Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tournament of Champions - The Nation Battle Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do like the fact that you are thinking of incorporating a new fun game and the concept sure does sound enticing however, I too have already thought of starting an event similar to this in a few ways. I'm currently running the Olympic Games within Harmonia and have been doing so every two months since December. I was capable of running it on my own the first two times because it wasn't too huge (the first one kind of flopped) but the one I'm doing now already has three of us running it and this is only with a dozen or so competitors. If you want to do an event such as this on the main forums FORGET doing it every two months. Three to four times a year would be more than sufficient and it won't drain the life out of you. You will have things in real life coming up and it will interfere with these games. Just a word of caution.

As for the game idea, I do like parts of it however it would have been better if you separated the categories into North and South since its a little more clear cut but thats not of any real importance. However, if you have a look under the Blue Moon Village Usergroup and look under each member, you'll notice that only FOUR out of the eleven are NOT in another nation. Asides from SARSadmin and Synchysi (who are both Mercenaries) the other two non nation members have been away for 102 and 21 days. They can always join the Mercenary usergroup if they wish to participate and if not they can stay out. That would effectively cut out a whole group and the hassle of keeping track who is playing for what nation.

As far as the balance issue is concerned, there will always be advantages to certain nations. If its a single battle, Mercenaries and Grasslands will have the advantage. If its lots of strong duelists per nation, Falena will have the advantage. Either way you look at it, many nations get left out and have little to no chance of winning. Even though it DOES encourage more activity, I can see it getting more people spamming and posting useless information for the sake of a stat increase. The only way I can see this working is by handing out handicaps. If you can't make it fair for everyone then might as well make it unfair for everyone, right? For example, you can randomly give out tokens to participants and each token would do something to the competitor. For example it could boost or lower your stats, rankings or what not. One token for example could allow you to eliminate your opponent without dueling (Souleater anyone?). Another could be used to heal your stats or bring you back to life (Sacrificial Jizo?). If SARS himself got one of these he would be unstoppable but the chances of him or any other uber-powerful participant getting it gets lower and lower with each additional entry. Its rather easy to come up with appropriate handicaps if you just have a little imagination and seeing as how you came up with this little idea it does seem like you've got it covered.

Word of advice though, make sure you figure out a system of recording who enters a tournament, who plays against whom and who wins what. Keep in mind that you cannot use ASCII art in this forum. I'd also like to remind you to not underestimate the amount of time this would take. You should also ask SARS now if he actually had something similar planned already. With all that out of the way, best of luck with the event, I hope it turns into a raging success and if you do run it, I'll see you in the duels. :wink:

EDIT: Oh and it would be a better idea to sort people in closer level ranges, for example 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 and so forth but that might leave few competitors in the higher range. Oh and in case you didn't notice I'm with Harukaze on not putting Nation Leaders in their own brackets. I'll wait to see how this thing evolves before I post my comments in again.

On a side note....good to see you posting again Random.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea of a east/west or north/south split is just so American in its conception and has no practical use. Remember that these splits only happen in real life because of travel problems and that it has no reason to exist in a fictional tournament except because you happen to like it.

That said, this is a potentially good idea and I hope it goes through. If, for some reason, it doesn't, I might try and run with it a bit.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All these ideas are being jotted down myself. Thank everyone for contributing their thoughts. I know running a tournament of this magnitude would be difficult and time consuming but I believe I'm ready to handle it. And sorry about the art. Also, the East/West idea was just to separate the teams so there could be some sort of bracket so each team would know who they were to compete against next. Nothing serious. I would very much like for the idea to pass, as well. And if SARSadmin is coming up with an idea similar to this then that's great and maybe this thread will give him some hints and ideas as to what forum members would like to see.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a lot of interesting possibilities, but I like the bracket idea, Revolving Sphere. Dividing the group up into divisions will keep things more organized and interesting.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Divisions, despite the commonly held theory, have no impact on organisation, in the hands of any competent organiser. Divisions are ALWAYS made due to some logistics problem such as travel time, they close up in time. For example, English sports had north/south divisions which summarily vanished as travel time became much shorter with advances in technology. America and Canada as far reaching countries have yet to overcome that. Hence regional divisions, they are not a matter of organisation.

And, play-offs, well, they give no real sense of superiority. If you beat someone in a final battle with one set-up how does it make you the best? Any number of independent factors could've made you win that particular battle.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well this all looks good Revolving Sphere and if you get ti up and running, and need help or ideas just let me know. I know how hard it is to do it with just the few members we have in our tournament, let alone a full blown board wide system.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I can only imagine how difficult it will be! But, I'm still willing to do it if it's give the 'ok' by SARSadmin and the other admins and moderators. I'll be sure to ask for help when (as I know I will) need it. ;-) And wow! John Layfield is there anything you aren't critical about? lol. I like your style!

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I strive for perfection in everyones ideas because I know they have the ability to reach it. :wink:

I only don't comment on the worthless and inept.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Revolving Sphere, If you need more help, I'd be happy to oblige.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the help ladies and gentlemen! I truly appreciate it. But, we still have to wait to see if SARSadmin will okay the idea.

Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well bracketing and dividing has always had a multiple purpose and having it in this contest would help out immensely. First and foremost you are right that the time taken to travel from one location to another was of utmost importance however when a knockout tournament got to 64, 128 or 256 and more competitors or teams it was logically much easier to split it into groups of 16 or 32 and give them divisions. The workload remains the same but it is far easier to separate who does what, not to mention that its less confusing for those organizing, participating and the general public.

If this event lifts off, which it very well could do, there will be 10 or so teams with about 12 or so members participating within each nation. Splitting the 120 or so members into two groups would cause far less confusion and it would reward more than just the one person who gets to the top. We would have a two champions and an ultimate champion and it is always better to have more winners, don't you agree?

My suggestion to you Revolving Sphere would be to first and foremost ask Sophita to allow you to do a test run of the system within Falena ONLY, to get the feel of how it would run and to test the waters on a few issues, especially to see how much work it would take per battle.

Secondly, do ask SARS's approval because if it clashes with something he already had in mind the whole concept goes to waste. Its usually better to have a successful smaller scale trial run in Falena and then move on out with it.

Finally, I'd start asking for members willing to help out with running the show here. Lord Dredd and Everyone's Grudge have already come forth, willing to help...I too would lend a hand but am currently swamped with my own little show (well several of them actually) but I'll do whatever I can to be an active participant and encourage participation and activity.

Once again, best of luck with it and jotting down notes is a great start. That's what I did too. :P However, might I suggest the use of MSExcel, MSAccess or a similar program to keep track of the rules, participants and members. Organization of the minor details is going to be a pain in the ass, I can tell you that much. :lol:
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

If this event lifts off, which it very well could do, there will be 10 or so teams with about 12 or so members participating within each nation. Splitting the 120 or so members into two groups would cause far less confusion and it would reward more than just the one person who gets to the top. We would have a two champions and an ultimate champion and it is always better to have more winners, don't you agree?

Except there wouldn't be different organisations running each 'division' as this seems to still be a one-person operation. And secondly, as a team battle and not a one-on-one tournament as stated, it's not in fact as you suggest, it's merely splitting 10-12 teams up. A waste which only dilutes the concept of finding the best.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well we'd have to leave that up to both Revolving Sphere and SARSadmin to decide. If it does get over a hundred competitors however it might be more reasonable for different members running different divisions and Revolving Sphere doing the overall workload. If it is smaller scale then there really would be no need for the split since it would be, as you said a one-person operation.

Even if teams do duel it would still have to be individual users battling it out one on one if the battle system and the stats SARS put in place are going to be used which I gather is the idea behind this whole little endeavor. If he does decide to keep it a team versus team thing, and I have no idea how he would accomplish this, then sorting wouldn't be as much of a problem. Splitting members into groups however just causes less confusion and frustration so I think it'll be a good idea.

As for the concept of finding the best.....we already KNOW who the best are. In short, SARSadmin followed by Sybillious. However, I don't believe that is the reason why Revolving Sphere is running this event. With the primary motive being to encourage activity, he already mentioned that this should be put in place as just a little, harmless, competitive fun. If you are really looking for "the best" you can just use the battle system and work your way through all the strong level duelists.

As the whole system is only in its design and implementation stage there really is not much point discussing what would be more effective until Revolving Sphere actually puts up more material to work with. In short, if there are over 32 members competing there should be some sort of a split. If not then as John Layfield said, it is somewhat pointless and a waste of both time and effort.

I'm getting a little too involved in this project whereas I should probably be concentrating on my own little projects, so I'll stay out of the suggestions and discussions here until enough decent material comes out.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I hope this idea of yours works out Revolving Sphere. It seems to be a great idea and I am intrigued to see how it develops.

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

!Shadow Wolf!, thanks for the welcome back, I think it was fitting that I was talking about randomising things though :D.

Revolving Sphere, I'd also like to offer my help if you need it. Personally I like the idea of 9 people per nation, and first to 5 wins goes through.
One thing to note is that if there are 12 nation groups, then after two rounds you would be down to 3 groups who could then all play eachother for the championship. If there were 10 nation groups, then after one round you would be down to 5 groups, and I think that that would be more difficult to manage.

Just a question, who is going to run the battle simulator, and post the results, and how will we know that there is no cheating?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: