Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Interest
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that it is nice that Konami is still making some kind of Suikoden game, it may not be like the others... but at least it has similar similarities that one could enjoy... such as the 108 stars of destiny.

I think a manga or anime would be awesome! Fans have wanted that for years, myself included.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm gonna para-quote (paraphrase and quote) something I said someplace else in a discussion similar to this topic....because I think it's really relevant....

Quote:
But the truth is that Tierkreis is a big 'anamoly' compared to the other games and what the article says is what a lot of long-time fans of series think as sad as it sounds...
(And you know I liked Tierkries too...but alas...it is a sad reality...)

Also...And I'm probably gonna get bricks thrown at me for saying this but... in this respect I'm kind of glad Tsumugareshi isn't localized yet because I think long-time fans will also be able to find things to bash about in Tsumugareshi as well...maybe more than Tierkries <_< well...depending on who does the bashing I guess....

So thank you Tierkries-haters from preventing Tsumugareshi from being localized *bows* [/sarcasm]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think its hard to blame the consumer for not buying something they don't want. If anything, blame Konami for not developing a product that returned enough profit to warrant localisation; in effect, Konami either misread its fan base or simply doesn't think the brand has enough potential to be profitable anymore.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No surprising Konami is stonewalling any attempts to get a straight answer, it's their modus operandi after all, lest we recall the access vex got way back when which was meant to be some 1on1 and actual information which turned into nothing special and same old same old politcking to really say nothing at all whilst rabbiting on a hell of a lot.

Still Tierkreis wasn't bad, it wasn't the nail in the coffin that many view it as, as some sort of abomination game, it was just, well, a game you'd likely see on facebook or social media sites for mine, it lacked any sort of defining substance that made you care for it, is characters, the motivations, the actions you undertake or just really bother to try for everything that could be achieved.

That is however a weak company model if you base decisions off of single instances, since the first instance in the main series Konami should have been aware interest in the series was relatively high in the "west", this interest was similarly tested with Suiko3's non PAL localisation (and I am so sick of the standard response of "we had issues, sorry" yes but what issues? Was it code? Was it manpower? was it Framerate drops? "we had issues, sorry" cyclical bullshit with Konami) they could reach audiences with releasing unreleased content (card stories / suikogaiden / suiko 2) on the PSN or via virtual licensing schemes and work with those who actually purchase the game as opposed to their attempt to state a new effort was attached to a compilation CD effort in Asia only? Then we get Tsumugareshi and it's almost entirely void of anything outside of the fishbowl that is Japan that the "lager picture" that is the global market is seemingly not Konami's main focus?

If they truly want the series to die then sell it off whilst it has some currency instead of continually nailing the coffin only to leave small gaps where the sun can shine through. Becuse that helps neither consumer confidence nor business acumen.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where am I with regards to the Suikoden series now, several years since Suikoden 5's release?

I want characters with pathos, plots with realism, interactions with complexity. I want the series to drop the anime cliches. I want it to stop using predictable plot formulas. I want a battle system I enjoy, instead of endure. I want gameplay flaws (that are immediately obvious to the players) to be noticed by the creators. I want gameplay aspects that are adored by the fanbase to not be dropped repeatedly. I want a main character that isn't a silent kid. I want popular characters to come back, helping to secure a longer-lasting more loyal fanbase who will buy a game at the mere suggestion that their precious black knight or gunner makes an appearance.

I want to be able to show friends the game without feeling embarrassed and making excuses for all the obvious flaws, and then implying to them that the game is a guilty pleasure.

I want the series to take itself seriously.

But what I get are poorly executed cutscenes, extremely embarrassing motion-capture, overly-simplistic army battles, cartoonish villains, shrill voice acting...

...and beavers.

Some may wonder why the original series never took off after 5+ games and a (once) rabid fanbase.

The fans matured. Expectations matured. The standards of video games matured. Suikoden didn't mature with any of those and continued languishing with fans' faith and the creators' good intentions and nothing else.

And I've no confidence at all that it can catch up to even the most basic of modern-day gaming expectations.

The first three games were great. I've got my memories.

(Ironically, I enjoyed Tierkreis more than Suikodens 4 or 5...but I wouldn't call it a Suikoden game. It shares the name and not much else.)

^Actual quote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: