Suikoden Unique and Informational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Suikoden 2 and Chinese History
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Editorial: Suikoden 2 and Chinese History Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--
http://suikox.com/ed/history40617.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. Do you like to see more articles that delve into comparing suikoden plot with world history?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article enrich or change your perception of Chinese history? Why/why not?
Reed

Cloak-and-Sword

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very interesting. Any speculation as to what Suikoden 4 could be based on?

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No idea at the moment because there are no Chinese or Japanese folklore and stories that are based on the sea. They'd have to borrow stuff from occidental sources if they would base the game on any historical account.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something Okinawan?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately, there's really no epic folklore involving Okinawa. There are minor talkes and mythologies, but nothing involving wars on the sea.
Icebergin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

perhaps it will be based on the naval battles in the Pacific in WW2?

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's actually possible, considering the fact that there were many major battles fought in the pacific between Japan and the United States. Of course, it wasn't only those two nations who thought. The British Navy was among the first to attack Japan (and was bitterly defeated off the coast of Malaysia). The Dutch had naval presence due to it's colonies in Indonesia (their navy was also annihilated by the Japanese navy). Australia was also involved, and had some ships given to them by the British. Germany had their U-Boats all the way in the South Pacific conducting attacks on convoys.

Of course, it goes without saying that there are many islands!
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very very entertaining. I'd say this is one of the very good editorials. In fact, this is probably by far my favourite editorial.

It would be indeed nice to see more articles showing actual stories where Suikoden adapted it's ideas from.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved the article and would like to see more like it, they don't necessarily have to deal with world history, but dealing with callisal literature would be really awesome. The article helped clarify some thoutgs of my own, because I had thought that Suikoden 2 had loosely been based off of the Three Kingdoms.

Since Shu has been said to represent Zhuge Liang I took to Riou representing Liu Bei. With Riou's constant wandering until he finds a place to occupy, his charismatic personality, similarities between the two seemed apparent to me. I saw Jowy in a way representing Cao Cao and Luca Blight being a mixture between Dong Zhou and Lu Bu. His battle prowess being Lu Bu and his tyranical rule being Dong Zhou's. Cao Cao and Liu Bei originally worked together to try to overthrow Dong Zhou, just as Jowy and worked together to overthrow Dong Zhou. Jowy and Riou both fought to unify the countries but used vastly differnt methods, just as Cao Cao and Liu Bei sought to do the same.

The many city states constant bickering and finghting i thought symbolized te inner turmoil and fighting that the states in the Three Kingdoms were constantly going through. Jowy held the Northern Region of Jowston, just as Cao Cao held the Northern region of China.

It's a big stretch but Seed and Culgan can represent Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan. Seed and Culgan were Jowy's top fighters and were incredibly loyal to Jowy just as Xiahou Yuan and Xiahou Dun were two of Cao Cao's top fighters and incredibly loyal to him.

The similarites I can see end there as I can't find a good reference for Rockaxe being Wu or Gorudo being Sun Quan.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Do you like to see more articles that delve into comparing suikoden plot with world history?

I would. I enjoyed that a lot because I have a facination with Chinese history, and I didn't realize how similar Suikoden 2 and that connected. Any comparisons are good, because real, or semi real things compared to "a game" always helps to make it more real.

I like the writing and the content. A=Thwe comparisons where god too, and the breakdown in which you explained what side Jowy and what side Riou was on.

3. Did the article enrich or change your perception of Chinese history? Why/why not? It did only because it added to my knowledge. I always thought highly of China's history, although some of it is quite sad. I also have a sick facination, from between 190 A.D. to 236 A.D. aka the Three Kingdom's Era. Getting intrested in more of it is only a positive thing.

A few comments to add, your writing gets better every time I read it, and keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next article.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be great to see more articles such as this.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Absolutely. This type of plot is very gripping indeed. IMO these types of stories from the cultures of Asia are much more interesting than war stories of the west. I felt this was missing in Suikoden 3. If Konami goes back to their old roots, their stories will please anyone.

The facts were amazing. Both stories are, alarmingly, similar. It's nice to know where the roots of Suikoden lie. Nice job.

3. Did the article enrich or change your perception of Chinese history? Why/why not?

Yes it did. I didn't know this story before today, but now I have a further understanding of Suikoden as a whole. Keep it up, SARS.

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another good article. I love studying the histories of other cultures especially their wars and I loved how the Chinese dynasty wars fits real well with this game and gave it some backbone.

Mercury's Marines

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is very interesting to see all of the similarities between the game and Chinese dynastic history. Looking at the game it pretty cool how they were able to bring so much of real life into the game world and mesh them so well.
Lena Suphina

Luna Azul

7653 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember I once asked my father: What's Romance of the Three Kingdoms about?
He's a history nut. And he said it in mandarin which I couldn't get some of the words and I sat there for an hour listening to what happened before after and while.

These things are pretty amazing, I found that I seemed to be interested in the events in the article than the game. Maybe when I replay I am able to look over the events again and realise how brilliant they were. :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: