Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden I and II HD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Suikoden I and II HD Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow.

Trailer here.

https://youtu.be/ibpBLv47IaY

There's even a store page on steam.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was hoping someone would have popped over here and made a thread!

Perhaps the most notable change outside of the updated backgrounds and entirely redone character portraits for Suikoden I (did anyone really like the character art for the first game?), the most significant difference will be that there is a new English localisation for the games. For instance, in this Neclord gameplay from Suikoden II, we see that the Star Dragon Sword is now named the Celestial Sword: https://youtu.be/hyyjeaDBgl4

I'm sure this localisation will have its own issues, but hopefully it'll be a net improvement over the original English localisation. And I think we can all agree that it's wonderful to see these games get a release on modern machines, and that the UI shown in the battles in these new releases is horrid. :)

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel like Konami saw the success Eiyuden had on Kickstarter and a light bulb went off in their corporate offices.

I'm here for it though. The main gripe I've always had with the series was the dismal localization, and there's really nowhere to go but up from what they released on PSX. I also appreciate that they're not doing like SE and trying to "improve" on the spritework. The original sprites, particularly Suikoden II's, are phenomenal and really don't need any attention.

Already on my Steam wishlist. I'm excited for it.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm of the opinion that Suikoden 2 looked good enough to not really need a remaster but damn, both games actually look pretty good!

A little bummed that the Suikoden 1 combat seems to be unchanged, but that game can really benefit from this remaster otherwise.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please retranslate. I also hope this does well so we can get a Suikoden III remaster/remake.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I sure picked a good day to randomly check here.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both games look incredible in the remaster. I'm definitely getting the remasters and playing the hell out of them. Something I've been meaning to do with the originals for too long now.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just... wow! Wow indeed!

i never really thought the day would come and it finally came. I almost screamed at work while watching the TGS announcement. Great way to end the work week.

Some thoughts:

- The backgrounds look amazing!
- The redrawn character portraits for I looks amazing! It's incredible how Kawano found the time to work on Eiyuden and this at the same time.
- While it's kind of frustrating that it took Eiyuden doing the heavy lifting to finally prove to Konami that there's a market for a Suikoden remake... I'm glad it's happening. I hope the success of I+II means we get to III,IV, and even V!
- But more importantly, I'm really looking forward to how this will bring in new fans to the series, with the accessibility of Steam! More than anything, this seems like the biggest win.

Just really, really glad. We did it!

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of stopping by, lol.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some of the backgrounds feel a bit over remastered.... BUT, I will not complain and almost certainly I'll get this both on PS5 and Steamdeck ;)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm super excited! I actually never finished 2! (gasp!) I bought a used copy for $60 when I was a kid with kid money, and it was damaged. I could never get beyond the Luca Blight multi-battle sequence. I tried like 10 times and even bought a CD repair kid. Then I couldn't find affordable new copies of the game and wasn't about to risk buying used again. When they released for PSP, I wasn't willing to buy a PSP just for this game. Now that they are releasing on a system I own (Switch), I'm buying it day 1!

Also, this announcement dropped on my birthday, so I feel like the stars of destiny are aligning. =)
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really this was a surprise. There was some buzz in advance as Konami was saying they will announce a re-make of a series loved by many fans across the world. However, many fans including myself have been burned by Konami so many many many times in the past that only a few had any optimism, and the old salts were quipping to these positive folks "you're gonna have your heart torn out."

Well, come Sept 16th I was shocked. There were a number of SRM folks at TGS who immediately broke the news. What is also really unfortunate is that leaked data of the TGS demo is widely available now. There are a number of Suikosource folks who are very much skilled at breaking apart these demos to understand all the digital entrails within... it seems they have localization options built in, such as selecting the old localization or the new localization... sort if interesting.

They are also including a "hard mode" which should be interesting because the battles are in general really easy.

This was really what we were trying to accomplish through SRM and all the other die-hard fans across the world. Support the heck out of Eiyuden so fcapitalist-pig-devoid-of-a-soul Konami who thinks it's a good idea to sue fansites would finally get off their ass and see the $$$ potential of Suikoden if it is marketed right.

At the current level of the remaster, I think this really isn't enough. The UI looks like cat vomit and seems like default junk out of Unity. The font is dry as heck and the screen in general looks very bland with lack of "life" which Suikoden definitely had. Hopefully they will brush up the game A LOT before they release it... and ideally if they will release both Suikoden 1 and 2, add something in between... it can be something very minor-- episodes that took place between Suikoden 1 and 2.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tonberry wrote:
Also, this announcement dropped on my birthday, so I feel like the stars of destiny are aligning. =)

Happy Belated Birthday!

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Really this was a surprise. There was some buzz in advance as Konami was saying they will announce a re-make of a series loved by many fans across the world. However, many fans including myself have been burned by Konami so many many many times in the past that only a few had any optimism, and the old salts were quipping to these positive folks "you're gonna have your heart torn out."

Well, come Sept 16th I was shocked. There were a number of SRM folks at TGS who immediately broke the news. What is also really unfortunate is that leaked data of the TGS demo is widely available now. There are a number of Suikosource folks who are very much skilled at breaking apart these demos to understand all the digital entrails within... it seems they have localization options built in, such as selecting the old localization or the new localization... sort if interesting.

They are also including a "hard mode" which should be interesting because the battles are in general really easy.

This was really what we were trying to accomplish through SRM and all the other die-hard fans across the world. Support the heck out of Eiyuden so fcapitalist-pig-devoid-of-a-soul Konami who thinks it's a good idea to sue fansites would finally get off their ass and see the $$$ potential of Suikoden if it is marketed right.

At the current level of the remaster, I think this really isn't enough. The UI looks like cat vomit and seems like default junk out of Unity. The font is dry as heck and the screen in general looks very bland with lack of "life" which Suikoden definitely had. Hopefully they will brush up the game A LOT before they release it... and ideally if they will release both Suikoden 1 and 2, add something in between... it can be something very minor-- episodes that took place between Suikoden 1 and 2.

Largely my thoughts on the matter also, Konami can go jump, Suiko 3 for PAL regions then piss back off to your pachinkos and sell the series thanks.

Kawano did the art updates, or at least was consulted on them, so that was nice at least, but the rest of the remaster as you say,UI was trash and text was like they shoved it in MS word and went "eh, good enough" and tacted a teaser together.

Main change I want is with Clives quest in 2, no real reason why a remaster would have to have a "complete this game in 12hr or less" instance, just change parameters with it so you don't have to rush the entire experience.

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still here. The forums are still here. And pretty soon we will be able to play these remasters.

Life's good.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Tonberry wrote:

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thanks so much! I saw this so late that I had another birthday! I hope you're doing well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: