Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Life Update and if you’re stopping by how are you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Life Update and if you’re stopping by how are you? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been wanting to come on here and share some news. Some good and some unfortunate. Also I figure there are more people stopping by than normal considering the recent Suikoden related news so if anyone else wants to share how they are doing or what they are up to then go ahead!

So first the good news. I am a dad! To twin boys! Dean and Rory. They are about 4 months old and we have honestly been really lucky how good they are. I had a very basic idea of taking care or babies, but my wife is the 3rd of her childhood friends to have twins and the 3rd member of her coworkers to have twins so we have had a lot of good help and advice!

Now the bad news. I have unfortunately failed in my years long goal of wanting to name my children after Suikoden characters. Defiantly thought I could manage to sneak one in considering there are 5 games with 100+ characters lol. But honestly my wife and I just really don’t like that many boy names and I don’t think I could convince her to name our son Tai ho or Flick (but I did try)

So yeah that’s what I have been up to. Didn’t get time off work for the pandemic because I’m an essential worker, but managed to take quite a bit of time off for babies. I hope everyone else is doing great!

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Congratulations on fatherhood and I'm assuming by being lucky you're getting more than 2 hours sleep at any single time.

Since the site pretty much died;

My mother died in 2015, motor neuron + fronto temporal dementia, she was diagnosed after my old man collapsed at an Aussie rules game (spectator with a mate) and ended up having a triple heart bypass. As such, basically lost a year and half, of my day being 2-3times a night deadlifting mother to wheelchair to bathroom and back, up at 5am for work for 8 hours, making sure she was set (She couldn't talk or write, dunno sign language but got petty good at reading mumbling and grunts) work 8 hours, visit hopistal for father, home with mother as carer, rinse and repeat and kill me now.

Funded the funeral as my contribution because as a mummys boy the sis went planning and I went "I'ma go anywhere else, here's my money I cannae deal" and at least the airforce one managed to plan it great, even if I wanted to glass a relative at the wake for some abhorrent instances.

Got the "worries" since docs were saying it seemed to be hereditary and "might be screwed in 20 years", decided to flee to England for 4 weeks to have my panic attack and vacation, as you do and as I was chatting with a few peoples, managed to make it to 31 before "this woman likes likes me", fair effort of completely missing all the things I thought. Came back swinging to someone remaining at the same multinational for 8 years in November this year, 6 figure savings as apparently I know what I'm doing? And took this month off because with the pandemic and the fact that we were sinking at work with work (fix this, sell, that, deliver that, we always need to manufacture and you always need to repair shit and stop doing DIY you're killing me) I needed a break or I would literally break something as I bought myself a 2.5lb sledge and I don't need to demo anything important.

Pandemic has kinda screwed me over a bit, still employed so no issue there, although it'd be nice if I wasn't the dependable one where I come back to a couple hundred stacks of "fix this plz" but having to wear a mask everywhere is triggering my eczema which is making me sick since it's my mouth that's impacted so people freak right out when I'm having to peel skin off, or plug bleeding with creams as if it's something worse than just a skin condition. It's like I'm not contagious I just don't like cannibalism in eating myself, lemme buy my shopping in peace.

But I'm happy, still need to be more assertive with people instead of the social awkwardness of "I need to run away now" but baby steps.

Also, should have tried to "Marscal" as a boys name, actually has ancestory as a surname and isn't as outlandish as some of the translations. I hope you haven't done what my parent did and just pick 3 given names and go "that's better than nothing" even if it's ancestory is primarily Scottish from the old mans side and translates to king, because badarse.

Don't do it. Nicknames are hard, hence fly. XD

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think my peak posting time on this forum was when I was in high school, or maybe my first year of college? Since then it feels like time has moved incredibly fast, and I'm now in my early-mid 30's, married for 7 years and with a house and some cats. It's surreal but things have gone surprisingly okay for me.

Also, 14 years together and I still haven't gotten my wife to play a Suikoden game, shamefully.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Life's good. Work's good. Entered politics and got elected. Suikoden is still my favorite RPG ever.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Congratulations on fatherhood and I'm assuming by being lucky you're getting more than 2 hours sleep at any single time.

At first it was pretty much the 2 hours since they were premies and we fed the mevery 3 hours on schedule. Now we still feed them on schedule, but it is spaced out and if we do shifts we can get an almost full nights sleep lol. The schedule also keeps them from getting over hungry and being fussy so its also a positive.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents Fly. That sounds like it was very stressful both physically and emotionally.

That sounds pretty rough with the mask. The worst I had was having to shave my long beard. If I didn't have to wear it for 8+ hours I could probably have kept it and just looked silly, but it would slide up and go directly into my eye balls all day.

We actually got Rory from Dr Who and Dean my wife just always liked and I knew some great Deans so I went with it. I made it a point to not pick any family names. I only get to name a person so many times in my life and I didn't want any of my choices made for me. That actually eliminated a few Suikoden names lol.

Marshmallow wrote:
I think my peak posting time on this forum was when I was in high school, or maybe my first year of college? Since then it feels like time has moved incredibly fast, and I'm now in my early-mid 30's, married for 7 years and with a house and some cats. It's surreal but things have gone surprisingly okay for me.

Also, 14 years together and I still haven't gotten my wife to play a Suikoden game, shamefully.

It does go by fast doesn't it? I'm in a similar position 30s, married a few years, house, cats. I'm glad things are going good for you. And don't feel too back about not sharing the Suikoden experience as I haven't been able to either. I do feel like I have re-watched an awful lot of her favorite shows and movies though lol

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Barbarossa Rugner wrote:
Life's good. Work's good. Entered politics and got elected. Suikoden is still my favorite RPG ever.

Oh wow that’s really exciting! Congrats! Were you ever even a little tempted to run on a platform of having ruled the Scarlet Moon Empire?

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Failure_Urn wrote:
Barbarossa Rugner wrote:

Oh wow that’s really exciting! Congrats! Were you ever even a little tempted to run on a platform of having ruled the Scarlet Moon Empire?

Haha. No i don't think that would have garnered the votes i needed to win. Although playing video games growing up along with a rudimentary knowledge of forums and the mechanics, helps when discussing tech issues.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Failure_Urn wrote:
At first it was pretty much the 2 hours since they were premies and we fed the mevery 3 hours on schedule. Now we still feed them on schedule, but it is spaced out and if we do shifts we can get an almost full nights sleep lol. The schedule also keeps them from getting over hungry and being fussy so its also a positive.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents Fly. That sounds like it was very stressful both physically and emotionally.

That sounds pretty rough with the mask. The worst I had was having to shave my long beard. If I didn't have to wear it for 8+ hours I could probably have kept it and just looked silly, but it would slide up and go directly into my eye balls all day.

We actually got Rory from Dr Who and Dean my wife just always liked and I knew some great Deans so I went with it. I made it a point to not pick any family names. I only get to name a person so many times in my life and I didn't want any of my choices made for me. That actually eliminated a few Suikoden names lol.

Good to hear that everyone is doing well given premature births can be a bit troublesome all things considered for all involved. And indeed, babies that keep to schedules, mark me impressed at your parenting skills. I mean, I may be single but everyone I know that had kids had some issues with babies just acting to their own timetables and everyone else be damned.

Thank you, yeah it sucked. One moment everything is normal, then literally within 12 hours it went from one member in hopistal to 1 in hospital, 1 needing pallative care, and being the oldest in the same state which means "handle the estate" when you didn't consider you had your own life worked out.

Your world just, dies really, everything just burns because you are broken.

I would literally have a beard if i didn't have the eczema impacting it where my face is normally red from irritation itchy and potentially peeling to bleed, as I think I look better with one, especially with the massive bald spot I'm sporting. So that royally sucks that you needed to clip that. Maybe you should have invested in a welding helmet to keep the facial hair.

This is where you lose points with me, Dr Who I never got to, was too campy for me, even if the names are nice, I was kind of worried you'd picky one of those trendy imaginings of names like instead of John it'd be Yojn or something that should never be stated at all. I've a cousin named Rory, so I approve of that choice, never known any good Deans so I'll take you word on that one. XD

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's rough, fortunately both my parents are still kicking but I can't really imagine how I would be if they died. There was a close call earlier this year with my mother being diagnosed with bone-marrow cancer -- it was really terrible and all of my family members were shocked and sad. I was crying and everything, tears just come out quietly non-stop and everything.

The fucked up thing is this was a misdiagnosis -- and actually she didn't have cancer but had a rare condition called "igg4 related illness" (that is the actual name of the condition...), where some enzume or whatever is over-produced due to a genetic condition which can cause an immune system reaction.
Anyhow... I have enough health stuff to deal with myself so for now my goal is to stay alive as much as possible.

Work is fine -- I am in a good position in my current employer. Much better than the low-level paper-pusher I was 10 years ago during the height of Suikox activity. I did have a divorce, but I think this was a good thing. If I stayed in that arrangement longer I would have suffered even more. I am also learning new skills -- these days the hype is robotic process automation... this is pretty much like what I used to code in Suikox so I am applying those skills at work, etc.

In the end, I guess I am just trying to keep myself entertained and not bored...
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's always good to get updates on folks!

Congrats on the twins, Failure!

On my end, I am wrapping up my second year of a postdoctoral scientist appointment. Still working on climate change in cities, etc. Since COVID, any gains in my commute were demolished by a grant we got to study socioeconomic vulnerability to both the virus and extreme weather (which we're seeing a lot of this year yikes). Still living in NYC, but now considering moving out for the cheaper rents and space available elsewhere. Also looking for tenure track faculty positions but the virus made a huge dent in the availability of those, so a lot of anxiety about the future and not being able to keep doing science as a real career being a strong possibility.

In better things, I've super gotten into cocktails the past few years to the point where I'm very comfortable and know common recipes off the top of my head. If you're on my social media, I'm that guy that only posts pics of either food or drinks.

Once things are more calm, hit me up if you're in NYC!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:

In the end, I guess I am just trying to keep myself entertained and not bored...

Words to live by... especially now, in certain places being on total lock down. I'm in Los Angeles and we've basically been on lock down since March. My office has been closed. Luckily I have a private space so I can still go in once a week or so for a change of scenery but it is driving me a bit loopy.

The worst is not being able to see anyone other than my hubby, or seeing people, but being concerned that anyone I see I could be either infecting or could be infecting me. Craziness.

Hopefully things clear up soon and we're able to interact more normally again. I feel fortunate that my work can be done remotely and I get paid well enough to basically live however I want (except the whole isolation thing right now). So... that's good.

I was basically in primary school when I first joined Suikox which is pretty nutso to think about. It has been a long time.

If anyone is ever in Los Angeles feel free to reach out.

edit: Hi kiki, I'll hit you up next time we're in NYC. ;)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since me, Kikito and Darko are all on here reminiscing about the site, I'll chime in:

My 18 year old starts college in 2 weeks, and I was pregnant in my earlier days on the site - Junior turns 13 this December.

Their father passed away this past November. [We had been divorced nearly two years at that point, but he was still my best friend.]

I used to work at USPS, now I've been at UPS the last 12 years as a clerk. Hopefully 14 more years and I can retire.

I still love to write, Geddoe is still my favorite character, and I will always rep The Clan of the Eyepatch. Love y'all! <3

PS: Oh, and I used to live in Florida but now I live in Mississippi. In the woodiest of woods. *lol*

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm so sorry to hear of your ex's death, Geddoe.

I'm happy to hear everybody is, for the most part, doing well despite the challenges being thrown at us. Definite congratulations to Failure Urn on the birth of his twins. I don't have the personality or patience to take on such a responsibility, so much respect to you and all of the other parents among us.

The pandemic really threw a wrench into life which we're just (cautiously) bouncing back. I don't have anything which really compares to some of the stories, just dealing with the effects of my aging parents. They both have issues which make things emotionally taxing, not the least of which is my mom has been suffering from diverticulitis recently, which has made me wary about cooking meals as the spices she's been told she should avoid are pretty much what I regularly use.

The one good thing about the pandemic, though, is it has made it quite a bit easier to avoid resorting to fast food when you are feeling lazy and don't want to cook. The one thing which hasn't changed has been the near constant stream of cat visitors. Our neighbours have two cats who spend a significant amount of time here, and can typically be found on our front step when the weather is nice. I really wish I could have afforded one of the premium pledges in the Eiyuden kickstarter, as one of the girls is the most beautiful cat I've seen and I would have loved to immortalize her in the game.

Gaming-wise, I tend to go for a variety of content (except first-person shooters, I am really not a fan of those) and it will range from stuff like pinball (the Zen releases for Pinball FX3 as well as Star Wars Pinball) and RPGs, of course, I recently played through XC2: Torna - The Golden Country and finished up the quests and superbosses in the base Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm currently on the Switch version of Hyrule Warriors, in which last night I 100% the Adventure map (seven more to go) and have been playing the main scenarios on "Hard" difficulty to acquire the skullltulas necessary to unlock more stages in the Rewards map.

I did play Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U, though it's almost a completely different game as the mechanics and content from the 3DS Hyrule Warriors Legends has been included, which took a bit to adjust to but now I don't think I could go back to the Wii U version... which isn't saying much, as I haven't touched the Wii U since the Switch was released.

I hope everyone takes care and stays safe, especially during these times.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi all, I haven't been back for years, but still remember the community with fondness.

In that time, I've bought two houses to renovate, got married and got divorced. Thankfully, the house renovations were quite successful and I managed to save enough money to afford travelling around South America for a while (my lack of any language skills outside of English - and that being pretty poor - made staying with local families very interesting)

I came back to the Isle of Man then immediately (well, the next morning) ended up in hospital with an dissection of my vertebral artery (in my neck) which gave me several strokes. I lost movement on my left side, although not the feeling. Thankfully, and somehow, my head re-wired itself and I came round a few hours later without any symptoms of side-effects, but a month of hospital recovery and monitoring. Still makes me wonder how lucky I was and still am! There were a lot of people on the ward much less lucky than me.

I've changed jobs, although still not ever feeling settled in anything. I'm currently living on a small-holding on the island with my girlfriend. We've amassed a stupid amount of animals - 7 horses, 9 sheep, 2 cats, 3 dogs, chickens and ducks. The chores never end but it's good, happy work.

As some may remember, I was the proud owner of a beautiful-hearted Labrador, Meghan. Sadly, she passed last year. I was fortunate to hold her in her last moments and she gave me a lick goodbye...or there may have been food on my nose. She never lost her appetite, not until the very end.

I've become more interested in running than ever before and entered a few cross-country events with my partner - she on the horse, me on foot. I'm still head-of-heels obsessed with my dogs (2 labs and a Chesapeake), and occasionally I'll enter a race with one (the Chesapeake is a machine).

The Isle of Man has been Covid-19 free for 80+ days and we're thankful for that.

I hope you're all keeping well. It's heartening to see the flames of the community still sparking.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's good to see you're doing well now, Fluffy! That's scary about your earlier health issues, but I'm glad to hear that you've pretty much made a full recovery. We can be thankful for whatever miracles we are blessed with.

I'm sorry to hear of Meghan's passing, at least you were there for her at the end to provide comfort. Hopefully she did not have to suffer through various afflictions which affected her quality of life before her time came. I remember our neighbours' dog had developed such bad arthritis that it was hard to watch him walk. My aunt recently lost her dog to kidney disease, so maybe they have found their way to one another to play with each other at Rainbow Bridge.

It's awesome that Covid has been eliminated in your area, now just hope the selfish people don't decide to re-introduce it. Not too long ago, some arrogant bastard decided that he didn't need to respect Haida Gwaii's decision to close the community during the pandemic and, no surprise, the islands had their first cases of Covid shortly thereafter. As of Friday afternoon, there has been about 84 new cases of Covid in BC, a significant amount being within the area I live, which isn't encouraging. It had been down to low single digits roughly a month ago, but it seems like too many people don't want to take the situation seriously when their summer is at stake.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: