Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Manga or Anime?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Anime or Manga?
Anime
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Manga
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 33

Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Manga or Anime? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay guys, I want to know which of these two mediums for Japanese animation you like best: manga or anime. and I'm going to need to know a few things, such as:

Tell me why you like that medium better than the other.

Give examples of some series you like from that medium.

And now that I've set up the ground rules, I'll give you my preferences.

I myself prefer the manga over anime because I feel that it is more involved than the anime. If you compare the manga and the anime of the same series, you will likely find that the manga is more complete, with less plotholes and brief summaries. I also feel that the charaters are more developed in the manga than the anime, and also that there is more storyline in the manga to bring about this development.

Some of my favorite mangas would be: Ranma 1/2, Hellsing, Berserk, Hikaru no Go, Flame of Recca, Full Metal Panic, and Saiyuki.

I look forward to everyone's replies.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't decide which I like better, manga give a japanese feel to it, however Anime gives voice to the words.

Animes currently watching: Cowboy Bebop, and Shaman King (1 piece is ruined!!!!)
Mangas currently reading: Saiyuki (I got a quote in my sig), Naruto, Rave Master (erm, *coughs* yeah...), Louie the Rune soldier, and a shojo I forget the name of, maybe this desription will help: Girl from America goes to Japan to see her favorite track star, really likes him. Some people may say Shojo is for girls (not trying to be sexist here) but I feel it adds emotion to an other wise, erm...how to put this..., Action packed book?

I didn't vote btw, I would like to vote for both :mrgreen:

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer manga because it usually is the first form of art that a series is created. There are some exceptions like Mai-Hime where the anime was created first (thus the Anime looked pretty neat) but when it comes to the overall story, nothing beats manga. You have to create a lot of the action when it comes to manga because the characters never move. That in itself enables the reader to get absorbed in the manga to create their own image of what's going in.

There's nothing wrong with Anime, but it leaves little to the imagination since all the action is taking place in front of your eyes. All you can do is play it back in your head and change the outcomes and events if you see fit.

Although, I will say that action oriented Anime like Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, Naruto, Ruroni Kenshin, Mai Hime, etc. look much better in Anime, provided that their artists know what they are doing.

I'm not reading much of anything right now except Negima. It's a lot better as a manga for now since there aren't too many fighting scenes. But by the time book 6 and beyond rolls around, I expect that to change.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't watch much anime, save for Read Or Die so I really prefer manga, which I current read: Saiyuki, Suikoden III, Chobits and DNAngel. I'll be picking up a few more soon.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dark Horizon Angel wrote:
...Anime gives voice to the words.

That is another thing that I feel falls through on the anime's side. If they have good Seiyuus/Voice actors, then the series is good or even better. However, poor VAs can mean destroying a series. (Excel's VA in Excel Saga was horrendous. The Seiyuu was fine, but the screeching, scratchy NA VA was bad. like, worst VA ever bad.)

Then again, I'm very particular when it comes to watching anime. I always will watch a series with the original Seiyuus, and I have subtitles on. The same thing goes with video games. I just prefer playing my games with Japanese voices.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like to watch cartoons.... but was angry at how they stoped the Berserk series befor it really ends so had to ask my asian buddy to read the manga past the part they leave off on the cartoon... such a pain for such a great serise
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm anime all the way.

Oh, and I have absolutely nothing against manga, at all. In fact, manga has some of the most beautiful works of art that exist. The detail put into some of them is absolutely stunning, and sometimes a reader can just be in awe of the wonderful details that the original artists put into the manga.

Another great strong point that manga has going for it, is that it IS the original form of most anime series. When you read the manga, you have the ORIGINAL idea of what the writer / author had in mind for the story at hand. It's a lot like reading a book, before going to watch the movie. The manga tends to have details that the anime tends to leave out.

Despite all of this, I'm lazy. Henceforth, I watch anime, and I prefer this anime to be English-dubbed, so that I do not have to read subtitles. This helps facilitate my lazieness. Also, and I'm not entirely sure why, I tend to favor most anime art, mostly because it is in color, but maybe also because it has a more simplified look to it. Blame this on watching American cartoons for a good portion of my life... lol

Oh yeah, well my favorite series would include, Original Gundam, Excel Saga, Great Teacher Onizuka, Hajime No Ippo (Fighting Spirit), Hikaru No Go, Last Exile, Prince of Tennis, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really think there should be a 'both' choice in there. I really can't choose between them do to I really like both equally. Some harbor better things than the other but they both still equal out in the end.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, seeing as I don't know what Manga is, I'll go with anime. I like some of the animes.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Well, seeing as I don't know what Manga is, I'll go with anime. I like some of the animes.

Manga, you know! It's anime on paper, or to be more precise anime is manga on the big screen. "Japanese comics" if you want.

Imagine someone going into a voting booth and going "I don't know who these Republican guys are... so I may as well vote Democrat" it's silly.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've never read one before. Never seen one either. I'm not really that into much Japanimation stuff. I lke some anime cartoons though.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

JBL, it might've helped to give some examples... :P

You... Don't know what manga is?

Well, to put it simply, manga is basically a Japanese comic book series... Except that it has anime-style art, and is done REALLY, REALLY well!

Have you seen the Suikoden III graphical novels? Those are mangas, my friend.

As I said in my original post, most animes originally take the form of manga, before being made into an anime. Usually only when the manga is really good, will they make it into an anime, but there are always some exceptions to this rule.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little. Just think comic book, or graphical novel. Whichever is better for you.

OH YEAH! Another thing, mangas usually tend to read right to left, so that can be interesting if you're not used to it!

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, it ultimately depends on the series for me. Generally I prefer anime since anime is manga given motion. I like motion.

Anime often leaves parts of manga out, but I don't think that's neccesarily a bad thing. As long as the right parts are adapted then its cool. A good adaptation must be willing to change things, or else it will be stagnant and no different than its original. Kubrick does some awesome adaptations, because he wasn't afraid to change things around a little, as long as the core themes were left intact.

When I find series I like, I like reading both manga and anime versions of it, as two different views of the same subject are presented. Berserk is great anime with a crappy ending which leads you to the manga. Kare Kano is another great show with a crappy ending, but when you read the manga you realize its standard shoujo fare. Which is why the anime is so much better there, despite crappy endings.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer anime. And even though I don't like reading all that much, I also prefer (almost has to be now) subbed. Plus, it helps me with my Japanese listening skills. Anyway, why anime? The voices. I like having a voice put to the characters and that's pretty much the biggest reason. Also, it can take me forever to read a manga because my mind wanders when I read. So having something that lasts ~20-25 minutes every time is a plus.

I have only recently gotten into things Japanese, due to being in the process of learning the language (and not the other way around). The animes I have watched are Naruto, FMA, and a couple of Gundam series. I have started watching Bleach and have seen many episodes of Inuyasha. However, the only manga I have been reading (when I have the time and motivation) is Naruto. I will probably look into more of both in the future, but similarly to Sai, I'm kinda lazy.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

punchdoll wrote:
I really think there should be a 'both' choice in there. I really can't choose between them do to I really like both equally. Some harbor better things than the other but they both still equal out in the end.

I think we all like both. But you just got to put this kind of thing in black and white. :roll:

Yes, i love both anime and manga. Out of those two, i would prefer reading manga. I find the story in manga to have a better flow than in animes. I primary example is Flame of Recca aka Recca no Honou. Er, for those who haven't seen all of Flame of Recca, and don't want it spoiled, i'll black out the spoiler for your sake, whoever you are.

***SPOLIER!!!***

The anime totally screws up the fight with Koganei and Joker, IMO. You are find out that Koganei's Adamintine Blade has a secret 6th form. But what happens in the anime? Joker forfeits and your opportunity to see the 6th form is destroyed!
But you do get to see it in the manga. Not only that, but you also see Joker fight and see what his Physcic Device does. Much better than just having Joker forfeit.

***END SPOILER!!!***

Plus, it's cheaper to get manga and just as enjoyable. Cheaper in both the sense of downloading and also in buying.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: