppose the non-Chinese to know about them. They originate in Hong Kong and Taiwan and are released exclusively in Chinese. Those I believe I have about 500 to 600...

Needless to say, as my mangas are Japanese-Chinese translated, I mostly know only the Chinese names given to them, but I'll try my best.

The titles below don't represent anything, just the ones that were more memorable for me.

Anime:
1. Slam Dunk (Inane, but easy on the eyes.)
2. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
3. Metal Idol Key (Probably what got me interested in the Ghost In The Shell series.)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho (Well, it does have a lots of things that the manga neglected to give details about. But that's about it.)
5. RG Veda (This is a very old one. I remember that I was around 11~12 when I watched it. Sadly, it was never finished, or it did, but I never saw any copies of how the anime presented the manga ending. This can be said to be one of my favorites.)
6. Flame Of Recca. (I seriously preferred the manga over the anime though.)
7. Matentai Ragnorok Loki (Decent, but nowhere near the manga. Too much angst. It is a tragedy-based manga but they didn't need to overdo it.)

Manga:
1. Yu Yu Hakusho (Believe it or not, I was initiated into the manga world by this. )
2. Black Jack (Old series, very old.)
3. Sailormoon (Laugh all you want, but the manga is better than the anime. And I was a kid! :D )
4. Hajime no Ippo (Sai gave me the name of this series. Where I come from, this series is named "Fight!".)
5. Flame Of Recca. (Yes, I do have the manga series for this.)
6. RG Veda (I couldn't find the anime, so I had to settle for the manga instead.)
7. Inuyasha. (Back when I started this, there wasn't anyone else I could find to discuss it. Now that there's an anime about it, everyone knows it. Figures. <rolls eys>)

3. Other Comments

Starslasher wrote:
Plus, it's cheaper to get manga and just as enjoyable. Cheaper in both the sense of downloading and also in buying.

I defer. The cost of the mangas is not cheap, especially when you buy the way I do (which I doubt many of you do but this is my take on the matter).

Well, that's about it.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Optimistic Pessimistic wrote:
I defer. The cost of the mangas is not cheap, especially when you buy the way I do (which I doubt many of you do but this is my take on the matter).

Do you know how much a volume of a regular Japanese Manga (translated into English) costs? nearly $15 Australian (equals to about $10 Aerican)!! I would rather get a DVD with the anime on it, since it would be about the same price, but would go through the story three times faster. But in Japan, it must be cheaper. Well, i guess.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Do you know how much a volume of a regular Japanese Manga (translated into English) costs? nearly $15 Australian (equals to about $10 Aerican)!! I would rather get a DVD with the anime on it, since it would be about the same price, but would go through the story three times faster. But in Japan, it must be cheaper. Well, i guess.

I wouldn't know actually. And you were saying that buying the manga was cheaper as opposed to buying the anime. Your exact quote is below. Please tell me if I interpreted it wrongly.

Starslasher wrote:
Yes, i love both anime and manga. Out of those two, i would prefer reading manga. I find the story in manga to have a better flow than in animes. ... Plus, it's cheaper to get manga and just as enjoyable. Cheaper in both the sense of downloading and also in buying.

Was I wrong to have responded as I have?

Here in Singapore, english translations of manga are few and far apart, though there has been a growing trend. I suppose the average english translation of a few mangas can be bought for SGD$6 per book. But the chinese translations generally cost only SGD$4.80 per book. Variety-wise, English manga translations are still sorely lacking.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dude, are you stalking me?? How did you get that quote?

As for buyingthe manga, i could buy them. And they are cheaper than dvds. But you can get those special offers where they would be cheaper than $14, but they usually are more expensive, like $20 or so. And if they are, then it's not by much.

No, you were not wrong to respond as you had. I just did not elaborate, sorry about that.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Dude, are you stalking me?? How did you get that quote?

LOL. No, I'm not stalking you. It just happened to be something I saw and wanted to respond to when I started reading this thread before giving my opinion about the topic.

Starslasher wrote:
As for buyingthe manga, i could buy them. And they are cheaper than dvds. But you can get those special offers where they would be cheaper than $14, but they usually are more expensive, like $20 or so. And if they are, then it's not by much.

No, you were not wrong to respond as you had. I just did not elaborate, sorry about that.

LOL. I could offer to buy and ship the English manga translations to you when they pop up, but then again, that takes a little too much energy, for both you and me. Besides, I think you have more variety for such translations wherever you are than in SIngapore, where majority of manga fans are still Chinese.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tend to favor anime over manga, probably because I'm a very visually oriented person, and anime is a little more visually stimulating.

As for examples of the genre that I like: Cowboy Bebop, Last Exile, Martian Successor Nadesico, Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars, amd almost anything from Miyazaki. I also sometimes like to watch something that's a little less "deep", and then I'll watch Azumanga Daoih or Animation Runner Kuromi or something. ^_^
Mitani

Yumi Regataar

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I usually like Manga better than anime because of the simple fact that the manga usually has more content that when they decided to make the anime, they just left out. There are a few exeptions to this, like when the anime is made first then followed by the manga, or when the anime and manga dont really have anything in common other than the characters.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like manga more, since in Indonesia one book would price up to Rp. 11.000, which is about.. maybe one dollar or so. In which, contains about 100+ pages. The reason I think it's cheap, is probablt because of the paper quality. But nevertheless, entertaining and worth it. Meanwhile, a cd volume of an anime series here would price up to Rp. 24.000, which only contains four episodes and has double the price.
Daycon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, it really depends on the director. For example: I love Naruto the manga but I think it's Anime leaves much to be desired. Inu-Yasha's anime was very similar to the manga (they were paced the same anyway). One Piece was boring in both. A good director can take a book of pictures and turn it into a great anime. A mediocre director can only do so much before the job out matches his skill. Does that make sense?

R.O.D was very well paced. As was Chrono Crusade. I don't know if those were anime's first or if they were manga's first, but those directors deserve awards or something.

"Being eaten by an alligator isn't bad. It?s like going to sleep....in a giant blender."
Raven

Blood Angel Sages

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love both anime it has the feel of movement but manga I think has more feel altogether and they tend to put stuf in manga that they wont put into anime.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although I like both anime and manga, I find that anime is more appealing to me. I can't really explain why. I suppose it is not having to read and instead being able to listen to their voices. I have no problem with reading though. I just don't read mangas as much as I watch animes.

My favorite animes are Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Full Metal Alchemist.

Truthfully, I enjoyed the Hellsing anime more than the comic. Though the comic did tell some things that were left out in the anime. Like the organization behind the freak chips ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: