Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tournament of Champions - The Nation Battle Tournament
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Tournament of Champions - The Nation Battle Tournament Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First, I'd like to thank Lord Dredd, a fellow Falenian for giving me this idea. He might not know why I'm thanking him, but I'm sure it will become apparently clear after reading this post. ;-)

Okay, hear me out ladies and gentlemen, I've thought of a way to promote activity on this board, as well as within individual nations. This idea would also make use of our individual statistics. How about a battle royal between the strongest members of each nation for a reward that takes place annually every two months? Yes, even Mercenaries and Blue Moon Villagers can participate as there would be a Mercenary and Blue Moon Village team

How this would work is that each group host a tryout within their respective group in order to draw out the strongest duelers to make a team of 6 members for each group to compete in an annual tournament between the 6 best fighters of each group. This would be a round robin tournament where each member of the 6 party group would need to win 2 rounds each in order to advance to the next round. So, Mercenaries would not be able to just rely on SARSadmin and Synchysi for victory.

This idea has come after pondering ways to promote unity and activity on this site, which we already have a good amount of, but it allows for another interesting twist during down time from battle phases. The idea is still in its raw stages, but I'd be willing to monitor the tournament myself every two months.

The draw for Mercenaries would be that they could get into the tournament just to display their skill and superiority. That way they advertise themselves to other nations to determine their worth. It's also a way for each nation to display their prowess and promote their strongest warriors for notoriety.

We could discuss the reward for which group wins the tournament at a later time if the idea passes. But, this idea would promote friendly competition between each group here and encourage people to create educated and lengthy post to increase their individual stats and bring more soldiers to their nation or group.

The breakdown of teams would be:

Holy Kingdom of Harmonia
Queendom of Falena
Scarlet Moon Empire
Highland Kingdom
Zexen Federation
Tinto Republic
Island Nations
Grasslands
Nameless Lands
City-States of Jowston
Mercenary
Blue Moon Village

This layout makes for an even 12 Team tournament. I would divide the Tournament into two separate divisions based on location on the battle map. The divisions would be East and West.

West:

Zexen Federation
Nameless Lands
Tinto Republic
Grasslands
Queendom of Falena
Mercenary

East:

Island Nations
City-States of Jowston
Holy Kingdom of Harmonia
Scarlet Moon Empire
Highland Kingdom
Blue Moon Village

So, please let me know what you guys think. It's just utilizing the duel system SARSadmin has already given us and giving it an actual function on this board besides the joy and agony of beating down various users here. Now, it would actually be public knowledge who the strongest usergroup or nation is. I hope this will receive favorable scrutiny, but if it doesn't it's just an idea and may lead to other brilliant schemes to bring more fun to this forum.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS

Last edited by Urn on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It appears that the Grasslands are in both the east and the west. And while I think this could be a somewhat cool idea, the problem is, there's a huge balance issue - or rather, a huge lack of balance issue. The Blue Moon Village and Mercenaries are going to win, hands down, because of SARSadmin himself - he's in both groups, and it's nigh on impossible to defeat him. Second place would have to go to Grasslands, because aside from SARSadmin, almost no one can beat Sybillious. You would have to find people from all groups who are of nearly equal levels and only permit them to enter, for this to be fair at all.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assume one of those Grassland entries is supposed to be the Island Nations. Harukaze is right about the balance issue between nations/factions such as the Blue Moon Village with SARSadmin, the only one capable of beating him is Sybillious if she gets lucky with the devastating criticals, this battle I have found to be roughly equal but with the edge to SARSadmin, trust me I've checked.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt that it could work like that. The nations with the strongest people would just keep on winning. There would have to be something else that made it so it would not rely solely on the stats. Also, there are people who belong to the Blue Moon Village as well a nation or are mercenaries.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that it would be difficult to work out how to make it a 'fair' tournament, as the Mercenaries do have a distinct advantage. But, I'll have you know that even SARSadmin has met defeat in a duel. So, it's not impossible, but yes, it is difficult. That's why I made it so that each person would have to win two rounds each. SARSadmin, Synchysi, and Sybillious are difficult to beat, but that's not the only members of the team, you still have 3 more members that must achieve two wins each.

I know that some Blue Moon Villagers are in the Mercenary usergroup, as well. They would have to decide which group they would want to associate with for the tournament. Alas, the idea is still in its raw stages. I'm sure I could think of a way to make it a 'fair' tournament if I think about it a little more. I just came up with the idea as soon as I posted it. And yes, the Island Nations were suppose to be in the East. Sorry about that.

Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing is, most nations don't have more than one person who could beat SARS, or even one at all. There would have to be major changes to your original plan before this could ever work. SARS has mentioned a tournament before, so I'm sure he has some ideas floating around in his head as to what he wants to do when he's ready.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excellent idea Revolving Sphere (or LD if he thought of it)!

How about this?

Pair off the nations at random, and then pair off the twelve combatants at random. Then the team with the most wins goes through. This means that even if sybillious goes unbeaten, that's only one win for her nation.
I think this is a fairer way.

Also since the Blue moon village and the mercenaries arn't nations, it might be better if they don't participate.

My 2 potch.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I understand the concern as to defeating SARSadmin, that's why I wanted to incorporate a team effort so that his efforts would contribute to victory, but not dominate the tournament itself.

The idea about excluding mercenaries and Blue Moon Villagers would more than likely solve the problem, but it would not allow them to participate which I'm trying to prevent from happening. I don't think they should be excluded just because they don't have a nation. I would like everyone to have fun and participate in the tournament.

I like the idea of randomly pairing off nations and pairing off twelve combatants and random, as well. That would make things a lot more balanced. That's a great idea RandomGuy!!! As would be expected from a fellow Falenian. But, we still have the problem of how to incorporate Mercenaries and Blue Moon Villagers into the activity. I just really don't want to exclude anyone.

Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a bad idea, however I just had to nitpick...

Quote:
How about a battle royal between the strongest members of each nation for a reward that takes place annually every two months?

Annually ... Every two months ... Right ... ? :?
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, any event that happens at a certain time, more than once, on a pre-scheduled date would be considered an annual event. So, an ongoing event that happens every two months would be an annual event, correct?

The best I can come up with right now is the random pairing off of nations as RandomGuy offered. Maybe their can be a heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight division, as well? So, that the user teams with high stat members could face off against each other and those with the most victories would win the tournament, and then we can do the same for teams with average stats, and teams with users with below average stats who are newer to the forum. We can have a level and stat cut off point for each division. That way everyone has a chance to win something.

But, I would definitely like the tournament to be team based so that nations can elect their members through some form of tryout. Maybe we can scrap the idea of two wins a piece and have a best out of 9 competition where the first to five victories advances and the competitors are randomly selected from each team to face off against one another.

This would only allow each competitor one appearance per battle and raise the amount of participants to 9 per team. This would make it harder for Blue Moon Villagers and Mercenaries to win, but give them a fair chance at victory and give other nations a fair chance, as well.

I'm still working on ideas, but I'm getting closer and closer to a workable system that would allow each member to have achance at winning something and be involved.

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really like the concept, but I think RandomGuy had the best idea for improvement, by making it more of a team event. That way, there's more balance for nations that have several solid members rather than just one or two really strong ones.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually I was for the whole team event from the very beginning. I never wanted it to be a one-on-one duel. But yes, RandomGuy did make invaluable additional ideas. His idea to randomize which nations would compete against each other was genius. We just need to come up with a better way to make the tournament more competitive. That's where my idea for three different divisions with a level max and minimum comes into play.

A 9 member team for 3 divisions in each nation would breed healthy and trying competition where each user would have a fair chance to tryout to participate in the tournament for a reward in one of three divisions. There could be a 1-10 level group, a 11-20 level group and a 21 and up level group. Or something of that sort.

This would make things a lot more competitive if the numbers are right and we can get 9 competitors for each group in each division. *Sigh* I've got to go back and check the numbers and stats of each indivdual member of each nation and group to see if this is feasible, but I believe it is.

Pilika

Uncle Jowy's Army

32500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds nice, but I think it would be kind of hard to organize.

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would sound more fair and easier to be a team battle. However, many nations probably only have 1 or 2 people that are level 21 or above, not including their leaders.

My suggestion is to have the leaders in a bracket of their own. If they are with us, then chances are that they will wipe the floor with us, no offense to anyone.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I think it should go by level, putting the Leaders in with everyone else depending on their level. There're at least a couple leaders I can tackle, and it looks like there're very few that good sir Wiseman can't handle. Level isn't everything, but it's a huge deciding factor; being a National Leader, on the other hand, has very -little- affect on anything, with the sole exception that most of them have a whole lot of Karma built up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: