Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The end of Suikox, sometime in July
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: The end of Suikox, sometime in July Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello everyone -- so it seems this time has finally arrived. I will need to shutdown suikox.com.

The main reason that pushed me to this decision is the general weakness of PHP5, and the necessity for sandwich.net (the host of this site) to change everything to PHP7. It will be very labor-intensive to make all of the scripts in suikox (especially this forum) compliant, and I certainly don't have this time.

The same fate will fall on Suikosource, as it is also hosted on sandwich.net.

If you wish to salvage anything from this forum, please do this in haste. Sandwich.net is being super generous by allowing PHP5 to be alive for suikox & suikosource. However, this can not be kept for too long as it will keep a weakness open for the entire host.

Please inform other ex-members if you are in regular contact. Most people barely ever visit this site these days, so they can easily miss the 1 month window.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for keeping it up all this time, Vex. It's a nostalgia blast to the face every time I cyber-stroll around here.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks vexie. I saw this on Reddit, but I'll prod others to stop by to salvage anything they'd like to keep from these days.

I wonder if there's a way to mass archive the data, particularly the reference data for the games from Suikox and Suikosource, so that the information is not lost . . .

All, feel free to keep in touch:

email: b.lev.hicks@gmail.com
Facebook: Benjamin Leventhal Hicks
Instagram: Levie09

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sad news indeed. A few months ago I had some sort of nostalgia hunch and came back to Suikox after God knows how many years. I was so glad to see Suikox was still alive! But since then I have been checking Suikox everyweek quite a few times... I guess I feared something like this might happen.

There are no words to express my gratitude for the funny times on this site. I have never been a "forums person" or whatever: this is one of the few forums I have been at and by far the one I have spent more hours in.
Vextor, I never had the chance to know you or befriend you (you were the big boss :) ) but I have to THANK YOU for this place. For what it was, for what it meant and for the time, effort and money you put in. THANKS man, next time you drink a beer remember good old Fu Su Lu.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a shame but it had to happen one day or another in the future.

Thanks for keeping this place around as long as you have Vextor and, once again, thanks for the great memories.

In the words of Humphrey:

"..."

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for hosting all of these years. Best of luck to everyone.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If this is the end of the road for Suikox, I am grateful for the time I spent here and to think I have The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker to thank for it. Long story short, I was not fond of the direction taken for Wind Waker that I initially passed on the Gamecube and got a PS2 and one of the first games I got for it was Suikoden, based off of my familiarity with the name from another unrelated forum.

Through Suikox, many friendships were made and, as unfortunately happens, people drift apart in their lives and instant messengers die, relegating those friendships to memory. Some have, unfortunately, passed on and I hope many have gone on to great success and happiness.

All good things must come to an end, but that does not make it any less bittersweet. As activity has slowed to a trickle, Suikox feels like a house with all the children gone. It stands as a testament to the people we were more than a decade ago and, hopefully, we've left as better people and had a positive impact on those we interacted with.

We are all imperfect beings and have made mistakes along the way, so when the lights go out for the last time, remember the positives and don't dwell on the negatives. I love you all and wish you all the best.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would it be possible to get a download file for the various army icons etc?

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the ride. So many times spent posting here talking about my favorite rpg series. Reading about the Lore you passionately translated for us, reading the theories, the timelines, the history. I miss Suikoden and I'll miss you guys. :(

Someone needs to archive the stuff that was written on the main site for posterity. The timelines, history, and all that information gained from the Japanese versions and interviews shouldn't be lost.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just popped in (randomly) since I happened to be wandering around suikosource and saw a recent post Vex made
...then found his FB which I proceeded to follow

ah memories...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the site can exist for now -- it is protected in a bubble of "PHP5 environment" within PHP7, but still vulnerable to hacks that target weaknesses in the PHP5 structure.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was good to be here.
Kushiel's Millions

822 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just found out today!:( I've been involved in the fandom on and off since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Thanks existing to begin with though! Lots of great discussions. At least reddit is there! :)
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Half past July, and this place still exists. That's good. Loing live Suikox
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you Vex and all the others who made this community possible. I enjoyed my time here and I think it helped me to become a more whole human being at a time when I learning a lot about myself (.. I joined as a friggen' teenager after all! Hah!)

Wishing you all the best. Mànzǒu (慢走 "Walk Slowly"),
-Tyler

PS: Please feel free to message me sometime if you want to stay in touch:
email: tybuchholz@gmail.com
Facebook: Tyler Buckles
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: