Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PSA: Suikoden IV now available on US PSN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: PSA: Suikoden IV now available on US PSN Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey everyone!

Suikoden 4 has been released on the US PSN as of about a week ago.

I wonder if it hasn't been posted here because of inactivity or because such is the contempt so many have for the ugly child of the main series.

Anyways, it's there for $9.99!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't hate, let alone have contempt for Suiko IV. It strayed a bit further from the conventions of Suikoden for my taste, but then came Tierkreis and totally changed things around.

It's kinda sad that I haven't really played much Suikoden lately, as Zelda and Stardew Valley have eaten up a lot of my time. I guess you could say I've come full circle in my gaming, being a Nintendo guy for so long and, being unimpressed with what Wind Waker had to offer, passing on the Gamecube in favour of a PS2. Now, I don't even have a PS4 but I picked up a Switch on day one.

I'm grateful for that distaste for Wind Waker because, without it, I don't think I would have ever discovered Suikoden or the other games I have enjoyed on the PlayStation. I would welcome a new installment but, after all this time, would anything live up to expectations?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stardew Valley looks so interesting. And apparently has a Linux client, which I appreciate!

I've been playing Suikoden 4 since it came out. Having played the previous three games in relatively quick (for my pace) succession, there are definitely things I appreciate. The animation is a lot smoother compared to Suikoden 3, where characters are always so stiff. Interestingly, NPCs don't seem to walk around as much in S4, which they seemed to do in S3 (or at least that guy running around Vinay del Zexay). The environments appear much bigger, which I think comes in part from the more free moving camera and taller buildings. The voice acting is a very welcome addition. It helps keep me focused and immersed in the game. One of those modern touches that I really miss when playing older, non-actiony games.

Now, the bad. Holy crap I am doing the deserted island bit, and it's one of the most pointless exercises in my video game history. Considering how little time they spend on building characters at the beginning, like the 4 knight recruit buddies, I find it so curious they made the design choice of spending three days collecting coconuts and watching a mermaid drop equipment for me. Also, the main character's eyes are so weird to me. Everyone else seems to have normal (for video game characters) eyes, but Lazlo (??) seems to have these freaky shiny big doll eyes.

Otherwise, I suppose I don't mind the story moving at a relatively quicker pace than either S2 or S3 did.

And holy crap I am on Suikox discussing a Suikoden game. Did I just do a reverse 13 going on 30?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: