Suikoden United and Irenic Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Nintendo Switch Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do we have any Nintendo Switch gamers among the Suikox family?

I picked up the Switch at launch, as well as securing one to give to my nephew for his birthday, and it quickly became my favourite system, supplanting the PlayStation, which had been my main system for more than 15 years.

At first, of course, there was really only Zelda to play and play the hell out of it I did. But, from the start, I made the decision to approach the Switch (As well as gaming in general) differently than I had in the past. The Wii and Wii U could easily be considered my "Zelda machines" as games related to Zelda were the primary focus as I quickly lost interest in bundled games like Super Mario Maker.

On the PlayStation side, most of my games were either RPGs or WWE and I wanted to have a variety with the Switch, much like I remember from my earliest memories of playing video games. Unfortunately, the nature of the Switch doesn't make that very easy, as some developers are apparently half-assing Switch releases almost as if they are a contractual obligation for a license (a theory regarding EA and FIFA, releasing it on Switch but with features cut) or the developer goes cheap and releases only a portion of the game on a small capacity game card while forcing you to download the rest onto a micro SD card, like what 2k did with NBA 2k18 and Rockstar is doing with L.A. Noire.

So, are there any Switch fans here?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have one but I surely will. In addition to Zelda, I'm interested in the new Mario and Fire Emblem games. I don't think Fire Emblem comes out for awhile, but I love the console releases in that series.

I think the Switch is an interesting concept, but I'm not very interested in the idea it can be mobile. I do think they're putting out some quality content though.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

99% of the time, I keep the Switch in the dock. I'm not personally interested in using it as a handheld. I only do so if I need to show my nephew something.

While I've never personally played Fire Emblem before, I have some interest in the game, though I did pass on the recently released Fire Emblem Warriors as I am not really a fan of the hack n' slash type of game. Even Hyrule Warriors, with the Zelda theme, can only hold my interest for so long.

While I haven't had much exposure to 3D Mario games, only really having played Mario 64, I do find Odyssey to be the best. It does, unfortunately, suffer from the terrible controls and camera I have found in 3D Mario games, though speedrunners really make it look incredibly easy. I accepted that, due to the poorly implemented controls I will never 100% the game. It has made me quit in frustration far too many times to the point where my opinion of the game actually lowers the more I play it.

I already have too many games for my Switch, but I am looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well as whatever Project Octopath Traveler will be called when it is completed.

Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember those camera problems from Mario 64. At the time I was so excited about playing a 3D Mario game, I forgave that particular flaw. Bummer that it still exists today.

As far as Fire Emblem, the main strategy RPG entries are really cool. The stories are pretty rote (though they do grow on you), but I just love the combat, item, and progression systems. Its got some bite with character permadeath too; getting a perfect play-through on hard or nightmare mode in that game is very satisfying! I could never get into the handheld versions though, for whatever reason. Fire Emblem Warriors, on the other hand, I have no plans to get. Seems to me its basically a reskinned Destiny Warriors.

I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles, is that related to the Xenogears franchise?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if the series itself is related to Xenogears in terms of any story or character connection, but it is developed by Monolith Soft, who developed Xenosaga as a spiritual successor to Xenogears and are now on Xenoblade.

Xenoblade Chronicles will actually be the first time I have played a "Xeno" game so I don't have any knowledge of the previous incarnations. It caught my eye during the Switch presentation in January and, despite the complaining over the English voice acting, I've had it pre-ordered since May.

I have to agree on the "Warriors" thing, as even the Zelda skinning in Hyrule Warriors wasn't enough to really make it feel like "Zelda," but apparently Miyamoto is partly to blame for that as Omega Force/Team Ninja wanted a more traditional "Zelda" type game for the Dynasty Warriors crossover but Miyamoto said the game should be a Zelda Dynasty Warriors game instead of a Dynasty Warriors Zelda game.

If not for the Zelda "skin" I doubt I would have been interested in Hyrule Warriors at all and it was the lack of games of interest to me on the Wii U, as well as the wait for Twilight Princess HD, that I gave it a chance. I think the most annoying part about such games is there are mooks everywhere except when you really need to rack up the numbers to get a top rank.

I'm really hoping that a Virtual Console comes to the Switch as there are some classic games I would love to get and I would even be cool with them just releasing the NES and SNES Classic software as compilation games.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lately my "console" of choice is Switch just cuz hooking stuff up to a screen is a pain in the butt...

And I dunno if it's partially a sign I need to upgrade my glasses but even at home I rather lie on the couch and play handheld mode instead of needing to sit up straight and play off a tv/monitor even though some games look way more glorious on the hd tv...

Switch can be taken anywhere in handheld mode = biggest perk I love by far.

Screw those people who complain about the lower quality graphics and processing power and stuff like that. As long as it's not game-breaking (and the price for NSW version is about the same as other consoles' versions) then I pick NSW version if I can.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: