Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is happening in the gaming industry these days?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: What is happening in the gaming industry these days? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been completely out of the whole gaming scene for a while, but what is the current trend in the gaming industry? Are RPGs really dead?

In Japan, I notice a huge effort to get people hooked on "social games" such as puzzle dragon and whatnot, but I also heard Zynga decided to ditch Japan. Sooner or later people will figure out how stupid social games are and decide it's better to focus on real life...

Anyhow, what games do people play these days? First person shooters?
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For my part I've been into the Assassin's Creed franchise which I guess would fall under the action adventure banner? All I know is that I very much enjoy the free roaming that the games offer as well as the game play just being fun.

As to the trends, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is a big one that a lot of people play, with Halo 4 probably not too far behind. It's been a bit of a split between action adventure games and FPS's on the 360/PS3. Which is kind of a shame, but I can't blame the game companies for catering to what the new generations want which is apparently lots of action. The survival horror genre has been weakened by Resident Evil 6's utterly lackluster reception. That said, Capcom in general has made a lot of poor decisions that have pissed a fair amount of people off.

Apparently Fire Emblem got a pretty sizable boost in popularity from the new one (Awakening) that came out on the 3DS, so there's that.

And uhhh, on the PC gaming front, this is happening: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/11/valve-backed-xi3-piston-availabl e-for-pre-order#.UT4Z3ptUlA4.facebook

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that more than social games, mobile games are taking over now that we're in the heyday of almost everyone having a capable smartphone in their pockets.

Console wise, I would say that things really haven't changed much! The "innovations" of the Kinect and Playstation Move (camera/motion based controls) seem to have not taken hold yet. However, with the recently announced PS4 coming with a camera by default (if I remember correctly), this kind of thing may become more mainstream. Sony seems to have a resurgence with the PS3 since last year, with an influx of excellent exclusives.

That's about all I have :P
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The big thing that may end up hurting the next-gen gaming consoles is the rumors that you will have to buy codes for the games that can only be used once. Meaning single use, single system. It would not be like with Steam where it's connected to an account.

I hope that this isn't going to be the case, but who knows.

~Tinto~
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if RPGs are dead, but if there was anything considered "the golden age of" said genre, it's long since passed. I played Sands of Destruction (which I think came out a year before Suikoden Tierkreis) for DS about a year or so back, and while the gameplay was fine, it just seemed like... there was nothing new to explore or to strive for in the genre.

There's nothing wrong with social games, only with a person's inability to balance them with everything else in life.

That said, the next chapter of Starcraft II, "Heart of the Swarm" just came out last week. I've been playing the shit out of the campaign when I have time, and just finished it Friday. I hope to get in some actual battling with friends, but if get bored enough, I'll fight some random folks or else go back to Diablo III for a while. I have had my own issues with Blizzard, but I'll probably stick around for Legacy of the Void (which will probably come out when we're all older than dirt. Hey, I've come this far; might as well see the final battle).

What else... I keep looking forward to the next installment or spinoff of the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney series (text based), as well as the next Professor Layton game (puzzle based). And I'm hoping the crossover between the two will make it to these shores, and will be every bit as awesome as they are building it up to be.

Occasionally, I might pick up a 3DS game (Mario, Zelda, some new title) but it seems half the time I'll beat it once or just play it enough that I'll trade it in for something else.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as RPGs go, the only "modern" franchise that I would say comes close to capturing the essence of the RPGs I remember playing as a wee lad is Dragon Age. I've quite enjoyed both the games, even if people lament about how Dragon Age II is inferior to the original. I'm looking forward to number 3 for sure. As someone else said the new Fire Emblem is getting good press, which is great because I do enjoy those games. The stories are cliche, but the gameplay is amazingly fun.

To be honest the game I play more than anything is Front Office Football 2007, a game for football nerds.

I did read something intriguing about a new VR headset called Oculus Rift. It reminded me of the Metal Gear Solid games with the whole VR missions thing.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say the RPG is dead. There are various series still going strong like the Atelier games, Tales series, etc. But I will agree that there has been a sad lack of innovation in the genre. "Western" style RPGs seem to be flourishing with games like Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Skyrim, etc. And yes, I know Dark Souls is a Japanese game, but it really seems to follow the western paradigm of free moving, real time action RPGs.

Also, there seem to be new players in the console market, with the Ouya coming out by Summer I think, and the Steambox following not long after, with the former targeting less expensiveness (~$99, Android based) and the latter probably being more high end.

I'd be fun to see if any of these actually makes it.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can but wait and see and try and support them.

~Tinto~
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But are they worth supporting? That's the question I ask myself. I am tempted to pick up an Ouya, given its low monetary barrier. And it for sure will have a lot of games available, since it will be able to run Android games. But then again, I already have an Android Phone and tablet. I'm cautiously optimistic about it yet.

The Steambox looks like it will be more of a high end PC in a compact form factor. That may run more expensive. Also, there's speculation that it might run on Linux, given Valve's discontent with the current MS Windows landscape.

I think exciting stuff is bound to happen, but I'm not sure I want to commit just yet!
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I mean if Microsoft and Sony truly do institute their speculated anti-piracy concepts of you can only buy a new game and the code/disk can only be used once, and if the prices for the new gen are silly then I don't really plan on supporting them.

Does that mean I will auto-support other things instead? No of course not haha. I'm just saying that I think that the Wii U is looking like the least silly next gen console and that it's possible that PC gaming will overtake consoles with the amount of ports. Of course things that have a contract like Halo are still bound to those consoles and people who want to play those games will still buy them, but in general there has been a trend of games migrating over to steam.

~Tinto~
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What happened in gaming recently?

THQ collapsed horribly and was divvied up amongst others.

EA & Maxis hyped everyone up with Sim City, and it played well... for about 4 hours before server catastrophe, breaking bugs (ie the always online DRM can be haxed to allow anyone to destroy any city on any server anonymously) and EA since copped a lot of backlash due to the incomplete game.

People still go "ooh" and "aaah" at insert title #47 "now with pixellated sweat!"

Pirates! DESU

352386 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While mainstream modern games certainly is something that I stopped caring about the new projects to make old school RPGs started by former members of Black Isle Studios is something that I'm looking forward to. The amount of fundings brought by fans to support those projects clearly shows that there is notable demand to bring such kind of games back and I certainly hope that in case if they succeed in making good games it will open the path for more following projects.
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

El Regrs wrote:

That said, the next chapter of Starcraft II, "Heart of the Swarm" just came out last week. I've been playing the shit out of the campaign when I have time, and just finished it Friday. I hope to get in some actual battling with friends, but if get bored enough, I'll fight some random folks or else go back to Diablo III for a while. I have had my own issues with Blizzard, but I'll probably stick around for Legacy of the Void (which will probably come out when we're all older than dirt. Hey, I've come this far; might as well see the final battle).

Is that worth getting? I've been on the fence about Starcraft II, first because I didn't have a pc to play it on and then because of what I perceived to be a tone/visual shift away from the first game. Now with Blizzard charging full price individually for the whole set when they could have packaged them as expansions...I don't know. It seems a little shady unless they really packed all three games with goodies.

Aside from that, an interesting trend that I've been keeping an eye on is the tendency of Japanese companies with failing IP's to (attempt) a reboot through a Western developer. The one that primarily comes to mind is Devil May Cry, which I really liked but did not sell well as far as I know. Which way will the winds blow? Am I being biased because I've lost interest in Japanese-style RPG's and Japanese developed IP's in general? Why do I keep asking rhetorical questions?

I'm pretty interested in how Steam Greenlight is going to effect the 'gaming landscape'. For those of you who don't know Steam will put up indie-developed games up for a fee, those games then get voted on and 'greenlit' depending on popularity. The indie-developers get publicity which they can use to promote kick-starter donations. Or they waste away.

Anywho, lot's of interesting gaming things from my perspective I guess.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stormbringer wrote:
El Regrs wrote:

Is that worth getting? I've been on the fence about Starcraft II, first because I didn't have a pc to play it on and then because of what I perceived to be a tone/visual shift away from the first game. Now with Blizzard charging full price individually for the whole set when they could have packaged them as expansions...I don't know. It seems a little shady unless they really packed all three games with goodies.

Haha. When I picked up my copy at Gamestop, the guy behind the counter complained that SC2 was too much like SC, in that it was just an enhanced version (graphically) of SC1, with just a few different units and upgrades to units/structures.

I had a lot of fun with Wings of Liberty. Can't say I was very good at it, but at least there is more of an opportunity to hone your skills and get exposed to different scenarios that may happen in a regular match or FFA.

I think they made the achievements in story mode a little easier to acquire in Heart of the Swarm, but at least there are 'mastery' achievements (hard mode) to strive for as well, not to mention just surviving the campaign in brutal mode.

The story and cinematics are pretty amazing too.

I'm not sure what you mean by Blizzard charging full price individually... Wings of Liberty was the full $60, but I paid $40 for Heart of the Swarm, and expect to do so again for Legacy of the Void. If you pay any greater an amount, then chances are you did get the game with the "goodies" (digital deluxe or collector's edition). Yeah, a little pricey, but I've seen just as pricey console games offer less. But if you're not sure about dropping that much cash, you can always wait until Blizzard has a crazy sale. *Recalls WoL's price being slashed in half for a week about four months after initial release*
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aesir wrote:
While mainstream modern games certainly is something that I stopped caring about the new projects to make old school RPGs started by former members of Black Isle Studios is something that I'm looking forward to. The amount of fundings brought by fans to support those projects clearly shows that there is notable demand to bring such kind of games back and I certainly hope that in case if they succeed in making good games it will open the path for more following projects.

Agreed. There has been several noticeable projects which have either recently come to light or are billed to be released sometime in the future.

Something which is kinda new to the scene and proving to be a success is crowd funding, mainly via Kickstarter. Crowd funding through Kickstarter has allowed several companies to pitch their vision of a game without having to obtain investment through gaming corporations who then kill the spirit and intent of the developers. How these turn out is yet to be determined but things are looking very promising as these developers have direct links to their funders (you and I) and seem more than happy to provide ongoing updates and communication. It is even very possible to provide feedback and ideas directly to the developers and have it incorporated into the game (as I have done for the BG re-release).

What I'm excited about.

Torment - Tides of Numenera - This is a spirtual successor to the amazing Torment - Planescape Infinity Engine RPG. This Kickstarter is still in progress so you still have time to back the game and bag some additional goodies come release.

Shadowrun Returns - This will be a long awaited sequel to the 1990's isometric RPG which was released on the SNES and Megadrive/Genesis. Funding was successfully reached and closed some months ago. A gameplay video was recently released and it's looking pretty cool. Pre-orders are now available.

Project Eternity - This is the one Aesir mentioned. It's being headed up my many of the Black Isle team and is looking pretty amazing. Funding again closed on this some time ago. The game is slated foe release this summer (I'll believe it when I see it though).

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition - This was not funded through Kickstarter. Instead a smaller developer company Beamdog managed to acquire the rights to enhance and re-release Baldurs Gate 1. The main change they made is to drive BG1 through the much better BG2 engine including all kits etc which were available in BG2. Unfortunately part way through the project it turned out that Bioware had lost 99% of all of the original art assets from BG1+BG2 so Beamdog couldn't revamp the graphics as they were hoping for. However they have pulled apart the horrific coding, updated and modernised it, added NPCs and quests, new music, new kits, enhanced the GUI and made a million and one other updates. This has now been released on PC, iOS (including iPad) and soon to be released on Android. All versions will be compatible with each other and once multiplayer is up and running all versions will be able to play with all other versions. Baldurs Gate 2: EE is due to be released at some point this year. Releases, patches and updates are still forthcoming on this franchise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: